Special tools for dismantling?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Special tools for dismantling?

Hi everyone,

As of yesterday, I'm the new proud owner of a Helius FR with 1.5 steerer tube. I bought it used and will be taking delivery of it early next week.
    First thing I'm planning for her is to get it painted a new colour.
    I've heard from other places that stripping Nicolais down can be a tedious process due to the the needle bearings...
    Can any of the Nicolai experts shed light on this? Are t here any particular tools required to perform this?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mike

"Its All Good"
    Congratulations Mike. What year is the FR, am thinking must be an 08 if its got a 1.5 Steerer, or did they make 1.5's in 07......

I have not heard that there is any issues with pullling down Nicolai's

Booner, Err, can you shed some light on Mikes question here????
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Whafe.

I'll have to verify with the previous owner, but my understanding is that it is a 2006 model(?) as an option upon order.

An email to the Nicolai boys in the UK confirms the strip down can be down by any competent mech.
    So I'll strip the bike down as much as I can and then drop it off at the LBS for the fiddly bits.

I've already ordered a set of silver and white decals, so I can't wait to pick it up this week.
    The only question now is, should I powder coat it satin black or get the sucker anodized black. Having said that, there's a very strong likelyhood I fall in love with the anododized bronze finish it is currently in.
    Last edited by lordmike; 11-30-2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo

"Its All Good"
    Mike, sounds sweet.....

Yeah, will be interesting when you see the Bronze Ano, you may well really like it. Am a big fan of Ano, lasts so well. My Nucleon is anodized, lasts great, as have other bikes I have had....

Cant beat black though, loads of balck Nicolai's around though, as am sure you have seen in these threads.

SO what build are you going to throw on this bad boy?

Keep us updated...

Quote Originally Posted by lordmike
    Thanks Whafe.

I'll have to verify with the previous owner, but my understanding is that it is a 2006 model(?) as an option upon order.

An email to the Nicolai boys in the UK confirms the strip down can be down by any competent mech.
    So I'll strip the bike down as much as I can and then drop it off at the LBS for the fiddly bits.

I've already ordered a set of silver and white decals, so I can't wait to pick it up this week.
    The only question now is, should I powder coat it satin black or get the sucker anodized black. Having said that, there's a very strong likelyhood I fall in love with the anododized bronze finish it is currently in.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

a tight kick sound
    I never got into this. It made me a bit nervous to think that if I made a mistake it would cost me a LOT to get it fixed. A mistake to the frame that is...not too worried about the bearings.

Sorry dude, I never mucked with taking them off Err got the goods on this.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I've done a fair number of bearing extractions and installations over the years. It's simple but if you screw up, it can get ugly. I'd suggest you take it to someone if you don't feel comfortable already. I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about posting instructions on how to do this.

"Its All Good"
    I am feeling really warm and fuzzy about receiving a box of components from you though Err!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    I am feeling really warm and fuzzy about receiving a box of components from you though Err!

Who doesn't get all warm and fuzzy when there's a much bling as there will be in your box of stuff. Hell, just the CCDB is enough to get most people worked up!

a tight kick sound
    Err, That makes a lot of sense man! IT would make one very sad to muck up a frame after a mistaken extraction.

As an aside, there is a lot of "man-feelings" around here today Not that there is anything wrong with that!

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Who doesn't get all warm and fuzzy when there's a much bling as there will be in your box of stuff. Hell, just the CCDB is enough to get most people worked up!
    Well it is the great service I get from my LBS!

They are good people, so it is all worth it.... But yippity mcskipity, there be some treats coming in the box........

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Haha, thanks for your honesty on the matter of bearing extractions guys. Much appreciated.
    As for the build, I'm still trying t o work things out. I have decent donor bikes, so a set of Crossmax XLs (from a Reign1) is the only certainty for now.

I'll probably end up cannabalising my VP-Free but leave the Avid Codes off it.

My Nicky comes with Hope M4s, but I'm tempted by the new XT hydros as well...
    It does the head in, but the dilemma of how to spec the bike is the most exciting part.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Last edited by lordmike; 11-30-2007 at 11:42 PM. Reason: simplicity

"Its All Good"
    Sheesh Mike, you have some good bits to donate to the Nicolai..... By the way the Nicolai looks mint, I think that frame colour anodized looks real good, just my view, but I am thinking you will leave it as is....

Interesting build on the VP Free, some strong as wheels, have not seen a VP Free with a Lyric.... I had my VP Free set up with a dual crown Dorado.... The bike was a beast pointed straight down a hill....

So will the Helius FR be your main ride are you thinking? I guess that will determine what parts you hijak off of your other steeds.....Would think the codes may well be too strong for the Helius, not that it couldnt at all be done, but they are some strong brakes...LOL, what am I tlaking about as I am putting Louises on mine.....

Will you move the VP F to a more big hit bike..... I would be inclined to throw the Lyric on the Helius..... Oh the fun of speccing the bikes, its like the thrill of the chase......

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I bought those Lyriks before I had chosen what frame to get, and it was at a price too good to pass up..
    And I've only spent a couple of hours on it before I moved interstate with work and had other distractions stopping me from riding.
    A friend has actually spoken for it now, but I'll see whether he's willing to let go of the Lyriks.They would be nice on the Nicky.
    I think you're right on the frame colour. It will save me a huge amount of stress and legwork if I fall in love with it the way it is. It's just that my lbs has a beautiful amo black FR hanging on their wall......

The idea is for the Nicky to replace both the Reign and VP-Free. I've just got too many bikes lying around the house and the Nicky seems to have the goods to cover most of my riding style.

For what's worth, here are the other bikes that may play donor to the Nicky.
    As you can see with the Cannondale, I'm interested in eclectic builds, to say the least.

Reign 1

Super V ricer

"Its All Good"
    Well to be honest, you have some great doner bikes, you will be able to build up a rad Helius really.... Keep that Cannondale though, dam remember when those came out, fock they were expensive in New Zealand, like all bike stuff... An old classic....

Yep having loads of bikes can be a pain, am about to move all my stuff back to NZ has my assignment here in Spain is finishing, dam nightmare to ship 5 or 6 bikes back...LOL

Yep the Lyric would be a sweet forl on the FR, I am going with a Fox Talas RC bla bla 1.5 HS this time, never had a FOx fork, so be cool,

Later, am off for a ride, the sun is up and it has warmed slightly, dont mind riding in the cold, but like it when the sun is there....Later

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah, those dales were the isht back then. I saved up for ages to buy an SV-1000 back in 97.
    It ran Magura Racelines and club roost bits.
    Alotta groms at LBSs have no idea what they are when I ride in with it. It's hard to believe that design is over 10 years old.

Just came back from a morning ride and coffee. the head-wind was torture.
    Courier pick-up for nicky on Tuesday, which means I'll have pics of her up by Friday.
    I'm counting the minutes...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just a minor update.
    The interstate couriers are stuffing around with the consignment notes and haven't picked up the bike from brisbane as promised.
    there's too much at stake here, so I cancelled the courier service and have booked a return flight from Melbourne to Brisbane for Saturday to bring back Nicky personally.
    This is gettig costly, but fun.

"Its All Good"
    Just a minor update.
    The interstate couriers are stuffing around with the consignment notes and haven't picked up the bike from brisbane as promised.
    there's too much at stake here, so I cancelled the courier service and have booked a return flight from Melbourne to Brisbane for Saturday to bring back Nicky personally.
    This is gettig costly, but fun.
    Now bro, thats the spirit, sort of thing I do... Am also going to LA to pick a bike up, of course I can plan some travel around work..

Awesome to hear, we wait with anticipation......

Bring on the Helius FR's.................

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Haha, cheers for the encouragement.
    All I got was weird stares from my art director.

The go-fast bits should be landing at my office very shortly...
    KCNC 11-34T cassette
    KCNC BearBone crankset
    Token Ti/ceramic BB
    KMC SL9 chain
    XTR Shadow medium cage.
    XTR shifter set
    XT servo-wave brakes
    Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
    Chris King Devolution headset.

This is gonna be a poor christmas.

"Its All Good"
    Haha, cheers for the encouragement.
    All I got was weird stares from my art director.

The go-fast bits should be landing at my office very shortly...
    KCNC 11-34T cassette
    KCNC BearBone crankset
    Token Ti/ceramic BB
    KMC SL9 chain
    XTR Shadow medium cage.
    XTR shifter set
    XT servo-wave brakes
    Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
    Chris King Devolution headset.

This is gonna be a poor christmas.
    A poor smiling Christmas though..... Please let me know if you ever get over to NZ with your bike, be cool to show you around....

Start a new build thread please and want pictures of your components as they arrive.... Yeah ha

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Will do on both counts.
    I wanna also try my luck at bringing over a Clio V6 from NZ.
    You guys have the best import laws on cars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Mini-update:
    Since I'm flying all the way to pick up the bike, I may as well get some other shopping done.
    Managed to track down a used Marzocchi 66SL1 ATA for a good price and the seller has agreed to come out to the airport as well.

"Its All Good"
    Sweet on both fronts... Good choice on a play car too, go like a shower of sh!t those V6 Clio's...

Good find on the fork too....

We need pictures soon...LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Just got back from airport. I still can't believe I did this today.
    Anyway, the forks come in at 2.65kg. Not bad.
    will post more pics of bike once assembled.
    Gotta go now to a Klunkerz screening this arvo at the Bike Film Festival.

"Its All Good"
    Looking good lordm, a very well accomplished day it would seem.... Look forward to seeing it with your new fork and bits on...

How are you feeling about the colour now you have seen it in the flesh? Looks good to me. That is going to be a very sick all round hardcore XC AM light FR bike....

Congrats.....................

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

The goodies are coming in...
    Dunno why I got the Thoork saddle, just looked so cool.
    I'll probably end up sticking with the Gobi for this build.

I'm also staying with the ano bronze. It's grown on me

"Its All Good"
    Indeed a cool looking saddle............

Glad the colour has grown on you, will save a good deal of pains in the butt for sure....

Getting a great sorte of Helius FR's on board.....

Will have to start gettign some more action shots of ridiing the steeds..... Well when this next batch is built...LOL

Members who have read this thread: 0