Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    Iím on 165ís.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At 6'6" i better stay with 175mm's!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tallguy3001 View Post
    At 6'6" i better stay with 175mm's!
    Dropping to 165ís or 170 wouldnít be an issue unless you are compromised by seat height.

Having said that unless you have a problem with strikes thereís no need to change.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    You can fly to Milan and get a train to Finale.
    When we went last time with 3 friends we hired a van from Malpensa.

@the_pilot

Did you use a particular company for uplifts? looks like there's plenty of options but any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Setup Questions

@the_pilot
    1) Running a Geometron 180mm, 36, 37 Rake with the rear at 155mm rear. Would you recommend bushing or HA adjustment?

2) If I go to a 180 (Fox 40) 29er / 175mm rear. What mods need to be made? -1deg headset and shock bushing adjustment?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bathbill View Post
    @the_pilot

Did you use a particular company for uplifts? looks like there's plenty of options but any recommendations?
    Weíve always used Finale Freeride but I have got the details of another guy who does ad hoc pickups. Iíll dig them out.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai22 View Post
    @the_pilot
    1) Running a Geometron 180mm, 36, 37 Rake with the rear at 155mm rear. Would you recommend bushing or HA adjustment?

If 2017 (so if it has the cable clamps on the side of headtube) no changes necessary if 27.5 wheels.

2) If I go to a 180 (Fox 40) 29er / 175mm rear. What mods need to be made? -1deg headset and shock bushing adjustment?
    If you mean the fox 49 (if they have released it) I wouldnít recommend it. They have a 60mm offset I believe which is far too much, add that and the 29 wheel at 180mm to std 62 HA and the steering is simply too fast imo, it will be around 60HA.
    If you did do it youíd need two offsets to get the Bb low enough and maybe even not manage it.

If you fit the 27.5 40 (51 offset) and use a 29 front wheel (27.5 rear) on a current model itís the same.
    I wouldnít recommend either of the 40 options at 180mm.
    160mm on the 27.5 version works alright with one offset bush to set the BB right but it does steer a bit fast at slow speed. You get used to it though.

The 49 again would work with a single bush at 160mm but steer even fast at slow speed.

So if you go 40/29. 170mm max to stay in the bounds of not messing everything up, 160mm fine but not ideal due to offset.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If you mean the fox 49 (if they have released it) I wouldnít recommend it. They have a 60mm offset I believe which is far too much, add that and the 29 wheel at 180mm to std 62 HA and the steering is simply too fast imo, it will be around 60HA.
    If you did do it youíd need two offsets to get the Bb low enough and maybe even not manage it.

If you fit the 27.5 40 (51 offset) and use a 29 front wheel (27.5 rear) on a current model itís the same.
    I wouldnít recommend either of the 40 options at 180mm.
    160mm on the 27.5 version works alright with one offset bush to set the BB right but it does steer a bit fast at slow speed. You get used to it though.

The 49 again would work with a single bush at 160mm but steer even fast at slow speed.

So if you go 40/29. 170mm max to stay in the bounds of not messing everything up, 160mm fine but not ideal due to offset.

Thanks @the_pilot! It sounds like a single crown 180mm is the best option at 37mm rake. Wish there was a 175mm rear / 180-203mm build option that was possible for park use. Look forward to any additional input or details related to the above for any wheelsize.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    @the_pilot, interesting to hear you're preferring the 36s over the 40s.

I had a spin on Chris's XXL the other day, set up as a hybrid, and I really liked it. I had originally meant to try the G16 29 but since his bike was set up that way I decided to go with his preference.

For a "long travel" option, you would go hybrid with 180mm short offset 36s and 177mm out back?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard View Post

I had a spin on Chris's XXL the other day, set up as a hybrid, and I really liked it. I had originally meant to try the G16 29 but since his bike was set up that way I decided to go with his preference.

For a "long travel" option, you would go hybrid with 180mm short offset 36s and 177mm out back?
    I like the 40ís with 27.5 set at 180mm (my mistake in earlier post - I meant to say. 40ís with 27.5 front and 180mm ok OR 160mm and 29 front wheel ok. But still a lot of offset, steering better with the 29 front wheel on there at that offset as youíd expect.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai22 View Post
    Thanks @the_pilot! It sounds like a single crown 180mm is the best option at 37mm rake. Wish there was a 175mm rear / 180-203mm build option that was possible for park use. Look forward to any additional input or details related to the above for any wheelsize.
    I assume you mean as a 29? Thatís the difficulty....currently...

There is that option as a 27.5, whoch works fine with the 40ís at 180mm, fine at 200mm with a bit more sag.

Also with a 29 front (tho clearance is tight) and 40ís at 160mm is fine with a 27.5 rear and only needs a single offset bush.

Iím pretty sure thatís what I said.

I think I might need to create a spreadsheet with options/setup.

Iíve discussed this with Chris and weíd like to do something on the website that is dynamic to show what you can do, and the effect, whatís recommended and whatís not... takes time tho and the bikes are still evolving of course.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

I should also say Iím using the ebike 36ís. So heavier and stiffer but at 160mm. Could go to 170mm.

You can set the std 36s to 180mm 29 but pushing it I think in terms of stiffness at that.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I should also say Iím using the ebike 36ís. So heavier and stiffer but at 160mm. Could go to 170mm.

You can set the std 36s to 180mm 29 but pushing it I think in terms of stiffness at that.

There is something about the 29 front that smooths out the steering, I was sceptical about it but there is definitely a feeling of the best of both sizes about the hybrid.

mtbr member
    So is Geometron releasing an actual G15 or is this just the Nicolai verision? I saw they posted the G15 frame on IG a week or so ago.

G15 Geometry
    2013 Kona Process
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by formu1fan View Post
    So is Geometron releasing an actual G15 or is this just the Nicolai verision? I saw they posted the G15 frame on IG a week or so ago.

G15 Geometry
    There is no Mojo version of the G15.
    The G15 is a Nicolai Longer travel version of the G13, also not a Mojo design. Both models were inspired by GeoMetron (as is the whole range; Geolution) but they still nod towards the more conservative market in some key parameters, mainly HA and SA.

For 29 Mojo run the G16 with 160/155.

It is easy with a -2 Angleset to make the 15 equivalent to key Mojo angles as it is with the 13.

In the future My opinion is we will see convergence of the model geometry around the current Mojo angles now that the market is more accepting of them and many more people have ridden them and realised itís not crazy!

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    There is no Mojo version of the G15.
    The G15 is a Nicolai Longer travel version of the G13, also not a Mojo design. Both models were inspired by GeoMetron (as is the whole range; Geolution) but they still nod towards the more conservative market in some key parameters, mainly HA and SA.

For 29 Mojo run the G16 with 160/155.

It is easy with a -2 Angleset to make the 15 equivalent to key Mojo angles as it is with the 13.

In the future My opinion is we will see convergence of the model geometry around the current Mojo angles now that the market is more accepting of them and many more people have ridden them and realised itís not crazy!

Thats what I thought. I was surprised to see the G15 added to Geometron's website a few days ago.

I am really keen in a 29 mojo but I don't know if I will need 155mm for the trails where I currently live, but I probably will if I move. I should just bite the bullet and go full Mojo 29, probably won't have any regrets with it.
    2013 Kona Process
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thats what I thought. I was surprised to see the G15 added to Geometron's website a few days ago.

I am really keen in a 29 mojo but I don't know if I will need 155mm for the trails where I currently live, but I probably will if I move. I should just bite the bullet and go full Mojo 29, probably won't have any regrets with it.
    GeoMetron work closely with Nicolai and distribute them too, there is no bias.
    Thing with the G16 is you have options.
    They will also set up your 155mm to feel however you want. If you want it lively and to feel like a shorter travel bike, just ask assuming they are supplying the suspension.
    They will be only too happy to help.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Except for Pilot does anyone else run their Geometron as hybrid? Is it possible to post more photos or feedback?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-img_20170722_191202004-copy.jpg
    Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-img_20170722_191221915-copy.jpg

I've posted a few other photos and impressions of this bike earlier in the thread. Having had it for a year or so, I'd say it performs pretty much as Pilot said it would, it corners really well and is awesome fun going downhill.

It's a 2016 frame so I don't have the option to run it as a full 29er, but I haven't really wanted to try that beyond being curious about how it would be. On the other hand it's so different to any other bike with any wheel size that I've tried that it's hard to pick what part of its performance is due to the mixed wheel sizes and what is due to the rest of the geometry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by morphosity View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170722_191202004 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	1182468

Name:	IMG_20170722_191221915 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	1182469

I've posted a few other photos and impressions of this bike earlier in the thread. Having had it for a year or so, I'd say it performs pretty much as Pilot said it would, it corners really well and is awesome fun going downhill.

It's a 2016 frame so I don't have the option to run it as a full 29er, but I haven't really wanted to try that beyond being curious about how it would be. On the other hand it's so different to any other bike with any wheel size that I've tried that it's hard to pick what part of its performance is due to the mixed wheel sizes and what is due to the rest of the geometry.
    The 2016 is so suited to hybrid. Glad youíre still enjoying it.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I know there are a few around the U.K. now and in EU too. MojoR are going to try and get a community set up for pics and experiences of owners so hopefully more will come out the woods.

I know the Instagram feed has had a few more.

Obviously Chris Porter also runs hybrid most of the time.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Excellent! Thank you. I tried to find some photos of Chris hybrid but couldn't find any. What is the expected head angle change with the 29 - 27.5 setup?

So what would you say is the best option for the Geometron? Full 27.5, full 29, hybrid 29 - 27.5 or full 27.5+ ?

Also has anyone tried the Pole 140? I am torn between these two bikes and since I can't demo either I am trying to gather as much feedback as I can.
    Last edited by gpgalanis; 02-11-2018 at 10:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    They are wary similar I tested POLE evolink 140 in 27+ setup but I am newer tested full suspension Geometron.
    Compared to my GLF its fills wary close I noticed only difference on downhills maybe because HT vs FS

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The 2016 is so suited to hybrid. Glad youíre still enjoying it.

Also thanks for the time you spend on this and the thread on STW, it is always interesting seeing what works well with these bikes!

I'm certainly very happy with mine, I honestly can't think of anything major that I'd change in terms of the basic design. It's easily my favourite full suspension bike so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    Excellent! Thank you. I tried to find some photos of Chris hybrid but couldn't find any. What is the expected head angle change with the 29 - 27.5 setup?

So what would you say is the best option for the Geometron? Full 27.5, full 29, hybrid 29 - 27.5 or full 27.5+ ?

Also has anyone tried the Pole 140? I am torn between these two bikes and since I can't demo either I am trying to gather as much feedback as I can.
    Suspension curves are very different, geometry also different but less so.

http://linkagedesign.blogspot.co.uk/...-2016.html?m=1

http://linkagedesign.blogspot.co.uk/...-2016.html?m=1

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Hi! Iím after some help regarding a G16. Considering getting one which Iíd like to run as a full 29er (most of the bits will swap over from my current bike) Mainly wondering if it would be ok with a 51 offset DVO Diamond at 160mm? Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wil81 View Post
    Hi! Iím after some help regarding a G16. Considering getting one which Iíd like to run as a full 29er (most of the bits will swap over from my current bike) Mainly wondering if it would be ok with a 51 offset DVO Diamond at 160mm? Thanks in advance
    It would be good. Better as a full 29er if using a 51mm offset fork.
    Best with the 216x63 shock with the chip set in the 222 position.

Offset is all preference, much like geometry. There isnít a right or wrong within reason.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    It would be good. Better as a full 29er if using a 51mm offset fork.
    Best with the 216x63 shock with the chip set in the 222 position.

Offset is all preference, much like geometry. There isnít a right or wrong within reason.

Thanks for the reply! I read a bit further back that Mojo were selling off the demo bikes. Do you happen to know if there's still anything left?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the reply! I read a bit further back that Mojo were selling off the demo bikes. Do you happen to know if there's still anything left?

I donít know if there are. I usually give Paul a call.

Do you know what size youíre after?

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I donít know if there are. I usually give Paul a call.

Do you know what size youíre after?

Either long or longer (I'm 5'8")

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Either long or longer (I'm 5'8")

Longer!

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Longer!

Haha thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Haha thanks!

All the ex demos have gone except in G13.
    Plenty of new G16 available in stock.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    All the ex demos have gone except in G13.
    Plenty of new G16 available in stock.

Cheers! I'm off on holiday in a fortnight so i'll get onto it after that. Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    GeoMetron work closely with Nicolai and distribute them too, there is no bias.
    Thing with the G16 is you have options.
    They will also set up your 155mm to feel however you want. If you want it lively and to feel like a shorter travel bike, just ask assuming they are supplying the suspension.
    They will be only too happy to help.

In see the G16/Mojo frame is listed on the GeoMetron website as being 27.5/29/hybrid but doesn't seem to show the different geometry of the respective options

I get the fact that the G16/Mojo bike is designed by Mojo and in that regard is (even) more progressive and that G13, G15, G19 are Nicolai evolutions of the same design principles. It's a great credit to the G16/Mojo that it is so versatile but confusing to the customer that the G16/Mojo can run 29" wheels at 155m rear travel and also have the G15 (29" wheels, 148mm rear) effectively competing with it. I know there are geometry differences as well as BB size etc between the 2 bikes but hopefully we'll get to the point where the product range can be simplified as riders/industry is more accepting of progressive design

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Also - while I'm on - one of the key benefits on running 29" wheels is the increased BB-to-axle measurement which on the G13 & G15 looks to be -30mm (lowest setting) which gives great stability etc
    Is the G16/Mojo compromised in this regard when running 29er? Geo chart BB-to-axle is only -17mm..?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    In see the G16/Mojo frame is listed on the GeoMetron website as being 27.5/29/hybrid but doesn't seem to show the different geometry of the respective options

I get the fact that the G16/Mojo bike is designed by Mojo and in that regard is (even) more progressive and that G13, G15, G19 are Nicolai evolutions of the same design principles. It's a great credit to the G16/Mojo that it is so versatile but confusing to the customer that the G16/Mojo can run 29" wheels at 155m rear travel and also have the G15 (29" wheels, 148mm rear) effectively competing with it. I know there are geometry differences as well as BB size etc between the 2 bikes but hopefully we'll get to the point where the product range can be simplified as riders/industry is more accepting of progressive design
    The product range will be much simplified in the future I think.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Also - while I'm on - one of the key benefits on running 29" wheels is the increased BB-to-axle measurement which on the G13 & G15 looks to be -30mm (lowest setting) which gives great stability etc
    Is the G16/Mojo compromised in this regard when running 29er? Geo chart BB-to-axle is only -17mm..?
    Debatable benefit...I wonít go into the wider effects of that here; in Relation to rotational inertia, side to side direction changes etc and if you need more stability with a 1300mm + wheelbase and 62 HA...itís all about balance..

I prefer my B.B. drop to be similar to the 27.5 otherwise I donít feel I get the weight transfer for braking grip and I have to steer the back round.
    I wasnít keen when the B.B. set to the same (ie a bigger B.B. drop on the 29)

Because there are a lot of variances itís generally better to discuss customer requirements and test too as there are multiple elements that can be changed to give different geo e.g fork and a2c, shock length, chip position, use of bushes and tyre size.

Last edited by the_pilot; 02-13-2018 at 07:54 AM.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    ok thanks @the_pilot insightful as ever

re product range - my reading of it is that the G16/Mojo is the test bed for the Geolution concept and at the moment there is a small disconnect between the cutting edge work MojoR are doing and what Nicolai are willing to put into production, particularly given German customer base

Re G16/Mojo 29er - I suppose what I'm getting at is just because the G16 can physically accommodate 29" wheels it is primarily designed as a 27.5er, therefore is it compromised when up against a dedicated 29er like the G15? debateable given there seem to be only a few G15's about anyway but just about every bike brand now has a long travel 29er option in their range

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ok thanks @the_pilot insightful as ever

re product range - my reading of it is that the G16/Mojo is the test bed for the Geolution concept and at the moment there is a small disconnect between the cutting edge work MojoR are doing and what Nicolai are willing to put into production, particularly given German customer base

Re G16/Mojo 29er - I suppose what I'm getting at is just because the G16 can physically accommodate 29" wheels it is primarily designed as a 27.5er, therefore is it compromised when up against a dedicated 29er like the G15? debateable given there seem to be only a few G15's about anyway but just about every bike brand now has a long travel 29er option in their range
    Kind of true.

In reality the compromise made with a 29 G16 from Mojo moves it closer to the cutting edge of other long travel 29ers or the Nicolai versions.

So when adapted to 29 at 155mm the Mojo G16 has a slightly slacker SA than we would prefer at 76 but that is still steeper than almost any competition and more than compensated for by the adjustable chainstay if the rider is so tall that it changes the weight distribution.
    Similarly the B.B. height is lifted but only to the same position as competitors B.B. (and actually as mentioned my preferred height for a 29 at that travel with our dynamic ride height, Chris preferres it lower and lowers it accordingly with an additional shock bush and moves his saddle to compensate for the seat angle change)
    The HA remains at 62

So in reality it isnít compromised compared to the competition but isnít quite where we want it to be.
    That will be addressed.

The G13 and G15 have slacker SA than the G16 to begin with, steeper HA and lower B.B.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    All very interesting stuff

I have no complaints at all about my G13 but once I'm feeling more familiar/confident with it I'm thinking the -2anglseset might be worth a go

Interesting that CP uses offset bush on G16 29er to alter BB, I think Production Privee offer replacement rear dropouts so you can run different wheel sizes without affecting geo - maybe something for MojoR to consider...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

I have no complaints at all about my G13 but once I'm feeling more familiar/confident with it I'm thinking the -2anglseset might be worth a go

Interesting that CP uses offset bush on G16 29er to alter BB, I think Production Privee offer replacement rear dropouts so you can run different wheel sizes without affecting geo - maybe something for MojoR to consider...
    Agreed.

The G13 rides really well. Me I do prefer it with the -2 as Iíve said. Iíd do the same to a G15 if I ran one.

It would be nice to be able to represent on the website these changes dynamically. It is something Iíve talked to chris about.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I did try Paul's G16 with an angleset on when I first did the car park test but I was put off as front wheel was diving under me at slow speed (accepting that G16 has slacker HA than G13), as a result never tried on the trail...my loss I guess...

Website most definitely has room for improvement but I daresay Chris & Paul concentrating on getting business up and running again after divorce from Fox, I suppose the related question is who is responsible for promoting this info - MojoR or Nicolai? Not wishing to be critical but at the moment neither website seems to be the finished article

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I don't think you can say that one is compromised against the other. If anything, if you do the full demo and discussion you will be more likely to get the best result with a G16. The most recent Mojo G16 frames are designed to be an adjustable/flexible layout so they can be tweaked to your preference. It is definitely confusing because Nicolai are doing off-the-peg G15s and 13s and Mojo are also customising them in certain ways for different people.

If you are interested in a 29er you should definitely try the hybrid. I was pretty sure I was going to go 29er this time and one good spin on the hybrid completely changed my mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

I didn't realise you already have the G13, I went -2 on mine and really like it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I did try Paul's G16 with an angleset on when I first did the car park test but I was put off as front wheel was diving under me at slow speed (accepting that G16 has slacker HA than G13), as a result never tried on the trail...my loss I guess...

Website most definitely has room for improvement but I daresay Chris & Paul concentrating on getting business up and running again after divorce from Fox, I suppose the related question is who is responsible for promoting this info - MojoR or Nicolai? Not wishing to be critical but at the moment neither website seems to be the finished article
    They all have that "diving" feel at first, then you get used to it. The main reason I put the angleset in the G13 was to get is turning in more like the G16.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    They all have that "diving" feel at first, then you get used to it. The main reason I put the angleset in the G13 was to get is turning in more like the G16.
    They do at very low speed and HA. Itís reduced markedly when using a reduced offset fork and when using the 29 wheel. Sometimes you need to ask whatís in the bike.
    But even with 51mm offset you get very used to it.
    Itís part of what keeps the bike responsive as well as stable. Coupled with other aspects that mean the same characteristic doesnít mean it wanders when climbing.

Optimum compromise on offset is 40-44mm I think balancing turn in, reduced flop, responsiveness with a HA of around 62deg.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    They do at very low speed and HA. Itís reduced markedly when using a reduced offset fork and when using the 29 wheel. Sometimes you need to ask whatís in the bike.
    Itís part of what keeps the bike responsive as well as stable. Coupled with other aspects that mean the same characteristic doesnít mean it wanders when climbing.

Optimum compromise on offset is 40-44mm I think balancing turn in, reduced flop, responsiveness with a HA of around 62deg.

This is probably what I was feeling with the steering on the hybrid then. I was thinking it was very easy/smooth turning on the normal tracks, then I found a series of tight ruts somebody had ridden in. It was definitely easier for me to place the hybrid through them than it would've been on the 27.5 or the full 29.

Are you riding the hybrid at the minute or the 29er?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This is probably what I was feeling with the steering on the hybrid then. I was thinking it was very easy/smooth turning on the normal tracks, then I found a series of tight ruts somebody had ridden in. It was definitely easier for me to place the hybrid through them than it would've been on the 27.5 or the full 29.

Are you riding the hybrid at the minute or the 29er?
    Hybrid. I usually ride the hybrid unless itís a longer pedally ride when 29er sometimes feels like itís easier.

I prefer the handling of the hybrid.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I don't think you can say that one is compromised against the other. If anything, if you do the full demo and discussion you will be more likely to get the best result with a G16. The most recent Mojo G16 frames are designed to be an adjustable/flexible layout so they can be tweaked to your preference. It is definitely confusing because Nicolai are doing off-the-peg G15s and 13s and Mojo are also customising them in certain ways for different people.

If you are interested in a 29er you should definitely try the hybrid. I was pretty sure I was going to go 29er this time and one good spin on the hybrid completely changed my mind.
    Yep I did the full demo but was more a case of dialling in the G13, mine is pretty much standard other than tweaking suspension to my liking. I should say again that I love it so not a case of making up for any shortcomings but seeing what else itís capable of

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Would a replacement fork crown with a 44mm offset be a worthwhile upgrade for my Fox 34s on G13? Maybe coupled with -2 angleset?
    Will MojoR supply them? How much?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hybrid. I usually ride the hybrid unless itís a longer pedally ride when 29er sometimes feels like itís easier.

I prefer the handling of the hybrid.

The only big downside for the Hybrid are the different spare sparts/tyres etc. for front and rear wheel!

In case of handling you are damn right however!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    It's an interesting review!
    It also highlights that even the shorter travel bikes nowadays are so capable that they need bigger and better rear shocks in order to handle the pace and terrain that the bikes are used in. Had a similar experience on my SC Hightower, with the original shock it packed up and overheated in no time on the rougher descents. Switched to a DVO Topaz and the bike was a different beast!
    Is that what you guys with G13's have experienced as well? And what shocks are you running?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    No experience of shock issues on my G13 at all. I scanned the review and looks like they were riding some big mountain stuff (Alps?), I've only taken my G13 to FoD and BPW so far but I've been nothing but impressed with shock performance

I don't know if the Mojo tune might make the difference but I presume even stock bikes from Nicolai have Mojo settings..?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    True, the terrain is a big factor. And on the local rides that start from my house, they all end up in the same 1,5 km washed out carriage road. That last stretch will get pretty much any shock to a boil Think highspeed washboard with roots and some rocks.
    I guess you get a bit better set-up when you get the full Mojo treatment as well, compared to buying from Nicolai. Tuning and such should be more spot-on, right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    It's interesting too as I read somewhere (could even have been this forum!) that the linkage was better suited to a coil shock which is at odds with what MojoR/Nicolai are selling. Indeed when buying mine I asked Paul about coil option and he said it doesn't give the mid-stroke support for general trail riding duties

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Dropping to 165ís or 170 wouldnít be an issue unless you are compromised by seat height.

Having said that unless you have a problem with strikes thereís no need to change.

By the way how much is your hybrids weight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Just over 31lb with the ebike 36. It was 30 without that but itís quite a bit heavier than a stock 36.
    Using a Float X drops a bit of weight.

On the coil I spoke to Chris. For most coils itís true it doesnít have the mid stroke support.

He believes the EXT is different the damping setup is so well set up and the spring weight selection (25lb increments) such that it becomes a good option, itís also barely heavier than an X2.

Iíll be giving it a test on mine.

Last edited by the_pilot; 02-16-2018 at 04:02 AM.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Just over 31lb with the ebike 36. It was 30 without that but itís quite a bit heavier than a stock 36.
    Using a Float X drops a bit of weight.

On the coil I spoke to Chris. For most coils itís true it doesnít have the mod stroke support.

He believes the EXT is different the damping setup is so well set up and the spring weight selection (25lb increments) such that it becomes a good option, itís also barely heavier than an X2s

Iíll be giving it a test on mine.

That's not much when i converted it right to just over 14 kg and if i add say 600g for one frame size bigger it's even more impressive!

Will you stay with the Float X or switch black to the X2? I heard some are quite big fans of it and prefer it over the X2!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

If you want the ultimate allrounder do it! 29er Mojo G16 is perfect for this!

And if you have some Money left go for a second backwheel in 27,5" to be able to switch it to hybrid, for some more agility at races or tight tracks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaal View Post
    True, the terrain is a big factor. And on the local rides that start from my house, they all end up in the same 1,5 km washed out carriage road. That last stretch will get pretty much any shock to a boil Think highspeed washboard with roots and some rocks.
    I guess you get a bit better set-up when you get the full Mojo treatment as well, compared to buying from Nicolai. Tuning and such should be more spot-on, right?
    Especially when you decide to pick it up in England!

A more perfect set up to your riding couldn't be possible!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That's not much when i converted it right to just over 14 kg and if i add say 600g for one frame size bigger it's even more impressive!

Will you stay with the Float X or switch black to the X2? I heard some are quite big fans of it and prefer it over the X2!
    Only caveat to weight is itís tyre and cassette sensitive and I do have some light/$$$ stuff on it.
    But 32lb with sensible tyres and a decent light cassette is not hard.

Iím ok with the float x, I bought it when my x2 blew up in Finale and it was all I could get.

I think my x2 feels more controlled. As much because I have a wider range of damping adjustment.

Itís about 150g for a frame size not 600!

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Only caveat to weight is itís tyre and cassette sensitive and I do have some light/$$$ stuff on it.
    But 32lb with sensible tyres and a decent light cassette is not hard.

Iím ok with the float x, I bought it when my x2 blew up in Finale and it was all I could get.

I think my x2 feels more controlled. As much because I have a wider range of damping adjustment.

Itís about 150g for a frame size not 600!

That's impressive with only 150g difference! :-)

Hope 10-48 cassette will probably be not the lightest one! And the Minion DD and Shorty probably too!
    But there is always room for lighter parts! Main focus was/is stability

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That's impressive with only 150g difference! :-)

Hope 10-48 cassette will probably be not the lightest one! And the Minion DD and Shorty probably too!
    But there is always room for lighter parts! Main focus was/is stability
    Iím running Mary SG and a Minion tho so not light tyres.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Regarding tyres; traditionally i've had a bit burlier tyre out back (now with Huck Norris) since that has taken a bit more of a beating. Have you noticed a need for a burly front tyre as well due to more weighting of the front? Or have you been able to go on even lighter tyres than usual?

mtbr member
    If you want the ultimate allrounder do it! 29er Mojo G16 is perfect for this!

And if you have some Money left go for a second backwheel in 27,5" to be able to switch it to hybrid, for some more agility at races or tight tracks!
    Oh that's just what I want to hear and my wallet doesn't!! Trying to see if I can get my finances in order for a new frame or build.
    2013 Kona Process
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    By the way there is another interesting Review in the current issue of Enduro.

But it's not yet available on the site only in the App!

They've been testing the Ion-G15 QLFLINE in '17 spec!

But they had one issue i'm wondering about! They say the 20mm rise bar is far to low and have chosen a 40mm rise one instead! Anyone experienced that issue too?!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Trying to install SRAM Guide brakes and 200mm rotor. Cant seem to find a brake adapter to fit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The brake mount on Nicolai frames is Post Mount 180mm so you'll need a 20mm adapter for Avid brakes to allow for increased rotor size

I just Googled it and PlanetX have them for £2!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Beat me to it. Thatís right. You need a +183mm Mount for a 203mm or 180mm for a 200mm rotor the same as you would for a 36 Fork.
    Hope H if you go that way.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What stem length are you all running? As short as possible seems the best in my mind, to get that slack front steering quickly, but I've come across a few suggestions to go with a slightly longer stem if only to force you to weigh the frontend more?

Are the Geometrons with the adjustable chainstays the 2018, or did those appear last year? Any rumours about changes for 2018?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jsdk View Post
    What stem length are you all running? As short as possible seems the best in my mind, to get that slack front steering quickly, but I've come across a few suggestions to go with a slightly longer stem if only to force you to weigh the frontend more?

Are the Geometrons with the adjustable chainstays the 2018, or did those appear last year? Any rumours about changes for 2018?
    I've got mine set up with a 35 mm stem and 800 mm wide bars and like it this way. My understanding is that the bike is designed to be run with the shortest stem possible thanks to the long top tube etc. I've tried narrower bars (750's when I first built the bike) decided a bit more leverage over the front wheel would be worth trying, and haven't felt the need to cut the bars down since. When my Dad decided he wanted a G16 this was also what he decided on and is very happy with it.

Personally I found the bike felt very natural to ride and easy to get used to. I've never felt like either end of the bike was going to wash out, for example.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jsdk View Post

The slack front is designed to steer quickly and smoothly, the head angle being balanced with the flop factor and the weight distribution so yes 30 to 35mm is ideal, 40mm absolute max really in terms of design, but no one would tell you what you can and canít do.
    Adjustable chainstay was from Late 16/ early 17 along with the change to cartridge bearings on all pivots.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Are there torque settings for shock and bearings?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Has anyone rode a 37mm offset on their 29ers. I'm about to order a new fork and am trying to decide what offset I want with it. Its going to be a Fox 170mm. I just trying to decide 44 or 37. Estimated HTA is around 63.5 I'm also moving to a longer stroke shock. 170mm/167mm Full 29.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DinDe View Post
    Are there torque settings for shock and bearings?

7nm for the shock bolts and bearing bolts. Bearings arenít sensitive to it though but shock is.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thegromit View Post
    Has anyone rode a 37mm offset on their 29ers. I'm about to order a new fork and am trying to decide what offset I want with it. Its going to be a Fox 170mm. I just trying to decide 44 or 37. Estimated HTA is around 63.5 I'm also moving to a longer stroke shock. 170mm/167mm Full 29.
    Yes, tried them all. Hard to tell you one is better than another but found 42-44mm better balanced with a slacker HA.
    I assume thatís a Nicolai bike then.

If it was me Iíd adapt it to be around 62.5 HA with a 44mm offset for a 29 front.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes, tried them all. Hard to tell you one is better than another but found 42-44mm better balanced with a slacker HA.
    I assume thatís a Nicolai bike then.

If it was me Iíd adapt it to be around 62.5 HA with a 44mm offset for a 29 front.

I guess Iíd say that is is what both myself and Chris have settle on. 62-62.5, 44mm offset.

Would go to 42mm if using a Lyrik but 44mm Fox.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    it was a custom build through MOJO
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    it was a custom build through MOJO
    Ah, cool. Even better then youíll keep the SA.
    In which. Case at 170mm and 63.5 Iíd go 44mm or 42mm depending on Fox or Rockshox or as close to that with any other fork manufacturer and if you feel the need.

Itís not so slack that the flop will affect it like it does with the 51mm so I would say the mid ground will be spot on.

Any other changes you made? Did I miss that in the thread or is my memory just going as I get older

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Cush core! Thats been interesting. really makes the bike feel calm at high speeds and on square edge hits.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My G16 29er in Longest, now tested and set-up by Paul and Chris at BPW.
    Fantastic to get that kind of support and service Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-geometron29.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Wow! what a beauty - dream spec!
    Did you go for any offset shock bushings or angleset?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks! Pretty happy with it Just a shame to be back home in norway where we have a ton of snow and no biking... So cool to have had a day at BPW to get it set up properly as well
    No offset bushings or anglesets, 155 mm travel in the back and 62ish headangle works for me so far. The bottombracket height is good as well, haven't measured it with big tyres but it feels low enough (it should be approx 345mm though).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaal View Post
    Thanks! Pretty happy with it Just a shame to be back home in norway where we have a ton of snow and no biking... So cool to have had a day at BPW to get it set up properly as well
    No offset bushings or anglesets, 155 mm travel in the back and 62ish headangle works for me so far. The bottombracket height is good as well, haven't measured it with big tyres but it feels low enough (it should be approx 345mm though).
    No offsets or anglesets needed on the current model, 29 wheels at 155mm rear travel. Just set the chip to 222 with the 216 shock and itís all spot on.

Lovely, I hope you get loads of enjoyment out of it.

If you fancy a change you can just drop a 27.5 in the back and flip the chip for a different feel again and choose the setup for whatever ride you do.

Let us know how you get on and post pics with the hashtag GeoMetron on instagram.
    #geometron

We are getting a community going...

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Geometron for size

I wanted to make a note for those looking at getting into or onto a Geometron.

There is a picture I posted way back now of a G16 that I recommended and advised my friend to buy. He is taller than me, around 6'2" and he bought the Extra longest.

Last week we were on a bike trip in NZ and I had a chance to ride his Geo on some shuttle runs. I was well dialed in as I had been riding my bike on the tracks. I am 5'11" and probably would be specced a Longest size in Geometron terms. A longest would be 50mm longer than my current bike.

I was aware of this and prepared to accept that extra longest - well, extra extra length.

I was straight into the run and wow settled into immediately railing berms and doing small doubles straight away. On one very fast 'S' section the Geo was faster than my bike, I could feel the extra stability - first run. Then the track tightened into more trail bike berms and doubles (about 40 on this trail). On the tighter turns, no problems at all. Actually it was fun and I was feeling the back wheel grip more in some way, and abusing it more as a result such that the bike size to my surprise was not an issue at all.

The only issue I had was on another tech run which got very steep in loamy woods, the issue was the seat clearance of the XL for me, but steep tight off chamber turns through and around tight trees were not a problem.

Impressive balance gave impressive feel which gave an engaging ride that was fast straight out of the box. The rough stuff was pretty good to, it ate that chunk up at speed.

Now that test ride has turned it on its head. Most people are worried about the same size in a Geo being so much longer, conversely, I am scared that despite the progressive sizing, I really liked the next size up. I didn't do any climbing and that might be a difference perhaps.

As I say, I wanted to mention the feel of the bike for those considering and worried about the length. It really is not an issue, in fact the whole set up is one of the most intuitive out there. Even when going too big (allegedly) it is still an amazing ride.
    And not just a plough ride, banging turns is great fun to.

Total props and credit to Mojo for a great geo on a great bike. Wow!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    27.5 will be tried Chris seemed really enthusiastic about it!
    And first pic is already out on insta, my gf posted from the fitting session. More to come whenever the snow melts around here...

@WilliamK That is what struck me as well, I could very well have sized up (mine is a Longest for my 186 cm/6'1). Happy with my sizing though since i mostly will be riding slower and tighter trails. For alpine riding and more open trail centres, a size up would have been more than ok. For pedaling and xc riding i think the extra length would just be a benefit really, giving more space when standing up and pedaling hard!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    I wanted to make a note for those looking at getting into or onto a Geometron.

There is a picture I posted way back now of a G16 that I recommended and advised my friend to buy. He is taller than me, around 6'2" and he bought the Extra longest.

Last week we were on a bike trip in NZ and I had a chance to ride his Geo on some shuttle runs. I was well dialed in as I had been riding my bike on the tracks. I am 5'11" and probably would be specced a Longest size in Geometron terms. A longest would be 50mm longer than my current bike.

I was aware of this and prepared to accept that extra longest - well, extra extra length.

I was straight into the run and wow settled into immediately railing berms and doing small doubles straight away. On one very fast 'S' section the Geo was faster than my bike, I could feel the extra stability - first run. Then the track tightened into more trail bike berms and doubles (about 40 on this trail). On the tighter turns, no problems at all. Actually it was fun and I was feeling the back wheel grip more in some way, and abusing it more as a result such that the bike size to my surprise was not an issue at all.

The only issue I had was on another tech run which got very steep in loamy woods, the issue was the seat clearance of the XL for me, but steep tight off chamber turns through and around tight trees were not a problem.

Impressive balance gave impressive feel which gave an engaging ride that was fast straight out of the box. The rough stuff was pretty good to, it ate that chunk up at speed.

Now that test ride has turned it on its head. Most people are worried about the same size in a Geo being so much longer, conversely, I am scared that despite the progressive sizing, I really liked the next size up. I didn't do any climbing and that might be a difference perhaps.

As I say, I wanted to mention the feel of the bike for those considering and worried about the length. It really is not an issue, in fact the whole set up is one of the most intuitive out there. Even when going too big (allegedly) it is still an amazing ride.
    And not just a plough ride, banging turns is great fun to.

Total props and credit to Mojo for a great geo on a great bike. Wow!
    Williamk

I spoke to Chris about this, itís always great to get this kind of feedback.

Could we use this on social media/website , or get you to email the thoughts or a little piece to GeoMetron Bikes?
    Just send me a private message and I can hook you up with the guys at GeoMetron. Well there are only 3!

Sales are driven by word of mouth and experience with these bikes and itís so helpful to other customers to see they can size up/or down for their needs but they should not be afraid that they are all much too long..

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    @the_pilot,

Have you tried Storia from ExtremeShox yet? Heard guys are very impressed. How does it compare to x2?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

@the_pilot,

Have you tried Storia from ExtremeShox yet? Heard guys are very impressed. How does it compare to x2?

I havenít. Got one on the way. Chris is very impressed indeed but has proposed how there could be some further improvements I gather.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I havenít. Got one on the way. Chris is very impressed indeed but has proposed how their could be some further improvements I gather.

Ha, sounds like Chris alright! Would like to try coil in the future. This might be an option along dhx2. What's your experience with coil shock?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    @the_pilot,

I had a go on Chris's. I am a little but light for the spring he uses, even without allowing for that I thought it was a step-up in sensitivity and damping from the X2. It has a bit more support in the middle of the travel but still ramps up, it felt like more than the 155 on my other bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I had a go on Chris's. I am a little but light for the spring he uses, even without allowing for that I thought it was a step-up in sensitivity and damping from the X2. It has a bit more support in the middle of the travel but still ramps up, it felt like more than the 155 on my other bike.
    Thanks for that! Have you tried dhx2?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for that! Have you tried dhx2?

No. I've had the original G16 at 155 with an X2. The new one will be longer travel in the back so I might be tempted to go for the coil. If I do I'll probably just go straight to the Storia, with the right set-up advice from Mojo I think it'll be hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah all for that, happy to help out. Sorry to rehash size and fitting again, but I know people mull over this again and again. Size is so important to the fun factory and it can be hard to get over the line and put the money down with some doubt.

I was trying to say, you are in good hands with a Geometron.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Speaking about different wheel sizes I have created a photo collage based on photos from GeoMetron Bikes. I have to say that in such a long bike all options look great. Bottom is the 27.5, middle is the hybrid and top is the 29.

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-photogrid_1519987081297.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Speaking about different wheel sizes I have created a photo collage based on photos from GeoMetron Bikes. I have to say that in such a long bike all options look great. Bottom is the 27.5, middle is the hybrid and top is the 29.

Name:	PhotoGrid_1519987081297.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	1185534
    Can we hit social with this? Chris loves it?
    Credit you of course

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Of course! No need to credit me. I just used the photos available on the site.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    @gpgalanis That is a great overview of the options. What size frame is that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Since this isn't my bike I can't be sure about the size but I think that Pilot will know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Looks like XL to me. Too tube not as slopes as the Longest.

Aka chainline...

v0n
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    I havenít. Got one on the way. Chris is very impressed indeed but has proposed how there could be some further improvements I gather.

What type of changed has he suggested?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Upgraded fork (: now it is officially 29 capable.
    Will test how its fills as 29er when this white sÖ is gone

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-9zr3gey.jpgNicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-ichy7eb.jpgNicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-m5zrheu.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by v0n View Post
    What type of changed has he suggested?
    Looking at improved sensitivity with firmer springs. Yíknow, the holy grail of a coil.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Looking at improved sensitivity with firmer springs. Yíknow, the holy grail of a coil.

What rate spring was he using? 155 or 175 setting?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What rate spring was he using? 155 or 175 setting?

Length you mean. The guys have used both.

Current shock is great according to Chris and the damping good enough to tune the support...but as ever he wants more...can it be better...

Aka chainline...

v0n
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Gotcha just edging for that little extra

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Length you mean. The guys have used both.

Current shock is great according to Chris and the damping good enough to tune the support...but as ever he wants more...can it be better...

Just wondering if you'd know what rate spring Chris used? 500lb,550lb etc..

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    What's the biggest spring available for the storia shock. I'm a big guy, weighing 280lbs. I'm thinking of g16.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lesburn View Post
    What's the biggest spring available for the storia shock. I'm a big guy, weighing 280lbs. I'm thinking of g16.
    I will ask Chris

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Pace sustenance

Above I mentioned a recent riding trip to NZ where I got to do a few runs on the XL Geometron G16.

Working tight fast single track is not a problem, and as an indication (I hope I have successfully) uploaded this video or link. Woodsy zipping, tight trail bike berms all dispatched with aplomb.

Video is taken from on board the XL Geometron, chasing a Dune, and I am directly behind the Geo chasing hard. Note, the only reason the Dune was put in front was to give some perspective. Other runs down the same trail had the Geo in front and it left us all behind. Around the 3 min mark the party got busy and they both put a couple of lengths into me, bastards!

The take out is, wheel base is no impediment. In fact, you can make out easy closing in by the Geo when it was either a more technical or faster section. The fastest bikes down here were all the longer front centre bikes, the other 3, a Bronson, Yeti SB6 and Pivot 5.7 couldn't sustain the pace.

I think that is the key, it is easier to sustain the pace with more inherent balance on tap. Easier for mortal riders let's say.

Here goes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rnU...ew?ts=5aa851ec

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice video WilliamK

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Weíve always used Finale Freeride but I have got the details of another guy who does ad hoc pickups. Iíll dig them out.

Any more recommendations for riding at Finale Ligure later this year? I'm waiting on a response from Finale Ligure Freeride and also have made enquiries with Ride On Noli

Trying to keep costs down so looking at train from Nice to FL - anyone got experience of this? is it a pain with bike bag?

Good places to eat/drink etc?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Any more recommendations for riding at Finale Ligure later this year? I'm waiting on a response from Finale Ligure Freeride and also have made enquiries with Ride On Noli

Trying to keep costs down so looking at train from Nice to FL - anyone got experience of this? is it a pain with bike bag?

Good places to eat/drink etc?
    I looked at Milan to Finale which is doable. Still a slight pain with a bike bag.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Anyone got any experience of the hope enduro 29 wheels?
    They are an option for spec on g16 but do not know much about them.
    Are suitable for big guys and 2.4 tyres? I noticed they are only 23mm internal diameter, which seems on the small side. Would i be better with 28-30mm?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have some on a hardtail. I think the width is fine for 2.4 tyres. They are on the heavy side though

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Cheers for the swift reply. I dont want to get to obsessed with weight as I'm a heavy guy. I dontwantto sacrifice reliability and strength just to save a few grams

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    They're good value for your money. The rim width is definitely a let down for me. I'm 120kg and had 2.35 MM on and balance between tyre roll on lower pressure and no traction with too high pressure is very fine. Would definitely go for wider rim for more hardcore riding. On 27.5 35w with 2.8 up front at the moment and definitely lots of grip to be explored.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Cheers. Your approx my weight and that is what I was thinking. I have a trek roscoe with 40mm diameter and 2.8 tyres. They are great

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Picked my 170mm hybrid up today, it came out at 34lbs with Derbys and 2.4/5 MegaExo tyres. Shakedown is Vallelujah practice. I can't wait to get out on it!

I've used Flows a lot, they're a bit wider than the Hope rims and tough enough, when I've dented/bust them it's been by being slack and not checking tyre pressures.

For decent food in Finale there's a pedestrian street one back from the beach front that has a couple of nice small restaurants and a bigger place that does BBQ type stuff. There's a place in the square that does really good food early evening that's free for drinkers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Could you post some photos of your hybrid?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hey. Derbys? Which wheels are u using?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Could you post some photos of your hybrid?
    I chucked it in the back of the car in a rush this afternoon and it's still there, I've been flat out!

I'll get some pictures tomorrow when I'm packing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Derby carbon rims on Pro4 hubs, pretty sure we agreed 40mm internal, AM layup 29 front and then 35 internal, DH layup 27.5 rear.

They put the Hope freehub/cassette thing on as well, first impressions are its a lot lighter than the usual XT 11-46.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nice. Don't think I can stretch to carbon rims 
    I think I'm gonna go sram eagle 12 speed. Not sure if its worth the extra £200 for xx1.
    Have you any experience of aluminium wheels. I think I need min 30mm internal so the tyre is a bit more stable as I'm a heavy guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    @Standard thanks for tips re Finale Ligure

@lesburn I have the Hope Enduro 29er wheelset, they're a solid option and used widely esp by Nicolai/Geometron owners, I run 2.3 tyres with no issues. If I had slightly higher budget I probably would have specced the Hope Pro4 hub with Stans Flow 3 or Dt Swiss 481 rim as lighter + wider, I don't have any complaints though

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'll Have a look at them. thanks.
    Did you try them with any bigger? Ie 2.4 or 2.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Personally I haven't, no, I'd worry that anything too big would be too draggy for my local riding

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    @Standard thanks for tips re Finale Ligure

@lesburn I have the Hope Enduro 29er wheelset, they're a solid option and used widely esp by Nicolai/Geometron owners, I run 2.3 tyres with no issues. If I had slightly higher budget I probably would have specced the Hope Pro4 hub with Stans Flow 3 or Dt Swiss 481 rim as lighter + wider, I don't have any complaints though
    This place is fantastic
    Ai Cuattru Canti, Via Torcelli, 22, 17024 Finale Ligure SV, Italy

Sometimes need to book though.

Final Borgo always nice to chill in after a ride with a few nice/bar restaurants
    Great bike shop in the corner run by Luca

Best gelato in Main square on left hand side as you walk on from the beach.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lesburn View Post
    I'll Have a look at them. thanks.
    Did you try them with any bigger? Ie 2.4 or 2.5
    The Hopes are tough, fine with 2.3/2.4 and feel good on A GeoMetron, they steer nicely but they are quite heavy.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Not sure if it's a design flaw or not, but I've rounded off the (allen) bolt head on the rear axle of my G13.
    The same thing has happened to a friend on his G16. It does seem like very soft material for something that has to be unscrewed regularly.
    Now my only option is to carry an adjustable spanner when out riding which isn't ideal...
    I'm looking to order a maxle type rear axle now, any idea what would fit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Same story with my argon fat, now Iím using socket wrench ):
    This why I went on new frame with RS maxle.

mtbr member
    Is it possible to convert Nicolai version of G16 to 29 wheels? I know that Mojo version has slacker HT but most of the other numbers are the same. Sorry if this question has been answered.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kRyP70n173 View Post
    Is it possible to convert Nicolai version of G16 to 29 wheels? I know that Mojo version has slacker HT but most of the other numbers are the same. Sorry if this question has been answered.
    Yes it is. There isnít so much tyre room (width) as the Mojo version also has an 83mm B.B. (I donít think Nicolai have changed that) but it does fit 29 according to a Vincent.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Anyone got any experience of cushcore tyre inserts or similar?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Hi,
    IĎm looking for the correct spring for my dhx2 I would like to use in my g16. Tf calculator says something about 375lbs for my 85kg. A few weeks ago I did read that Chris would suggest 3.00 coils for 2.75 travel dhx2, would I be safe in buying a 375x3.00 spring?
    Would be great if you could help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JPJonny View Post
    Hi,
    IĎm looking for the correct spring for my dhx2 I would like to use in my g16. Tf calculator says something about 375lbs for my 85kg. A few weeks ago I did read that Chris would suggest 3.00 coils for 2.75 travel dhx2, would I be safe in buying a 375x3.00 spring?
    Would be great if you could help!
    I am the same weight as you, and found a 400lb spring to work better. I am on a fox Rc4 which should have more bottom out support with the boost valve. I am running close to max pressure in the boost valve.

I can not speak to the longer spring, I have used the same spring (fancy orange ones) on both 2.5 and 2.75 shocks. Spring states 2.75 but does look a little short so it could bind in with the longer stroke...I never noticed but I had limited time on the longer stroke.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Pilot

Are you still running the ebike 36? What are your thoughts on the 34 FIT4 damper in it vs the 36 rc2? Does the stiffness make up for it?

I am currently running 650b front and rear, 170mm ft and 155mm rear and find the 36 to be fairly flexy.

One year into my g16 and I am in need of a new fork and wheels and was curious to try ether a full 29er or a 29/27.5. Are you still liking the mixed setup? I have a love hate relationship with 29ers, I think most or my dislike comes from to much B.B. drop as the bike always wants to stand up(g16 should take care of that). I do like the way 29ers cover ground on long rides...

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've had 3 rides on the G16 hybrid now, for 175km and 4200m of climbing.

The 29 front on the hybrid seems to smooth out the steering, grip and rollover. The 27.5 rear seems to get away from that feeling of having to manage the rear, it is very intuitive to ride. You don't get the 'flywheel' effect that you feel when you spin up a 29 rear wheel but I think the way it corners more than compensates.

I would definitely try the hybrid, Chris was saying he has the full 29 riding really nicely now but it would really depend exactly what type of riding you are doing which one would work better for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rich2007 View Post
    Pilot

Are you still running the ebike 36? What are your thoughts on the 34 FIT4 damper in it vs the 36 rc2? Does the stiffness make up for it?

I am currently running 650b front and rear, 170mm ft and 155mm rear and find the 36 to be fairly flexy.

One year into my g16 and I am in need of a new fork and wheels and was curious to try ether a full 29er or a 29/27.5. Are you still liking the mixed setup? I have a love hate relationship with 29ers, I think most or my dislike comes from to much B.B. drop as the bike always wants to stand up(g16 should take care of that). I do like the way 29ers cover ground on long rides...

Cheers
    I do still use the ebike 36 and definitely stiffer than std. I have had no issues with the Fit4 and Chris still uses it on his so thatís good enough for me.

Itís no 40, but not much is.

The hybrid just doesnít feel like a 29 to ride.

Iíve written earlier about the B.B. drop Iíve used on the G16 for 29 wheels, I prefer the same as the 27.5, but others donít.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    @the_pilot Would you have any idea what is involved in increasing the rear travel on the G13 in terms of cost/parts?
    Would I have to send the frame to Mojo?

At the moment I have it set up as 140/133, but the fox 36 can be increased out to 160mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NG13 View Post
    @the_pilot Would you have any idea what is involved in increasing the rear travel on the G13 in terms of cost/parts?
    Would I have to send the frame to Mojo?

At the moment I have it set up as 140/133, but the fox 36 can be increased out to 160mm.
    You can fit a custom Mojo dhx2 (they may have a Storia now not sure I can ask Chris) to increase travel to 148mm at the rear with the same geo. You can then run up to 160mm at the front but I would recommend running the front at 150mm or with additional sag if 160mm to maintain SA and reach.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    You can fit a custom Mojo dhx2 (they may have a Storia now not sure I can ask Chris) to increase travel to 148mm at the rear with the same geo. You can then run up to 160mm at the front but I would recommend running the front at 150mm or with additional sag if 160mm to maintain SA and reach.

Perfect, cheers. I'll fire them an email and ask about prices

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rich2007 View Post
    I am the same weight as you, and found a 400lb spring to work better. I am on a fox Rc4 which should have more bottom out support with the boost valve. I am running close to max pressure in the boost valve.

I can not speak to the longer spring, I have used the same spring (fancy orange ones) on both 2.5 and 2.75 shocks. Spring states 2.75 but does look a little short so it could bind in with the longer stroke...I never noticed but I had limited time on the longer stroke.

I think my Pivot DH bike came with a longer stroke spring and Cocalis said something like better mid stroke support but I couldn't find any research that backs this up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I notice on Geometron website that all build options for G13 & Mojo/G16 have a EXT Storia shock (although photos still show Fox shock), is this now a 'partnership' between CP and the EXT guys?
    EXT shock doesn't seem to be available via Nicolai who are still spec'ing Fox

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I notice on Geometron website that all build options for G13 & Mojo/G16 have a EXT Storia shock (although photos still show Fox shock), is this now a 'partnership' between CP and the EXT guys?
    EXT shock doesn't seem to be available via Nicolai who are still spec'ing Fox
    Yes, joint development, feedback etc from GeoMetron for optimised shocks for GeoMetron curves and improvements in future products.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I want one already!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I want one already!
    Storia are custom specced for all bikes but Chris was impressed with the one he tried and has committed to stock for the GeoMetronís and has a good relationship with EXT.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    WOW! Just saw the pricing on a G16 build, and its comparable to what I am going to pay for a Knolly Fugitive LT that won't be here until July. Starting to maybe have some regrets about putting that deposit down...
    2013 Kona Process
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Attachment 1191713I recently rebuilt the bike with a longer stroke shock, longer fork with shorter offset and a -5 works headset. New dimensions 170mm fork with 37mm offset, I already had a 2.5" shock and swapped it for a 2.75" shaft so now I'm at 167mm rear.

I'm pretty close to stock 63.5 HTA, 77 STA, My BB is higher approximately 13.7'' which is good in sag and pedaling.

I feel like V 2.0 is an overall better ride and more fun.

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-fullsizerender.jpgNicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-img_4225.jpgNicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-img_4229.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Borrowed time

I managed to borrow a friends Nicolai for a couple of weeks.

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-ni-c-2.jpg
    There's nothing like a Nicolai in some gum leaves...

I have done a range of rides, trail rides, narrow ungroomed single track, all mountain and groomed stuff.

The bike is set up with small offset fork and a -1 or 2 deg head set, anyway it is around the 63.5 mark and is running 155mm rear.

Remember I rode my other mates GeoM which is a coil 175mm rear

Here we are on a Long and longer ride recently.

Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-long-longer-1.jpg

With every ride I get more and more into the geo. It is simply great. And that is the key, simplicity. Simplicity of execution in geo terms imo. And after a bit of riding it gets very Zen, the bike just disappears under you and you go about riding the ring off the bike. It's very awesome, you have a moment of ride purity/bliss with every ride.
    And a pretty good trail bike in this set up. I'm loving how I can get back into some bike ballet and dance on the front and really drive the front wheel in. Cool bikes indeed.

I have ridden both and can say I could ride a Longer in 155mm for daily trail stuff and a Longest coil 175mm for bombing shuttle work. Besides I hear you get 50% off on the second bike, don't you....

For the trail riding I had no issues popping off small stuff and small jumps (jump ramps/kickers smaller than the wheel base), and it's like having gnar insurance with this geo, when it turns steep and or super fast you just grin and be amazed at how full on you can attack. Put it this way I was pleasantly surprised by the 155mm capability in all respects.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Attachment 1191713I recently rebuilt the bike with a longer stroke shock, longer fork with shorter offset and a -5 works headset. New dimensions 170mm fork with 37mm offset, I already had a 2.5" shock and swapped it for a 2.75" shaft so now I'm at 167mm rear.

I'm pretty close to stock 63.5 HTA, 77 STA, My BB is higher approximately 13.7'' which is good in sag and pedaling.

I feel like V 2.0 is an overall better ride and more fun.

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	700 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	1191710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4225.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	1191711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4229.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	1191714
    A -2 I hope not a -5

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I contacted Paul the other day on another matter but he said the EXT Storia shock can be set up to give 148mm rear travel on a G13, he sounded v impressed with them - anyone riden one yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    thegromit: downtube protection is this rockguardz???

v0n
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    I contacted Paul the other day on another matter but he said the EXT Storia shock can be set up to give 148mm rear travel on a G13, he sounded v impressed with them - anyone riden one yet?
    Yep. Itís also the first time I have ever ridden a coil shock. First gripe I have is that the high speed compression requires an additional tool so you only get ďon the flyĒ low speed adjustments.

Personally, the range of adjustments did not make a huge difference for me. But to be honest I havenít had enough time riding it. Nonetheless, this shock is great. At 6 clicks of HSC and 4clicks of LSC rebound at 6clicks out. I feel more momentum on certain sections that I have previously felt sluggish. The LOK out serves its purpose well.

Thatís really I have to say after 3 rides.

v0n
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    FYI I have a ion 16 not a g16

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    42, 44 or 46mm fork offset on a G16 29er?

Also the new Storia shocked G bikes are a nice spec. I guess I can order a shock from Geometron?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    42, 44 or 46mm fork offset on a G16 29er?

Also the new Storia shocked G bikes are a nice spec. I guess I can order a shock from Geometron?
    If you have the choice 42 assuming you have a 62 or lower HA on the G16 set up as 29.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Strongly considering the Storia option now...From what I can see, the Storia listed on the G13 spec on the website is 196x57mm.
    Is there some way of offsetting the negative effect this would have on the geometry? (current shock is 190x50)
    I already have an angleset fitted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Strongly considering the Storia option now...From what I can see, the Storia listed on the G13 spec on the website is 196x57mm.
    Is there some way of offsetting the negative effect this would have on the geometry? (current shock is 190x50)
    I already have an angleset fitted.
    I think this would be a question for Chris/Paul, I like the idea of the Storia shock too - bumping rear travel up to 148mm and increasing fork to 150mm, maybe an upgrade down the line...
    Also interested to know how warranty/servicing is being handled - Mojo Rising?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I think this would be a question for Chris/Paul, I like the idea of the Storia shock too - bumping rear travel up to 148mm and increasing fork to 150mm, maybe an upgrade down the line...
    Also interested to know how warranty/servicing is being handled - Mojo Rising?
    I emailed them and got a response today - the shock is supplied with 2 offset bushings which reduces the effective eye-to-eye length to 192mm. Probably shouldn't affect the geometry of the bike too much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I emailed them and got a response today - the shock is supplied with 2 offset bushings which reduces the effective eye-to-eye length to 192mm. Probably shouldn't affect the geometry of the bike too much.
    I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference, especially once sagged

any info on UK servicing/support etc?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference, especially once sagged

any info on UK servicing/support etc?
    Iím sat here with Marcel, the engineer at GeoMetron/Mojo Rising.
    He confirmed the geometry is not affected by the addition of the bushes to the Storia. It is returned to stock so to speak, which was the purpose.
    So it is a direct replacement.
    The bushes will be supplied with the stock.

UK servicing , support and warranty will be thorough Mojo Rising.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a G16 in extra longest, i am having an issue we the shifter body slightly clipping the top tube is the bard swing around. I can make it miss by have the controls very flat, but id rather have them angled down abit.

i have 2cm of spacers under the stem, is it just a case of adding more or am i missing something?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niknakuk View Post
    I have a G16 in extra longest, i am having an issue we the shifter body slightly clipping the top tube is the bard swing around. I can make it miss by have the controls very flat, but id rather have them angled down abit.

i have 2cm of spacers under the stem, is it just a case of adding more or am i missing something?
    No not missing something, that can happen, itís a function of how slack it is, run the shifter not too tight so it can move if it hits really hard.
    Obviously that is only in a crash I hope!
    You wonít damage the TT.

You can of course lift using spacers, it depends if the different bar height works for you.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Isn't there an Acros headset that prevents this (ref Paul Astons Murmur review on Pinkbike).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fartymarty View Post
    Isn't there an Acros headset that prevents this (ref Paul Astons Murmur review on Pinkbike).
    Not sure I understand? It isnít flex, it is the angle of the top tube relative to the headtube that can cause it if not running higher rise bars or (usually) at least 20mm spacers.
    A taller headset cup can also help,

Paul Aston reviewed the Intend stiffest I recall.

Aka chainline...

yet another stupid german
    Quote Originally Posted by fartymarty View Post
    You're thinking of the Acros BlockLock which has an integrated rotation stop...
    Nicolai/Mojo GeoMetron build/riding/Development Thread-51-h_az-44bl_blocklock_steuersatz_2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
    You're thinking of the Acros BlockLock which has an integrated rotation stop...

Name:	51-H_AZ-44BL_BlockLock_Steuersatz_2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	1194516
    Ah yes I recall that. My mistake for not reading the Acros bit!

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Run a dual crown fork. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    That's the one. Shame it isn't an angle set as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Or the cheaper option is to put some insulation tape around the top tube where the shifters / brakes hit or just run really flat levers which is en vogue at the moment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just added some spacers under the stem, 20mm in total. I also use Hope Tech 3 levers with SRAM matchmaker clamps for my shifter. These do make the shifter quite low, so i used the band clamp for the shifter instead which gave me more clearance as well.

mtbr member
    -5mm reach

mtbr member
    where can you get offset bushings that are 22.2

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    where can you get offset bushings that are 22.2
    GeoMetron doing offset bushings.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    deleted
    Last edited by NG13; 05-08-2018 at 09:57 AM. Reason: deleted

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Iím sat here with Marcel, the engineer at GeoMetron/Mojo Rising.
    He confirmed the geometry is not affected by the addition of the bushes to the Storia. It is returned to stock so to speak, which was the purpose.
    So it is a direct replacement.
    The bushes will be supplied with the stock.

UK servicing , support and warranty will be thorough Mojo Rising.

Thanks Pilot!
    I am very close to pulling the trigger on the EXT shock but it's a lot of money and want to just clarify something:
    This is a 200x57 shock with the eye-to-eye reduced to 196mm by offset bushings?
    The geometry of the bike won't be adversely affected by this?

Sorry for all the questions!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks Pilot!
    I am very close to pulling the trigger on the EXT shock but it's a lot of money and want to just clarify something:
    This is a 200x57 shock with the eye-to-eye reduced to 196mm by offset bushings?
    The geometry of the bike won't be adversely affected by this?

Sorry for all the questions!
    hi NG13 - are you riding G13 or G16? on the G13 the Storia shock is 196mm so two offset bushings are used to effectively reduce length down to 192mm, see #762 above

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    hi NG13 - are you riding G13 or G16? on the G13 the Storia shock is 196mm so two offset bushings are used to effectively reduce length down to 192mm, see #762 above
    Hi Bill, I'm on the G13. Post #762 was written by me - having re-read the email I got from geometron, I'm unclear as to whether the eye-to-eye is 196mm or 192mm when the offset bushings are included.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi Bill, I'm on the G13. Post #762 was written by me - having re-read the email I got from geometron, I'm unclear as to whether the eye-to-eye is 196mm or 192mm when the offset bushings are included.
    Iíll ask!

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Someone PM me the price of an 8.5x2.5 Storia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    d'oh!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Iím informed by Chris that they have both 190x50 Storia

And

195x57 Storia

The latter would deliver stock geo with the offset bushes but increase the rear travel.

Call Chris at GeoMetron for the individual lowdown.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Looking at this again, according to the techsheet the G13 takes a 190 x 51mm shock, the EXT website shows the Storia as being available in 190.5 x 51mm, so sounds like a straight swap to get 133mm travel..?

Maybe the use of offset bushings is to fit a longer shock in the G13 to give 148mm travel..?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

And

195x57 Storia

The latter would deliver stock geo with the offset bushes but increase the rear travel.

My post above crossed cyberspace at the same time as @the_pilot - thanks for confirming situation

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

And

195x57 Storia

Thanks Pilot, that's exactly what I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Incidentally I understand the Geometron demo fleet is all fitted with Storia shocks so if you're anywhere near them you could always take one for a test ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    hey guys, I notice the Geometron demo fleet will be running RS Lyriks (with reduced offset) at Tweedlove in a couple of weeks. Is this a reflection on the performance of the 2019 Lyrik vs Fox 36?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you have the choice 42 assuming you have a 62 or lower HA on the G16 set up as 29.
    iPhone inclinometer says 63˚ HTA w/36RC2 @150mm
    (I've been too busy and lazy to bump the travel up to 160)
    (It's also a placeholder fork that needs to go back onto its proper bike.)
    29" F/R
    2 offset bushings.

Choice is either a Lyrik RC2 42mm 29 or Formula Selva 46mm 29 fork. The Formula is able to be configured in BOOST 20 axle. Lyrik has BOOST 15 w/ Torque caps or something. With the Lyrik I can order a longer DeBonAir spring and increase travel to 170mm. Formula I'm at 160 for the time being.

hey guys, I notice the Geometron demo fleet will be running RS Lyriks (with reduced offset) at Tweedlove in a couple of weeks. Is this a reflection on the performance of the 2019 Lyrik vs Fox 36?
    I think the relationship between MOJO and FOX has ended.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    iPhone inclinometer says 63˚ HTA w/36RC2 @150mm
    (I've been too busy and lazy to bump the travel up to 160)
    (It's also a placeholder fork that needs to go back onto its proper bike.)
    29" F/R
    2 offset bushings.

Choice is either a Lyrik RC2 42mm 29 or Formula Selva 46mm 29 fork. The Formula is able to be configured in BOOST 20 axle. Lyrik has BOOST 15 w/ Torque caps or something. With the Lyrik I can order a longer DeBonAir spring and increase travel to 170mm. Formula I'm at 160 for the time being.

I think the relationship between MOJO and FOX has ended.
    GeoMetron can still get and fit Fox. The Lyrik is a reflection of both inherent performance but also the ability to secure it in shorter offsets for both wheelsizes.

They used to do that for customers anyway with Fox forks by ordering CSUís from the smaller wheelsize forks but that became more and more difficult even when still Mojo with Fox supply chain.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    GeoMetron can still get and fit Fox. The Lyrik is a reflection of both inherent performance but also the ability to secure it in shorter offsets for both wheelsizes.

They used to do that for customers anyway with Fox forks by ordering CSUís from the smaller wheelsize forks but that became more and more difficult even when still Mojo with Fox supply chain.

I wonder how the Lyrik's bushings hold up in comparison to the 36's? I suspect that the Lyrik is more flexible too, perhaps I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gmt198 View Post
    I wonder how the Lyrik's bushings hold up in comparison to the 36's? I suspect that the Lyrik is more flexible too, perhaps I'm wrong.
    Perhaps one of the elements with Fox bushings is manufacturing tolerances...something Fox could do better on given the apparent variability between forks/users. Just a thought.

I have no current experience of the Lyriks.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Hi, after some help if poss, I have the 2017 geometron(but says ION on brace) g16 but with 73mm bottom bracket and boost rear but I keep destroying mechs. Looking down at the chainline it seems to be way off, putting massive sideways pull, could you advise how to achieve the best chainline regarding cranks and chainring, thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Do you have a BOOST chainring installed? Crankset?
    Massive sideways pull in which direction; inboard or outboard?
    Is the derailleur hanger straight?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Hi, new hanger and mech with sram boost chainring. The pull is towards the wheel. I have tried spacing out bb but still no joy. Cranks are sram eagle gx boost. Thanks again. It looks to me I would need 4 bb spacers drive side to get somewhere near

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cabage_cat View Post
    Hi, new hanger and mech with sram boost chainring. The pull is towards the wheel. I have tried spacing out bb but still no joy. Cranks are sram eagle gx boost. Thanks again. It looks to me I would need 4 bb spacers drive side to get somewhere near
    Can you determine on which cog the chainline is straight?

The 83mm B.B. doesnít play so nice with 12sp but 73mm is fine.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Hi I would say lowest or smallest cogs for best line but never really straight. The chain seems to pull the mech inwards on a curve towards the wheel. Trying to upload a pic

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Name:  mech 2.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  33.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by cabage_cat View Post
    Hi I would say lowest or smallest cogs for best line but never really straight. The chain seems to pull the mech inwards on a curve towards the wheel. Trying to upload a pic

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast