Shock Options on the Nicolai Helius FR 08- Mtbr.com
    'All over it!'

Shock Options on the Nicolai Helius FR 08

Guys

I am thinking of buying one of these frames. I am a large fella at 230lb and was wondering if an RP23 can be fitted to this frame. I like the idea of the RP23 as it has a fantasic platform with the pro pedal.
    I am also torn between the DHX C with Ti spring. I have never owned a coil shock before and wonder whether it has the same amount of platform as the RP23. I want a do it all bike. One that will take some serious abuse, but will also pedal well on the flat as well as the ups.

Any help would be much appriciated.

"Its All Good"
    lornibear. This is a very good topic, that hopefully many will chime in on... I have a CCDB on my Nicolai Nucleon, am at present putting the component list together on a 08 FR... I went with a CCDB, cause I love it and thought is would be the go.....

Err is running a CCDB on his Helius ST and having great results

Crazy Fred has a DHX Air on his 07 Helius FR, which he rates big time...

What sort of build are you planning on doing, more light than FRish..... I struggle to come to terms with having a RP23 on a bike over 30 pounds, thats just me, I think this bike is capable of more than a RP23...... I feel an RP23 should be on a Helius CC...

What type of riding are you doing and what sort of terrain?

Am sure some of the other fella's will chime in now....

Dont forget to tell us more about your build and complete the build database area when you finish your FR badboy.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

'All over it!'
    Thanks Whafe,

I am coming from a Yeti 575 with an RP23. I do so much different riding. I commute about 15 miles per day, so something that pedals well with little bob.
    I have also looked at the RFX and to be honest, at 6ft 3, the XL is horrible. I am also looking at the Foes FXR but am put off by only being able to have the Cannuck shock.
    I have also examined the Nomad, but again, not impressed.

This leads me on nicely to the Nicolai. I do mostly hard welsh (UK) trails. I ride aggressively but also like to hammer uphill, hence the need for a frame with little or no bob. I also like to do some jumps and drops, nothing manic but enough to get me out of my comfort zone. I am really after a do it all bike. I am going to build it up with XTR kit, Mavic 819 tubeless with Michelin Xtreme mountain tyres.

"Its All Good"
    Well, I am about half an inch taller than you.... Sounds like we are in the same place more or less. I have my MotoLite, which is a fantastic bike, goes up and goes down great. Great all round bike. The only downer for me is that I have to think or what parts of the trail I can jump off etc, I know that if I didnt think I would have broken the MotoLite by now....This is not at all a problem of the frame, but me!

Hence the Heluis FR comes to mind......

So I am as interested in shock types as you are. I have also looked into a Avalanch shock also, this is an option for sure....The build kit I am playing with is sitting around 31 pountds, which I am happy with, some 3.5 pounds more than my MotoLite, but will nto be huge, and will satisfy my needs.....

Booner, Crazy Fred and Err will be getting their butts out of bed, so will chime in, well they better.....LOL
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

'All over it!'
    Thanks for your input. What size are you looking at? I have looked at your build statistics, very nice and all under 32lb - not bad. I take it that was for an XL frame? There don't seem to be many pictures around of them. The biggest question for me is what colour? I am working on my build stats at the moment, so will have them finished in a few days. It will be interesting to compare.

'All over it!'
    by the way, can I see some pics of your DPM ride. I must admit, I like the colour scheme.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    by the way, can I see some pics of your DPM ride. I must admit, I like the colour scheme.
    Having a blonde moment DPM ride ?

I had me eye on a X-Large also

I have my colour scheme almost sorted, so many to choose from, half the fun though....Cant say just yet, it wil be subtle though.

'All over it!'
    Sorry, I believe you have the cammo on your nucleon. Very nice. Can you tell me more about the CCDB? Many have said it's the best in the world at the moment. Would it benefit a heavier rider like myself? Does it have an element of platform like the fox air shocks or am I missing the point completely.

"Its All Good"
    Sorry, I believe you have the cammo on your nucleon. Very nice. Can you tell me more about the CCDB? Many have said it's the best in the world at the moment. Would it benefit a heavier rider like myself? Does it have an element of platform like the fox air shocks or am I missing the point completely.
    Sweet, all good, understand now

The CCDB, I bought this shock cause hands down for me anything that Ohlins touches is great. When I raced Motocross for a few years, I always did the suspension on my bikes, where by my buddies would put on aftermarket exhausts etc. Waste of time, the suspension is where it is at for me. I digress.

I have ridden a number of shocks over the years, this is hands down the best by far. So adjustable, you can dial up the platform etc and it still be smooth and complient as butter on the big stuff. You cannot really can any idea about the shock by lifting the bike, dropping it and then pushing down on the seat, many do that, but the CCDB will give you no idea by just doing that..... It is when you ride it, the rear end is clued to terafirma...

To be fair, I have not ridden the Nucleon without the CCDB, so am not sure how awesome the suspension is, or how awesome the shock is, hope that makes sense.....

They are indeed expensive, but it is money well spent in my eyes. Malcolm from Cane Creek is a top dude too, really responsive to email questions etc....

We had a discussion on shocks on here for the Helius FR though, and some are of the opinion that the CCDB is not needed etc, I respect all opinions, so the jury is still out so to speak for me... Have been doing some research on the Avalanch shocks too. These are pretty sweet, many peeps love these too...

Some pics of the paint scheme, a few here anyway. Jump onto my site and see the Whistler pictures, there is some more there.................. I have had the coloured components etc. But went all black on this with the Camo front Frame portion....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Whafe; 09-26-2007 at 04:02 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006

OK OK,I'm out of bed already.

Hey lornbear what's up?I need to know what Nicolai frame your thing about getting,(FF,CC,G-box,WHAT?)can not really give you any good sound advice untill I know which model Nicolai.I will say that the RP23 is what I ran on my 07 CC and will be useing on my 08 CC(I love this rear shock)My buddy has a RP23 on his FR and he swears by it.We (myself and two other Nicolai owners I ride with)spent a long time trying to figure out what shocks work best on these bikes,we found that the CCDB(an unreal rear shock)is not right for the Helius frames(IE horst link bikes).The CCDB is really just a super bandaid for most bikes,(most single piviot,Turner's VPP bikes.)the low ratio Helius designs do not need all that platform.So I hope I helped you alittle,but really need to know what frame your interested in.Peace CF..

"Its All Good"
    CF, lornbear is going to build up a Helius FR......Sweet as..........

'All over it!'
    Hi CF. As Whafe said, I am thinking about building a Helius FR in cammo, much the same colour scheme as Whafes Nucleon.
    My quandry is what shock to put on it. I would like to build it up to about 32lbs and think I am suited to a L at 6ft 3 (and a bit).
    I have come from a 575 with an RP23 but think that I need more bike as my riding is getting more aggessive and at 230lb I need something that will handle both the drops and jumps a little better and give me more confidence that it won't break.
    I am a coil virgin and want to know my options for the FR. I would like some platform in the shock as I also commute on the bike. It needs to pedal well on the ups as I love the challenge of climbing but then adore the hardcore downhill.

So, could you advise me of my options and what beneifts each shock would give me.

Many thanks

"Its All Good"
    I have a Push'd RP23 on my MotoLite, it is a great shock. As I mentioned, I would not look at it on a FR with my weight and size. CF was and is running it on his Helius CC, way lighter, CF is running a DHX Air on his FR. CF mentions that is buddy is running the RP23 on his FR, wonder what his size is and the weight of his build..

I hear very good reports thus far on the 08 DHX Air, could be worth a look... The Marz Roco shocks are getting great reviews..

Rocco Air

Are you adament to go with a coil?
    Last edited by Whafe; 09-25-2007 at 05:56 AM.

'All over it!'
    I will be honest, I am leaving my options open. Air or coil, although I am not keen on the DHX Air. I don't know if the 08 versions are any better, but from my experience and that of others, they are not worth the time of day for us big lads. I have heard horror stories of 300psi and blowing through the mid range of the travel.

"Its All Good"
    I will be honest, I am leaving my options open. Air or coil, although I am not keen on the DHX Air. I don't know if the 08 versions are any better, but from my experience and that of others, they are not worth the time of day for us big lads. I have heard horror stories of 300psi and blowing through the mid range of the travel.
    With you on the DHX Air, a HUGE POS................... As i said, these were comments from a few peeps that have ridden the 08 model and said it is a vast improvement...

lets keep the subject flowing..... more info will come...

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I will be honest, I am leaving my options open. Air or coil, although I am not keen on the DHX Air.
    The 08's are reported to be better now that they have separated the propedal, compression, and bottom out circuits. I think the new Marzocchi Roco TST R would accomplish what you are after. Still waiting on some real reports but early testings have been very positive.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Working out the bugs..

Quote Originally Posted by CAO
    The 08's are reported to be better now that they have separated the propedal, compression, and bottom out circuits. I think the new Marzocchi Roco TST R would accomplish what you are after. Still waiting on some real reports but early testings have been very positive.
    I too am(was)pumped about this new rear shock from Zoke,I think its perfect for the FR.BUT,I had sent to us last week and it woulbn't even hold air(and after specking with the rep,he didn't sound surprised)So my boy is at Interbike as we speck and plans on coming home with a couple(one for me to try)So I'll keep you all posted.CF.

"Its All Good"
    Sweet, me am down with CF being our resident shock tester for the Rocco and the 08 DHX Air...................... You the man.......................

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    it woulbn't even hold air(and after specking with the rep,he didn't sound surprised)
    New products = new bugs to work on Hopefully it is something easy like a seal but it is still a bit frustrating having to deal with. Please keep us posted once you get some miles on the new Zoke.

'All over it!'
    Perhaps the DHX Air is the way foward, if the prior problems are sorted. Perhaps I am not giving it a chance. I would have to test one before splashing the cash. So, 32lbs is possible. I think the FR is so much more bike for your money than a Nomad for example. I never really liked them anyway, or the RFX for that matter. There are however people who really like them, so fair play to them.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Lornibear -
    '08 DHX-A is much better. The '08 Marz Roco TST Air will likely be killer.

No question in my mind that the CCDB is the best shock available from an overall performance standpoint, but heavier than the air options.

Overall, I think you'll be quite happy with the FR's performance for both climbing and descending.

Note, you might want to swap the 819's for DT 5.1's. The DT's are stiffer, stronger, wider, and weigh about the same.

"Its All Good"
    Sweet Err, thanks for chiming in................ lornibear, I have fair caned my DT 5.1īs, they have lasted so well, these are on I9 spokes and hub..... Been a great wheel set

For my FR build, Err is going to build me up some bad boys, with the DT 5.1's again and Hadley hubs.... MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm going to be the dogs bollocks.....

a tight kick sound
    lornibear, good on ya for choosing the Helius FR! Smashing super tits bike.
    I had an 05 and it was a super AM ripper. Fitted mine with an 05 dhx air (I'm 200) and it worked out really well. However, at 230 you may be pushing the limits of air on a bike with an almost 3:1 leverage ratio. As many folks over 215 or so have found with the turner rfx, big guys + high lev ratio + air shock = unhappy riders. The main complains have been the mid stroke; the shock is nice at first, blows through the mid stroke and then ramps hard at the bottom or hits bottom (if adjusted wrong)
    Now I am not saying the air shocks are bad, and I have not tried the new rocco air or an rp23. They may work out super for lots of folks. Just puttin my .02 out there for ya!

If I might, I would suggest a CCDB or an dhx 5 with a ti spring. As CF mentioned he does not think the CCDB is right for the Helius...I don't pretend to even have held a CCDB let alone ridden one on a helius FR...seems to me that with all the adjustability though, you would think it would be sweet!!

"Its All Good"
    Good points booner......................lornibear, I would await some reviews ont he 08 DHX Air with the bigger riders, along with the Rocco, or go for the monty and get a CCDB with a Ti spring...................It is the dogs bollocks....

'All over it!'
    Firstly, I would like to thank all of you guys for helping me out on this build and answering all my bone questions. The forum is indeed a place for genuine people who love their bikes and more imporantly passionate about Nicolai.

If you would all be so kind as to have a look at what componants I have so far for my FR build:

Nicolai Helius FR (Size large I think - am 6ft 4 ish) in Cammo (the same colour as Whafes Nucleon - hope you don't mind?).

Fox DHX 5 Coil with Ti spring (unknown spring rating etc for 230lb rider - please advise)

Mavic 819/Hope Pro II hubs with Michelin mountain extreme tyres. (I will have a look at the 5.1's as previously posted - thankyou that man).

Shimano XTR Front and rear mech (Front mech model/sizing unknown)
    Shimano XTR Chainset
    Shimano XTR Shifters

SRAM PG990 Cassette
    SRAM Chain

Thompson Elite X4 Stem (90mm)
    Thompson Seatpost
    Bel Air Ti Saddle

Avid Juicy carbons 203F / 180 R
    Rock Shox Lyric U-Turn
    Richey WCS Carbon Bar

I have some of this kit already, but the build is open for discussion by you fine people.

"Its All Good"
    Firstly, I would like to thank all of you guys for helping me out on this build and answering all my bone questions. The forum is indeed a place for genuine people who love their bikes and more imporantly passionate about Nicolai.

If you would all be so kind as to have a look at what componants I have so far for my FR build:

Nicolai Helius FR (Size large I think - am 6ft 4 ish) in Cammo (the same colour as Whafes Nucleon - hope you don't mind?).

Fox DHX 5 Coil with Ti spring (unknown spring rating etc for 230lb rider - please advise)

Mavic 819/Hope Pro II hubs with Michelin mountain extreme tyres. (I will have a look at the 5.1's as previously posted - thankyou that man).

Shimano XTR Front and rear mech (Front mech model/sizing unknown)
    Shimano XTR Chainset
    Shimano XTR Shifters

SRAM PG990 Cassette
    SRAM Chain

Thompson Elite X4 Stem (90mm)
    Thompson Seatpost
    Bel Air Ti Saddle

Avid Juicy carbons 203F / 180 R
    Rock Shox Lyric U-Turn
    Richey WCS Carbon Bar

I have some of this kit already, but the build is open for discussion by you fine people.
    no issues with camo bro, it rocks..........

If the finances are cool, I would for sure go the CCDB over the Fox DHX Coil!

As you mention, would check out the DT 5.1 rims, Pro II hubs are great bang for buck...

Sweet on the XTR stuff, cant go wrong really

I use the SRAm chain and cassettes, have a great run with them

Thomson (spelling.. ) is awesome..... I have always used their seat posts. Have a Masterpiece that has gone for more than 3 years now. On my Nicolai, I went with an Bel Air I beam saddle and post, really happy with it, maybe worth looking at...

Bars - I am a fan of carbon, so many to look at, Easton are making some great bars...But Richie are good also from what I hear...

Brakes- I am through and through a Magura fan and user, all my bikes are Magura shod.... If you were to be purchasing brakes, would for sure look at Formula... the lads are rating this Formula kit real high............

Lyric is a great fork, rode one for 2 days, was real happy with it..........

A good looking build, for me doing build, re sussing it is the fun part, get all your stuff down on a spreadsheet and lookie lookie at it and suss it..... Will post my build thus far...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi Whafe,

sorry, but i have to desstroy your sub-14kg Helius FR dream. The shock is 0,5kg and not 0,05. Nontheless a delicious bike!

TM

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Testmaen
    Hi Whafe,

sorry, but i have to desstroy your sub-14kg Helius FR dream. The shock is 0,5kg and not 0,05. Nontheless a delicious bike!

TM
    Oh Fock, my mistake.... You havnt destroyed a sub 14Kg build, I always stated I was happy to be 15kg, some 32 pounds....

Good spotting though, have sorted the spreadsheet, 14.67Kg....

'All over it!'
    Hey Whafe, can you have a look at the geometry comparrison between my old ride and the FR. I know the frames are a different size, but what advantages will I have with the FR with the geometry changes?

Geometry Comparrison

Yeti 575 (160mm Fork) L Nicolai FR (160mm Fork) XL

Seat tube Length 520.7 510 10.7
    Top Tube Length 619.75 625 5.25
    Head Angle 67 67.5 0.5
    Wheelbase 1140.45 1167 26.55
    Chain Stay Length 429 435 6

"Its All Good"
    Hey Whafe, can you have a look at the geometry comparrison between my old ride and the FR. I know the frames are a different size, but what advantages will I have with the FR with the geometry changes?

Geometry Comparrison

Yeti 575 (160mm Fork) L Nicolai FR (160mm Fork) XL

Seat tube Length 520.7 510 10.7
    Top Tube Length 619.75 625 5.25
    Head Angle 67 67.5 0.5
    Wheelbase 1140.45 1167 26.55
    Chain Stay Length 429 435 6

I will take a stab, then Err and Booner will chime in, they knwo this stuff way better than me.... Hard to compare an XL frame with a L frame though..

Generally the seat tube length will be more or less relative to the amount of seat post showing, I would imagine that on your 575, it would have a huge amount of seat post showing...... Keep in mind the XL is bigger...I checked the seat tube length of the 575 XL, they are almost the same..

Need to look at the seat angle and the top tube together for me.....

The seat tube angle on the FR is 72.9 and the 575 is 70.0 deg, the 575 is far more upright in position, I like the slightly slacker seat angle on the Nicolai, doesnt mean it is just more relaxed, for me I take it as being not full XC type angle and not full FR angle, a happy median in the middle...

The top tube length on the FR is slightly longer, I like this, more stretched out so to speak, but at the same time able to run a short stem which I like. So for me, kinda like the seat angle, a happy median between lets say XC and FR.....

Both bike have nice shortish chainstays, not DJ short, not slopestyle short, but not at all full DH length. Will allow nimble handling and the ability to track well downhill in a straightline..............Look at is this way, the shorter the chainstays the easier it is to manual.....

Wheel base is slightly longer. I sum this again to being a bike that covers more riding types for want of a better word... The 575 is more a XC light AM ride (some could disagree) where for me the FR is more AM and some.......... In a straight line pointed down the hill the FR will be more stable, you could then say in real tight tight forrest single track the 575 may be slightly more nimble, but the differences are minimal in my opinion...............

Hope that helps, like I say, I am no slick dude on this topic

Cheers

'All over it!'

Thanks for that....

Nice sum up there. The more questions I ask, the more I want this bike. It seems exactly what I want, harder hitting than the 575 but not stupid heavy. I have revised my build list and subject to minor tweaks, this will be final.
    Attached Files Attached Files

"Its All Good"
    Nice sum up there. The more questions I ask, the more I want this bike. It seems exactly what I want, harder hitting than the 575 but not stupid heavy. I have revised my build list and subject to minor tweaks, this will be final.
    Cheers..... Yeah I am in the same position as you. For me the 575 and MotoLite are very similar in their abilities etc.... I love the ML, but it is not quite hard enough hitting for my everyday riding now... I dont mind nipping up to 32 pounds and having a strong as an Ox all day bike to ride.......

Build looks sweet, many of the same things I am going with.....

'All over it!'
    Thanks, I am still unsure of the Gobi saddle, but will probably go with the Bel Air Ti as I have two lurking around. However, I still have reservations on the width of the 819's. Still thinking of the 5.1 as I think they may be a little wider.

I value all of the advice on this forum, it's awesome, however, I think the CCDB will be good for me. There is no doubt it's an awesome shock, but it will be totally different from the platform RP23. I am kind of looking foward to having coils both end and all at 32lb, you would struggle with a SC Heckler at that and thats only 5.9 inches of rear travel.

I can't wait to see some pics of some built up FR's. What a great site this is with quality people on it.

a tight kick sound
    Whafer, you give some great points here my friend! You better be careful, the mods are gonna ask you to be a mod soon

Anyway, I agree with everything whafe said above except the ST and TT geo stuff. Whafes can correct me if I am way wrong here
    The angles of the 575 ST @160mm fork are 70 and 67. That to me means the seat tube angle is pretty slack with a more slack HA. Def NOT a more upright position than the FR. To me, these yeti angles would make climbing a little tough on really steep climbs unless the fork is lowered.
    The FR is suggested @ 72.5 or something close and 67.5 with 160 forks. These suggested numbers and my past experience with the FR leads me to believe that your position on the FR will be much more upright and over the front...not bad but in a "you better be on it sorta way!" This position rewards aggressive riders who are riding hard and really trust that front wheel even when it gets hairy! Aggro riding and weighting the front tire is where its at when the going gets rough with the FR. For me this was great! Aslo when you are in those slow tight sections the upright position makes leaning forward to make those moves that much easier, rather than having to stand out of the seat with a slacker SA, to ensure proper weight distribution. We humans can correct for this, but over those long rides, why not save some energy
    TT will be a little bit longer on the yeti I would think; with a more slack SA, the extended post is gonna go back quite a bit more...especially with a lot of post showing.

Ohh and the BB heights are gonna be pretty close, the FR may be a little higher but .5" or so though.

i will make an overlay of the two frames for ya at lunch

'All over it!'

You are a star!

Boone, you are a true gentleman. I think the geometry with a 160mm fork is fast approaching what I am looking for. I must admit, this is the first time I have looked at the geo when choosing a bike. I liked the 575 but even with heavy Michelin tyres, it never felt planted, if you know what I mean. I never did trust that little bit of carbon on the rear triangle, especially at my size.

Well 32lb was well achievable. I think this baby is going to be awesome. I must try and start sourcing a test ride somewhere in UK. At the end of the day, the proof is in the pudding, I need to ride the fuc**r to really see if it's my baby.

I appriciate you taking the time to help me out on this rather long thread.

"Its All Good"
    lorni - You see, Booner is the Dr like Err on this stuff...... He put it into words way better than I....

I have the Gobi on my MotoLite, with the Thomson Masterpiece seatpost, a great combo, but like the I beam and Bel Air I beam saddle on the Nucleon...

The CCDB will indeed be great...

I have had great riding experience with the 823 rims, not others.... The 5.1's are the ducks nuts, cats pajama's

'All over it!'
    Whafe, the colour of your Nucleon, what is it called exactly as there are many versions of cammo. The colour is awesome, especially for a military man

"Its All Good"
    Whafe, the colour of your Nucleon, what is it called exactly as there are many versions of cammo. The colour is awesome, especially for a military man
    All good, it is Jungle Camo.... You cannot have the rear tri the camo colour, they dont do it, but ask, they may have changed this for 08, seeing as though I see the Helius ST on the website is full Jungle Camo.... I wasnt aloud in 07, so the rear is balck ano...

Will look the shizzle bro full Camo.....

'All over it!'
    game on, although I kinda like the black rear tri. I think I have found my frame. When you buy a Nicolai frame, does the shock come with it, like yeti for example? I am going to go with the CCDB so if I part with the cash, I will spec it without shock, please advise

a tight kick sound
    Lorn, you should check out Nicolai UK. Maybe Falco can hook you up with an XL for a test. I think there is one kicking around there. Also, Nicolai has an 07 XL they are trying to get rid of Check out the web page.

Dude, if you got the coin, ccdb is where its at

As for wheels...5.1 are tight. One other consideration might be some dt swiss 1750's

a tight kick sound
    ok, pretty ugly and cheap lookin but you get the idea.
    Looks like the seat will be a little bit more forward and BB will be a little higher. Other than that??

"Its All Good"
    lorni - when I ordered my frame, I ordered it with a CCDB, you will, or SHOULD get a better deal getting the CCDB with the frame....

And you can for sure go Camo front and Black rear, no worries at all.... With Nicolai, the ball is in your court, most frames are almost made for each customer.....

'All over it!'

Oh and by the way, I hope you don't mind me asking.....

Can anybody enlighten me as to what a chain guide does exactly and is it beneficial to have on on the FR?

"Its All Good"
    Can anybody enlighten me as to what a chain guide does exactly and is it beneficial to have on on the FR?
    No worries, a chain guide stops your chain coming off on rough DH runs.... You would generally run a chain guide on a dual front ring set up, not a triple ring... If you look at my build for my FR, it is a dual ring, with a black spire chain guide... You could also put a bashguard on as well... Check out Blackspire and Ethirteen on the web......

For my riding, it is beneficial..... I would put one on............... Do some study on the companies mentioned, it will give some info

'All over it!'
    So, I now like the FR, how would you fine gentlemen compare it to the likes of a 6.6? Considering my size, how could you compare the two suspension systems? Is the 6.6 any better or is it not as good?

Many thanks for any input

"Its All Good"
    So, I now like the FR, how would you fine gentlemen compare it to the likes of a 6.6? Considering my size, how could you compare the two suspension systems? Is the 6.6 any better or is it not as good?

A hard one this question.... From my experience riding a VPP suspension type, I would far prefer the Nicolai setup, of which I have had on my Titus, Ellsworth and my Nicolai.... I had the VPP set up on my Intense Uzzi..... In my experience of these systems, I far prefer the Nicolai...

Then again, those with 6.6's rate them highly... Best thing would be to try and test ride both, a hard call for sure.....

I am also very much not happy at the build quality of a high number of Intense frame, which I dont enjoy saying this.................Not knocking them, just have experienced many out of line frames, including my own Intense...

mtbr member
    May 2006

Hey lornibear,,

Yo bro check your PM's. CF...

mtbr member
    May 2006

fr 6.6

I have rode both bike and have a fr right know .The 6.6 is a nice bike and pedals well the problem with it to the fr is that it is no where as stiff as the fr and is not as reliable as the fr pivots are always backing out and so are the bolts have two friends with them know and are having those problems with the bike know. you also get pedal feed back sometimes from the suspension. the fr is a much more sturdy reliable bike and also has a 5year warranty goodluck on your decision ncig

Members who have read this thread: 0