Tell me all about the Geometron 29- Mtbr.com
    Err
    Calm like a bomb

Tell me all about the Geometron 29

Ok, so been reading up on this whole Geometron and Mondraker forward geo thing. Quite intriguing, especially since I love me some pedaling to steep/gnarly terrain and I ride quite a lot of moto. I get that the 27.5 bike is rad and Chris thinks it's the way to go. But, damn if I don't almost always end up preferring 29 when ridden back to back with 27.5. No hate on 27.5, had a Nomad 3 for 2 years and rode the piss out of it. Currently on a BMC Trailfox TF01 with a Push 11.6 and a Float 36 up front and HTA set at 65. I've been on some bikes with much longer reach and have got on with the really well. Thinking hard about a Geometron 29. I'm in the States, mainly ride the Utah, Colorado, Wyoming zone except I spend about 1/2 my summers in Whistler. So, I'll be pedaling lots of vertical and lapping the ****e out of the WBP on this beast.

Anyhow, curious to have a thread focusing on the 29'er, who has ridden, what are your thoughts? I know there are only a few in existence but I figure a few contributors here have been lucky enough to try one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Tell me all about the Geometron 29

There will be a different 29er from September/Eurobike. A stock bike not custom. The 29 is currently only a custom bike.it will not be a direct 29 and/or 27.5 comparison really as it is with custom 29s built so far.
    You can't really compare the 27.5 GeoMeteon with any other 27.5 bikes, there are no others with even close to the reach(for the intended size of person) or head angle. It just rides nothing like them. It's far closer to the ride feel of a 29 as you're used to but with more manoeuvrability.
    Both are quite different to other bikes as much due to steering characteristics and how the bike carves in corners and how you drive the front.

I'll get some time on the new 29 in the not too distant (after the end of the month) and can report back.

In the meantime maybe Loamranger will chip in here.
    I think he was surprised, as a die hard 29er fan and big guy that he preferred the 27.5.

I'll try and grab some time on the current 29 in the next few weeks and give you a more detailed comparison to my LT GeoMetron 27.5.

What kind of thing do you want to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by the_pilot; 08-13-2016 at 01:59 AM.
    Aka chainline...

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Production bike starting in the fall? Well now that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.
    I've 5 Nicolai's over the years so generally familiar with the brand and the order process.

Certainly appreciate that it's a big departure from most production bikes, esp in terms of the long front combined with a longish rear. But that's what is so intriguing. I'm always carrying on that mtb's should pull more from Moto and this looks to be just that.

The 27.5 vs 29 chatter is interesting. I actually own both wheel sizes still and like them both but there's something about 29" wheels and my style that just seem to go together. Would be super interesting to buy one of each for a compare except I don't want to live off Ramen. Lol

Oh I do have a question, any room to fit a water bottle cage?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think water bottle cage could be tight but possible under TT on the XL I reckon. You'd have to order some mounts though at an up charge.
    You have a distributer in the US now so ordering should be easier.

Aka chainline...

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Cool, I'd likely be looking at the Long so probably have to get creative. I pretty much never ride with a pack any more so having a bottle mount is handy. Might be able to fit one under the down tube similar to the current crop of Yetis.

You hear if geometry of the production bikes is planned to deviate from the protos? From what I've read so far, the 29er is nearly identical in geo to the 27.5 version except for 7 mm shorter reach (assume that's 7mm shorter in each size) and the chain stays bump from 445 to 450 mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There are some changes, although small. Expect reach to be equivalent in both wheel sizes.
    Long? As in S? How tall are you?
    You can put a cage on the underside of downtube no problem.

I'd also say if you want the all day all round bike AND are lapping the s#%t out of WBP I would say the 27.5 would be the bike but I've never ridden WBP so don't know exactly what's there.
    You'll see all of them come out at Eurobike.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    New range
    https://issuu.com/why_gbr/docs/nicol...-2017-final_x1

Aka chainline...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Me wants Argon GLF...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    This vapourware frame has myself highly intrigued...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Punky, I put it in the other thread to PM me your email and I will get Mojo to respond to you. I have a good idea of what sizes work for most people now as does Mojo. there is a US distributer for Nicolai too now though that may not help with a demo. get in touch and let's see if we can get your questions answered by the guys and you sorted out if you are sufficiently interested.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I'm working on ordering a G-13 now. I'm 5'8" and have tried quite a number of different reach values and really like the way 460 reach feels. I'm fairly confident I could ride a 470 reach or so with a 25 mm stem but not so sure about jumping all the way to the 490 reach on the Medium so I'll prob stick with the Small.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Pilot, I missed that it was directed towards myself. When I'm on a computer I'm send you a PM. Can't seem to off my phone.

I've looked at the G-13 a few times now. It's a nice one for sure. My most ridden bike is a Chromag Surface w/140mm 36RC2. Then a V10C for WBP. So something between is what I'm after, whether it's a G16 or G13 is something I need to decide.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Just wanting to follow thread this as I am interesting in the G-13.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    G-13 seems to be more suited for everyday use than a 29 Geometron (which is a bloody good bike nevertheless, not to be misunderstood) and can be modified with a 36 Fox to make it suitable on enduro events.

Paul Shepherd of Mojo sent me his custom G-13 details and his one fits a X2 at the back instead of the DPS/Float X. But you have to pay extra for it to be custom but i think its worth it.

@the_pilot: Do you think G-13 would be looking better in raw or coloured like the orange/black one of Paul?!

I'm unsure about the size yet! XL or XXL! Have ridden the german Nicolai Ion-G13 QLFLINE (the one with the Fox 34/DPS and SRAM X1) and XL was quite good but don't know if XXL would be even better! I need at least a Reach of 485 and Stack near to 650 as all my test rides which different other bikes (Alutech ICB 2.0, Pivot Switchblade and so on) resulted in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not quite sure I agree the G13 is more suited to everyday use. I think it's more down to the bike you like to ride, how you ride, the characteristics you prefer in a bike. I think they pedal equally as well. If CP is to be believed the place to be is with the 29 front wheel and 27.5 back wheel but I am yet to try that, over the next two weeks is the plan.

I am led to believe there is a shorter X2 in the works too...

I like Raw and I like black to be honest, not one more than the other. Raw and purple looks good, my favourite with Raw is ano blue lever and pivot caps, decals, stem and seat clamp but leaving it at that. black for everything else. like my Original and the first ever Ion15, I loved how that looked,Tell me all about the Geometron 29-22327466710_7201373939_o.jpg

I loved how it rode too. That was 65 HA. The downside for me was it was too steam roller like and took some turning at speed. The slacker headangle counteracts that. 67deg to 64.5deg is no mans land in my current view...controversial I know.

Raw, blue, -2 headset, 150mm front, boom. Exactly the same numbers as my GeoMetron. Aces.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    Not quite sure I agree the G13 is more suited to everyday use. I think it's more down to the bike you like to ride, how you ride, the characteristics you prefer in a bike. I think they pedal equally as well. If CP is to be believed the place to be is with the 29 front wheel and 27.5 back wheel but I am yet to try that, over the next two weeks is the plan.

I am led to believe there is a shorter X2 in the works too...

I like Raw and I like black to be honest, not one more than the other. Raw and purple looks good, my favourite with Raw is ano blue lever and pivot caps, decals, stem and seat clamp but leaving it at that. black for everything else. like my Original and the first ever Ion15, I loved how that looked,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22327466710_7201373939_o.jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	323.4 KB 
ID:	1116332

I loved how it rode too. That was 65 HA. The downside for me was it was too steam roller like and took some turning at speed. The slacker headangle counteracts that. 67deg to 64.5deg is no mans land in my current view...controversial I know.

Raw, blue, -2 headset, 150mm front, boom. Exactly the same numbers as my GeoMetron. Aces.
    Think i'll go with Raw and Orange (love the Hope Orange) which would be a perfect fit to the orange decals of the Fox parts.

But i must admit your Ion 15 looks awesome too! I had blue parts on my old white CC bike and now i have red on black!

I heard about the shorter X2 in an article about the Cane Creek shock for the new Ghost trail bike!

Would like to try that combination in a geometron too! In a Liteville 301 it worked well but the frame is way to short for my size even in XL (XXL did not exist for the Mk13 model).

But i dont know if you can put it in a normal 27,5'' Geometron or take the 29 Geometron and change the backwheel to 27,5''?! Nicolai Germany was arguing that they have to do a custom frame for their Ion-G16 to fit a 29'' front wheel because of all the changed angles and so on...

But still waiting for my quote from Paul from Mojo about a complete bike! Only have the price for the frame+fork+shock+dropper post yet and the extra price i have to pay if i like a custom frame!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Raw orange is also nice, seen that at Mojo.

The std Mojo G16 works with a 29 front, angles, axle to crown etc are all good.

It doesn't quite work with the G13 in the current from from Nicolai and not quite the spec Mojo wanted originally, much like the G16 wasn't hence the decision to go with a Mojo special.

Part of the request for a different design of swingarm yoke was to allow a 27.5 wheel to be used, but in reality the G16 delivers it so its fine, the pinch point is now more the fork I think in terms of the absolute scope to tune it is more limited than the 27.5.

Even the slight lift of 12mm with the 29 front, lifting the BB is help full. The decreased seat angle is less desirable but with angleset and the shock position the geometry can be set up to be right with a 29 front.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that as a limited run frame in the future, more likely if there are more fork options...
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Raw orange is also nice, seen that at Mojo.

The std Mojo G16 works with a 29 front, angles, axle to crown etc are all good.

It doesn't quite work with the G13 in the current from from Nicolai and not quite the spec Mojo wanted originally, much like the G16 wasn't hence the decision to go with a Mojo special.

Part of the request for a different design of swingarm yoke was to allow a 27.5 wheel to be used, but in reality the G16 delivers it so its fine, the pinch point is now more the fork I think in terms of the absolute scope to tune it is more limited than the 27.5.

Even the slight lift of 12mm with the 29 front, lifting the BB is help full. The decreased seat angle is less desirable but with angleset and the shock position the geometry can be set up to be right with a 29 front.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that as a limited run frame in the future, more likely if there are more fork options...
    Sounds good!

Paul told me the G13 is the same at Mojo as it is at Nicolai Germany.

Would like to see such a bike with 29/27,5 at races!

German bike manufacturer Bulls got a bike that gots a 29'' front and a 27,5+ rear! But their geometry is very oldschool with short reach and stack! But heard this tyre combination is brilliant!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The G13 is the same geo yes, some changes were desirable, principally around shock length to allow an X2, travel options on the shock lever a la G16, an inherently slacker head angle (rated for longer forks) and a steeper seat angle (the latter the same as the G16), potentially a wider BB a la G16 and a shorter head tube. The swingarm yoke is different on all bikes from the 2016 models.

Lets just say mr Porter and I put a few scribbles on the factory drawing! Most of which are captured above. That doesn't detract at all from the current bike and it's capabilities, they are subtleties mainly but they provide set up flexibility for both different riders and different terrain.

A more trail oriented piggy back shock in 190mm would be nice....

Chatting with Mojo I think there may be some tuning scope in the 36 29 160mm fork so will explore that with them.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    The G13 is the same geo yes, some changes were desirable, principally around shock length to allow an X2, travel options on the shock lever a la G16, an inherently slacker head angle (rated for longer forks) and a steeper seat angle (the latter the same as the G16), potentially a wider BB a la G16 and a shorter head tube. The swingarm yoke is different on all bikes from the 2016 models.

Lets just say mr Porter and I put a few scribbles on the factory drawing! Most of which are captured above. That doesn't detract at all from the current bike and it's capabilities, they are subtleties mainly but they provide set up flexibility for both different riders and different terrain.

A more trail oriented piggy back shock in 190mm would be nice....

Chatting with Mojo I think there may be some tuning scope in the 36 29 160mm fork so will explore that with them.
    Lets hope they bring the X2 in 190mm or otherwise Mojo decides to bring the custom setup of Paul Shepherds G13 as stock!

Still waiting for an email answer from Paul on the quote!

But he has sent me the technical drawing of both the 29 Geometron in Longest and his custom G13 in December and both are awesome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you go custom, think about some of the things I mentioned above or chat to me/Chris P...

In the meantime I can't remember if I have posted this before. If it's wrong I am happy to amend, I did it for me to figure out offsets and what I could do with the G13 and if it would work with a 27.5 rear (No is the answer to the current version, for 29/27.5 use Mojo G16)

GeoMetron angles by Phil, on Flickr" width="549">
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    like my Original and the first ever Ion15, I loved how that looked

Not really a geometron question but I'll ask anyway. I own an ION15 and been looking G13. Have not yet decided to go for G13, instead planned to install angleset to ION15. Now running 160mm fork, HA about 66.5. Should I go for -2 or less? Riding 50% on (flat but not XC) trails and 50% in bike parks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Max it out. -2deg. Mine was slacker due to custom, still a great bike. Super good all rounder for stuff you describe. Will help with the seat angle given its lifted to 160mm too

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks, I also assumed that -2 would improve bike by lowering bb and steepening seat angle.