2017/18 Jet RDO Fox DPS EVOL Setup?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2017/18 Jet RDO Fox DPS EVOL Setup?

Just built out a 2017 Jet RDO and was wondering how everyone is setting up their Fox DPS EVOLs?

I have done one ride so far setting sag at a little over 30% 205 PSI (210ish lbs geared up) found it to have too much ramp up and really donít like having that much sag with such little travel.

So made a ghetto spacer band out of a tube for the EVOL negative chamber reducing it by 2/3rds and also remove the volume spacer added (20 psi) to get less ramp up.

Bouncing around the neighborhood already feels like itís going to be much better (plusher with a smoother ramp up). Test this setup out here early next week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Interesting. I went the other direction. At 210 lbs I was blowing thru my travel too easy. I added volume spacers. Havenít had a ride on the bike since to report.
    Last edited by fiveo; 06-04-2018 at 04:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Removing the volume spacer did not work out so well, blowing through travel. So put that back in leaving the negative chamber spacer reducer band in. Not sagging is as much now at same PSI, will see how it rides here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Strange, I weigh 210lbs and I find I need to run around 300 psi to get 25% sag on jet 9 with a Monarch debonair and about the same psi on the fox dpx2 on the rip 9.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So not to hijack the thread. But Iím curious about how far apart are the new Jet and Rip? Enough to justify owing the two? I love the Jet but in places like Sadona, Moab and Grand Junction I find itís limits

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matixsnow View Post
    Strange, I weigh 210lbs and I find I need to run around 300 psi to get 25% sag on jet 9 with a Monarch debonair and about the same psi on the fox dpx2 on the rip 9.
    Here is the Jet/Rip setup guide, looks like the Monarch requires more PSI.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/NinerDocs/T...HOCK_SETUP.pdf

mtbr member
    2017/18 Jet RDO Fox DPS EVOL Setup?-img_20180626_054332534.jpg

Was able to get the Fox DSP EVOL perfectly tuned LOL

Replaced it with a Manitou Mcleod 190x50, spacering it down to 186x46 instead of 184x44. This gives me about 5mm of extra travel and gets the bottom bracket up close to 13.9 inches with a 140 fork. Prefect BB height for me, making it nice not having to worry about pedal strikes climbing or pedaling through chunky/rocky terrain. Also be good if I pick up a set of 27.5+ wheels for it. It steepened the HA a tiny bit, probably at 67.3 now.

Mcleod is nice improvement over the FOX. Quite a bit smoother/plusher over small bumps and smoother through chunky/rocky terrain with the IPA setting wide open, does not have that stiffish/pedal platform feel of the FOX. Setting the IPA setting to 2 or closed gives it a nice pedal platform that still moves smoothly and is great for climbing or riding smoother trails.

Chilling out
    You may be think about over-shocking my RIP9, just not sure of the options. Maybe one of the new metric would be suitable for a little bit of growth. Hmmm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hmmm. This might be a solution for me Iím looking for extra rear travel out of my Jet. The 120mm gets quickly over powered on long chunky decents.

Anyone know any other shock options for a plusher rear end and possibly more travel?

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Hmmm. This might be a solution for me Iím looking for extra rear travel out of my Jet. The 120mm gets quickly over powered on long chunky decents.

Anyone know any other shock options for a plusher rear end and possibly more travel?
    You may not need more shock stroke, way back in the day the 1st time I had a 5" bike in Moab it had a Fox Float rear shock that became uncomfortably hot to the touch during long descents. I lowered the shock psi so that I had an additional 10% sag at start of rides and it was much better, didn't stiffen up on long descents, but clearly there was a down side.

A shock with a reservoir may mitigate that effect, as may a shock you can run a lower PSI in for same sag (think: larger air can).

Clearly combining all factors may yield the most fun ... slightly longer stroke, larger air volume, more oil in the damper - maybe with a reservoir if it fits.

Lacking the last but with larger air and oil volume, the Can Creek DBinline I loved on my old Yeti SB95, odds are it'd have a fitment for the JET9.

Just rambling here. ;^)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have been considering a piggy back shock. But not sure if one would fit.

mtbr member
    Have few rides now with extra volume "King Can" on the Mcleod set to half/intermediate volume, adding 20 more PSI over the standard volume can.

This reduced the sag which is now little over 20%, firmed up the mid stroke a little (notice little less pedal bob), getting 90/95% travel on normal/hard rides and have nice 75% usable travel range that feels great in the chunky stuff.

This is such a great bike!!

2017/18 Jet RDO Fox DPS EVOL Setup?-img_20180801_064942742.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    With the new shock you say it steepened the HA. Would it be possible to slack it back out by bumping the fork out to 150mm?

A 125/150mm Jet would be awesome. If I could have two shocks be able to run 120/130 for race. and 125 or 130 /150 for trail. Iíd be in heaven.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Does anyone know if the Fox DPS on the Jet comes with volume spacers installed as part of it's tune? I'm considering the DPX2, but I should probably give the DPS a try before I replace. The Manitou looks like it's working well, but I kinda want to match my Factory fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I added one med to mine. I donít think any come from the factory Shop put it in for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did it help with not bottoming out as much?

I just checked and mine supposedly came with a .2 spacer according to the 4 digit code.

According to this chart, I can go to a .6.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I has helped. That might have been why my shop was only able to fit a med sized spacer. Iím about 200 lbs loaded up. I never felt any hard hits. But I was blowing through all my travel.

I no longer bottom out. I have found the DPS works well in XC type conditions. But no so much in chunky rocky terrrain with repedative hits. Iím hoping switching to a DPX2 will be the solution.

Iíd really like to be able to bump up the travel a bit too
    Last edited by fiveo; 08-01-2018 at 04:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Still playing around with Mcleod setup. I ditched King Can and went back to the standard can, taking out one of the reducing spacers which puts shock at 187.5X47.5. Estimating the extra 3.5mm longer stroke probably getting close to 130mm travel now with 2.8ish to 1 leverage.

Running it with more sag (close to 30%) which is taking up some of the extra stroke length. Only one ride so far with this setup and it feels really good. Small bumps are even better and plush/plusher through the big rough stuff, think I will end up leaving it at this setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Still playing around with Mcleod setup. I ditched King Can and went back to the standard can, taking out one of the reducing spacers which puts shock at 187.5X47.5. Estimating the extra 3.5mm longer stroke probably getting close to 130mm travel now with 2.8ish to 1 leverage.

Running it with more sag (close to 30%) which is taking up some of the extra stroke length. Only one ride so far with this setup and it feels really good. Small bumps are even better and plush/plusher through the big rough stuff, think I will end up leaving it at this setup.

Are you saying you have a 130mm Jet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Are you saying you have a 130mm Jet?
    129.52mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Would increasing the front fork to 150MM return the HA back to stock?

Hey I just saw your in AZ What part? Id really like to check out your set up.
    Last edited by fiveo; 08-12-2018 at 01:10 PM.

mtbr member
    2017/18 Jet RDO Fox DPS EVOL Setup?-img_20180812_133923486.jpg

Nothing super special.

Older Pike 140
    Light Bicycle 38mm carbon wheels
    Carbon cranks/bars
    11 Speed Sram drive train
    2.5 Aggressor tires
    28lbs

I think a 150 fork would probably be too much fork for the bike and throw off the geo.

The head angle is probably about the same with me running 30% with it at 187.5x47.5 mm as 184x44mm set at 25% sag, about 67 degrees.

A Works angle head set would slacken it out. But I think the HA is perfect where it is at, any slacker to me you are going to take away nimbleness and make front wheel floppy on climbs.

https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/10...ube-1160-p.asp

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I curious how the Mcloed would do on longer descents like Nation compared to the Fox DPX2 wich has the piggy back reservoir

mtbr member
    Doesn't increasing the shock travel on the Jet9 make the rear tire hit the seat post at full travel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri Geminy View Post
    Doesn't increasing the shock travel on the Jet9 make the rear tire hit the seat post at full travel?
    No, with a 190x50 reduced to 187.5x47.5 when fully compressed they are the same length.

mtbr member
    This spacer setup, can it only be done to a Mcleod shock? Can this be done to other shocks too? I happen to have an extra Rockshox, 190x50, from another Jet9.