17 Jet RDO 27.5+ or 29?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

17 Jet RDO 27.5+ or 29?

Ready to pull the trigger an order a 3 star Jet RDO. Just need to decide between 27.5+ or 29.

I ride a variety or trails in AZ. Tech trails in Sedona and So Mtn (National). Travel to Moab and St George where I think the 27.5+ would benefit

But I also ride trails that would favor the 29 wheel set in Flagstaff, Prescott and some of my local Phoenix trails

I'd also like to do some endurance races with 29 wheels

My question is. Is the bike really two different animals depending on which wheels you ride? Or can you get the same benefits of the plus tires by going with a 29x6 tire?

Two sets or tires for trail and XC is a lot cheaper then two wheel sets.

mtbr member
    Do you already ride a 29er? Do you race on it?

Yes, the bike will be 2 different animals. In my experience.

A 29x6 tire? You mean 2.6? That's a ton of rotating weight. I put on 2.5 Minion DHF, DH Casing, they weigh around 1200g each. I immediately felt that weight and gyroscopic effect it creates. But once they get up to speed they will smash everything.

I love the feeling of the quick turning 27.5x2.8 and the plush carpet ride it creates, but I wouldn't race on it. Don't trust the thin sidewalls and with the speed and gnar of a race, you'll want tires made for that, which isn't the 2.8's.

Two sets of wheels/tires are a heck of a lot cheaper than 2 different bikes
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Rocks belong
    29er
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I already have an Air9 HT that I am selling.

I guess my question is. With a 29er 2.6 so you get the nearly same effect as + tire?

Chilling out
    Budget a 2nd wheelset, mount whichever best for the weekend. :^)

Honestly, both will work super well in your declared riding area and I don't think you'll be unhappy with either - I've spent some time on AZ and CO and UT amongst other locations - and have ridden my RIP9 in CO, UT, and on the eastern seaboard AND have ridden both 29er and 27.5 wheelsets - so I have a clue here.

There's more DURABLE 29er tires available than 27.5x2.8 at the moment, but I didn't have a problem bombing around Moab and Gunnison and Denver last fall on my Rekon 2.8 tires (I'm 230# riding weight). I'm not a believer in "low tire pressure for the sake of it" though - ran my 2.8 tires at 25-30 psi when out west.

I hate flats.

Whole Enchilada was stupid fun.

FWIW, even though they're as a system about 600g heavier, I currently prefer my Continental 29er Trail King / Kaiser Projekt combo ( 2.4" Protection/Apex casings ). Just seems to suit me more, but there's definitely a weight cost.

If you MUST have only one wheelset, I'd punt and go 27.5 at this time for better sand/pea-gravel float. {shrug}

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm a thinking correctly that the new Jet will be more of a trail bike if I go plus?

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    I'm a thinking correctly that the new Jet will be more of a trail bike if I go plus?
    I think it's pretty much a solid trail bike either way, whether plus or not is more about the trail tread you particularly have to deal with IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Bear. PM sent

Not the fake Jay Leno

Cool-blue Rhythm Jet 9 27.5+ in da haus

Got my Jet 9 27.5 3 Star XT put together this week! After a couple of rides on my local trails, I'm really glad I got the 27.5 plus wheels. As others have said, there is more rolling resistance on smooth up or flat trails, but the bike is great in rocky, techy areas going up and especially going down. There is so much control on the chunky stuff, that I feel it is completely worth it for the areas that I ride. I swapped out the seat and grips. Both are pretty horrible. The Niner seat feels like you are literally sitting on a 2x4. I'm still getting used to the gearing with 32t front x 11-46t rear. I was running 30t front x 11-42t on my old bike. The jump from 37t to 46t takes some getting used to, but I think I'll get it. The shift from 37t to 46t is surprisingly smooth and uneventful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17 Jet RDO 27.5+ or 29?-img_0823.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    17 Jet RDO 27.5+ or 29?-img_1849.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Got my Jet 9 27.5 3 Star XT put together this week! After a couple of rides on my local trails, I'm really glad I got the 27.5 plus wheels. As others have said, there is more rolling resistance on smooth up or flat trails, but the bike is great in rocky, techy areas going up and especially going down. There is so much control on the chunky stuff, that I feel it is completely worth it for the areas that I ride. I swapped out the seat and grips. Both are pretty horrible. The Niner seat feels like you are literally sitting on a 2x4. I'm still getting used to the gearing with 32t front x 11-46t rear. I was running 30t front x 11-42t on my old bike. The jump from 37t to 46t takes some getting used to, but I think I'll get it. The shift from 37t to 46t is surprisingly smooth and uneventful.
    I just got mine as well and totally agree with Chinman regarding advantages of the Jet 9 RDO 27.5+ on rocky, techy and chunky stuff. So much fun on repeated hits and choosing creative lines going down and up. The Rekons are a lot faster rolling than expected and grip well. It wasn't an easy choice to not get the 29 but glad I chose the 27.5 and can always have the ability to go 29 with a set of wheels but not expecting to anytime soon. 17 Jet RDO 27.5+ or 29?-img_1843.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I already have an Air9 HT that I am selling.

I guess my question is. With a 29er 2.6 so you get the nearly same effect as + tire?
    I've got 29 x 2.6 Nobby Nic's on my Tallboy, and they are NO WAY comparable to a 27.5 x 3.0 + tire. There isn't that "extra" volume you get with the 27.5+. I really like the 2.6, but I definitely would not consider it to have the same characteristics of a plus tire.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2
    Cannondale CAAD12
    Niner RLT9
    Salsa Fargo
    Niner SIR9 27.5+
    Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ordered a 2018 3 star in 27.5. I'll build up some 29 wheels later.

Ended up getting Eagle with the 2018.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Congrats! Looking forward to your initial impressions!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I know some bikes that can both 29 and 27.5 have issues with pedal strikes in 27.5+ mode (even with the longer spec'ed forks and flip chip set to high. Has this been and issue with the Jet in 27.5+ mode?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Called Niner today to ask about 2018 27.5+ coming with 140mm or 130mm since it the 18 has the Fox and not the Pike. Rep told me the 2018 27.5+ now has a new headset which solved the BB bracket issue requiring a 140mm fork to raise the BB. The 2018 is spec with 130mm fork both in 27.5 and 29

I'll know soon enough. Heading to Moab shortly after I get her.
    Last edited by fiveo; 08-23-2017 at 04:27 PM.

10,000,000 Watts
    Cool, I'm happy for you. I was gonna mention the fork difference but doesn't matter now. I believe the downhills are more fun on the 27.5, but everywhere else including BB strikes I prefer the 29 wheels. Just my personal preferences. Gonna be a sweet ride!
    Mountain Bikers Do It Til They Bonk!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Now I just need to sell my alu Air9 to finance my carbon 29 wheelset

Chilling out
    Now I just need to sell my alu Air9 to finance my carbon 29 wheelset
    Or do it in stages like I am, I got a good deal on an I9 hubset and got my local guy to build up the wheelset with "cheap" Stan's Flow Mk3 rims.

Or maybe for the JET it's more appropriate for the Arch Mk3 ? They're lighter than the Flow by a bit (453g vs 527g) so not as much weight difference to carbon (LB AM928 rim claims 430g).

Next year or over the winter, whenever I end up with the $ for it, I'll get some carbon rims in for when the Stan's "need" replacing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Called Niner today to ask about 2018 27.5+ coming with 140mm or 130mm since it the 18 has the Fox and not the Pike. Rep told me the 2018 27.5+ now has a new headset which solved the BB bracket issue requiring a 140mm fork to raise the BB. The 2018 is spec with 130mm fork both in 27.5 and 29

I'll know soon enough. Heading to Moab shortly after I get her.
    FiveO,

Can you elaborate more? Thinking about this 27.5+ and didn't know there was an issue with the BB requiring a 140mm fork. Granted I don't know all the issues but thinking a 140mm fork is better than a taller headset with a 130mm fork??

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by riding29 View Post
    FiveO,

Can you elaborate more? Thinking about this 27.5+ and didn't know there was an issue with the BB requiring a 140mm fork. Granted I don't know all the issues but thinking a 140mm fork is better than a taller headset with a 130mm fork??
    The 2017 27.5+ came stock with a 140mm fork and the 29er came with a 130mm. I think the 140mm Fork was just a bandaide to raise the BB. When I talked to them they told me they tweaked the geo with a headset cup alleviating the need for the 140mm fork. I think Niner likes the bike at 130mm. I personally wanted the 140mm for trail riding So I will like many others have done do the 140 air shaft swap

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 2017 27.5+ came stock with a 140mm fork and the 29er came with a 130mm. I think the 140mm Fork was just a bandaide to raise the BB. When I talked to them they told me they tweaked the geo with a headset cup alleviating the need for the 140mm fork. I think Niner likes the bike at 130mm. I personally wanted the 140mm for trail riding So I will like many others have done do the 140 air shaft swap
    fiveo, will you have to purchase a headset that's compatible with a 140 fork or do you know if Niner includes both sizes of headsets with the Jet? I think Rocky Mountain includes 2 headsets with their bike that convert between 29 and 27.5+. Congrats on your new bike! Any pics?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ok. Others may chime in that are much tech savy then me. As far as I know Niner doesn't do flip chips or head set swaps to change their geo between 27.5 and 29. The mod to a 140mm Fork was a personal choice for many. I plan to do it just to increase my front travel.

I could be wrong. But I would venture to say the 2017 27.5+ running a 140mm Fork was a bandaid to low BB problem so they could get bikes out there for 2017

But if you look at a lot of 120/130 29ers (429t, Ripley) many people are jumping the front end up from 130mm to 140mm to make the bike more trail worthy

......But now that I think of it. Not sure if you would need to swap out head sets to run 140mm fork to keep the HA inline

Chilling out
    Fwiw, I have been riding a 17 rip9 for almost a year now, bought as 27.5 but have 29 wheels too. So, I have the 170mm Lyrik fork on mine.

I live in NE PA so pedal strikes happen. More with 27.5? A little, at first, but no less likely really with 29 wheels ... 10mm or so just is not that huge a difference once you setup sag (30% for me taste on this bike).

Head angle? Also not a big deal, but IMO if one is getting the jet or rip and the are very focused on laser tight twitchy turning they are are shopping the wrong bikes. (Shrug)

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

SPECIALizED
    I purchased my Jet as a plus with the 140 fork. I noticed when I ran my 29s that the front end seemed to wander on technical single track. I moved one spacer above the stem and the problem is all but eliminated. As far as pedal strikes go I did experience quite a few in the beginning but now no more than on my last mountain bike. FYI I have three spacers above my stem and one below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSed View Post
    I purchased my Jet as a plus with the 140 fork. I noticed when I ran my 29s that the front end seemed to wander on technical single track. I moved one spacer above the stem and the problem is all but eliminated. As far as pedal strikes go I did experience quite a few in the beginning but now no more than on my last mountain bike. FYI I have three spacers above my stem and one below.
    I'm probably going to show my ignorance here. But are you talking about spacers on your steering tube above and below your handle bars?
    Last edited by fiveo; 09-04-2017 at 08:09 AM.

SPECIALizED
    I'm probably going to show my ignorance here. But are you talking about spacers ion your steering tubbe above and below your handle bars?
    Yes.