29.6mm seat collar size on MCR- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

29.6mm seat collar size on MCR

will a thomson 29.8mm seat collar work also on the MCR, there are almost none 29,6mm seat collasr to find,who can tell? thanx

mtbr member
    I'm not sure about your particular frame, but when I was looking for seat post clamps, the clamps were spec'd to the seatpost riser's outside diameter, but the seatpost itself is measured by inside diameter.

So, if your seat post is 29.6mm, you should be looking for a clamp about 31mm.

FWIW, the clamps for my 31.6 seat posts were listed as 33.something mm. All I remember is that I bought a 31.something mm clamp, and it was for the 29.6.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thanks, the seatpost is27.2mm niner advises to use a 29.6mm collar,there is one available on their site, but otherwise none to find in the size 29.6 so all mcr frames have niner made collars, i doubt that?

mtbr member
    Yeah, the 29.8mm collar should work fine then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    A 30.0 Hope worked fine on mine.

MTBR Member
    I originally started with a Salsa 30.0 clamp on my MCR, but found that the seatpost would slip down over the course of a regular ride(~3hrs). After going to a 29.6 the post holds better, but I still find it dropping a little every ride - usually have to adjust it up a few more MM. That's my only issue(and it's not much of one) with the MCR frame. It is a great ride. The best HT XC bike I have owned.

**I have weighed anywhere from 190-200lbs since I have owned the frame, so if you are lighter YMMV.

Rodizio
    Jul 2011
    reviving an old thread here but just a related question...

I wanted to buy a Thomson seat collar; I currently have a Thomson Elite seatpost (30.9). The stock seatpost on the bike was 30.9 so I just bought the Thomson to match. I can't find the Thomson seat collar to match the 30.9, the closest is 31.8

There are only 4 or 5 sizes for the seat collars, so I'm assuming some people have better fits than others. Is anyone else riding a 30.9 seatpost with a 31.8 seat collar? how does it fit?

or any other opinions in general...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post
    I'm not sure about your particular frame, but when I was looking for seat post clamps, the clamps were spec'd to the seatpost riser's outside diameter, but the seatpost itself is measured by inside diameter.

So, if your seat post is 29.6mm, you should be looking for a clamp about 31mm.

FWIW, the clamps for my 31.6 seat posts were listed as 33.something mm. All I remember is that I bought a 31.something mm clamp, and it was for the 29.6.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticKJ View Post
    reviving an old thread here but just a related question...

I wanted to buy a Thomson seat collar; I currently have a Thomson Elite seatpost (30.9). The stock seatpost on the bike was 30.9 so I just bought the Thomson to match. I can't find the Thomson seat collar to match the 30.9, the closest is 31.8

There are only 4 or 5 sizes for the seat collars, so I'm assuming some people have better fits than others. Is anyone else riding a 30.9 seatpost with a 31.8 seat collar? how does it fit?

or any other opinions in general...
    You need to measure the outside diameter of the seat tube on the bike. All I can guarantee is that it will be bigger than 30.9mm. Typically you will be looking for a 34 to 35mm seat clamp.

mtbr member
    MystikKJ - you will need a 34.9mm clamp for the EMD 9. It may sound like clamp size is interchangeable but there isn't much margin for error. A 35mm clamp will work well (some manufacturers only make one size or the other) but if you stray more than .1mm from the spec you run the risk of the clamp not doing its job properly as ncfisherman noted above. Too big and the post slips, too small and it's a bear to install.

The vast number of available sizes is a legacy of tubing experiments in different frame materials over the years. You will find that 34.9 is a very common size.

We have collected all these specs in the NINER ENCYCLOPEDIA available on our website: Niner Bikes | The Big Revolution

Jordan

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

Peace,
    Niner Bikes

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com