Nicolai Helius-ST galmor shots- Mtbr.com
    Err
    Calm like a bomb

Nicolai Helius-ST galmor shots

So got the last piece of the puzzle today to have her already for the Whistler trip so had to shine her up and post a pic.

From last season I've -
    replaced the DHX5 w/ti coil with a CCDB w/ti coil
    re-laced the wheels with supercomp spokes, removed all stickers
    replaced the red frame stickers with white
    removed all but the silver bomber stickers on the fork
    replaced my Thomson post and BelAir saddle with a lighter I-Beam/BelAir SL combo
    replaced Atomlab stem with a Thomson X4
    replaced Diabolous bars with Gravity Lite
    replaced the PG970 cassette with a PG980.
    replaced Atomlab Aircorp pedals with trailkings
    And threw on some fresh DH rubber - 2.5 Minion/Highroller combo for resort and 2.4 Advantages for AM/FR. Both setup tubeless.

With the 1300g tires she's right at 39lbs, right at 37lbs with the Advantages. Got her setup at the 7" front and rear settings with the HT dialed in at exactly 68 deg, BB just a hair under 14". She owns the corners.

Pics ofcourse...

I think this will be her last trip to Whistler and the Shore. I get bored easy so going to sell her off after this trip and start on a new project. Hard to say if it's possible to build another bike that will work this well for me.

BTW, the CCDB is INSANE good! Never knew what I was missing...

mtbr member
    Now that is a sick bike! What size frame is that?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    Now that is a sick bike! What size frame is that?
    Thanks, its been a labor of love. She's a Medium.

keystone addict
    I want to make out with your bike

I kinda wish my brakes actually worked, but I guess that just makes me faster, right?

mtbr member
    Looks so sickkkk dude, Im hella diggin the black with no stickers look thats how imma run myne for the most part.

Just roll it......
    Err,

Looking good mang! You're selling that rig? Boredom is one thing, but that mofo's a beaut!

Hey, let's plan to shred on Friday of next week. Does your extended trip mean more days in whistler or the shore?

EB

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Err,

Looking good mang! You're selling that rig? Boredom is one thing, but that mofo's a beaut!

Hey, let's plan to shred on Friday of next week. Does your extended trip mean more days in whistler or the shore?

EB
    I rode her on Moose tonight with the shock now totally dialed and big tires. She's so stuck to the ground now, even the bottom of the trail felt slow. Can't wait to hit Whistler.

I'm thinkin:
    Thurs - Whistler
    Fri - Whistler
    Sat - Sqamish
    Sun - Woodlot
    Mon - Fromme or Cyprus?
    Tues -Seymour?

I did extend my hotel through Fri night at Whistler now so will be there atleast until Sat AM.

oh Jolina!!!

Wow!!!

WOW!!!!

can i use the pics for wallpaper on my desktop?
    this is the first time i got a hard-on just looking at a bike.

yaha ha
    schwing! looks like an anorexic bottle rocket. suuper clean bike man

moaaar shimz
    Anyone care to join me on Whistler next Saturday?

Meh.
    While you guys are up at Whistler, if you see a guy in 661 armor and a blue/white full face on a blue Coiler with the POS Drop-Off fork and some 4 pot XTs, tell him he's a punk. Oh... then tell him you know Will, but he's still a punk. Heh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaero
    WOW!!!!

can i use the pics for wallpaper on my desktop?
    this is the first time i got a hard-on just looking at a bike.
    It will cost you 10 bucks, just post your credit card number on here and then you can use it. :P

Me hates pinchflat

why would you everr sell that...
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

Some Assembly Required
    Siiiiccc....fight th' A.D.D. and hold on to that one Holmz. I love "blacked out bikes".
    That thing is B-A-D, BAD.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Your retarded
    Err, man, I'm not so sure you should get rid of her. I know that whatever you replace her with will be equally awesome, but few can build a bike as well as you've built this one. I'd say keep it.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Apr 2007
    Err,

Have to say that is one of the most beautiful bikes I think I have ever seen, congrats!

ps: Just outta interest, is it in good condition and how much would you be looking to sell for?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Full specs on the build since its generated a bit of interest -
    Frame - Nicolai Helius-ST ano black, adj travel and geometry
    Shock - Cane Creek Double Barrell, Ti Spring
    Fork - 66 SL
    Headset - King Steelset
    Stem - Thomson X4, 50 mm
    Bars - Gravity Lite
    Brakes - Hope Mono M4 w/floating rotors 8", 7"
    Shifter - X9
    Grips - Intense lock-on
    Seat - BelAir-SL
    Post - I-Beam
    Clamp - Hope QR
    Cranks - Race Face Atlas
    BB - Diabolous
    Pedals - Atomlab trailking
    Guide - Gamut P20
    Chain - PC 970
    Cassette - PG 990
    Derailure - X9, short cage
    Rims - Mavic ex823
    Spokes - DT Supercomp
    Nipples - DT Alloy
    Fr Hub - Hadley 20 mm
    Rr Hub - Hadley 135x12, 72pt
    Tires - 2.5 Minion/Highroller for DH, 2.4 Advantages for AM/FR

I have ideas rollin' around in my head about the next build though. Little tweaks here and there. Overall this bike has been rock solid though. The pivot bearings are smooth and free of play as they were from the beginning.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowpug
    Err,

Have to say that is one of the most beautiful bikes I think I have ever seen, congrats!

ps: Just outta interest, is it in good condition and how much would you be looking to sell for?
    Been trying to put a number on it. Everything is in good condition but has been ridden. The shock has only been on a couple weeks, same for the saddle, tires, spokes and a few other bits. She'll come ready to ride. I'm thinking $2500. For reference, list on just a new frame w/shock would be about $3000.

Aug 2006
    its sad to see such a beautiful bike go....but cant help but askin....whats your new project gonna be?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler8
    its sad to see such a beautiful bike go....but cant help but askin....whats your new project gonna be?
    Not 100% sure yet. Got a couple frames in mind. Knolly's at the top of the list but will also bee keen to see what Nicolai unveils at this year's Interbike. Maybe it's time to build that G-Boxx...

Chumley for prez!
    man that is a sweet bike....you should have no problem unloading that for 2500. If it were a large i would be all over it .
    what knolly you thinking about? d-t or v-tach? Either way i am sure it will be pimped to the 9's. yes i am jealous.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    man that is a sweet bike....you should have no problem unloading that for 2500. If it were a large i would be all over it .
    what knolly you thinking about? d-t or v-tach? Either way i am sure it will be pimped to the 9's. yes i am jealous.
    Considering both the DT and the V-Tach. I've ridden both and really like both but probably leaning more towards the DT for the 16.4" chainstays.

keystone addict
    how do you like those brakes? thinkin of gettin some...
    I kinda wish my brakes actually worked, but I guess that just makes me faster, right?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    how do you like those brakes? thinkin of gettin some...
    They're fantastic. Modulate very well, have plenty of power, lever return is positive. They don't fade, they don't require frequent bleeding, bleeding is easy. They're light. Tried a lot of brakes, nothing else I've tried is as good.

a tight kick sound
    Awwwh mannnnn That baby looks soooo nice! Why you wanna get rid of er?
    I guess she is a little steep though at 68 degrees for a 7x7 and its purposes.
    If you are lookin for short chainstays yet stout and fun...gotta say the UFO ST
    is one killer ride!!
    On the other hand, with the small UFO it might be a bit redundant. Second thought
    you don't want a UFO ST they are not that great ...
    Lookin good bro! Have fun up North!!!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Awwwh mannnnn That baby looks soooo nice! Why you wanna get rid of er?
    I guess she is a little steep though at 68 degrees for a 7x7 and its purposes.
    If you are lookin for short chainstays yet stout and fun...gotta say the UFO ST
    is one killer ride!!
    On the other hand, with the small UFO it might be a bit redundant. Second thought
    you don't want a UFO ST they are not that great ...
    Lookin good bro! Have fun up North!!!
    I actually love the 68 deg HT. I'm not personally a fan of slack freeride bikes, don't like the slow handling. I can slack her out more, easily go 67.5 or 67.0 by tweaking the shuttle but I don't like the way it feels even on some of the steeeeeeeeep trails we have around here.

There's not really anything wrong with this bike now, guess that's the problem. She's tweaked to perfection, time to move on to a new challenge

Apr 2007
    Err, what does it weigh in at and what is the ETT?

TIA.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That is a sweet bike! Sad to see it go but will be looking forward to another one of your projects. P.S. make sure you post pics of whistler!
    P.P.S. To guy who posted above me he said the weight is around 37 with advantage tires and 39 with 1300g tires

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowpug
    Err, what does it weigh in at and what is the ETT?

TIA.
    39lbs (actually 38.91 lbs at this very moment with 1300g DH tires). Advantages are 850g so she's a bit under 37 lbs with AM tires. I've run 650g single ply Kendas with the DTC compound but they're really only great for really long rides where you want it as light as possible.

The actual top tube length is 21.5". The effective top tube length is 23.2". Nicolai uses a rather slack 67.2 deg ST angle so that you can have all 8" of travel without interrupting the seat tube. It also means that the cockpit is nice and open for climbing but shortens up when you slam the seat for DH. I'm 5'8" with a long torso, short legs and it works well for me. I can get the seat completely out of the way for the steeps and at the same time, I've pedaled this bike on 25 mile + rides that include hours of climbing.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    What a machine... Old thread I know, but I saw this on E-bay. Same bike Err? :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nicolai-Helius-S...QQcmdZViewItem

mtbr member
    May 2006

Thems fightin words,no really

Quote Originally Posted by snowforner15
    schwing! looks like an anorexic bottle rocket. suuper clean bike man
    Please tell me your not really saying that a Transtion ANYTHING let alone Bottle Rocket is more of a bike than this or ANY Nicolai.ERR kid that MoFo is nasty nasty nasty.Where was this baby five years ago when I was throwing myself off of stupid big sh!t.I'm sure that baby pedals like its 33 pounds.I'm shocked your so happy with the CCDB(I mean I know that shock is the best on the market)I just know that the CCDB on the FR was WAY TO STIFF.Bro sick bike,if your selling it to get on another bike I'll let you only if the bike is another Nicolai,or a Knolly.HaHa,no really if you sell that baby and buy anything other than those two,I'll be sick. CF...

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    What a machine... Old thread I know, but I saw this on E-bay. Same bike Err? :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nicolai-Helius-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Yep, that's my old frame. But, not my build. I had it tweaked out with a bunch of higher-end parts.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Yep, that's my old frame. But, not my build. I had it tweaked out with a bunch of higher-end parts.
    Yeah, the only way I could tell is the frame and shock set-up, as the other parts weren't nearly as pimp as your initial build...

Members who have read this thread: 0