mtbr member
    May 2018
    Name:  mech 4.jpg
Views: 2280
Size:  39.4 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Chainline looks ok on those pics.
    Have you checked chainlength at full shock compression? Too short of a chain is a mistake i've made in the past that will drag the derailleur in towards the wheel when you get deeper in the travel.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Hi buddy, yea I thought chain length so went as long as possible I could get away without slop, but no joy, cheers though

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    That looks funny to me. By any chance are you using a non-boost wheel with spacers/adapters?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cabage_cat View Post
    Hi buddy, yea I thought chain length so went as long as possible I could get away without slop, but no joy, cheers though
    I also didnt think it looked terrible.

You could bring it closer to middle with a Non boost chainring but my 83mm B.B.version is similar although 11spd.
    That chain bend isnt unusual. The effect its having doesnt sound right though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Yea Ive got 73mm B.B. on mine buddy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yea Ive got 73mm B.B. on mine buddy.
    I got that. I mean I have a similar chainline with no issues.

I expect it to be straight around 8

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Ah I see, sorry, Ive given up now tbh, Its been apart so many times, I just bit the bullet and seeing Chriss p tomorrow. First time Ive had to visit a shop for help but think Ive got blinded so to speak, a fresh set of eyes. I cant speak highly enough of that kind of support on hand, absolutely spot on👍

Cheers for trying to help, appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ah I see, sorry, Ive given up now tbh, Its been apart so many times, I just bit the bullet and seeing Chriss p tomorrow. First time Ive had to visit a shop for help but think Ive got blinded so to speak, a fresh set of eyes. I cant speak highly enough of that kind of support on hand, absolutely spot on

Cheers for trying to help, appreciated.
    Say hi from me. Not caught up in a few weeks.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Na bother, will do

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    PSA:

MRP Ribbon now available in reduced offsets for 650b and 29er forks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Anyone running a bottle cage Mount inside the frame triangle?!

Got my Ion G15 XL now and beside testing a hip pack with bladder still not found a perfect solution to hydrate.

Have heard Printcycles does a 3D printed bottle cage mount but they are not answering any emails, so i don't know if they still exist?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tallguy3001 View Post
    Anyone running a bottle cage Mount inside the frame triangle?!

Got my Ion G15 XL now and beside testing a hip pack with bladder still not found a perfect solution to hydrate.

Have heard Printcycles does a 3D printed bottle cage mount but they are not answering any emails, so i don't know if they still exist?!

I use an SKS Anywhere bottle cage mounted on the underside of the top tube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Anyone running a metric shock in a Geometron/Nicolai? Heard the metric Shocks are far better in reliability and performance and thought of switching the Monarch Plus for a Super Deluxe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Had a spin round the car park at Mojo Rising/Geometron the other day. Tried a G16 in 29er form and instantly realised I've been riding too short bikes for years! Just got to sell all 3 current bikes and then put in an order for one. Not sure if a hybrid or full 29er is the way to go yet as only tried 29er very briefly.

What rims are people running?

I'm thinking Stans Arch mk3 or Flow mk3. I currently have Arch mk3s and think they're pretty good but did manage to ding rear in a Bike Park Wales rock garden. I did have low tyre pressures and was stupid with line choice though. (187cm tall and weight 84kg).

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tallguy3001 View Post
    Anyone running a metric shock in a Geometron/Nicolai? Heard the metric Shocks are far better in reliability and performance and thought of switching the Monarch Plus for a Super Deluxe.
    Wouldn't the eye-to-eye length be wrong though?

Name:  max_Metric_Shock_Sizing_711223-500x287.jpg
Views: 1782
Size:  28.3 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gmt198 View Post
    Had a spin round the car park at Mojo Rising/Geometron the other day. Tried a G16 in 29er form and instantly realised I've been riding too short bikes for years! Just got to sell all 3 current bikes and then put in an order for one. Not sure if a hybrid or full 29er is the way to go yet as only tried 29er very briefly.

I'm thinking Stans Arch mk3 or Flow mk3. I currently have Arch mk3s and think they're pretty good but did manage to ding rear in a Bike Park Wales rock garden. I did have low tyre pressures and was stupid with line choice though. (187cm tall and weight 84kg).
    I'm using a Flow mk3 for a rear rim and a Derby carbon rim on the front. I got the Flow rim because I wasn't sure if I would really like the hybrid setup. It works pretty well, I don't think I would bother with the Arch rims for weight saving, light weight is not really the point of a G16 anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks - i wasn't thinking in terms of weight of bike but in terms of angular momentum and giroscopic stability. A reduced rim weight might improve agility/handling in that sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I'm running a We Are One Composites on the rear and an LB carbon I took off the front of another bike. The LBs replaced a set of OG Archs that I smashed on another bike. I wouldn't bother with any Arch rim on a G16, I'd go Flow minimum. Or if sticking with 275 DT EX511

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    I had a similar number in my head, but the stock geo should be based on a 559mm a2c 170mm Fox 36 not 550.

I think youll find in reality its slightly higher than the stock high setting with the 222 by about 5mm so 345mm ish B.B. and the sag will get close to evening it out so not too high.
    Offset bushes for the win.

Enjoyment update for my 27.5 16 Nicolai Geometron:
    Ive been running 8.75x2.75 X2 in low setting. Turns out the Fox I swapped in was 170mm all along, into which I put an Avalanche cartridge which is life-changing. This setup has been phenomenal (normal headset, no offset bushings). I swapped in an 8.5x2.5 shock (still in low) - TERRIBLE. Might be the shock, but I was clipping pedals and dabbing like a madman. I guess even with 165mm cranks one can go too low. So I put it in high - much better. Will be going back to 8.75x2.75 (low) and try some offset bushings (1 or 2) just to see if theres a happy medium.
    Ive been reading this thread again, thinking about hybrid (29 F). What kind of fork travel/offset would I need to make this work? Can I still run 8.75x2.75 shock (with both offset bushings, of course). Will I need to lower stack height/remove spacers?
    Any other advice?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkellison View Post
    Ive been running 8.75x2.75 X2 in low setting. Turns out the Fox I swapped in was 170mm all along, into which I put an Avalanche cartridge which is life-changing. This setup has been phenomenal (normal headset, no offset bushings). I swapped in an 8.5x2.5 shock (still in low) - TERRIBLE. Might be the shock, but I was clipping pedals and dabbing like a madman. I guess even with 165mm cranks one can go too low. So I put it in high - much better. Will be going back to 8.75x2.75 (low) and try some offset bushings (1 or 2) just to see if theres a happy medium.
    Ive been reading this thread again, thinking about hybrid (29 F). What kind of fork travel/offset would I need to make this work? Can I still run 8.75x2.75 shock (with both offset bushings, of course). Will I need to lower stack height/remove spacers?
    Any other advice?
    I'm not sure about whether you can run the 8.75"x2.75" shock on that frame as a hybrid though I would also be interested to know this. (edit-thinking about this I would likely want a longer fork, maybe 40's limited to 180 mm as on some of the bikes earlier in the thread)

I also have a 2016 frame, set up as a hybrid with 160 mm 36s with 51mm offset. With a 8.5"x2.5" shock in low and no angleset this gives around a 61 deg head angle measured with a sketchy angle finder app.

It was interesting comparing it to my Dad's 2017 XL frame, also set up as a hybrid but with a 44 mm offset fork (which has around a 60 deg HA). This setup is quite similar, but the steering feels a bit calmer than my bike. It's not enough of a difference for me to be bothering buying a short offset CSU now but I'd probably get a shorter offset if I was looking at a new fork and had the option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Any other advice?
    In the low set up which you switched from you could try increasing the progression and the dynamic sag point using volume spacers and tuning the damping to suit. You cant use the same as in high.
    I only run 18-20% sag in that setup, although also with a 180mm fork.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Any other advice?
    You can run hybrid, use a 160mm 29 er fork.

If you have Fox the best option is to swop/get new lowers to 29 lowers and reduce the travel to 160m.
    Thats perfect at 44mm offset.
    I dont know if you can do the same with RS forks.
    Then try one offset bush and should be awesome.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by morphosity View Post
    I'm not sure about whether you can run the 8.75"x2.75" shock on that frame as a hybrid though I would also be interested to know this. (edit-thinking about this I would likely want a longer fork, maybe 40's limited to 180 mm as on some of the bikes earlier in the thread)

I also have a 2016 frame, set up as a hybrid with 160 mm 36s with 51mm offset. With a 8.5"x2.5" shock in low and no angleset this gives around a 61 deg head angle measured with a sketchy angle finder app.

It was interesting comparing it to my Dad's 2017 XL frame, also set up as a hybrid but with a 44 mm offset fork (which has around a 60 deg HA). This setup is quite similar, but the steering feels a bit calmer than my bike. It's not enough of a difference for me to be bothering buying a short offset CSU now but I'd probably get a shorter offset if I was looking at a new fork and had the option.
    Your Dads bike should be a real 61deg HA and yours a 62 HA. Slight differences based on tyres.

The 16 (73mm bb?) is a lovely hybrid conversion frame as the angles just fall into place

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by morphosity View Post

Let me get this straight. Youre saying that your bike with a 29 front wheel (slower steering) and slacker HTA (also slower/more stable) is too twitchy, and youd reduce offset to make it even slower-steering if you could do-over?
    I ask because I think my bike is already pretty slow-steering/stable (though I have a 40mm stem), and I have a hard time thinking Id like it if it were even slower. When racing, I lose the most time in corners, not the plow-tastic straights. Can you rail sharper, banked corners ok on that setup? Have you tried other setups? How tall are you, what size, and what kind of spacer/stem/bar rise setup do you have?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    In the low set up which you switched from you could try increasing the progression and the dynamic sag point using volume spacers and tuning the damping to suit. You cant use the same as in high.
    I only run 18-20% sag in that setup, although also with a 180mm fork.

Are you referring to me running 8.75 or 8.5 shock? I would rather run more sag on the 8.75 than less sag on the 8.5.
    Which length shock are you running with your 180? Any other mods to your hybrid?
    Can I run 170 with 8.75?
    Maybe itd be easier if you can tell me what static BB height should be? And how to measure dynamic BB (I have ShockWiz if that helps)? Seems like BB height is the big predictor of is it set up correctly?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Your Dads bike should be a real 61deg HA and yours a 62 HA. Slight differences based on tyres.

The 16 (73mm bb?) is a lovely hybrid conversion frame as the angles just fall into place

Thanks, I really like the bike, pretty sure it is from the last run of frames before they went to the 83mm bb. Having spent a bit of time riding both, I've pretty much decided I like the setup I have on it at the moment enough not to want to change it too much.

Let me get this straight. Youre saying that your bike with a 29 front wheel (slower steering) and slacker HTA (also slower/more stable) is too twitchy, and youd reduce offset to make it even slower-steering if you could do-over?
    I ask because I think my bike is already pretty slow-steering/stable (though I have a 40mm stem), and I have a hard time thinking Id like it if it were even slower. When racing, I lose the most time in corners, not the plow-tastic straights. Can you rail sharper, banked corners ok on that setup? Have you tried other setups? How tall are you, what size, and what kind of spacer/stem/bar rise setup do you have?

Not exactly, I was trying not to use words like twitchy, as I don't think it's possible to set one of these bikes up to be twitchy. I would almost say the shorter offset fork is a bit more self-correcting (to borrow a line from the review of the Transition Sentinel on pinkbike) but I've found the difference to be fairly subtle and easy to adapt to.

I'm 182 cm tall, the bike is a Longest, set up with a 35mm stem, 800mm wide bars with 30mm rise and 15mm of spacers. From memory I had 750mm wide bars and fewer spacers on it when it was built up first but this didn't feel quite right so I changed around over the first few rides until it did. Other than that I haven't tried other setups on it, mainly because I don't want to lose the rollover of the bigger front wheel.

It's the best cornering bike I've had, no problems with reasonably tight berms/banked corners that required a bit more thought on my last bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good feeback, thanks. I hear good things about DT EX511 and EX471 rims. Maybe they are a better choice for a Hybrid setup.

mtbr member
    If anyone is interested Ive got a Fox Van RC 222x70 for sale if anyone is interested. I just bought this because my other shock blew up just days before a month long trip in Europe. I only rode it for a month. Willing to sell for $175OBO buyer pays shipping. Good way to try a long shock on your Geometrons. PM me
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Just a quick question, how many spacers are needed on each side for bb installation on a G16 - is it the usual for an 83mm bb shell of 2 driveside and 1 non-driveside?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hi guys just found this thread on google...

Currently riding a 2016 g16 in longest (lrg) but looking to upgrade to the new boost model.

I demo one (longest) at the Ard'rock wkend just gone. After being back a couple of days now I think it felt a little bigger/felt more stretched out on the demo one although it being the same size?

I'm 5ft 10" (177cm) with a 33" inside leg & weigh 94kg, on the geometron page it has me between the longer (med) & longest (lrg) i'm after some advice from someone of similar size/weight. Ill be purchasing it as a 27.5 but eventually buy some 29er lowers to go hybrid.

Kind regards,

Hillary.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I'm 5' 9" with a 31" i/s leg and I sized up both the longer and the longest. Both felt fine to ride but I ended up going with the longer because the standover was a bit tight on the longest. Length-wise the longer felt fine though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    5'11" and 33" i/s leg on 2016 longest with longer rear swing arm and 29" front (thanks Pilot). Had a longer (medium) for over a year from the original batch but after spending time on a longer it felt short and cramped, relatively speaking, going back to the medium.
    Unless you had a particular need to change to the latest boost version i would stick with the frame you had and use any money to purchase a 29 lower, the angles work a lot better on the older frame for hybrid with no need to mess with offset bushes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Noskills View Post
    5'11" and 33" i/s leg on 2016 longest with longer rear swing arm and 29" front (thanks Pilot). Had a longer (medium) for over a year from the original batch but after spending time on a longer it felt short and cramped, relatively speaking, going back to the medium.
    Unless you had a particular need to change to the latest boost version i would stick with the frame you had and use any money to purchase a 29 lower, the angles work a lot better on the older frame for hybrid with no need to mess with offset bushes.

Thanks for the reply Gents...

Was only upgrading to the newer frame as mine is getting very dogeared now, also finding it very difficult to get a set of non boost 29er lowers, if anyone could be of help, a link if possible, i'd really appreciate that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillary_Briss View Post
    Thanks for the reply Gents...

Was only upgrading to the newer frame as mine is getting very dogeared now, also finding it very difficult to get a set of non boost 29er lowers, if anyone could be of help, a link if possible, i'd really appreciate that?
    As NoSkills says really.

But If newer frame Id put you on a Longest.
    If its a black older frame Halfords matt black is a perfect match and brings them up like new.

Im not sure you can get non boost 29er lowers anymore.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks Chainline I received a reply from silverfish this morning saying the same.

So if I purchased a set of boost 160mm would I have to buy a set of 27.5 & source 29er lowers or would just a set of 160mm 29er be ok?

Thanks,

Hillary.

mtbr member
    Hi, everybody I just posted my frame up for sale. If you know anyone interested in a custom frame please let me know Ill try to give them the best deal I can. I bought another MOJO I'm just building something new.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2423368/

2018 Nicolai/MOJO custom S/M G15 29" 2 shocks - MTBR Classifieds

I'll post up on MTBR for sale too

If anyone is looking for a Fork or shock take a look at my ad.

Ill post up my new bike when its build, frame arrives on Wednesday
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by thegromit View Post
    Hi, everybody I just posted my frame up for sale. If you know anyone interested in a custom frame please let me know Ill try to give them the best deal I can. I bought another MOJO I'm just building something new.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2423368/

2018 Nicolai/MOJO custom S/M G15 29" 2 shocks - MTBR Classifieds

I'll post up on MTBR for sale too

If anyone is looking for a Fork or shock take a look at my ad.

Ill post up my new bike when its build, frame arrives on Wednesday
    That's stunning, love the black stanchion on orange lowers 😊👌

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillary_Briss View Post
    That's stunning, love the black stanchion on orange lowers 😊👌
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have recently purchased a geometron g16 would like to pass on my thoughts on dealing with them.
    A bit about myself.
    First of all, I'm 6'7" which means ive been riding bikes that are to small for me all my life.
    Having read a few interviews with Chris porter in which he seemed to make a lot of sense regarding bike setup the way bike geometries could be pushed further, I decided to give them a call.
    Over the course of many phone calls/emails, discussing what I wanted, I ordered a G16 29r in XXL.
    Bare in mind I went purely on there advice with no test ride.
    There was a delay in delivery, which was not geometrons fault but due to issues at the nicolai factory.
    However, they offered offered to loan me a bike until mine arrived (How many companies would do that).
    I arranged to pick the bike up approx 2 weeks ago and drove to there HQ to have it tuned.
    Chris and Paul were superb. Very friendly and down to earth.
    They talked me through the bike and the reason for it being setup the way it is
    Several springs were tried to find the correct setup for my weight.
    They also gave lots of really valuable advice on what to expect when riding it, which really made a lot of sense when I hit the trails.
    I went to ride it at bike park wales for the first time later that day. After 1-2 runs I was convinced I'd made the right choice and that the guys at geometron know how to build bikes.
    The bike gives so much confidence. It feels amazingly stable when railing berms and feels like it will plough through anything. The suspension feels so smooth and plush, it just sucks up drops and rock gardens.
    I've also since tested it on some longer rides with lots of climbing. It might not be an xc machine but it climbs much better than I expected.

I should mention cost. I paid just short of 6k.
    Yes, it's a lot of money.
    However, when you look around at all the so called carbon 'superbikes' going for this price or more, and take into account geometrons personalised service and custom tuning, its actually a bargain (if 6k can be called a bargain &#128513

So, I really cant recommend these guys highly enough, and they are a UK company.add them to your shortlist.

Lesjohn

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lesburn View Post
    I have recently purchased a geometron g16 would like to pass on my thoughts on dealing with them.
    A bit about myself.
    First of all, I'm 6'7" which means ive been riding bikes that are to small for me all my life.
    Having read a few interviews with Chris porter in which he seemed to make a lot of sense regarding bike setup the way bike geometries could be pushed further, I decided to give them a call.
    Over the course of many phone calls/emails, discussing what I wanted, I ordered a G16 29r in XXL.
    There was a delay in delivery, which was not geometrons fault but due to issues at the nicolai factory.
    However, they offered offered to loan me a bike until mine arrived (How many companies would do that).
    I arranged to pick the bike up approx 2 weeks ago and drove to there HQ to have it tuned.
    They also gave lots of really valuable advice on what to expect when riding it, which really made a lot of sense when I hit the trails.
    I went to ride it at bike park wales for the first time later that day. After 1-2 runs I was convinced I'd made the right choice and that the guys at geometron know how to build bikes.
    The bike gives so much confidence. It feels amazingly stable when railing berms and feels like it will plough through anything. The suspension feels so smooth and plush, it just sucks up drops and rock gardens.
    I've also since tested it on some longer rides with lots of climbing. It might not be an xc machine but it climbs much better than I expected.

However, when you look around at all the so called carbon 'superbikes' going for this price or more, and take into account geometrons personalised service and custom tuning, its actually a bargain (if 6k can be called a bargain )

So, I really cant recommend these guys highly enough, and they are a UK company.add them to your shortlist.

Lesjohn
    Super happy you feel this way. Im sure youll only like it more over time.

If you do decide to be more XC and do Longer rides you can always drop in an air shock at the rear for those rides and shed a few hundred grams/firm up the pedalling.
    Of course its never going to be light but its tough.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The reason I went ext storia is because at my weight, 280lbs, an airshock wouldn't cut it. Ha.
    I may get some lighter xc wheels n tyres to swap between though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The reason I went ext storia is because at my weight, 280lbs, an airshock wouldn't cut it. Ha.
    I may get some lighter xc wheels n tyres to swap between though.
    Storia is lovely, at your weight the difference in shock weight is, as you imply, irrelevant wheels would make a difference though.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    A bit about myself.

However, when you look around at all the so called carbon 'superbikes' going for this price or more, and take into account geometrons personalised service and custom tuning, its actually a bargain (if 6k can be called a bargain &#128513

Lesjohn
    Brave decision to lay out 6k without a test ride! having said that I bl00dy love my G13 and sounds like you're very pleased with your new bike - any chance of any pictures?

I too had great service from Paul/Chris, little did I realise at the time but it was during the Mojo/Fox split which must've been hugely stressful for them but they were still v helpful, nothing too much trouble.
    It seems they place great value on the service they provide to the point that if they grew the company through more demos/shows/reviews etc the customer service would suffer, just my thoughts though

A G16 29er sounds the immense, out of curiosity did you do anything to lower BB height?

The EXT shocks seems to be the ones to have at the moment, saw a couple at BPW in July, interested as to how it would do for general trail riding etc? weight penalty could be offset by new wheels but it's still almost a grand!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Any reason to not run a 200x57 shock on a G13?
    With offset bushings it should be only around 5mm longer actual eye-to-eye. The B.B. height in Low is a bit too low anyway and with a -2 angleset fitted its still going to be super slack.
    Just opens up more possibilities with shock choice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Morning everybody.....well i've just bitten the bullet and purchased a Longest G16 frame..unfortunately not new but as near as damn it (July 17)..i was just curious as to any "Do's and Don'ts" for building it ....?
    It's going to be Fox 160 all round mainly because that's all i've got...infact apart from a couple of bits its going to be like this one
    https://nsmb.com/articles/personal-r...16-bike-check/

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by squid69 View Post
    Morning everybody.....well i've just bitten the bullet and purchased a Longest G16 frame..unfortunately not new but as near as damn it (July 17)..i was just curious as to any "Do's and Don'ts" for building it ....?
    It's going to be Fox 160 all round mainly because that's all i've got...infact apart from a couple of bits its going to be like this one
    https://nsmb.com/articles/personal-r...16-bike-check/
    Congratulations on your purchase!! You'll love it!
    AJ Barlas bike looks like an excellent starting point, you could always think about running 29" wheels or even 29" front/27.5" rear
    I don't worry too much about weight so no need to add carbon bling (unless you have budget), but might want to think about lighter rims to add extra zip out of corners?
    That's my experience from a G13 anyway, others might want to comment on specifics of a G16

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Cheers bathbill....the carbon i already have in the shape of Race Face Sixc cranks and Renthal bars with a 35mm renthal stem,the rims are not an issue at the moment but i'd love to get some more Sixth Element carbon ones as i have them on my Kingdom X2 UK Spec hardtail and can't fault them,but they are not priority at the moment,i've got 11 speed X01 cassette and mech with Hope E3 braking in Orange and a Fox transfer dropper 150mm (Kashima) so i'm thinking it'll look pretty damn nice but not to bling.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Congrats on a great bike!
    Sounds like you got a bunch of good parts for it. I've run my G16 29er with both Hope Enduro wheels and Derby carbon rims on Hope, and i do find the bike better with the stiffer carbon wheels (on the other hand my hardtail works better with the alu wheels). The weight difference is not that great so i think it is down to the stiffness giving a different ride quality.
    Other than that i found that i needed to rotate the bar more forward than i have done on other bikes in order to get a balanced position on the G16.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Cheers for the info Olaal from what I've read on the Singletrack forum lots of little tweeks will have to be thought about, aparantly it turned up earlier today so the wait is over(well apart from the build time..!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Nice! Early delivery is fun!
    Yeah, there are some tweaks to be done for sure. The different position on the bike influences how you set up suspension as well to get a balanced bike. But it really is nothing too crazy, more than anything the bike just feels so comfortable

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    My what a big box it comes in......!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I seem to have read somewhere about the rear brake mount that you have to use a 180 for a 203 rotor..? Or am i imaging this..?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I think this might be that the frame accepts rear brake caliper mounted (post mount) to frame for 180mm rotor, if you want to run a 203mm rotor you just need an adapter.
    Nothing particular unusual about this though as most frame/forks are set up a similar way

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thats fine i only want to run a 180mm on the rear...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bathbill View Post
    I think this might be that the frame accepts rear brake caliper mounted (post mount) to frame for 180mm rotor, if you want to run a 203mm rotor you just need an adapter.
    Nothing particular unusual about this though as most frame/forks are set up a similar way
    Yep. This. 183mm use a small washer though often doesnt need it.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Next question... Who runs a chain guide/bash guard.... And if so what...?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    One up and absolute black make durable and light weight bash /guide setups. Both are reasonably priced and compatible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    What eye to eye and stroke shock are needed from EXT Storia shock (metric info preferred)? It will go on a G16 27.5 155mm setting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai22 View Post
    What eye to eye and stroke shock are needed from EXT Storia shock (metric info preferred)? It will go on a G16 27.5 155mm setting.
    Think its 215mm x 64mm sorry not metric

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I use a Blackspire TrailX ISCG 05 guide on my G16

G16 uses imperial sizing shocks. 8.5x2.5=155mm travel mode.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    I use a Blackspire TrailX ISCG 05 guide on my G16

G16 uses imperial sizing shocks. 8.5x2.5=155mm travel mode.
    Just got one from Blackspire for 46 posted.... Not to bad i didn't think

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Hi,
    could anyone tell me which RockShox Maxle rear axle fits the G16 boost rear? 12x148 axle is available in 2 lengths, 180mm and 188mm, which one should I order?

Gesendet von meinem EML-L29 mit Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've been looking to buy one also - as far as I know, the 188mm version is for Split Pivot frames (Devinci, etc), while the standard boost ones are 180mm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sram-Full-F...maxle+rear+188

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sram-unisex...maxle+rear+180

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by honourablegeorge View Post
    I've been looking to buy one also - as far as I know, the 188mm version is for Split Pivot frames (Devinci, etc), while the standard boost ones are 180mm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sram-Full-F...maxle+rear+188

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sram-unisex...maxle+rear+180
    OK, didn't know they have their own standard.
    Thank you for that information!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JPJonny View Post
    OK, didn't know they have their own standard.
    Thank you for that information!

Why is a Maxle considered a better option than the Nicolai bolt-thru axle? 30 for a bolt seems excessive!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I have the Funn top guide but still losing the chain occasionally (and it's a pain in the a$$ to get back on!), it could of course be the way I fitted it but thinking maybe a top guide with bash and/or lower guide might be the way to go...any thoughts experience of this? drag issues with lower roller?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bathbill View Post
    Why is a Maxle considered a better option than the Nicolai bolt-thru axle? 30 for a bolt seems excessive!

The Nicolai Axle is ~28 Euro plus post, so more or less the smae price. The Maxle Stealth is lighter, the Maxle with QR might be convenient if you take your wheel off a lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm running the TrailX with a BS SnaggleTooth 32t Direct Mount ring

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Blue and orange hybrid . Best bike i ever had. Goats the climbs and destroys the descents . Can handle bike parks and all day epics . Really pleased
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-0a687fe5-8864-436e-95d8-54bf87c7e901.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Before I set out on mone for the first time i was wondering if the suspension set up differs in any way from "normal bikes" my 160mm 36's and X2 were set up for my Alpine 160..... If so could someone give me some ball park figures for my 15st 7lb riding bulk..?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rider jim View Post
    Blue and orange hybrid . Best bike i ever had. Goats the climbs and destroys the descents . Can handle bike parks and all day epics . Really pleased
    Excellent looking ride. I just ordered a 275 rear wheel and tyre to try hybrid. Might be switching to a Hope crankset as well. Canfield Bros set is giving myself grief.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Love the hybrid setup. It just feels right when you ride it. Had a hope crankset on her before , heard good things about them and looked the tits but mine creaked a lot no matter how I tried to stop it. Thats a raceface atlas set on her now and they are silent and been a fit and forget item.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I was re-reading Greg Minnaars PB interview on geo where he said he runs a shorter stem length than fork offset (or this is what Honda suggested).

I was wondering what offsets and stem lengths you guys (and gals) are running for 29 forks.

I'm currently on 46 offset with 50 stem but want to try a shorter stem but not sure if I go 40 or 31.8mm.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The GeoMetron/ Geolution concept is generally based around a short stem (think under 40mm), Hope do a 35mm stem which a lot of riders use

I think the 31.8mm measurement you refer to is the handlebar clamp size rather than stem length, 31.8mm is a common standard but more recently a fatter 35mm clamp has emerged

As for offset, I have the standard 51mm offset on my 29" Fox 34's, but seems like 90% of new 29er bikes are speccing reduced offsets, I'd give it a try too if I had the cash

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Bill,

Sorry I meant 30mm. I was looking at a Chromag Ranger which comes in 30 and 40mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Ah yes ok, I'd vote go with 30mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I have 35mm Hope stem on my G16 29er with 44mm offset. Works like a charm I don't really see any point in going for something longer.

mtbr member
    He's probalby talking about a Renthal apex, which comes in a 31mm length. Syntace (Megaforce 2) do a 30mm stem - that's basically as short as you can go, there's only that much space before bar touches steerer(for 31.8 diameter bars).

I use the Syntace on my G16, the Hope 35mm on my G13. Syntace is a lovely thing, rated for 800mm bars, 10 year warranty, Ti bolts, 106g

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Taking things to extremes the Pancenti P-dent is a bar/stem combo which has a notch in the bar which equates to a 25mm stem! Probably be too quick even for a Geometron!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just bought a EXT storia direct and have topout issue. 216x63 but it looks like it's de-stroked with plastic spacers. I'm on a XL frame and believe it may be different valving from Paul and Chris. Anyone with the same issue?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Can you elaborate on the top out? I just got a new Geometron G16 and maybe it's not an issue - lifting the bike off the ground there is a small clunk. I was going to email them and ask but suspect it's normal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Can you elaborate on the top out? I just got a new Geometron G16 and maybe it's not an issue - lifting the bike off the ground there is a small clunk. I was going to email them and ask but suspect it's normal.
    The clunk is at topout when you compress the bike by the frame and lift off quickly. I also notice it when I hop over things or am in the chunder. I have zero preload, the spring perch is tight and my rebound is 3 clicks from closed. I want to know if that's normal as well? Did Chris re-tune the shock for your bike? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The clunk is at topout when you compress the bike by the frame and lift off quickly. I also notice it when I hop over things or am in the chunder. I have zero preload, the spring perch is tight and my rebound is 3 clicks from closed. I want to know if that's normal as well? Did Chris re-tune the shock for your bike? Thanks
    I'll email them and ask - i did give my weight prior to picking the bike up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not a definite answer but Stock valving from EXT is/can be noisy with a titanium ball and spring assembly as a rebound check valve that sounds exactly like the shock is topping top out as its metallic in nature.you can hear and feel it.
    GeoMetron bikes modify the set up to stop it.

Or the shock could be cavitated and need a bleed.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    How do you rate the EXT, Pilot? I'm curious about it, but having said that, my X2 has been so good and so trouble free that I'd struggle to justify a change

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    How do you rate the EXT, Pilot? I'm curious about it, but having said that, my X2 has been so good and so trouble free that I'd struggle to justify a change
    EXT performance is unlike all other production shocks I've ridden. The cost is substantial, and the weight is noticeable but the shock is incredible for a progressive bike design. FX2 is adjustable and a good performing product but it does have high stiction values.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not used one yet. I was waiting for the damping mods to work with lighter riders and GeoMetron specific setup.
    All there now but I havent got to sorting yet. Still on my X2s.

I just happen to be a bit nerdy!

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Has anyone got a Rockguardz carbon frame protector on their matte/anodised black G16 and if so does it scratch the frame badly when taking it off to clean crap out of RockGuardz.?
    And if so how do you rectify it..?
    Last edited by squid69; 1 Week Ago at 07:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Got one on mine & never had a problem with it scratching the finish.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789