Nicolai Finally Up & Running- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,683

    Nicolai Finally Up & Running

    Well after the Whistler trip and British Airways loosing my bike for a week The steed is up and running ready for tomorrow at Vallnord...

    The airlines bent the rear disk in half, cant even fathom how that could happen.... So replaced the disk, thanks to Chain Reaction Cycles for having one in stock..... Changed the brake pads front & rear..... Got the Totem sorted, so last night, finally managed to play charades and explain that I needed a new schrader valve stem, along with the tool to remove it... Ended up getting some 20 valve cores. Changed the valve on the Totem, and all was good, cleaned out the seals etc. Will give the fork a strip down soon....

    Have thrown on a new rear tyre, chewed the last Minion out. Am happy as a pig in shiat with the Minions, have always liked them. Went with a 2.7 on the rear, which is equiv to around a 2.5 on most other tyres...

    Gave the steed a good clean and she is ready to go...

    Bareclona more or less shuts down in August, went to the 2 largest bike stores, both closed, suck, couldnt get what I needed for the Mob... Will try for stuff in Andorra tomorrow, some stuff is quite cheap there, being a tax free country n all.....

    Am a happy camper again, if you hadnt noticed....

    Few pics of the clean machine, one of a spanky new disk rota and the Mob, all lonely on the side board... Should have been riding this DJ bike today, oh well, try again next week...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    538
    Looks real good bro.. not get that fawker dirty....

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    418
    sweet rig broham

  4. #4
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,683
    It will get all dirtied up in the morning, thats why we clean the steeds, to get em filthy again..... All good.... We have had rain here in Spain, so be fun tomorrow.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  5. #5
    BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,537
    glad you got your bike back dude... very glad...

  6. #6
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,683
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    glad you got your bike back dude... very glad...
    Cheers bro, I am truly stoked also, was a little stressed to be honest.... All good now, fixed it up and good to go in the morning........Looking forward to heading to the bike park...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    212
    Do you need some sort of special hub for that bike? With the disc on the other side and all?

  8. #8
    Just roll it......
    Reputation: ebxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,618
    Looks good, Whafe. Good to have the bike sorted again, eh? Have fun in Vallnord.

    I just put some new bits on the big bike today as well. Looks to rain tomorrow so we may do an xc day instead...but it's ready to roll.

    Cheers!
    EB

  9. #9
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,683
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle-mofo
    Do you need some sort of special hub for that bike? With the disc on the other side and all?
    mofo, sure do, it is a Nicolai hub. When you remove the wheel the rear sproket and brake disk stay behind on the frame so to speak..... This is great, can build a wheel with no dish, strong as an Ox.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  10. #10
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,683
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Looks good, Whafe. Good to have the bike sorted again, eh? Have fun in Vallnord.

    I just put some new bits on the big bike today as well. Looks to rain tomorrow so we may do an xc day instead...but it's ready to roll.

    Cheers!
    EB
    Spill the beans bro, what did you put on Gran Mal???
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  11. #11
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Great to hear the family is back together, Ride On
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dowst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,705
    Too bad the airlines didn't completely screw up and send the bike to my address...

    that rig is mad crazy

  13. #13
    Just roll it......
    Reputation: ebxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Spill the beans bro, what did you put on Gran Mal???
    Fork - 66 RC2X
    Stem - Transition Temple (going from 1.5 to 1 1/8)
    BB and headset bearing (lower)

    I've just got to install new DU bushings and shock reducers and she'll be ready for Kamloops and Blue River next week. I was hoping for a ride today, but it's raining so we'll probably do some XC and trailwork instead.

    Cheers,
    EB
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,746
    You're taste in bikes is spectacular. I have always liked Nicolai, but don't have the guts to get one ride unseen... Anyway, I noticed the MOB frame. I got the red as well and have built it up to a very nice spec... It is my parking lot play bike and haven't had the guts to jump or skatepark it. (Ankle problems and crappy work schedule) My build is as follows:

    RS Argyle 409 reduced to 3 inches. Campy headset
    BlkMrkt Underboss stem flipped with 3 inch white BadaBing bars. S&M logo grips.
    Saint brakes and levers, front and rear.
    SDG I-beam post and seat. (Switching out soon for Macneil Pivotal set-up)
    Profile 175's chrome with 28t S&M Tuffman sprocket. Half-link chain. 13t rear cog.
    36h Hadley's laced to Atomlab Trail Pimps with Maxxis Holy Rollers.

    I am 6ft 2in tall and the 22tt frame feels perfect. Sitting at 30lbs. Definately a BMX feel to it, but the way it handles, turns, manuals ect. ect. is VERY impressive. You will be Stoked. Cheers.

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    596
    Looking good!

  16. #16
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,546
    Looks great EB, I love that fork, 66 Rc2X rulz
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  17. #17
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    You're taste in bikes is spectacular. I have always liked Nicolai, but don't have the guts to get one ride unseen... Anyway, I noticed the MOB frame. I got the red as well and have built it up to a very nice spec... It is my parking lot play bike and haven't had the guts to jump or skatepark it. (Ankle problems and crappy work schedule) My build is as follows:

    RS Argyle 409 reduced to 3 inches. Campy headset
    BlkMrkt Underboss stem flipped with 3 inch white BadaBing bars. S&M logo grips.
    Saint brakes and levers, front and rear.
    SDG I-beam post and seat. (Switching out soon for Macneil Pivotal set-up)
    Profile 175's chrome with 28t S&M Tuffman sprocket. Half-link chain. 13t rear cog.
    36h Hadley's laced to Atomlab Trail Pimps with Maxxis Holy Rollers.

    I am 6ft 2in tall and the 22tt frame feels perfect. Sitting at 30lbs. Definately a BMX feel to it, but the way it handles, turns, manuals ect. ect. is VERY impressive. You will be Stoked. Cheers.
    Sweet looking build on the Mob Uncle Cliff, I will run a similar build, have got the Blk Mrkt seat post and seat, with Atom Lab Pimp wheels..... Will more than likely run with Profile cranks, bar and stem still deciding. Was going to run with Deity cranks, stem, bars etc, but no one here stocks the Deity stuff, and they no longer make cranks in black...

    Cool to see you using a half link chain, seriously cool looking chains.... Been looking at the Shadow Conspiracy half link chains and other kit....

    All shops are closed here in Barcelona at present, summer, pain in the butt...

    Am only putting a rear brake on at present. Picked up a 06 Magura Marta brake cheap, so am running with that, keeps all my brakes in the Magura family, easier for me to repair etc and work on....

    Yeah, the Nicolai is a great steed, had a blast on it yesterday in Andorra at Vallnord Bike Park...... This park is a lot different to Whistler, loads different....

    Cheers for sharing your build, sweet....... Can you bang a picture up of your Mob, be keen to see it...

    EB, the Mal looks hot, enjoy that Italian fork...................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  18. #18
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Cheers for sharing your build, sweet....... Can you bang a picture up of your Mob, be keen to see it...
    Here ya go... I posted in the DJ/Park forum and got schooled in the install of the half link chain. I guess I have it on backwards...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Here ya go... I posted in the DJ/Park forum and got schooled in the install of the half link chain. I guess I have it on backwards...
    Looks Mint.... Great looking bike..... I never saw it in the DJ/Park forum, not that that means anything...

    Makes me keener to get mine up and running... Will go with the Holy Rollers as well, have them on the way..... Mine will have a Marz 4X fork... They will look similar for sure.... All good...........

    Looking forward to learning to hone my DJ skills again...................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  20. #20
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,931
    love the camo
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  21. #21
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,539
    Looks good Whafe, just spent the weekend getting mine dirty in Jackson, WY. Good riding up there.

    Diggin' the 66 EBX!

  22. #22
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Looks good Whafe, just spent the weekend getting mine dirty in Jackson, WY. Good riding up there.

    Diggin' the 66 EBX!
    Yeah, dirtied her up again at Vallnord, pissed me off, the top lift was not working, needs a repair, wish they told me at the bottom... Oh well,

    Sheesh was a way different place to ride compared to Whistler, Whistler is a groomed wonderland, Vallnord is techy and way harder to be honest. Will be imteresting when a round of the DH WC is at Vallnord. Phew, will be a spectacle for sure....


    You buggers have good riding everywhere, did you get some pics?
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  23. #23

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    107
    That bike looks da nuts. After much faffing around trying to decide how much I couldn't afford to buy a Nicolai I'm gonna have to save up and get a Helius FR. They just look better than anything else out there. I read your earlier threads regarding service and congratulate you on your patience. Enjoy it.

  24. #24
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,683
    Quote Originally Posted by vintage
    That bike looks da nuts. After much faffing around trying to decide how much I couldn't afford to buy a Nicolai I'm gonna have to save up and get a Helius FR. They just look better than anything else out there. I read your earlier threads regarding service and congratulate you on your patience. Enjoy it.
    Thanks for the positive comments, was indeed a test of ones patience. Easy to say worth it now though. But have to be honest and say that the constant communication with Blacksheep Cycles and Toni (Err) helped me hugely..... If they were front bums it would have really sent me over the edge, but they are far from front bums...

    I think it would be worth while to save up for one, bang through a PM to Crazy Fred, he will give you some words on the Helius, he has 2 Helius bikes....

    If you are going to build a Helius, start a vintage Helius build thread in the custom man are, so then we can keep up with the progress etc and share your excitement... It would also be worth you while to chew the fat with Err about your build, if you want an honest dude not just trying to seel you sh!t but keen for you to have the dream bike....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  25. #25
    I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Reputation: MintSauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Fork - 66 RC2X
    Stem - Transition Temple (going from 1.5 to 1 1/8)
    BB and headset bearing (lower)
    Glad to see you finally put a worthy fork on her....Manitou
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

  26. #26
    Just roll it......
    Reputation: ebxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,618
    Quote Originally Posted by MintSauce
    Glad to see you finally put a worthy fork on her....Manitou
    Yeah, the Travis is going on ebay next week along with a dozen other bike parts.

    The 'zocchi is getting a proper break-in this weekend on a trip to the BC interior.

    EB

  27. #27
    I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Reputation: MintSauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    a trip to the BC interior.
    EB
    I'm jealous
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

  28. #28
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,683
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Yeah, the Travis is going on ebay next week along with a dozen other bike parts.

    The 'zocchi is getting a proper break-in this weekend on a trip to the BC interior.

    EB
    Sweet, that means pictures for us, feed the stoke to us and its all good.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.