Nicolai 29er???- Mtbr.com

Thread: Nicolai 29er???

mtbr member
    May 2006

Nicolai 29er???

I'm on this really big 29er kick lately and looking at the Turner,Titus,Ventana,ect, and in doing so its getting quite painful.Why? beacuse I don't nor do I want to own a 26er from any of those guys,so what makes me think a 29er from one of these guys will be any better.So what do I like? what do I ride? NICOLAI right? yes but no 29er from Nicolai,does anyone think,see, or wish a Nicolai 29er will come anytime soon?Like a 29in CC ya or na? CF..

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I thought that they were making a couple 29r Argon's if you have room in your stable for a hardtail.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I'm sure they'll make you one but if you're going 29er you might as well go full rigid. We've got a custom Strong steel 29'er at the shop with an Indy Fab rigid fork, bunch of ti and carbon components. It's wicked fun for a 29er. I mean, they feel like poo when you jump 'em but the big wheels coupled with a steel frame make for an amazing ride, almost like having 1" of suspension.

But aluminum 29'er hardtail, ugh, sounds hateful, punishing, brutal.

But then why would you take a freerider's advice on 29'ers?

mtbr member
    If they make 5" X 5" 29er', Trail / AM bike I would order one first thing tomorow morning, Always wanted Nicolai.

mtbr member
    May 2006

So you agree than yes?

Quote Originally Posted by poppy
    If they make 5" X 5" 29er', Trail / AM bike I would order one first thing tomorow morning, Always wanted Nicolai.
    Like a 4-5" CC 29er,that would be a sweet ride.CF.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy
    They can do the Nonius CC in 29er. If you're interested, just shoot me a note or give me a call and we can firm up the details. 704-562-4168

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Like a 4-5" CC 29er,that would be a sweet ride.CF.
    Agree

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    They can do the Nonius CC in 29er. If you're interested, just shoot me a note or give me a call and we can firm up the details. 704-562-4168

Check your PM Box ..

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Interesting.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Hey Err.

What's that suspension design? single? I would for sure need a Helius like horst link 29er.I hate to say it but I may be selling the CC to fund this 29er project.I'm leaning Niner,Ventana,and the Sultan.Worst case I sell the 29er and build up a new CC in red.Any takers on my CC pm me.You won't find a more pimped out clean a$$ Nicolai CC,over $6200.00 invested.CF..Sorry for semi spam

"Its All Good"
    What's that suspension design? single? I would for sure need a Helius like horst link 29er.I hate to say it but I may be selling the CC to fund this 29er project.I'm leaning Niner,Ventana,and the Sultan.Worst case I sell the 29er and build up a new CC in red.Any takers on my CC pm me.You won't find a more pimped out clean a$$ Nicolai CC,over $6200.00 invested.CF..Sorry for semi spam
    C Fred, are we at a stage where by wheels etc are stong enough to cope with a 5 inch travel 29er, are forks at that level yet also....

I too am sure tech will ge there....

Then my mind casts to the fact that, can a 29er work well as a FR or light FR type steed....

CF, why dont you buy my Nucleon TFR GBoxx, that way I can get a Nucleon TST GBoxx....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Err
    Calm like a bomb

How much you want for the CC and what size is it?

Whafe - ready to give up the TFR for a bigger bike? Whistler got to ya eh?

mtbr member
    May 2006

WOW you just scared the sh!t out of me.

It just hit me the thought of really letting the CC go does and would make me sick.I don't have to tell how unreal of a bike the Nicolai CC truly is.In fact on most days I struggle to answer the question what bike is better the FR or the CC,and I do mean STRUGGLE.Haveing said that its a size Med.as for the price that really really hard,more so because you are a Nicolai dealer or can get them as cheap as me(or less).Which is still in no way cheap let me make that very clear.I think I could talk someone getting me a frame and fork,and we could talk me droping the CC frame and fork ect,ect.type of thing.In other words I'd let the CC go for cost if I can get into a new 29er frame and fork for cost.Which any 29er frame that I'm interested in is still less at cost than ANY Nicolai.Did that make any sence?CF.

"Its All Good"

Always have to look at options. Just thinking out loud............ Not just Whistler at all, the terrain here at the lift assisted parks also has me thinking.

Thinking thinking thinking.............
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Always have to look at options. Just thinking out loud............ Not just Whistler at all, the terrain here at the lift assisted parks also has me thinking.

Thinking thinking thinking.............

Got my eye on this beast, the replacement for the M-Pire -

a tight kick sound
    Holy CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    this thread is CRAZYYYYYYYYYYY

CF selling is super ultra sick-soptaskic-funkafied-pimpinblingon-nicolaifiled CC?

WHAT.??????????

29er Nicolai possible....Holy Jesus my head is spinning right now.

CF

mtbr member
    May 2006

It aint over till its over.

Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Holy CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    this thread is CRAZYYYYYYYYYYY

CF selling is super ultra sick-soptaskic-funkafied-pimpinblingon-nicolaifiled CC?

WHAT.??????????

29er Nicolai possible....Holy Jesus my head is spinning right now.

CF
    Nothing is for sure.except for the fact I'm freaking out right now someone help!!!!! I just stripped a star bolt changing rotors over(the last bolt of course)its on ny BRAND NEW RED I9 FRONT HUB,AM I [email protected]???OR CAN THIS BE REMOVED???HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

a tight kick sound
    Dang
    Chill yo! It can be fixed.
    You may need to go to the shop that you work with and talk to the guys about some bits
    that will drill into those bolts and allow you to reverse thread them out.

This is not something I would want to do but you are def not [email protected]!

Be slow with those bolts, they strip real easy

mtbr member
    May 2006

Sorry for the melt down.

Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Dang
    Chill yo! It can be fixed.
    You may need to go to the shop that you work with and talk to the guys about some bits
    that will drill into those bolts and allow you to reverse thread them out.

This is not something I would want to do but you are def not [email protected]!

Be slow with those bolts, they strip real easy
    OK,I'm better now Its all set,my buddie next door cut out a grove with a dremal and turn it out with a regular head screw driver. Also I'm out of meds,so again I'm sorry.thanks boone.CF..BTW keep this between us please,I'm not allowed to touch tools per order of the courts.

a tight kick sound
    HAAHAHAAHAHa...I know exactly what ya mean!
    I made a damn good mess of a brand new set of cranks one time...I figured out how that self-extracting sh1t works the hard way.

Damn nice to have friends in machine shops!! Or at least friends with patients

"Its All Good"
    Just looking back on this thread, one of the very first once we got our Nicolai forum.

Go the FS 29ers..... Yeah baby....

Fat & Single
    Resorted to PIVOT 429 .... patiently waiting on Nic 29 !
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

Nicolai
    ..... Ac 29... argon 29... Nonius 29... wats next :~P

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by AttitudeBikes
    ..... Ac 29... argon 29... Nonius 29... wats next :~P
    Are you having a go mate ??? I wont pay no custom prices for bikes that will come mainstrean sooner or later .

Im fully aware of Nicolai's 29er efforts !!!!!!!
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

"Its All Good"
    Ozzy, the 429 is a well underated bike in my opinion, have a riding buddy with one, great bike....

Yeah the AC 29er will be mainstream soon, if not already.......

Come across the ditch mate and we can go play on the AC29...

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"

CF, I totally understand your frustration!

I'd hold off on the Niner for now if I were you. I'm not sold on my WFO at this time. I like it's solid build, geometry, and stable handling. It definately has some things going for it but the CVA suspension design is turning out to be as finicky as my old VPP bike. Sag it at the wrong spot and under-damp it and it climbs real funky. Set the sag right and run alot of low speed compression damping and it climbs like a champ but at the cost of a plush downhill run.

I've had alot of luck with Horst bikes in the past. Seem to be the best all-arounders I've ridden. I just wish there was some good hearty 6" 29er versions available. Nicolai would probably fit that bill real nice. Never ridden one, but looking at their stable, they look pretty stout! Norco has an interesting 140mm 29er comming out in 2011, not to send you away from this board.

For now, money is tight to jump ship on my WFO at this time. I'm working out the sweet spot for the sag and damping rates as we speak and will make the best of it this season. Hopefully in 2011 we'll have some quality long travel 29er frames and forks to pick from. Long travel 29er has me spoiled!

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Ozzy, the 429 is a well underated bike in my opinion, have a riding buddy with one, great bike....

Yeah the AC 29er will be mainstream soon, if not already.......

Come across the ditch mate and we can go play on the AC29...
    After experiencing VIC's trails, im dead keen to get out and about , i would absolutely love to get over to NZ for few weeks riding .... but the missus would have a different agenda . But if i could get a boys riding trip for a week or 10 days organised , i'll definately let you know . Yous guys are spoiled over there !!!

Hey attitudebikes , i have just read my post again .... i didnt mean to sound ignorant mate i was just pointing out that i knew of the 29ers that they make already , just hate paying extras for frame tweaking .... rather spend it on ano and extra love

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For the record I posted this thread up THREE YEARS AGO.......ALOT has changed from than to now.....Like you couldn't GIVE me anyone of those bikes I was interested in at that time........I've got one of the top two BEST hardtail 29ers on the market (right now) and am waiting for what I belive to be (as do MANY others) a game changing 5in.29er in the Banshee Claymore........CF.

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"
    Reading some of the Claymore postings lately, it sounds like the Claymore is way out, maybe not even on the horizon yet. Sounds like they're just working out ideas as to which way to go at this point.

Fat & Single
    Yep , tell you better than that Fred , its only an up and coming thing here now ...... people are stopping me and saying "big wheels man, are they them the 29's ive read about" , and thats still as lately as last week ...april 2010 !

Its going to take a bit of time till people come round to it , but im noticing more club members off loading their blingy 26" for a 29 . The trails here in Oz just cry out for a big wheeled bike - hard, rocky, rooty and fast with nasty climbs.

"Its All Good"
    For the record I posted this thread up THREE YEARS AGO.......ALOT has changed from than to now.....Like you couldn't GIVE me anyone of those bikes I was interested in at that time........I've got one of the top two BEST hardtail 29ers on the market (right now) and am waiting for what I belive to be (as do MANY others) a game changing 5in.29er in the Banshee Claymore........CF.
    Hi ya Bro, the specs and thoughts on the Claymore look pretty good. Stoked also you are loving your current HT.... Just thought it would be cool to bring an old post back to life, was interesting reading a thread from 3 years ago... And what was a starting thought is now a reality so to speak....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    Reading some of the Claymore postings lately, it sounds like the Claymore is way out, maybe not even on the horizon yet. Sounds like they're just working out ideas as to which way to go at this point.
    The sooner I get on my prototype and give my feedback to Jay and Keith the sooner they will go into production...I was told not so long ago not to be surprised if it showed up on my doorstep shortly after Sea Otter......I think if Nicolai was to get a 140 Helius AM out on the market with a tapered ST they could really catch alot of other bike companys with their pants down so to speck....I will they that I know MANY guys (including myself) that are all set with the whole Nicolai wait, the U.S. dollar vs. the euro thing, the cost of shipping frames, how looooong it takes if you should ever have a problem with the frame to ship back anf forth..These are all VERY legit beefs I don't care how fraken nice a frame is....There are WAY WAY to many other nice options out there to have to deal with this..(not so much in the 140 crowd, but 100mm-120mm, BUT 140 is on the rise) This is of course ONLY my opinion..BTW Whafe I could not agree more about pulling up pld threads and I may of been a-tad over the top with my "Couldn't give me" comments......Just know and understand this boys, 29ers are here and are making LOTS OF NOISE....CF.....

Members who have read this thread: 0