UFO ST questions- Mtbr.com
    ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

UFO ST questions

I quite tempted to replace my fatty Banshee Scream frame with a Ufo ST...I plan to transfer all the components from one frame to another but I need to know rear hub and bb lenght as well...I would like to know how the Ufo st performs in dh and freeride areas compared to my Scream and frame weight with a Fox dhx5 (steel coil...)....

mtbr member
    Hy,
    The rear hub is 135mm*12mm.
    The BB is 73mm or 68mm.
    The 2008 frame weight 5.0kg in size M !
    It's a really good bike for freeride, and for downhill in technical tracks, but its stability is not good enough to perform World Cup downhills with high speed.
    Never enough singletracks !

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    thanks for your info...what do you mean with 73mm or 68mm?could you choose between these two lenghts??Im not thinking about using it at the World Champiosn , Im just looking for a lighter frame than my Scream which is a pig! so I guess I would cope with this lack of stability.., I plan to use it mainly for light DH and bikepark resort, not very big drops though..., cheers again!

Quote Originally Posted by samwell
    Hy,
    The rear hub is 135mm*12mm.
    The BB is 73mm or 68mm.
    The 2008 frame weight 5.0kg in size M !
    It's a really good bike for freeride, and for downhill in technical tracks, but its stability is not good enough to perform World Cup downhills with high speed.

mtbr member
    All new BB with external bearings can be put on 68 or 73 mm frames !
    There are two other standarts : 83mm and 100mm for DH bikes.
    So every normal crank can be put on the UFO ST !
    When you say "lack of stability", it's not easy to get to the limits of this bike so it's just that it's not as stable as a nucleon or a Helius ST, but it's really enough
    By the way, you can't imagine how fun this bike is, I've even made dirt jump with it and its geometry is so good that you can do what you want with this bike
    Believe me, it will be perfect for the use that you'll have

"Its All Good"
    ban, if you scope out the Geo Specs below, you can for sure see that the UFO ST will indeed be more flicable and more fun in the tight stuff.... Slightly shorter wheelbase, shorter TT...

So concur fully with samwell's comments, this frame built up would be a blast....

I would think that Boone and Err will chime in, Err is away for some riding over the thanksgiving break....

Look forward to hear what you procede with whatever it is...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Whafe thanks for the info...actually, Im a bit torn between a Transition Blindside and a Ufo st...I suppose the Blindside is more DH oriented as it has a very low bb and a long wheelbase so...I dont know what to do..!! anyway, being 5.7", what size should I choose??I was thinking a M...

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    ban, if you scope out the Geo Specs below, you can for sure see that the UFO ST will indeed be more flicable and more fun in the tight stuff.... Slightly shorter wheelbase, shorter TT...

So concur fully with samwell's comments, this frame built up would be a blast....

I would think that Boone and Err will chime in, Err is away for some riding over the thanksgiving break....

Look forward to hear what you procede with whatever it is...

mtbr member
    For the size, you are between S and M, so you'll have to choose if you want a really fun bike ou a more oriented DH one, and if I were you I would choose size M, it will be perfect for what you want to do with this bike !
    My father, who has an ufo-st and who is 5.7" too is really happy with his bike and he thinks that the size is perfect. For my 6" it's really easy to ride but a little too short for DH races.
    As you said, the transition is more DH oriented, and so will be less fun to ride in bikeparks, but better for DH. But since you're not planning to do WC's
    Good luck for the choose, it's not an easy thing

"Its All Good"
    ban, the Blindside is a sweet looking ride, with the awesome backup of the Transition company, but it is indeed a full on haul ass DH sled, long wheel base, built for speed...

For what you describe, still feel the UFO is going to give you the flexibility to do what you wish, but also have avery playful steed at the same time...

Its such a tough decision nowadays, so many awesome bikes out there....Best of luck...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

a tight kick sound
    Holy bejesus, cannot believe I have been out of this for so long. My apologies
    This UFO ST is one of the most fun bikes I have ever ridden!!. Very dialed geo for all kinds of riding, feels comfortable at high speeds or slow, tracks VERY well in corners and is incredably stiff. Jumps very comfortably, no issues. Pivots are solid as shiz and bearings HUGE!!! Oh and did I mention is is versatile?
    I tried to stay out of the other thread on UFO st as the OP was asking about my very bike

Ok, at 5 7 you are I would think between a small and medium. I am 5 11 and have found that for whipping this thing around the medium is great. However, if I wanted a full on DH racer for most of the stuff I do and for extended climbs a large would have been better. So for you a small if you want flickable and Dj/slopestyle, medium if you want climbing and Full on DH racing.

It will be hard for me to compare to the scream as I have never ridden one. However, those guys at banshee build a beauty of a bike and that scream is built like a brick **** house!

I would say some of the things that are going to set the ufo apart from the scream would include: 1) lower BB (not exactly sure what the scream is, assuming ~14") making cornering lazer accurate 2) 12mm maxle for quick take down (though one can go on the scream if you work hard at it) 3) adjustability...I don't know of any frame with more adjustments than the ufo...anywhere from 6.5 X 6.5 with air all around at about 35 lbs to full on 8 x 8 coil all around and about 40lbs. Plus there are shock adjustment holes to change geo without changing shocks. 4) ufo uses a 1.5 HT which for bigger single crown forks is nice to have all the options. 5) Can you find a prettier weld than those laid down by Nicolai?

Other things to think about are 1) warranty: banshee is 2 years (not sure if it is transferable) nicolai is 5 years transferable (with original purchase paper work) 2) CS- Nicolai seems to be stepping it up lately with extra help in the USA. Matt the US rep has been nothing but great to me and with the additional help of Err at BSCs you will not go uncared for; banshee- dudes look out for their customers and very often ask opinions on the owners bike and rides and what they think. No fist hand CS problems with banshee here so to further speculate would be unfair. All I have heard has been great.

Some faults on the UFO ST: 1) you cannot use the front Der at full travel..contact 2) tire clearance could be a little more for really nasty mud and big tires 3) ther is some considerable pedal feedback with longer travel settings for pedal rich sections. That is about all I could find bad.

To sum er up: great bike, fast (nice rearward axle path for square hits on the DH runs), corners almost too good (have been tossed a couple times not paying attention), and extremely versatile.

If you have any more specific questions please feel free to ask. Good luck with your choice.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    boone!, cheers for the info on the Ufo, it's very helpful and it seems to fulfill my expectations....the Ufo looks like a blast ride, ...right now, I cant make up my mind between a Ufo and a Transition Blindside....once I sell my Scream frame, I will have to deal with this tough decision!cheers again!!

a tight kick sound
    Back at ya Ban.
    Blindside from tranny is cool too

For the UFO st if you are interested Err was SUPER to deal with when I bought my ufo. Has been ever since too

Not to be a bike pusher but hit me up if you are at all in the used frame market
    I can pass along a great deal and service that were given to me!! This is not spam as I only want this frame to go to a good home if it goes at all!!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Back at ya Ban.

For the UFO st if you are interested Err was SUPER to deal with when I bought my ufo. Has been ever since too

Not to be a bike pusher but hit me up if you are at all in the used frame market
    I can pass along a great deal and service that were given to me!! This is not spam as I only want this frame to go to a good home if it goes at all!!

Yep, Boone's frame has the full Nicolai warranty still and an service that you may need we can handle.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    heheehe, okay Boone, I will keep you in mind...cheers!!
    Back at ya Ban.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    heheheehe, Okay Boone, I will keep you in mind, cheers
    Back at ya Ban.

Members who have read this thread: 0