Something about these Helius bikes,(travel settings)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Something about these Helius bikes,(travel settings)

Its pretty clear to everyone that the Helius FR and CC is totally adjustable right?Well me and my Nicolai crew have been playing around alot with all the different setting on all these bikes.And it seems that the CC is best when set at 4" mode and the FR WAY WAY fun set at 5"What's the reason for this?I'm guessing the ratio,but don't know for sure.So tomorrow Ncig's FR will be set at 5"with a Fox 140 in the front,and this for sure will be a fast fun FR ride.My FR will be 36 Float,and I'll try 5" at the start of the ride and than switch it out to 6 maybe half way through.I'm really missing my CC,and waiting for me new one is KILLING me.But it will for sure be worth the wait.Well boys just trying to kep this place fresh,Whafe is on a plane as we speck,let hope he has a safe flight.Really looking forward to him coming here to Mass.It will be a few days that none of us will forget anytime soon.Peace boys.CF...

a tight kick sound
    Big Fred!
    Good thoughts to hear my man Safe flight to Whafer.

On the Helius travel, I think you may have hit on a major factor, lev ratio. A little lower ratio on these air shocks I think does wonders for their performance (others correct me if I am way out of line here). I also think the slight decrease in travel incombination with the lower ratio makes the bike "feel" a little snappier and quicker but still nicely balanced. Kinda got that get-up-and-go feeling to er

I found that my fr road best set around 5 or 5.5 with the pike coil at 140mm! Really quick and snappy.

Good on ya CF, Peace!

wyrd bi ful rd
    Just got a second hand CC & was looking into a slightly longer shock (215mm - std 200mm E2E) to bump up travel, ... but ... will have pushed the rear axel 'further down' (when compared to the bottom bracket).

Went with 200mm coil ... fingers crossed will see how it goes ... do not have all of my parts yet. Only wheels, cranks, pedals, stem, saddle & handlebar. All should be in by the end of the week.

Will try it out at 4".

I will try out the air shock as well. I weigh about 155lbs, what pressure do you guys recommend. Could not find any guide on the net for the DT SSD 210 air shock.

Would have liked FR, but saw a CC came up on ebay and could not resist. Thought to try it out & if I do not like it then can always get an FR later (always keeping an eye out on ebay) My rides are usually XC climbs and descent and small dropoffs (no large ones ... am hitting on 40 & I think bones do get slightly brittle as you age) Should have gone into mtbiking a bit earlier ... [email protected]

eg: on a 2.5hrs ride I will do mostly 1.75hrs of climbs & 0.75hr of descent ... singletrack UK ... no chair lifts ... no jumps so I think a CC will do ok. What do you guys think ... ? Cheers ...

mtbr member
    May 2006

Yo Chinaman

Your mistake is,never ever reply to thread about a Nicolai with out ANY [email protected] PICTURES HaHa,But really com on brother we wants too see the CC.Its a great bike ( Its my fave bike) than my FR(I always shake alittle after I say that)You will be in heaven on that baby.I don't know much about those rear shocks,so I can't tell you about how much air(for sure anyway).BUT,I do know this, set that puppy up at 4in.and you'll have a rocket ship of a ride. BOONE,your sooo right about the low ratio thing,that's spot on.I just got back from my Sunday morning ride,FR set a 5in,with my 36 float WOW very snappy ride.John (NCIG) came out FR RP23 and a 140 up front,very nice but I must say I liked my set up better(Its the 36 that made the difference) I got a Roco air I can try (I'll throw it on tomorrow)I'll give that a try and see what's the deal with it.If not I'm ordering a 08 RP23 for my FR..CF....

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    ... than my FR (I always shake alittle after I say that) ...

No WAY ... whenever i hear a CC, ... (censored beep) !!!

Will post pixs once ... all built up. Cheers
    Last edited by chinaman; 10-02-2007 at 06:04 AM.

Jun 2007
    I just recently picked up an FR - I love the bike, but have noticed that while set in any travel mode with the HT angle in the "med" position, my rear Minion is rubbing the ano from my seat tube under full compression. I think I may be under sprung, but this still strikes me as odd, since the shock appears to allow this excess range of motion - the shock that came on it is a Roco WC w/ a 2.37 stroke, haven't checked the I-I yet. Here's my offering to the pic gods... sorry, no bike only pics right now
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2006

rubbing

the reason the tire could be rubbing is that the stroke for this bike is 2.25 your stoke is 2.37 so that what could be causing you rubbing

a tight kick sound
    I didn't know that the rocco was ever made in 2.37?
    A 2.25 will rub the seat tube qith the shock mounts in the medium position. I have actually tested it on this same exact frame. That used to be mines
    Drop the travel down to 5.5 or 5 and it will no longer rub and the frame will ride better anyway. (At least from my experience)

Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    I didn't know that the rocco was ever made in 2.37?
    A 2.25 will rub the seat tube qith the shock mounts in the medium position. I have actually tested it on this same exact frame. That used to be mines
    Drop the travel down to 5.5 or 5 and it will no longer rub and the frame will ride better anyway. (At least from my experience)
    I was just going off the #s on the spring - it's possible that the shock is actually 2.25. The bike is in the 5" position currently, and the rubbing is significantly decreased, but not completely - I suspect this might have something to do with needing the correct spring. How did you have the frame built up before you sold it to Graeson? I've been wondering about its' past life. It's been a great bike so far - I wanted something to replace my Demo since the season is over - something burly enough to abuse, without all the travel or weight.

a tight kick sound
    Yeah, it has to be a 2.25. I don't think even avi would make a 2.37
    I had the bike built up with a dhx air (7.875 X 2.25) and a pike coil. Little bit lighter than what you got there.
    Also, if you try putting in a smaller tire, this might help...I guess I don't know what you have in there now though. Could already be small.
    Best setting I found was with the shock mounts full back and the shock at 5 or 5.5 and pike all the way out!

It is a great bike for exactly what you want it for now Feel free to ask any questions. I know the full life history of this frame!

mtbr member
    May 2006

Hey lag-gran

Quote Originally Posted by lagarto grande
    I just recently picked up an FR - I love the bike, but have noticed that while set in any travel mode with the HT angle in the "med" position, my rear Minion is rubbing the ano from my seat tube under full compression. I think I may be under sprung, but this still strikes me as odd, since the shock appears to allow this excess range of motion - the shock that came on it is a Roco WC w/ a 2.37 stroke, haven't checked the I-I yet. Here's my offering to the pic gods... sorry, no bike only pics right now
    Nice ride even nicer pictures.Welcome to the forum keep the pictures coming. Peace.CF...

Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Nice ride even nicer pictures.Welcome to the forum keep the pictures coming. Peace.CF...
    Thank you - I was stoked to see that a Nicolai forum had been added - I was looking for one just 2 weeks ago before I picked up the bike. I'm kinda short on pics right now since I've only had a couple of weeks on it. Here are a couple more - taken the same day at Palmer, here in CO, the place has nothing in the way of airtime, but lots of fun slickrock type rollers
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Its All Good"
    Welcome to the forums lagarto grande.................. Great pictures for sure.... Please whip into the setup data base and post up your build.....

Well roll on for my FR................ Err is checking on wait times etc.... Yeah ha....

Am in St Louis for work, even get to have my Nucleon sleep in the same room as me....mmm yummy....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Feel free to ask any questions. I know the full life history of this frame!
    Cool, thanks - do you know what the max recommended fork travel is for this frame? Also, are the travel settings on the frame 4.3, 5.3, and 6.3"? I picked up a 500# spring last night, hopefully this will remedy my seat tube / tire issue. Now I just need to convert my srs to an lg1 and I should be golden

Members who have read this thread: 0