Saturn 14 ST Build Thread/Ideas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Saturn 14 ST Build Thread/Ideas

Not seeing a thread specifically for the new Saturn 14 ST, I thought I'd create one as I can't be the only person planning on building one up.

Post up your build ideas, questions and other info pertaining specifically to the Saturn 14 ST.

I think this frame has a lot of promise to be maybe the most versatile bike out there, so I'm really excited to see what others will create!
    Saturn 14 ST Build Thread/Ideas-nicolai-saturn-14-st-3000x2000_01-1-1780x1187.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am specifically debating which rear shock to get.
    In the running are:
    • New Ohlins TTX (Update: DOES NOT FIT)
    • Ext Storia Lok (NOPE - frame cannot accommodate a coil shock per Nicolai)
    • DVO Topaz T3Air (yes, it fits)
    • Manitou Mara Pro (fits, great design, what I ultimately went with)
    • Other?

For those of you not going stock, what are you planning on running?
    Last edited by ChocolateThunder; 04-14-2020 at 05:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I am also thinking of building one up, on the tech sheet it says frame is compatible with all coil shocks, where'd you hear the EXT won't fit cause thats what I wanted to run as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieTelesco View Post
    I am also thinking of building one up, on the tech sheet it says frame is compatible with all coil shocks, where'd you hear the EXT won't fit cause thats what I wanted to run as well.
    That's what Nicolai told me in an email, due to the tension bar.
    Now that I have the Saturn 14 ST in hand, I can confirm that coil won't work.
    After much research, I went with the Mara Pro 210x50, which fits.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was thinking Saturn 14 ST 130/29 w/Storia but I guess not now. \_(ツ)_/
    Maybe Ill look into a G1 or Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    @chocolatethunder any buid pics, hows the Mara pro?

I have my frame on order now, thinking of getting a DVO Topaz but Rockshox super deluxe also on the list.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    My frame is on order with Nicolai (raw with green anodized rocker and decals), the Intend Flash Fork I ordered for the frame is shipping in 2 days,and most of the other components are on hand after parting out the Forbidden Druid I had before this.

So excited!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    @chocolatethunder any buid pics, hows the Mara pro?

I have my frame on order now, thinking of getting a DVO Topaz but Rockshox super deluxe also on the list.
    Since I got the Mara Pro back from Manitou, I have not had a chance to ride it (painting the house).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My frame is on order with Nicolai (raw with green anodized rocker and decals), the Intend Flash Fork I ordered for the frame is shipping in 2 days,and most of the other components are on hand after parting out the Forbidden Druid I had before this.

So excited!
    Will be interested to hear how you like the Intend, and the comparison b/t Druid-style suspension, and honed 4-bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Any ride impressions so far?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Getting my casette, and brakes today, seatpost saturday and time to ride this weekend, so Ill let you know, and post build pics. It looks fast sitting still.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    First ride on the new bike, got the air pressures wrong and was a fair bit oversprung up front and under sprung out back but this thing still rode great, somehow didn't bottom despite having 40% sag in the rear shock . Anyways, pedals well in and out of the saddle, descends surprisingly well with the travel feeling way deeper than 130 to me.
    I was worried about the cornering based on prior experiences with 29'ers but I got along great with this bike, I have a medium and the 480 reach is right in the sweet spot to me.

Super stoked with how it came together. Struggling to upload photo, i'll update if I can figure this out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Cool! Thank you for the update
    Considering either a Saturn 14 or shortshocked G1 at the moment, so trying to figure out what will work the best for my riding.

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nice bike you have there😊 do you think it will fit maxxis 2.5wt in the back?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    can confirm, I have a 29 x 2.5 maxxis Assegai on 30mm DT swiss rim with plenty of clearance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaal View Post
    Considering either a Saturn 14 or shortshocked G1 at the moment, so trying to figure out what will work the best for my riding.
    I would not short-shock a G1. Owning both of these bikes, They are surprisingly close; I would let your trail preferences drive the decision. If I lived in Bend, OR, where the trails are flat and generally smooth, I'd get rid of my G1. With rowdy, steep descents and fire road climbs, G1. I am currently riding both and enjoying both. I find that even on a local 3 mile XC loop, the G1 is actually better over the rough, undulating terrain (with frequent corners) of this particular loop, permitting me to actually have better lap times on the G1 because the tires are always in contact with the ground, and I can always pedal, turn, or brake. The Saturn 14 ST is more nimble, but I can't always manipulate direction because the tires aren't always touching the ground. On a less turny, smoother XC loop, the Saturn would be faster. The G1 is not a slacker in the pedaling department, and this is with a Storia v3 on the G1 and a Mara Pro on the Saturn.
    That being said, the Saturn could be built up differently (mine weighs ~35 lbs) so that it was more "trail" and less "bruiser," making it faster. But, until I do that, they'll be surprisingly similar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    How have you found the 14 for general XC duties? Do you think it is too much bike? I'm a big guy (6'5"/265lb) currently on a Pole Taival HT and would like to move on to some rear suspension and a shorter wheelbase. 99% of what I ride is XC stuff. Almost all local trails are XC style and anything trail-enduro requires travel which I rarely do due to so many other commitments.

Due to my size, long arms, and Taival history, I have an idea of what I want and don't want if I'm going to go for something new. In my head and on paper, a Saturn 11 with ST tubing would almost be perfect, but the odd-ish shock size bothers me with not many options available. I just can't stop from wandering my eye over to the Saturn 14 ST though. I feel like it should do my general XC riding well and it comes well built standard so that I don't have to worry about pushing harder.

Got any thoughts from your XC riding that might help me out? I'm in no rush ATM as the whole world cycle supply issue means that even if I could get the frame any time soon, I'll have massive issues with sourcing build parts. It just took me 6 weeks to get a new higher rise stem!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brawlo View Post
    How have you found the 14 for general XC duties? Do you think it is too much bike? ... Got any thoughts from your XC riding that might help me out?...
    Well, I'm not really sure I can call any riding I do XC per se. I don't like lycra, and I only go uphill so I can descent I imagine a flatter trail would be fun with the suspension tuned a tad firmer, and with some fast tires.
    I think that with the right build it would be a strong, quick rocketship. Mind you, this is coming from a non-XC rider, but I note that with a lockout switch, it feels firm and efficient. Light wheels, tires, no CushCore... speedy times. There's only one way to find out though for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm not really into superlight, nor do I ride lycra off road. It just happens that the trails that are built in my area are hacked out by XC guys and apparently there's some downhill stuff that I probably will never venture onto. I'm now into my 40s and self preservation has gone way up my list of priorities. I like smaller jumps and drops and I think I'll be far more mentally comfortable with a stronger frame, which XC isn't necessarily about, but Nicolai might give me that option. There's a lot of trail bikes that come up into the reach figures that I want, but the steep seat tubes for climbing would make my cockpit smaller to the point that flattish XC would become a chore. Sucks to be tall sometimes

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaal View Post
    I initially tried to buy a Saturn from Geometron, but at the same time I was having issues with my previous bike, so was convinced to buy a G1.
    Demo'd one last Friday and picked a frame up the same day.

The G1 will do xc, a lighter/faster rolling set of wheels will make a big difference. It's not going to be an XC whippet though! My previous bike which is similar in numbers is just as quick as my hardtail round a local xc loop, but if I ride with others, it suffers in the slow flat turns.

Currently have a nukeproof scout 290 hardtail, which is fine over the winter. I have my eyes set on a Saturn, as to be quite honest, I'm fed up with messing around with poxy bike companies, both big and small who think shit engineering and quality control is acceptable and the consumer should tolerate it. The G1 is my first Nicolai and it lives up to the quality first mindset.

The only downside to the Saturn is that you can't fit a coil shock to it, as it would be a nice option, given the geometry and its intent.