Nicolai direct sales- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Nicolai direct sales

With the implementation of direct sales at Nicolai are people simply ordering their Nicolai's for themselves now?

Is there any reason to use a dealer these days?

I am just about to order a custom Nicolai and wondered what experience people have had of the direct sales especially with a custom frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    On my end, it is much better to order direct, you will get their full quality service as well as the getting the correct and or recommended parts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The only concern is how will the shipping and import taxes will go. That is the downside I see with direct shipping.

yet another stupid german
    - If ordering a custom geo I would deal direct. direect communication is key in that case...

otherwise it would depend from which country you are ordering...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ordering from UK but don't want to get hit with a large import duty if I can avoid it!

yet another stupid german
    AFAIK UK belongs to EU so ordering direkt in Germany should have no duties/taxes...

I've ordered computer hardware in UK to Germany, no probs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Scarlet, there are no duties and taxes to pay additionally when ordering from the UK, they are paid as part of the cost in the country of origin and this is accepted in the EU.

Dealing direct is not a problem, however you may find there is some competition amongst dealers on price.

That doesn't preclude you having direct discussions on specification etc. but Nicolai direct will be a retail price as you would expect.

I think with the increased exposure and success we have seen in the UK over the last 2 years with increased publicity etc and the collaborations with UK riders and companies the situation may change in the future to enable better/faster/easier support to be provided to riders in terms of spares/technical support and dealer support and to support dealers, to make test bikes available and provide further advice on custom elements etc. potentially also to reduce lead times on bikes that are not full custom. We shall see....
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks Pilot. My nearest Nicolai dealer is several hours drive away so it doesn't matter which one I use if I go that way. As for back up well my 2013 Helius has had one change of bushings in 2.5 years and most of those didn't really need it. The most reliable robust bike I have ever owned and I am really looking forward to the next one!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I agree in that sense but for example I trashed a mech hanger the other day. Used my spare. Now need another.
    There may be retrofit upgrades available you could be interested in or you might bend break something in a crash e.g a seat stay or something. It would be unusual for sure but who knows!
    Some people have older models they might need technical advice on for shock mount bush size.
    I don't know how things will work what is certain is no duty if you order direct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aka chainline...