nicolai helius cc with coil shocks ???- Mtbr.com
    wyrd bi ful rd

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! nicolai helius cc with coil shocks ???

Has anyone used a coil shock on a cc? DHX 5c?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I don't know of anyone but I can't believe there would be a problem. Do you have a specific concern?

wyrd bi ful rd
    It is my understanding that air shocks are a bit more plush and coil a bit raw with a slightly more travel over the same type of condition. I have noticed that coil shocks are usually used on longer travel frames and so for a helius cc with up to 129mm, will a coil shock bottom out more often over hard hits? And the main question is whether a coil will in fact install at all?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Chinaman -

Ok, first up, yes a coil shock will fit.

As for performance, you actually have that backwards. Coil shocks are generally superior at displaying the characteristics that most people refer to as "plush". Specifically, they offer excellent small bump compliance, rarely wallow mid-stroke, and offer superior bottom-out resistance.

Air shocks have been getting better all the time but they are still lagging behind the best of the coil options. The biggest complaint most people have is that air shocks can tend to wallow mid-stroke and then bottom-out too easily. Attempts to resolve this via tuning often ends up in sacrificing small bump compliance. The '08 offerings from Fox have reportedly gone a long way toward resolving the issues of riding to low in their travel. The '07 Marz Rocco Air has also received positive reviews and a quick parking lot test of the new Rocco TST Air indicates that it will be a top performing air shock.

Hope this helps.

If you need a coil shock and the hardware to mount it up just shoot me an email or a PM and I can get whatever you need.
    Last edited by Err; 08-22-2007 at 08:26 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Rp23

Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    It is my understanding that air shocks are a bit more plush and coil a bit raw with a slightly more travel over the same type of condition. I have noticed that coil shocks are usually used on longer travel frames and so for a helius cc with up to 129mm, will a coil shock bottom out more often over hard hits? And the main question is whether a coil will in fact install at all?
    I run a RP23 and its to die for.I've said it many times around here,I never ever can answer the question which bike is better the FR or the CC.I think more times than none I seem to lean towards the CC(and again its air ) not coil.CF..

trail fairy
    Nice stuff Err

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    I run a RP23 and its to die for.I've said it many times around here,I never ever can answer the question which bike is better the FR or the CC.I think more times than none I seem to lean towards the CC(and again its air ) not coil.CF..
    CF I guess that comes down to the type of riding youre doing on each bike
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

wyrd bi ful rd
    Err ... cheers. At least I know who to look if I need to get some hardware.

wyrd bi ful rd

2005 Helius CC

Has anyone got a 2005 Helius cc frame and you have used it with a longer travel fork than recommended? From the 2005 catalog it is recommended for forks from 100mm to 125mm.

Planning to get a second hand 2005 frame and wanting to use a 140mm fork with it.

Just that from the 2006 and 2007 catalogs, the max travel for the Helius cc went up to 130mm then to 140mm.

And is it possible to fit a larger disc rotors than recommended as well. Recommended 165mm: Can a 180mm fit?
    Last edited by chinaman; 09-07-2007 at 09:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    bigger discs than 160mm would fit, but unless you use reinforced seatstays (factory option) it voids your guaranty.

it depends on what fork you want to use. nicolai gives a axle-crown-height-limitation (sorry for that word ) for their frames. so some forks with the same travel are ok and some dont.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    ... Chinaman - Ok, first up, yes a coil shock will fit ...
    BTW just received this ... together with the hardware ...

20070927 manitou swinger 4 way 200mm E2E 50mm stroke mtbr forum.jpg

Dont have the bike fully kitted out yet so cannot tell how the shock will be ... have you tried out a manitou before? Cheers.

Members who have read this thread: 0