Ion 16 effigear?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Ion 16 effigear?

So I'm seriously looking into buying a nicolai at the end of the summer and spotted a prototype effigear equipped ion 16 only to be then disheartened to find nicolai were not putting it into production for those in the know any any idea why this is the case seems odd they wouldn't equip one of their most popular bikes with a gearbox. Secondly and on a related note any reason why they've changed from pinion gear boxes?

mtbr member
    I also loved the idea of the ION16 Effigear, but i read somewhere Nicolai did extensive testing of the ION16 Effi prototype and it didn't appear to be "efficent" enough for them to justify production.

I think that's less a direct comment on the Effigear itself, but more its use in the ION16 form factor. Or perhaps the Effigear is just not quite there yet efficiency wise for smaller (than DH) bike applications.
    Last edited by starship303; 05-14-2015 at 04:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Further on from that, i remember where i read this info - this is a post from the Nicolai Ion16 Effigear Project FB page:

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Projet-...60200174112961

".... Based on the experience from the last two years with the Effigear gearbox we find that it is a great product for a downhill bike.

But because of various reasons such as efficency, kinematics etc. we will not build the gearbox into an ION 16.

We have had two prototypes and we were not fully happy with it.

Sorry that I can`t give you a positive feedback. ..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    @j.the.freerider
    why don't you get a cavalerie anakin. What nicolai says might be correct if you are riding competitively, but from my own (subjective) experience I can tell you that the effigear-box feels more efficent than a rohloff, which I also used on an enduro bike for several years. One of the great advantages - the bike is super quiet even on the roughest dh sections...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    double post
    Last edited by sejima; 06-24-2015 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There won't be an Effi Ion 16. There is now, as of Eurobike an Ion16 gearbox bike they are happy with.

There were a number of reasons they were not happy with the Effi for 'normal trail' use.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    There is new ION GPI with pinion gearbox:
    Exklusiv: Erste Bilder vom Nicolai ION GPI Enduro

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That's what I said and how I knew there wasn't going to be an Effi
    Test next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Please let us know what are your impressions. I am very interested in pinion gearbox.

Members who have read this thread: 3