Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread - Page 6- Mtbr.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 1,001 to 1,108 of 1108
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    Iíve been so busy at work I have been quiet. Also pretty happy with my bike!

Due to get G1 springtime along with Selva and EXT. Iím confident it will be almost exactly the same as my bike but with slightly more upright pedalling position and lower BB, which was the plan. The fork will be better than my current fork but we shall see on the shock. Iím still old skool with 2 lengths of X2

Iím also going to flip between 27.5 and 29 front as a bit of an experiment on trails I ride.

I didnít know Jack was leaving. I would say money probably is tight and Brexit probably not helping, but Iím not sure heís doing better than before he took on the bike which could also be a question in his mind.

I do know they canít make enough ebikes... not my bag but everywhere I turn these days.

Iím beginning to look at natural riding more to avoid being buzzed and the lack of etiquette. I donít know if it was always there but I didnít see it or if itís a whole new type of new rider.

Clearly doesnít apply to all, just my recent experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey @the_pilot any news on your G1? I see the GeoMetron guys are building & shipping at the moment so preume you were one of the early orders
    Keen to hear your thoughts on frame/shock/fork as & when you get a chance

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bathbill View Post
    Hey @the_pilot any news on your G1? I see the GeoMetron guys are building & shipping at the moment so preume you were one of the early orders
    Keen to hear your thoughts on frame/shock/fork as & when you get a chance
    Iím not! So busy at work! Waiting for Chris to come back to me..

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Can't wait to see more G1's build up the next weeks on Instagram!

Cornelius, Nicolai's team rider has his one built up too last week and its the first one i saw in black with black decals and looks damn good!

In the meantime i'm looking for a new shock for racing purposes for my G15, as the Monarch Plus is good but not as good as it could be (especially for my 100kg rider weight).

DHX2? Vivid Coil? Unfortunately the EXT Storia v3 is too expensive for me, although it would be a dream come true to have one on my bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tallguy3001 View Post

Cornelius, Nicolai's team rider has his one built up too last week and its the first one i saw in black with black decals and looks damn good!

In the meantime i'm looking for a new shock for racing purposes for my G15, as the Monarch Plus is good but not as good as it could be (especially for my 100kg rider weight).

DHX2? Vivid Coil? Unfortunately the EXT Storia v3 is too expensive for me, although it would be a dream come true to have one on my bike!
    well vivid coil is significantly cheaper yes ( I could get new 216mm one for 270euro in Slovakia), but I donīt know where you are from, if US than ok, DHX2 is cheaper there, but in europe DHX2 with SLS spring is pretty much as expensive as Storia, which is tragicomical all things considered.

mtbr member

I have a van rc which is the same thing as the new marz shock. Itís pretty damn good. I sent it to Craig at avalanche and would say itís probably the best feeling shock ive had. So for under 400 you can have a custom tuned damper that is actually shimmed for you. Hard to beat. Mines on a g15 but I long shocked it to 165mm rear travel matched with a 170 marz bomber.

On another note Iíve been thinking of throwing my 650b rear wheel on after rotarua to see what I think of a hybrid set up.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

I've just got a Storia V2 222x17 (175mm) for £600 from Mojo....may still have some in stock comes with 2 springs for your weight......lovely bit of kit must say
    Last edited by squid69; 03-25-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to add

mtbr member
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thegromit View Post
    I have a van rc which is the same thing as the new marz shock. Itís pretty damn good. I sent it to Craig at avalanche and would say itís probably the best feeling shock ive had. So for under 400 you can have a custom tuned damper that is actually shimmed for you. Hard to beat. Mines on a g15 but I long shocked it to 165mm rear travel matched with a 170 marz bomber.
    This is very interesting, what did you do when you changed the travel of G15 from 145mm to 165mm? Or did I misunderstood the above?

mtbr member
    I just put a longer stroke shock on it. Stock is 8.5x2.5 if you put a 8.75x2.75 shock you get 20mm more travel. Its how it is done on the g16.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks, that's what I suspected! My earlier understanding was that there's not enough room for additional rear wheel travel.
    Did you use offset bushings to compensate any changes to geometry due to different shock lenght?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    What is max tire width you can put on g1? I am currently considering between geometron g1 and pole stamina. I really like versatility of g1 and available color choices but stamina has a lot of clearance in the rear, can take up 29x2.8 also has multiple bottle mounts which geometron bikes seems to be missing completely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ^2.5" says tech sheet on Nicolai's web page:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...DOP9Y6/pubhtml

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TuomasR View Post
    Thanks, that's what I suspected! My earlier understanding was that there's not enough room for additional rear wheel travel.
    Did you use offset bushings to compensate any changes to geometry due to different shock lenght?
    No I was just riding with it in the low position but I also put a 170mm fork on it.
    I did order a offset bushing to try an experiment with a 27.5 rear wheel.
    Currently I have one on with about a 63* HTA 76ish STA and a BB about 330ish.
    The offset should put me at about 63.5HTA 76.5STA and BB 338.

Should be a pretty fun set up I think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have stock set up currently, with 160mm fork ,which unfortunately doesn't support longer airspring (Fox 36).
    Is my following logic more or less right assuming I mount 6 millimeters longer shock (216=>222) to my G15:
    1) the head and seat angles become 0,5-1 steeper and bb raises by let's say +5 millimeters.
    2) Two offset bushings would compensate the changes
    3) -2 degrees angle set would approximately compensate the increased bb height (I have one waiting for installation) but would of course steepen seat angle.
    Last edited by TuomasR; 04-01-2019 at 10:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I have stock set up currently, with 160mm fork ,which unfortunately doesn't support longer airspring (Fox 36).
    Is my following logic more or less right assuming I mount 6 millimeters longer shock (216=>222) to my G16:
    1) the head and seat angles become 0,5-1 steeper and bb raises by let's say +5 millimeters.
    3) -2 degrees angle set would approximately compensate the increased bb height (I have one waiting for installation) but would of course steepen seat angle.
    with leverage ratio close to 3:1 at the beginning of the stroke the BB height change would be closer to 15-18mm, 2 offset bushings should bring it down to 5-6mm and head angle at this point should be 0.25-0.5 deg steeper. 2deg Angleset will lower bb by 3-4mm, so it should be pretty close to stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Is my following logic more or less right assuming I mount 6 millimeters longer shock (216=>222) to my G16:
    You should be able to mount the 222 without any change just use the 222 (old low) mount on the shock lever.
    I assume you were using the 216 in that mount hole.
    The front will already be lower/steeper with 160mm fork unless of course it is set up 29 both ends. Which I guess it is based on your expected changes to stock.
    Apologies if I missed this information earlier!

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just to clarify: I have G15 not G16, made a typo in my latest post (earlier I have mentioned G15, now corrected). Sorry for confusion.
    Did you the_pilot and ghostbiker reply assuming G16 or G15?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just to clarify: I have G15 not G16, made a typo in my latest post (earlier I have mentioned G15, now corrected). Sorry for confusion.
    Did you the_pilot and ghostbiker reply assuming G16 or G15?
    I replied based on G16

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    If you long shock it but put it in the low position you pretty much have the same geo as if you had a short shock in the high position.

What do you want to do? Make it lower and slacker or higher less slack.
    If you use the angleset to make it slacker you get a steeper seat tube angle, which I think is good.
    If you use the offset bushing to make it slacker you'll get a slacker seat tube angle, which I think maybe not as good.
    But you might want to use a combo of both.
    EG: Long shocked so you have like a 64.5 hta plus a offset bushing in the steep position, then the angleset in the slack position giving you like a 63 head tube angle and like 78 seat tube angle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thegromit View Post
    If you long shock it but put it in the low position you pretty much have the same geo as if you had a short shock in the high position.

What do you want to do? Make it lower and slacker or higher less slack.
    If you use the angleset to make it slacker you get a steeper seat tube angle, which I think is good.
    If you use the offset bushing to make it slacker you'll get a slacker seat tube angle, which I think maybe not as good.
    But you might want to use a combo of both.
    EG: Long shocked so you have like a 64.5 hta plus a offset bushing in the steep position, then the angleset in the slack position giving you like a 63 head tube angle and like 78 seat tube angle.
    My primary objective is to get more travel for bike park days, without messing up the geo. I also would like to understand the changes made, and to test / play with different geos.
    Slacker hta and steeper sta are intuitively ok, lower bb is not because the bike feels low enough already. In summary more travel, bit slacker and same or bit higher bb height

You guys are super helpful, thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    How are recent experiences regarding 29er front and 27er rear?
    Best case if someone did it on the G16...

At the moment I am on full 27er and think about going 29er front. But this means a new fork.

Or buying a full 29er bike somewhen in future is a better option?

Donít mean the details in angles or heights. Just interested if there is really an improvement for riding when putting a 29er wheel on a 27er bike?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by joey12345 View Post
    How are recent experiences regarding 29er front and 27er rear?
    Best case if someone did it on the G16...

At the moment I am on full 27er and think about going 29er front. But this means a new fork.

Or buying a full 29er bike somewhen in future is a better option?

Donít mean the details in angles or heights. Just interested if there is really an improvement for riding when putting a 29er wheel on a 27er bike?

Cheers
    Iím afraid thatís hard to answer. It depends on what Ďimprovementí means to you!

I have used mine 29 front 27.5 rear G16 for a long time now. I really like the way it reacts to inputs, both steering and overall. I like the way it carves.

But I loved it 27.5. I liked the way the front was so reactive

The upside of going with a 29 fork is you arenít tied. Itís the same a2c as the 180mm fox so you can drop in the 27.5 wheel anytime and use it as a 160mm/155mm bike or even a 175mm/160mm depending on your current shock.

So itís not like you are stuck if you donít like the hybrid.

I think itís very unlikely you wouldnít like it, just make sure you get a 29 fork with an offset between 42mm-46mm

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks for your answer and your thoughts.

Sure this is not an easy answer cause everybody likes different stuff and styles

What kind of setup are you using at the moment?

May itís really as you said and I should be happy with my agile 27,5er and look for some other options somewhen in future.
    A new fork and wheel is not a cheap thing

So do you feel the efficiency of the full the scaled setup is comparable to full 29er or is it very different compared to a full 29er?
    Others:
    Whatís the downside of full 29 compared to scaled?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Demo Day at eastridge was interesting yesterday.

Firstly the Megatower, what an underwhelming bike, CC with carbon wheels, 36 grip 2 fork. Felt like a long legged trail bike than a big travel Enduro bike. Bike was harsh and such that there was far too much feedback through the bars and pedals, couldnít push the bike. It skipped all over the place and had to fight it to keep it on line, or somewhere near!

Now onto the geometrons. Rode a G1 27 first off before the Megatower, first trail had to adjust to how it wanted to corner, after that it just wants you to get off the brakes and throw it in. Rear tyre was dead so tricky to get it slowed down at times. Bike was a bit rattly, needed the clutch sorting on the mech and some 2224 tape on the back end. I hate noisy bikes!

After the underwhelming Megatower, was onto the g1 27. Fresh set of boots on this one! Also went a bit softer on the rear spring and and was on the formula fork (was riding the one in the milner video). Fork took a little getting used to, been on a Lyrik since Christmas, which is more sensitive (g1 27 was on a Lyrik). Felt more comfortable the second time round on the G1, even with a wheel size change. Can really lean on the front, more notable when it gets steep, you can still drive the front end without the fear of going over the bars.

Managed to snag a ride on a g1 27 at the end of the day when Mojo/Santa Cruz were going for a quick run round some of the trails at eastridge. Extra mileage helped to really learn the bike and the way it wanted to be ridden, good to be back on the Lyrik again. Rear tyre wasnít a problem this time as I knew Iíd need to scrub speed a little earlier.
    Rode some tight, steep switchback turns, bike had no issue turning, its super stable, yet still wants to change direction.

When it comes to replacing the enduro at the end of the year, G1 is currently the only one on the list. Last enduro was eating bearings on a regular basis, see how the replacement goes!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

In about 10 days I should have a freshly [Sprung] serviced Fox X2 for sale [222mm from my G16]. PM me if that helps. I also have a 222 Stoy which was serviced just before i bought the G16 so hasnít been used for more that 2 weeks.
    neil

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Iím afraid thatís hard to answer. It depends on what Ďimprovementí means to you!

I have used mine 29 front 27.5 rear G16 for a long time now. I really like the way it reacts to inputs, both steering and overall. I like the way it carves.

But I loved it 27.5. I liked the way the front was so reactive

The upside of going with a 29 fork is you arenít tied. Itís the same a2c as the 180mm fox so you can drop in the 27.5 wheel anytime and use it as a 160mm/155mm bike or even a 175mm/160mm depending on your current shock.

So itís not like you are stuck if you donít like the hybrid.

I think itís very unlikely you wouldnít like it, just make sure you get a 29 fork with an offset between 42mm-46mm

Joey, hybrid is THE way, Its carves so beautifully and rolls over nicely too. You do need to wrk the front and lean the bike a bit more so thatís great if thatís your style.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post
    What is max tire width you can put on g1? I am currently considering between geometron g1 and pole stamina. I really like versatility of g1 and available color choices but stamina has a lot of clearance in the rear, can take up 29x2.8 also has multiple bottle mounts which geometron bikes seems to be missing completely.
    Mebaru,
    have you tried a 2.8 tyre, they are very bouncy and generally with weak carcasses or they's be super heavy, no way would I run a tyre like that on the rear.
    Get a Geometron, its SO much nicer a bike (I've been on G16 since 2015 and am about to get a G1) I might put a 2.5 WT Maxxis on the back, maybe DD but I expect I'll stick with the DD 2.3 Aggressor til it gets sloppy again, then a Shorty

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Question for guys running coil shock on g16, whatīs your weight and what spring rate are you using, also what travel setting?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    16st 500lb for trial riding and 475lb for more gravity EXT Storia V2 lok 175mm and 170mm front

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Was there myself at eastridge for G1 testing, what a great day but thought the trails we rode were pants, nowhere near long enough to do any sort of test justice apart from climbing which was incredible on the 29er!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    thinking of buying one of these - does anyone have a picture of what the XX Longest G1 frame looks like with 29er wheels?
    Last edited by thesimo; 05-12-2019 at 06:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Quick Mojo 2018 G16 question - does a offset need to be built into the rear wheel? Iím build one up now and it looks to be the case...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    bigcrs, no, a standard rear wheel works fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I did the long travel upgrade to my G13 a couple of weeks ago, I posted on the FB page at the time but wanted to get a couple of rides in before posting the details/thoughts here:
    Replaced the 190x51mm Fox DPS with EXT Storia LOK V2 197x57mm giving 145mm rear travel. At the same time I had my Fox 34ís serviced and travel increased to 150mm.
    EXT Storia shock was fitted with a 2mm offset bushing at each eyelet (so 4mm in total) but this would still have raised the BB too much so existing 33mm mutator on chainstay was replaced a 41mm one. This dropped the BB to be in keeping with that of the G1 and had added benefit of slackening head angle from 64.5deg to 63.8deg, and also increasing chainstay length from 453mm.
    Seat angle is slightly less steep at 75.3deg although this is compensated by longer chainstay so climbing ability not affected.

I did 3 laps at BPW as a first shakedown ride, the bike felt really great (other than a couple of pedal strikes!) Ė the handling and balance of bike felt awesome but I felt I wanted to try it on my local trails to really appreciate the difference. Hence I rode my local trails yesterday and Iím still buzzing about the performance of the bike! Uphill the bike is essentially the same (no pedal strikes this time), geometry is good and you donít notice extra weight. Downhill the bike just leaps into life and allows you to go faster whilst still staying composed at the rear, I set PBís on a fast, long, rocky descent and also a more technical chute. I was blown away! Iíve been riding these tracks regularly for years!
    Part of this I guess is the relative poor performance of the DPS shock and part is the geometry tweaks but thereís no doubting the quality and capability of the shock! FoD next weekend I think!

Big thanks to GeoMetron guys who fitted shock and helped get me set up, they also fitted the new cable guide/chainstay kit and some fresh decals

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bathbill View Post
    I did the long travel upgrade to my G13 a couple of weeks ago, I posted on the FB page at the time but wanted to get a couple of rides in before posting the details/thoughts here:
    Replaced the 190x51mm Fox DPS with EXT Storia LOK V2 197x57mm giving 145mm rear travel. At the same time I had my Fox 34ís serviced and travel increased to 150mm.
    EXT Storia shock was fitted with a 2mm offset bushing at each eyelet (so 4mm in total) but this would still have raised the BB too much so existing 33mm mutator on chainstay was replaced a 41mm one. This dropped the BB to be in keeping with that of the G1 and had added benefit of slackening head angle from 64.5deg to 63.8deg, and also increasing chainstay length from 453mm.
    Seat angle is slightly less steep at 75.3deg although this is compensated by longer chainstay so climbing ability not affected.

I did 3 laps at BPW as a first shakedown ride, the bike felt really great (other than a couple of pedal strikes!) Ė the handling and balance of bike felt awesome but I felt I wanted to try it on my local trails to really appreciate the difference. Hence I rode my local trails yesterday and Iím still buzzing about the performance of the bike! Uphill the bike is essentially the same (no pedal strikes this time), geometry is good and you donít notice extra weight. Downhill the bike just leaps into life and allows you to go faster whilst still staying composed at the rear, I set PBís on a fast, long, rocky descent and also a more technical chute. I was blown away! Iíve been riding these tracks regularly for years!
    Part of this I guess is the relative poor performance of the DPS shock and part is the geometry tweaks but thereís no doubting the quality and capability of the shock! FoD next weekend I think!

Big thanks to GeoMetron guys who fitted shock and helped get me set up, they also fitted the new cable guide/chainstay kit and some fresh decals
    I was thinking about the LT option, but I ended up keeping the shorter travel and putting a Storia in. The shock is way more composed than the Fox, I think the bike pedals better as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hey @Standard - do you mean that you put the 197mm EXT Storia in the G13 without making any other adjustments? Doesn't that make the BB too high and head angle steeper?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    @bathbill I've got 190x50 (or as close as they can make it with the bushings). The forks are 150mm 34s with a Works -2 angleset. I don't think I'd want the BB any lower.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Ah ok, makes sense I think, it's a long travel upgrade but keeping same chainstay length?
    BB height is taking a bit of getting used to tbh (as I mention above) but seems to add even more stability, I do still have to old mutators if I feel like changing back.
    I've attached the CAD drawing that Marcel did for me:

One thing I thought about trying later down the line would be switching ET key to High to steepen SA and then fitting angleset (similar to you) to slacken out HA
    Cheers dude
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-will-miller-g13lt-conversion.pdf  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hi Bathbill - I'm running my G13 with either a 190x50 CCIL Air or a 190x57 DHX2 (depending on where I am riding) but am keeping it in the High position for the improved pedal clearance. Not finding any negatives to that yet. Also got the -2 angleset and a 150mm Lyrik fitted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The beauty of the bike is that it's so adaptable to riding style and trails etc
    The way I have it at the moment the chainstay length and BB drop is in keeping with that of the G1 (29er guise), time will tell if I need to adjust this and/or make changes to HA or SA
    Of course problem is when you improve it in one way it highlights shortcomings in others...I think next year I'll invest in stiffer fork, probably Lyrik (although Selva looks nice), and also some more powerful brakes!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hi. I'm running an E13 9-46 cassette on a set of Newmen Evolution A.30 wheels and the chain is rubbing slightly on the rearmost dropout bolt - it protrudes about 1-1.5mm - when in the 9t cog.
    Anyone else have same issue?
    Any suggestions? I'm looking at just filing it down but don't want to knacker the thread.
    Don;t really want to change cassettes as i really like the gear spread on this - having a 30t front ring is great as there are a lot of logs to get over locally.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What bike racks do you use for the G1? I'm planning to get the Longer sized G1 and I'm worried about having issues with the racks.

I'm planning to get the full-on tray rack, as well as the fork-mounted rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I've got Thule Proride racks, and my G16 Longest fits fine on it. Most Thule racks have that same length, both roof and hitch-mounted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaal View Post
    I've got Thule Proride racks, and my G16 Longest fits fine on it. Most Thule racks have that same length, both roof and hitch-mounted.
    Thank you for this!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jonswhite View Post
    Hi. I'm running an E13 9-46 cassette on a set of Newmen Evolution A.30 wheels and the chain is rubbing slightly on the rearmost dropout bolt - it protrudes about 1-1.5mm - when in the 9t cog.
    Anyone else have same issue?
    Any suggestions? I'm looking at just filing it down but don't want to knacker the thread.
    Don;t really want to change cassettes as i really like the gear spread on this - having a 30t front ring is great as there are a lot of logs to get over locally.
    Never come across it. Got any pics? Marcel would be Guy to ask at GeoMetron for official advice.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Got one G1

Yeeha, this beauty arrived. And oh wow, how burly is that downtube. This is a serious bit of kit.

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-geo-1-2.jpg

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-geo-2.jpg

I bought some extra mutators with the frame. I have 3 possible settings. I can run the standard 29er setting, I can run the 29er setting with a longer CS for super fast park work and I can run a mullet set up (29 f/27.5 r).

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-geo-3-1-.jpg

This is such a market leading bike and design, on many levels. Industry leading geo, and now full adjustability with no cost to the geo set up. No other make protects and accurately sustains their geo through such a range of adjustability. These guys are serious about the right geo for the job.

Thank you Geometron for such a great bike. Time to build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hey @WilliamK looks nice
    I'm interested in the different mutators you've got - are these just on the chainstay or also on the lower shock mount?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey Bathbill,

On the website there is a geo sheet and on that it can expand out to show you which mutators you might want for the wheel size or combo you are running.

To answer you more directly, there is a spacer to length or shorten the Seatstay and there is a mutator to do the same for the chain stay. Working these two in conjunction preserves the geo, bb etc.

And yes, there is an extra shock mount, it provides for 2 rear travel settings. So in the big configuration I have a choice of rear travel, 175mm/162mm. Changing shock lengths etc and probably mutators you can run a lower travel setting as well.

Pretty darn adjustable.

Cheers W

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostbiker View Post
    well vivid coil is significantly cheaper yes ( I could get new 216mm one for 270euro in Slovakia), but I donīt know where you are from, if US than ok, DHX2 is cheaper there, but in europe DHX2 with SLS spring is pretty much as expensive as Storia, which is tragicomical all things considered.
    Vivid Coil is a bargain at around 300,- (350,- with spring), considered the Storia including taxes retails for 950,- but it's true a DHX2 with 2 springs would cost almost the same as the Storia!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Never come across it. Got any pics? Marcel would be Guy to ask at GeoMetron for official advice.

Hi the_pilot,
    I had a chat with the guys at Nicolai and the bolts attaching the read dropout are 12mm long. I've sourced a set at 10mm so hopefully will solve the issue. Will post before and after once they arrive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Vivid Coil is a bargain at around 300,- (350,- with spring), considered the Storia including taxes retails for 950,- but it's true a DHX2 with 2 springs would cost almost the same as the Storia!
    well, if itīs bargain depends on how it will suit the frame, I would say in stock setup it wonīt and it will have to be tuned for less HSC at least. Reliability is also less then stellar from what Iīve heard.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hi the_pilot,
    I had a chat with the guys at Nicolai and the bolts attaching the read dropout are 12mm long. I've sourced a set at 10mm so hopefully will solve the issue. Will post before and after once they arrive.
    Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-c0tdwfogq5u7l0kawealmw.jpg
    12mm bolts as standard sticking out 1 - 1.5mm

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-fullsizeoutput_f3f.jpg
    Using 10mm bolts - no excess
    I only changed the top 2 as others were not causing any issues.

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-fullsizeoutput_f3e.jpg
    Not rubbing on chain

Looks all good now. Once my Lyriks are back from being repaired I can get out and make sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Sounds great!

Nicolai puts the Van RC in the new G1 Eboxx too!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    well, if itīs bargain depends on how it will suit the frame, I would say in stock setup it wonīt and it will have to be tuned for less HSC at least. Reliability is also less then stellar from what Iīve heard.
    Flatout Suspension recommended the DHX2 and the Ohlins TTX22.

Maybe the new Super Deluxe Coil will fit too but from what i heard so far the best choice would be the Most expensive one, the EXT...

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Flatout Suspension recommended the DHX2 and the Ohlins TTX22.

Maybe the new Super Deluxe Coil will fit too but from what i heard so far the best choice would be the Most expensive one, the EXT...
    EXT is in a league of itīs own really, out of other shocks I would buy something for good price and tunable shimstack (I got x fusion vector hlr for example, so far so good with few mods)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Hi. Tallguy
    Do remember that Mr Porter, the guy we respect so much and who designed our frames, optimised the linkage for the Fox X2
    I love the Storia on my G1 but in my G16 I really did prefer the x2.
    Neil

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Proride 591 or 598 fits fine with an XL G15.

Upride 599 is perfect too and even more stable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mudfish801 View Post
    Hi. Tallguy
    Do remember that Mr Porter, the guy we respect so much and who designed our frames, optimised the linkage for the Fox X2
    I love the Storia on my G1 but in my G16 I really did prefer the x2.
    Neil
    X2 would be nice too but with the older ones (i think before 2019) i'm too heavy and over the maximum pressure limit with my 100 kg weight.

Think the G15 is optimised for the X2 too, cause i think most bikes were build with it in them! Only a few with Monarch Plus like mine or other shocks (DHX2 for example).

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    EXT is in a league of itīs own really, out of other shocks I would buy something for good price and tunable shimstack (I got x fusion vector hlr for example, so far so good with few mods)
    Considered it's price that's where i think about the Marzocci Bomber CR right now! Especially as the Eboxx got it too it surely is no bad choice and almost half the price of the DHX2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Considered it's price that's where i think about the Marzocci Bomber CR right now! Especially as the Eboxx got it too it surely is no bad choice and almost half the price of the DHX2.
    well, itīs tuners shock, so with some work done to it it whould be pretty good, if you are from US I would get it tuned by AVY for sure.
    Fox Van Rc and Bomber CR Speed sensitive Damper SSD mods

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    well, itīs tuners shock, so with some work done to it it whould be pretty good, if you are from US I would get it tuned by AVY for sure.
    Fox Van Rc and Bomber CR Speed sensitive Damper SSD mods
    No, Germany! Home of Nicolai

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Yeeha, this beauty arrived. And oh wow, how burly is that downtube. This is a serious bit of kit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Geo 1 2.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	1256341

Name:	Geo 2.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	1256347

I bought some extra mutators with the frame. I have 3 possible settings. I can run the standard 29er setting, I can run the 29er setting with a longer CS for super fast park work and I can run a mullet set up (29 f/27.5 r).

Name:	Geo 3 (1).jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	272.9 KB 
ID:	1256353

Thank you Geometron for such a great bike. Time to build.
    My friend, you are going to LOVE it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    W

don't think you need to change mutators to change travel, I have swopped between the 2 shock mount positions and, apart from a couple of clicks of damping adjustment, no other changes were needed.
    I was advised that I might consider using my 25 lb heavier shock spring when in LT setting (as you know you get 2 springs with the STORIA shock) .
    Of course, if you were making the chainstays longer for DH / high speed stability that might, for you, go with the 175 rear rather than 162. But that's a choice rather than a compulsory change.
    What I have found useful is to be able to really easily adjust the BB (and head angle of course) using seatstay mutators (just simple block-like spacers) to idealise BB height - tyre diameters differ SO much that can be very useful.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Hi,
    had a bad crash and a complicated shoulder injury some time ago and not able to ride my G16 that aggressive any more. Not a physician thing as I am much more fit than before the accident, I just don't want to risk another injury. Tight corners and rough steep sessions are very energy-sapping when not being in a very aggressive position all the time. Is there a way to "domesticate" the G16? Would it help to rise the handlebar or use a shorter stem? I just don't wand to sell my bike.
    Would be great if someone could help.
    Regards
    Joe

Gesendet von meinem EML-L29 mit Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Both of those would work, a shorter overall reach will make the requirement to be over it less and of course lifting the front will help in steep sections.

Depending on your set up switching to using a 29 front would also help. Depending on fork will be more or less difficult/expensive.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Hi the_pilot,

thank you for your answer, will try a shorter stem but could you help me to understand why there will be less need of pressure on the front with the shorter reach? Wouldn't cg of my body move a little bit to rear so I would have to lean forwards to be in balance?
    Cheers
    Jie

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JPJonny View Post
    Hi the_pilot,

thank you for your answer, will try a shorter stem but could you help me to understand why there will be less need of pressure on the front with the shorter reach? Wouldn't cg of my body move a little bit to rear so I would have to lean forwards to be in balance?
    Cheers
    Jie

It depends how you approach it. You can either drive Ďdowní or Ďthroughí.
    From a slightly shorter reach (as you have a G16 I am assuming you donít have that much scope to drop the stem, normally a 35mm, I wouldnít recommend below 20mm.) you would be more driving through than down in your natural position.
    It will be less of an issue on steep but perhaps give you the confidence you seek.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Waiting on parts

Long G1, still undecided on the drivetrain.
    waiting on the following
    Wheels:Onyx Hubs/DT Swiss 481 rims/DT Swiss competition spokes
    Syntace Megaforce 3 stem
    Syntace 7075 bars
    Fox Transfer dropper post
    SQ lab 60X saddle
    Oury lock on grips
    Hope E4 F/R brakes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-8f0754e0-20ce-4680-9c22-ead95f4d8496.jpg  

Last edited by gt4130; 08-09-2019 at 09:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    It depends how you approach it. You can either drive Ďdowní or Ďthroughí.
    From a slightly shorter reach (as you have a G16 I am assuming you donít have that much scope to drop the stem, normally a 35mm, I wouldnít recommend below 20mm.) you would be more driving through than down in your natural position.
    It will be less of an issue on steep but perhaps give you the confidence you seek.

Went to a shorter stem and another 5mm Spacer under it, exactly what I was looking for!
    Thank you very much

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Depending on your set up switching to using a 29 front would also help. Depending on fork will be more or less difficult/expensive.
    Hi,
    did ride a hybrid for the first time and was amazed, as you suggested to do that I would really like to give it a try on my G16 (Nicolai version).
    As I do have a normal 27,5" boost Fox 36 I think there is no way to get that fork work with the 29er front wheel? Would order a 160-170mm Fox 36, anything else I have to take care about? What about the ET-Key?
    Do use a 222mm damper in 222 position.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards
    Joe

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

... and if we just ...

Hi

I tried 29 front on my G16 (with a 160 travel Lyric).
    I never looked back, I have the hybrid setup on my G1 now.

I don't think a 27.5 180 36 will work
    the wheel will be VERY tight to the crown if it even fits

Then Lyric 29" 160 works for 2 reasons,
    1:
    it has clearance because it's a 29" fork,
    2:
    the Lyric 29" 160 fork is the same A-C length as the 27.5 180 36 fork,
    so the front of the bike only rises by about 15mm (due to wheel+tyre diameter) and that seems to actually help the 29er wheel to turn in.
    It steered much better than the 650B

IF you get a 29" Fox 36 you should get the e-bike version as the other ones not very stiff. Thatís what Pilot has been using - mind I don't think he actually likes it.

I left my ET key in low, its always been there.
    My shock was 222 but thatís because I had the longer chainstays (my G16 was a 2016 model)

Hope that helps.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by JPJonny View Post
    Hi,
    did ride a hybrid for the first time and was amazed, as you suggested to do that I would really like to give it a try on my G16 (Nicolai version).
    As I do have a normal 27,5" boost Fox 36 I think there is no way to get that fork work with the 29er front wheel? Would order a 160-170mm Fox 36, anything else I have to take care about? What about the ET-Key?
    Do use a 222mm damper in 222 position.

Joe

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Tried the 2.5 DD Maxxis Aggressor on the back, its still on there, I like it. It's a really good tyre, [as recommended by CP, although he likes the 3 2.3 version] seems to roll well and suit the G1 nicely.
    Bit more plush over roots too I think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gt4130 View Post
    Long G1, still undecided on the drivetrain.
    waiting on the following
    Wheels:Onyx Hubs/DT Swiss 481 rims/DT Swiss competition spokes
    Syntace Megaforce 3 stem
    Syntace 7075 bars
    Fox Transfer dropper post
    SQ lab 60X saddle
    Oury lock on grips
    Hope E4 F/R brakes
    I'd suggest
    11 speed SRAM / XT / XTR / DMR mix
    XT mech and XTR shifter (lighter action)
    DMR AXE (all black) crank, strong, good price.
    Absolute Black oval chainring, nice feel, last for ages
    XX1 10-42 cassette and chain, they really last and are light for les unsprung weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'd suggest
    11 speed SRAM / XT / XTR / DMR mix
    XT mech and XTR shifter (lighter action)
    DMR AXE (all black) crank, strong, good price.
    Absolute Black oval chainring, nice feel, last for ages
    XX1 10-42 cassette and chain, they really last and are light for les unsprung weight.
    I went full X01 drivetrain. Was looking to get Saint or White Industries crankset because I wanted alloy, but the Saint chainline is a bit off for boost and the White Industries can not fit a Absolute Black oval chainring(they are great, I run on one my 100mm hardtail). Thanks for the recommendation on the DMR, will look into them and maybe put the the X01 crankset on eBay.
    I've been mainly riding a Chromag Rootdown for the past 2 years with GX drivetrain so went with the X01. Rode my 100mm hardtail this past weekend which has XTR shifters..I think I prefer shimano shifters, but the X01 stuff just came in the mail this week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi

I tried 29 front on my G16 (with a 160 travel Lyric).
    I never looked back, I have the hybrid setup on my G1 now.

I don't think a 27.5 180 36 will work
    the wheel will be VERY tight to the crown if it even fits

Then Lyric 29" 160 works for 2 reasons,
    1:
    it has clearance because it's a 29" fork,
    2:
    the Lyric 29" 160 fork is the same A-C length as the 27.5 180 36 fork,
    so the front of the bike only rises by about 15mm (due to wheel+tyre diameter) and that seems to actually help the 29er wheel to turn in.
    It steered much better than the 650B

IF you get a 29" Fox 36 you should get the e-bike version as the other ones not very stiff. Thatís what Pilot has been using - mind I don't think he actually likes it.

I left my ET key in low, its always been there.
    My shock was 222 but thatís because I had the longer chainstays (my G16 was a 2016 model)

Hope that helps.

neil
    Correct Iím not so keen on how the 29 ebike feels. Not because of stiffness, thatís good, just never been able to deliver the same quality of damping and low friction of my previous 36 and 40 fork.
    I was spoilt by the 40 but couldnít bring myself to use the 29 offsets.
    Iím toying with the idea of returning to 27.5 but I do love the hybrid. Just wanted to check if I have confirmation bias or not

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Will a Nero R with sub 50mm offset ever be released?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    Will a Nero R with sub 50mm offset ever be released?
    Ask Geometron bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That drop crown is still a 50mm offset; drat.
    Really interested by the 3Air spring. Neat that the Selva and Nero share the same lowers. One could run a 15mm dual crown.
    Might have to check the Boxxer instead. Really wanting to get out of supporting ďBig BicycleĒ

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ok so I have just ordered a 2018 g16 frame in longest.

It has 41mm mutators

I was planning to build it up as a 27.5 and use a 216x63 shock, I have an ext storia V3.

Currently have a '18 fox 36 (27.5) with a push acs3 coil kit in it that I would like to use. It has an offset of 44mm. Travel is only 160mm just wondering if it will be ok to use and not mess up the intended geometry? Seems like it will just make the ha a little steeper.

I do have the required parts to extend the fork to 170mm but cannot go to 180.

Next question is I have a nice wheelset (carbon nextie rims laced to industry 9 hubs). The front is boost but the rear is not. I was planning to use a boost adapter for the rear. Does anyone on here have any experience with this? Will my chain line be complete rubbish?

Am I correct in thinking that with the 83mm BB it is better to use non boost cranks? I have to order new cranks so can go either, I just want ones that will work the best for the build. Any sensibly priced recommendations?

Will I need to bother with offset bushings?

Which position should I flip the shock key into with the 216x63 shock?

Is the rear brake mount 180pm? I read that but looking at photos it looks to have holes going the other way as if a is-pm mount.

Seems there is a lot more than usual that goes into setting up this rig and I want to make sure I get I right.

One of the reasons I like this frame is its versatility. I also have a 29" DVO diamond and some 29" boost run Ringle duroc 35 wheels that I will eventually trial on this but really want to build it with the nice 27.5 fork and wheels I have first.

Cheers for the input.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrizzle View Post
    Ok so I have just ordered a 2018 g16 frame in longest.

It has 41mm mutators

I was planning to build it up as a 27.5 and use a 216x63 shock, I have an ext storia V3.

Currently have a '18 fox 36 (27.5) with a push acs3 coil kit in it that I would like to use. It has an offset of 44mm. Travel is only 160mm just wondering if it will be ok to use and not mess up the intended geometry? Seems like it will just make the ha a little steeper.
    It will make something better and something worse as most changes(better is relative, for most people here slacker HA is better but not everyone rides fast trails only, in slow super tight swithbacks it has some drawbacks but it really has to be tight enough to require endo... Steeper seat angle is almost always positive, lower BB height is also double edged sword... If I was you I would go to 170mm if you can though, or you can even add external lower headset cup and be exactly where you would be with 180mm 36. Iīm sure geometron guys will help with this one as only reset makes these I think.

Next question is I have a nice wheelset (carbon nextie rims laced to industry 9 hubs). The front is boost but the rear is not. I was planning to use a boost adapter for the rear. Does anyone on here have any experience with this? Will my chain line be complete rubbish?
    Well designed boost adapter doesnīt change chain line, something like boostinator from wolf tooth should be good but some of those adapters limit your max. rotor size to 180mm.

Am I correct in thinking that with the 83mm BB it is better to use non boost cranks? I have to order new cranks so can go either, I just want ones that will work the best for the build. Any sensibly priced recommendations?
    You can only get non boost 83mm BB cranks, there is no such a thing as boost 83mm BB/cranks, only on some DM chainrings there is different offset option for boost, crankarms are the same, reasonably priced are shimano zee or older descendants, but you could find dmr axe cranks on sale if you are lucky somewhere too. Or check whatīs on buy/sell on pinkbike, there is almost always something interesting...

Will I need to bother with offset bushings? Most likely no if you use 170mm fork and external headset cup unless you want to experiment.

Which position should I flip the shock key into with the 216x63 shock? High

Is the rear brake mount 180pm? I read that but looking at photos it looks to have holes going the other way as if a is-pm mount.rear brake mount is 180mm PM, it uses barell thread inserts in them which might look confusing in the pics, the best system out there, you will see soon in person.

Seems there is a lot more than usual that goes into setting up this rig and I want to make sure I get I right.

One of the reasons I like this frame is its versatility. I also have a 29" DVO diamond and some 29" boost run Ringle duroc 35 wheels that I will eventually trial on this but really want to build it with the nice 27.5 fork and wheels I have first.

Cheers for the input.

there you go

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    there you go
    Thankyou very much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi Bathbill - I'm running my G13 with either a 190x50 CCIL Air or a 190x57 DHX2 (depending on where I am riding) but am keeping it in the High position for the improved pedal clearance. Not finding any negatives to that yet. Also got the -2 angleset and a 150mm Lyrik fitted.
    Where did you get 190x57 DHX2?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It was a custom from Geometron. They were doing them before they started to do EXT Storia shocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I want an 8.5x2.5 coil shock on my G16. Donít want to spend the cash on an EXT. rather go DHX2 as Iím in Canada and can go through LBS.
    Which base tune should I start off with?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    I want an 8.5x2.5 coil shock on my G16. Donít want to spend the cash on an EXT. rather go DHX2 as Iím in Canada and can go through LBS.
    Which base tune should I start off with?
    There is only one tune as far as I know for DHX2 and if I was you I wouldnīt bother really unless itīs really dirt cheap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Paul at geometron really looked after me with a frame so I am going ahead with a build using the parts off my old rig. I sold the frame to fund this one. Coming off an evil insurgent. Just sold the old cranks off my ride and picked up some second hand saint cranks to suit the new frame.

Got a few photos before the frame shipped.

Here are the details of my build.

Longest (large) Geometron / Nicolai G16

Ext storia Lok v3 - 216x63

Hope headset (orange)

Hope seat clamp (orange)

Fox 36 factory with push acs3 coil conversion. 170mm travel. Black spring. Push seals. 44mm offset

Nextie 38 carbon rims laced to industry 9 hubs. 32t. (Boost adapter in the rear)

27.5 X 2.6 DHFand 27.5 X 2.4 DHR

Hope tech v4 brakeset

Hope floating rotors. 203mm front and rear

One up 170mm dropper post

Spank spoon bars 785mm

Raceface atlas stem 50mm (need to swap out to 35mm hope)

Xt 1x11 drivetrain

Saint cranks (170mm)

Hope f20 pedals

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    with leverage ratio close to 3:1 at the beginning of the stroke the BB height change would be closer to 15-18mm, 2 offset bushings should bring it down to 5-6mm and head angle at this point should be 0.25-0.5 deg steeper. 2deg Angleset will lower bb by 3-4mm, so it should be pretty close to stock.
    This project took some time due to several reasons but anyway, in case someone is interested, here are the numbers before and after longshocking G15 from 216x63 to 222x70 (measured with phone app):
    HA from 64 to 64,3
    BB from 343 to 355.
    I would have assumed HA to become more steeper but those are the numbers (measured several times). I have offset bushings which I will test when I switch to stiffer spring.
    Shock came with 400 lbs spring. My weight is (with gear) 85 kg, does anyone have good opinion which spring I should buy? I am trying to decide between 450 and 500.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    This project took some time due to several reasons but anyway, in case someone is interested, here's the numbers before and after longshocking G15 from 216x63 to 222x70 (measured with phone app):
    HA from 64 to 64,3
    BB from 343 to 355.
    I would have assumed HA to become more steeper but those are the numbers (measured several times). I have offset bushings which I will test when I switch to stiffer spring.
    Shock came with 400 lbs spring. My weight is (with gear) 85 kg, does anyone have good opinion which spring I should buy? I am trying to decide between 450 and 500.
    Spring rate depends on your riding style and preferences, if I was you I would try the 400 in the first place to see where it gets you, donīt get too hung up on the sag number either, these frames have pretty good progressive leverage rate even though not as progressive as g16 mojo, so even over 30% sag could work very well. I run 35% sag with 375 lb spring on my g16 and itīs spot on and I weight roughly the same as you, it never bottoms out harshly, shock choice does affect this a little bit though as poppet style shocks donīt create the same amount of mid/high speed damping, at least not without making them harsh, also something to note shock with small shaft like dhx2 will also sag a little more than shock with bigger shaft and same piggyback pressure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Ghostbiker. Shock is DHX RC2, sag is about 25-30%. I have ridden couple of rides with 400 lbs spring and it seems to be too soft for me because it bottoms out too easily in small stuff (not harsly) and pedal bob is noticeable too. There's a separate bottom out adjuster, I need to play with it too, and with LSC.
    Probably you're right that I just need to experiment with different setups/springs to find the right one for me. Coil shock definitely feels great!

BTW: does DVO springs fit to Fox? I think I have read somewhere that they would but can't find such information from anywhere anymore...reason asking is an offer on DVO springs, I could get 2 springs with price of one Fox...

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Thanks Ghostbiker. Shock is DHX RC2, sag is about 25-30%. I have ridden couple of rides with 400 lbs spring and it seems to be too soft for me because it bottoms out too easily in small stuff (not harsly) and pedal bob is noticeable too. There's a separate bottom out adjuster, I need to play with it too, and with LSC.
    Probably you're right that I just need to experiment with different setups/springs to find the right one for me. Coil shock definitely feels great!

BTW: does DVO springs fit to Fox? I think I have read somewhere that they would but can't find such information from anywhere anymore...reason asking is an offer on DVO springs, I could get 2 springs with price of one Fox...
    DVO uses slightly bigger ID (35mm vs 36.5) of the spring but it still would be fine to use with reasonable preload, same with cane creek steel springs as another cheap alternative, if you want lighter option or need 25lb increment nukeproof SLS springs are hard to beat for the price. If you have less than 30% sag (seated sag) then I would deffo try to use bottom out adjustment or increase piggyback pressure, I believe that is also an option on the RC2 but nut 100% sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    DVO uses slightly bigger ID (35mm vs 36.5) of the spring but it still would be fine to use with reasonable preload, same with cane creek steel springs as another cheap alternative, if you want lighter option or need 25lb increment nukeproof SLS springs are hard to beat for the price. If you have less than 30% sag (seated sag) then I would deffo try to use bottom out adjustment or increase piggyback pressure, I believe that is also an option on the RC2 but nut 100% sure.
    After couple of trail rides & visit to bike park, the settings of the shock are closer to what I want. I played with Bottom out adjustment (boost valve) and LSC, the result is no easy bottom outs and pedal bob like I had in air shock. Rear end tracks way better and feels better than air shock in all riding (bike park & trails).
    Next thing I am going to do is to test softer spring, 375 lbs Nukeproof, like Ghostrider recommeded.
    In addition to playing with shock tune, I installed today one offset bushing. Impact to geometry was as assumed: -0,5 HA and -5mm BB.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It seems to me you can only change pressure on rc2, on rc4 you could change pressure and piggyback air chamber volume.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ^Yes, that's true. Less is more this time

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Looking for opinions on Geometrons and 29 fork offsets for a 29 conversion...

I have a G18 custom frame - its basically a G19 in reach with more burly tubes and the suspension linkage from a G16. Its currently running in 216 low mode with a 275 170 37mm offset fork. This gives a HTA of 61.5 degrees and a BB height of 320. 165mm cranks mandatory. STA not quite sure but about 75.5.

It is massively stable at speed but is a bit 'foldy' at less than ~15kph. Anybody that tries a carpark test is horrified

Now converting it over to be 29. Have read that with the bigger wheels the fork offset is a less of an issue. Not sure if to target 42mm offset or just go normal 51mm at 160 travel?

Intended use is a balance of flat, slow climbing and downs rather than just warp speed steep. 222 high mode for 175mm rear and a 180 29 front would be too much bike I think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tunsis View Post
    Looking for opinions on Geometrons and 29 fork offsets for a 29 conversion...

I have a G18 custom frame - its basically a G19 in reach with more burly tubes and the suspension linkage from a G16. Its currently running in 216 low mode with a 275 170 37mm offset fork. This gives a HTA of 61.5 degrees and a BB height of 320. 165mm cranks mandatory. STA not quite sure but about 75.5.

It is massively stable at speed but is a bit 'foldy' at less than ~15kph. Anybody that tries a carpark test is horrified

Now converting it over to be 29. Have read that with the bigger wheels the fork offset is a less of an issue. Not sure if to target 42mm offset or just go normal 51mm at 160 travel?

Intended use is a balance of flat, slow climbing and downs rather than just warp speed steep. 222 high mode for 175mm rear and a 180 29 front would be too much bike I think.
    Iíd go with a hybrid setup unless you already have the 29Ē wheels as 29Ē on both front and rear gives quite a high bb. 42mm offset would better on the fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    OK, so I am going full hybrid/mullet.
    I have a 27.5" Fox 36 fork with a custom Avalanche damper that I absolutely love.
    I am planning on staying on the same platform so that I do not have to buy another Avy damper (they're great, and worth every penny, but not cheap!).
    I see a lot of concern expressed by the Geometron folk (i.e. Chris, among others) regarding the lack of stiffness of a 36, especially with a QR 15x110 axle, with the bushing design, and fore-aft flex also being issues.
    Coming from a 20mm x 110 TA 36 with 2 pinch bolts on each side, I want to be sure I'm not downgrading to a noodle here (but I am making the switch to Boost so I can't use the same chassis, otherwise I would).
    I have heard that the E-bike 36 is stiffer.
    I have also heard that the Marzocchi Z1 is stiffer.
    I saw that OneUp makes an aftermarket axle that's stiffer than stock QR.
    What's the best way to ensure I get a stiff fork that will function well even when under bump, brake and cornering forces?
    For a brief moment I considered an alternate fork (i.e. Intend, or new Ohlins), but I have a hard time believing that they will surpass the custom damper from Avy which I know works perfectly for me already.
    Let me know what you think - stock 36, e-Bike 36, Z1, or another solution?
    FWIW, it will be 29er Boost 15x110, and I weight ~200 lbs. I don't really like the idea of adding an additional 2 lbs of the 49, not to mention that I would need yet another custom damper made for any non-36/Z1 solution (too much money)!
    TIA

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkellison View Post
    OK, so I am going full hybrid/mullet.
    I have a 27.5" Fox 36 fork with a custom Avalanche damper that I absolutely love.
    I am planning on staying on the same platform so that I do not have to buy another Avy damper (they're great, and worth every penny, but not cheap!).
    I see a lot of concern expressed by the Geometron folk (i.e. Chris, among others) regarding the lack of stiffness of a 36, especially with a QR 15x110 axle, with the bushing design, and fore-aft flex also being issues.
    Coming from a 20mm x 110 TA 36 with 2 pinch bolts on each side, I want to be sure I'm not downgrading to a noodle here (but I am making the switch to Boost so I can't use the same chassis, otherwise I would).
    I have heard that the E-bike 36 is stiffer.
    I have also heard that the Marzocchi Z1 is stiffer.
    I saw that OneUp makes an aftermarket axle that's stiffer than stock QR.
    What's the best way to ensure I get a stiff fork that will function well even when under bump, brake and cornering forces?
    For a brief moment I considered an alternate fork (i.e. Intend, or new Ohlins), but I have a hard time believing that they will surpass the custom damper from Avy which I know works perfectly for me already.
    Let me know what you think - stock 36, e-Bike 36, Z1, or another solution?
    FWIW, it will be 29er Boost 15x110, and I weight ~200 lbs. I don't really like the idea of adding an additional 2 lbs of the 49, not to mention that I would need yet another custom damper made for any non-36/Z1 solution (too much money)!
    TIA
    If overall stiffness is what you're after it'd be worth looking at the MORC36 that Mojo Rising are producing..?
    Another alternative option for your shortlist would be Manitou Mezzer as they're supposed to be v stiff, Paul Aston is running a pair I understand
    Sounds like you love your custom damper but if your current forks aren't Boost I'm guessing they're a few years old? it could be that stock dampers (Grip2 etc) have caught up with performance of Avalanche

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Initially, I really liked both of your ideas.
    I really like the Manitouís stiffer axle design, stiffer crown, and augmented stanchion/bushing interface. Upon further reading, I am worried about the Mezzer damper, and the ability to improve its performance. It doesnít look like anyone is making an aftermarket oil bath shim stack damper for it like I would want. I am reasonably confident it would be a step down In performance from the Avy damper.
    To your point about ďmaybe dampers have improved,Ē I donít think so. I have ridden a lot of forks, though admittedly have not ridden the new Grip2 damper. But with how many different damper upgrades I have seen over the years that were supposed to be ďamazing,ď at some point, you begin to see through the marketing haze. Dampers do genuinely continue to improve, but I think itís hard to beat a custom shim stack damper from a suspension expert.
    I have a hard time justifying the MORC design in consideration of the total cost (~$1000 + 800+) and the fact that the 38 is just around the corner. Iím thinking that the Z1 with stiffer crown, stanchions and an upgraded OneUp axle might be the ticket... for now, at least!
    Appreciate any contrary thoughts...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Anyone running a bottle cage Mount inside the frame triangle?!
    Yes I fitted a bracket I manufactured from an aluminium strip. I formed a dog's leg bend to have the cage sitting in parallel with the shock (I turned the shock 180deg)
    I drilled the bracket to accommodate a Specialized Zee cage (& a EDC pump) and I fixed to the frame via the cable clip bosses.
    I didn't take to long and has been faultless since February
    Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-img_0821.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey do you need a shock, I have a like new (new body just serviced) Fox X2 from My Geometron Ga6 which I sold without the shock.
    neil
    pm me please

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Cant you use your existing lowers on the MORC? save a lot that way and keep 20mm bolt thru - but of course you give up on 29 front (which I really like.
    I have the Lyric 160/29 and I think stiffness is good but I do lust after the MORC

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Anyone here got a successful (decent size) bottle set up on a G1? Mines XLongest so I suppose itís the roomy version but I've not worked anything out yet
    neil

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hey all

Without going through the entire thread (which I have previously), could I get some advice on striking the geometry balance I am looking for with my G16.

It is currently a 29/29 G16 with 160mm RS Lyrik up front and the 155mm up back. I am trying to get it to a much lower bb whilst maintaining the headset angle as much as possible (much prefer stock than 61 degrees).

If I put the 155mm shock in the lowest position and then add an offset bushing, I would probably get to about 60.5 degrees I estimate. If I then do a 2 degree angleset in the reverse position to take it back to 62.5 degrees, how much lower will the bike actually run?

Alternatively, if it is very difficult to achieve this with a 29/29 setup, what would be the best way to drop the bb on a 29/27.5 to around 340 or so whilst preserving the head angle?

Finally, out of curiosity, how the hell did CP get to 325mm with 29er wheels????

Thanks all so much!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Hello all! 👍
    New too mtbr and to this thread !
    Interested in finding out more on the nicolai geomotron bikes firstly would like to know are they a game changer regarding mtbiking in terms of geo and riding characteristics? Seriously considering pulling the trigger on buying one but want to know more as i have spent a small fortune on mtb over the past couple of years and changed geo as far as i can go on my current ride but still feel as if it's still not the complete package i intended (gt sanction large) 180 fox 36 fork fox x2 2degree works components angle h/st 2 offset bushings

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Sectioned View Post
    Hello all! 👍
    New too mtbr and to this thread !
    Interested in finding out more on the nicolai geomotron bikes firstly would like to know are they a game changer regarding mtbiking in terms of geo and riding characteristics? Seriously considering pulling the trigger on buying one but want to know more as i have spent a small fortune on mtb over the past couple of years and changed geo as far as i can go on my current ride but still feel as if it's still not the complete package i intended (gt sanction large) 180 fox 36 fork fox x2 2degree works components angle h/st 2 offset bushings
    You should read the whole thread...But to put is simply, yes, they are game changing and you would have damn hard time finding bike with same level of attention to geometry, kinematics, build quality or customer support.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I'm posting my bike for sale, I'm getting shoulder surgery and will be out of work for a bit.
    My bike is a G15 but with a custom long shock, if you want more info please hit the link, its a great build and at a reasonable price for what you're getting.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2677317/

For sale: Nicolai G15 custom build. Mechanic owned.
    What we have here is a size Small Nicolai G15 (Reach 460MM). All pivot bearings replaced at the end of this summer. Iíve taken a Fox VanRC with a longer Stroke than stock to give the rear travel around 161-165MM of rear travel. I had the shock tuned by Avalanche Racing. They do some of the best work in the business and I haven't had a better feeling rear shock than this one, I weigh about 160LBS and have 2 springs I can include with the sale. Ones a titanium 350# and ones a SAR light spring thats 325#. I traded my friend for his gold dial to match the fork. Check link below for more info on tune. The fork is a Marzocchi Z1at 170MM, I also installed a DSD Runt and this turned this fork into the best running fork Iíve ever used. Check link below for more info on the runt. The wheelset is custom built all DT Swiss parts, 240 Hubs front and rear with the upgraded 54T star ratchet for fast engagement, laced to XM481 rims 30MM internal width and Comp spokes. Pretty standard drivetrain RaceFace turbine cranks 170MM length with a 34T chainring, X01 Cassette and Shifter with a little mod to the lever for more texture and a X1 chain that only a few rides old. Renthal Bars 31.8 30MM rise put on mid summer with a 50MM Renthal Apex stem. Fresh One up grips only 2 rides. Oneup post 170MM in length with a WolfTooth light action lever. Shimano Saints with a fresh bleed and Finned pads that only have one ride on them. I run Magura rotors which our thicker than normal rotors, I feel like it gives the brakes a better lever feel and donít warp or heat up as easy. 203 in the front and 180 in the rear. Fresh Schwalbe Eddy Currents Fronts 2.4 ran both Front and Rear of the bike, its a newer ďE-bikeĒ tire but I think youíll start seeing a lot of people running this, the casing is one of the best Iíve felt. Steerer is Cut and threaded for a Oneup tool, but tool not included. I have about 15MM of stack under the stem and about another 12MM above stem. Iíve made a chainstay slapper that is a bit utilitarian but can be removed. Recent cable and housing done also. RockGuardz Carbon frame protector.

The bad:
    There is a long scratch on the back of my stantion (air side) something got stuck under the seal. Its running with the leg so I believe performance is not hindered as much as if it were going the other way. Honestly, I still think this fork feels better than any fork Iíve owned easily.
    The fork has also been painted see picture below.
    Seat post is starting to slow down a bit. I have a Fox Transfer (Black Stanchion) 150MM I can trade out that is running perfect.

This is a tuners bike, If you want a bike that is set up to go ride the most tech trails anywhere in the world this is it. If you can tell theres a reasonable amount of new parts because I wasn't planning on selling this bike but, Iím selling it because Iím getting surgery with about a 4-6 month recovery time and will be out of work for sometime. It's a snowboarding injury NO BAD JUJU with the bike. If you look at my past ads you can see that I've had a few high end bikes, this isn't my first Nicolai, I really do love these bikes I hope to get another someday.

Please feel free to reach out and ask any questions thanks.

Buyer pays shipping, we can use Paypal, $3800 OBO.

Links to suspension tuners and frame at bottom.

Frame - Nicolai G15 Long Shocked All bearings replaced at the end of the summer
    Rear Shock - FOX VAN RC Avalanche tuned 222x70 SAR Spring 325# and a RCS Ti spring 350#
    Fork - Marzocchi Z1 170MM DSD RUNT
    Headset - HOPE
    Handlebar - Rental Fatbar 31.8 30mm rise
    Stem - Rental Apex 50mm
    Brakes - Shimano Saint 203F/180R Magura Rotors ( New finned pads and rear rotor 1 ride)
    Shifter - Sram X01 Textured paddle
    Grips - Oneup Single Clamp (one ride)
    Rear Derailleur - Sram GX
    Chain guide - Oneup BashGuide
    Cranks - Race Face Turbine 34T
    Seat Post - Oneup V1 170MM with WolfTooth Light Action Lever
    Front Rim - DT Swiss XM481 30MM internal width
    Rear Rim - DT Swiss XM481 30MM internal width
    Hubs -DT Swiss 240s 54T Star ratchet upgrade Front and Rear bearings done this summer
    Spokes - DT Swiss Competition spokes
    Front Tire - Schwalbe Eddy Current F 2.4 (3 rides)
    Rear Tire - Schwalbe Eddy Current F 2.4 (3 rides)
    Saddle - Fabric Line
    Seat post Clamp - Hope

https://diazsuspensiondesign.com/runt

Fox Van Rc and Bomber CR Speed sensitive Damper SSD mods (If you click on the picture of the setup chart, its from my shock)

https://geometronbikes.co.uk/bikes/g15/

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spanishflyaberdeen View Post
    Yes I fitted a bracket I manufactured from an aluminium strip. I formed a dog's leg bend to have the cage sitting in parallel with the shock (I turned the shock 180deg)
    I drilled the bracket to accommodate a Specialized Zee cage (& a EDC pump) and I fixed to the frame via the cable clip bosses.
    I didn't take to long and has been faultless since February

Name:	IMG_0821.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	1290563
    what size bottle do you get in there please? got a wider picture maybe?
    and what's the G1 frame size?
    thx

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456