Nicolai's Helios AM tandem!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Nicolai's Helios AM tandem!

I have officially found the newest bike I can't live without.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxyVPtEA-8s

The video speaks for itself. I ride an old Ventana ECdM with my kids on similar terrain but have been wanting something more capable for a while. If you've got kids and limited hall passes, FS tandems are phenomenally capable for making old trails challenging again and sharing the joys of bikes, trail, and long rides with with your kids.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Read about it quite a long time ago... Helius AC 650b Tandem – MBUK Superbike | Nicolai UK ... good to see Guy has actually gotten around to doing a video on it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I watched the video last month and was equally impressed with some aspects of the frame. I love the steep seat angles and have always hated the slack Ventana seat angle for the captain.

The slack HT angle on the Nicolai is the most interesting part for me. A longer than stock fork our our 29er ECDM feels terrible climbing, from what I remember. We do a lot of long rides on technical terrain and the bike needs to feel good both up and downhill. I'd love to take the 29er ECDM from 71.5 degree to 70.5 degree and try that with a steep seat angle.

I don't see the point in low BB heights. We've been running really tall BBs with our 29er ECDM with 5" links. It's very stable at speed. Maybe not as stable as the Nicolai but we launch it off ledges and blast through rock gardens at speed. Moab is only a couple of hours here and we ride there often. I can't imagine having to worry the chain was going to high center or bash the front chainring on a rock. What's the point, when the chain digs in a rock there is a good chance of the rider being launched! If its muddy and greasy I can see how it would be more stable being lower, but that isn't my priority here in the western U.S.
    2 wheels == True

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Did you catch an actual bb height measurement somewhere? I missed it if it was there. I'm willing to guess that modern long travel forks and appropriate offset have mitigated the slack head tube angle issue somewhat. We used to say the same thing about half-bikes, but now slack ht angles are standard. I have an ancient 160/140 dual position Lyrik on my ecdm. I use the travel adjust feature all the time. But suspension has come a long ways in the past 10 years and there's nothing I can upgrade to with a 1.125 steerer and modern fork offset. We bash our front chainring occasionally, but the only time we've been launched is on a bad pedal clip that stopped us cold. And we clip the stoker pedals all the time, because like you our terrain is very technical. My new bike will definitely have shorter stoker cranks arms to help with this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I asked Guy in the video comments and he said he would measure the BB height. You might be right that higher offset forks allowing slacker HT angles. We've never been launched but had a close call on the flow trails in Hood River where we dragged the chain hard, but that was a huge mogul.
    Last edited by ebnelson; 09-19-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    2 wheels == True