Nicolai vs Ibis- Mtbr.com

Thread: Nicolai vs Ibis

Oct 2006

Nicolai vs Ibis

Anyone got any experience riding the Nicolai Helius (or Helius FR) and an Ibis Mojo. Both bikes pretty much fit the bill for what I'm looking for but any feedback would be much appreciated. Cheers

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I just sold a Helius-ST but that's more of a big time freeride bike. Boone or Crazy Fred may chime up with thoughts on the Helius-FR or Helius-CC. Overall, the Helius line of frames are burly. They can be built fairly light with the right components but there is a distinct emphasis on strength and stiffness. I'd suspect that the Ibis (although I've never ridden one) is probably a fair bit lighter duty.

The Helius-CC comes in at roughly 6.1 lbs but ofcourse will vary a bit depending on the shock you choose and the size of the frame. You can also go with an XC oriented frame with 1 1/8 HT and QR dropouts or beefier with 1.5 HT, 12mm Maxle, ISCG mounts, extra gussetts, or any combination there of. Custom geo is usually no big deal with the Nicolai either.

If you offer up some additional info about how you plan to use the bike and exactly which version of the Helius you are most interested in, perhaps we can chime in with further assistance.

Oct 2006
    Cheers Err. Do you work for Black Sheep Cycles and if so can you ship to the UK and how much do you charge for the Helius FR and CC?

I want one bike and one bike only to cover just about everything. I am looking for a versatile machine that I can thrash on the trails and can hold its own in the occasional endurance race, be great going up the hill and a blast coming back down; that can handle a bit of air time a weigh in at not much more than 27lbs.

Aesthetically I prefer the look of the Helius FR over both the Helius CC and the Mojo but if I wanted to build it up light I reckon I would need about 4000 and that is a bit too much. I know I am asking a lot of one bike but when you spend 3000 on a bike you want it to be awesome.

I have a soft spot for Nicolai because they will custom make everything and the designs are awesome. The Mojo has had great reviews and is universally acclaimed by all. From what I can gather the Mojo has an excellent suspension system and a fair amount of travel but I prefer aluminium to mass produced carbon. The real problem is getting to test ride both of these fine rigs will be tricky. I would probably list my order of preference as the Helius FR followed by the Mojo followed by the Helius CC.

a tight kick sound
    hmmm...?

Well I will agree with Err! The mojo is a sub 6lb frame and comes in carbon too. They emphisize on their web page the mojo can be built below 25 lbs.WOW! The mojo looks like a long travel light weight AM rig. A long travel trail bike for XC riders if you will

As for the Nicolai, the helius CC will be more like the mojo than the FR even though the travel is different. The FR is more like the 06 Turner rfx and the new Ventana Terremoto. These are TOUGH 6" travel AM/light FR rigs. They can be built to sub 35 lbs and do really well in the climbing department. BUT, they were never meant to be sub 25lbs! With options like Err said, 1.5HT, 12mm Thru axle and the like, this is a clue that these bikes are meant to take a beating and be really stiff. Probably a bit more than the Mojo was intended for. (I will throw in a caveat here that I have never ridden a mojo and am not sure how much abuse a mojo could take with the right build).

I road a helius FR for a year and a half and loved every minute of it. You can ask Err, when it came time to get a new Nicolai it was tough to talk me out of a new helius FR (Am glad we went with a UFO though!!) The FR is such a great bike and can be very versatile. I road mine on everything from 5hr epics to DH stunts and jumps and drops. Never once did I have a problem (other than geo on the DH runs!)

I think there are 2-3 categories of these new 6" travel bikes. The really light ones (mojo, intense 6.6, I will put the helius CC here), the medium ones (turner rfx, ventana terremoto, giant reign, IH 6.8, Nicolai helius FR) and the heavy ones (Knolly delerium, Giant reign X, Nicolai UFO [email protected]"s). The geo on these also tend to reflect what they were intended for. The light ones are set a little higher in the BB and slightly more steep for better XC handling. The medium ones can go either way and the heavy ones are set pretty low in the BB and quite a bit more slack in the geo for better DH handling. Frame weight is usually a rough example of what the intended purpose of the bike is too; those above go from lightest to heaviest

Hope that helps! Like Err said, it all depends on what type of riding you will be doing most. This will help a lot in choosing which bike is better. Let us know, maybe we can help ya!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by vintage
    Cheers Err. Do you work for Black Sheep Cycles and if so can you ship to the UK and how much do you charge for the Helius FR and CC?

I want one bike and one bike only to cover just about everything. I am looking for a versatile machine that I can thrash on the trails and can hold its own in the occasional endurance race, be great going up the hill and a blast coming back down; that can handle a bit of air time a weigh in at not much more than 27lbs.

Aesthetically I prefer the look of the Helius FR over both the Helius CC and the Mojo but if I wanted to build it up light I reckon I would need about 4000 and that is a bit too much. I know I am asking a lot of one bike but when you spend 3000 on a bike you want it to be awesome.

I have a soft spot for Nicolai because they will custom make everything and the designs are awesome. The Mojo has had great reviews and is universally acclaimed by all. From what I can gather the Mojo has an excellent suspension system and a fair amount of travel but I prefer aluminium to mass produced carbon. The real problem is getting to test ride both of these fine rigs will be tricky. I would probably list my order of preference as the Helius FR followed by the Mojo followed by the Helius CC.

Yep, I do work for Black Sheep Cycles and it would be no problem at all to send a frame over to you. We sent one to Spain earlier this year..

I guarantee you that you will not be disappointed and will likely be blown away at the suspension performance of the Helius-FR. A test ride is always nice but unless you get the correct size and suspension setup with a parts list that's very close to what you want to spec, even test rides can be deceiving. A Boone can attest to, I spend a lot of time with my customers making sure they get exactly what they want.

I'm optimistic that we can get a killer Helius-FR or a CC done in your budget. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and we'll get to work figuring out all the details.

a tight kick sound
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    A Boone can attest to, I spend a lot of time with my customers making sure they get exactly what they want.

True dat
    Was a pleasure working with Toni and BSCs!! Great group of folks and they all work very hard to make sure you are one seriously happy camper.

mtbr member
    May 2006

This is to easy(as always)

I will admit the pretty Ibis Mojo carbon is a bike that is on my wish but that's just it,a pretty bike on my wish list.Now to what I OWN a Helius FR and a CC WHY? cause there is a BIG difference between a pretty bike on a wish list and a state of the art craftmanship machine bike on your must own list.I'll bet both my bike that the Ibis(I'm sure a nice bike)is way way out of its league next to the Nicolai FR, or CC.FACT..I just did a huge make over to my FR(pictures soon I promise)and the end weight was 31 pounds.But it was way way more than 3 or 4 grand(retail anyway)My CC comes in at 27 with a beefy AM build kit.Soon to make a few changes to it(I'm setting it up at 4")and that will but me at 25 to 26 for sure.I'm not as good with these reply's as most around here,but when some one ask's a question about one bike vs. another I have to chime in just to say in a round about way that I'm not be educated on and about alot of things, but I do know bikes and I just can't see anything being better than a Nicolai(and I've had about 18 bikes since 2000) Well that's all I got for now so good luck and if there is anything I can do for(anybody)let me know.peace.CF.

Members who have read this thread: 0