Ion 16 Breaks Cover- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ion 16 Breaks Cover

If you go onto the Nicolai website, there is a picture that shows the Ion 16 is being launched at Eurobike, complete with zerostack head tube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Great! I knew it had to happen.

Here it is:
    comp P1060437ps2 Kopie - Fotoalbum auf MTB-News.de
    Last edited by loamranger; 08-20-2012 at 02:47 PM.

mtbr member
    With a 170mm fork that could be the perfect "one" bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    my perfect "one" bike is my helius am with 170mm lyrik...i hope they wont drop the helius am from the range when the ion 16 surfaces ... the ion looks crap imo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.juggles View Post
    . the ion looks crap imo.
    I can understand why you think that. If I was a better rider and could justify the extra bikes I'd happily own an Ion14 and 16.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How can you be sure this is the Ion 16 rather than an 18? It looks like the headset may be zerostack and i know that the top cup on this new head tube is definitely ZS44 rather than ZS56 (as that is what is coming on my frame) so that might be the give away.

Other than that, it looks pretty much like an Ion 18.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    How can you be sure this is the Ion 16 rather than an 18? It looks like the headset may be zerostack and i know that the top cup on this new head tube is definitely ZS44 rather than ZS56 (as that is what is coming on my frame) so that might be the give away.

Slight differences in the shock mounts to an Ion 18 so it might just be an Ion 16. But what would be the point?
    Ion 16 Breaks Cover-medium_vectorair_0006.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Slight differences in the shock mounts to an Ion 18 so it might just be an Ion 16. But what would be the point?
    Aha, well spotted. What would be the point in an Ion 16? I'm not sure but they're definitely working on it and I suspect there will be other changes to other models coming down the line that might explain the Ion 16.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The posted blue ano bike is a sweet Ion 18.

The Ion 16 will have a zero stack head tube witch the blue one hasn´t got.
    Eurobike is just a few days away, so we will know soon.

"Its All Good"
    An interesting bike.... More will be revealed in a few days at Eurobike.....

Going to be interesting to see the full line up.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There will be some nice changes in the Helius AC range. Slighly more travel and slacker geometry as seen in the AC 29er review. And the Ion 16 of cause.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My appologies for misleading information.

yet another stupid german
    Nicolai 2013

Argon AM
    Frank Schneider has proven that an Argon AM is fast, aggressive and capable of
    winning. In Master Class at Megavalanche race in AlpeD'huez he became first and
    this is something special. The Argon AM, Gates Carbondrive ready, optimized for
    150mm forks and a pleasant AllMountain geometry, leaves beside the Zero Stack
    head tube and the new 12mm Thruaxle dropout no wishes unfulfilled.
    A carefree Bike for the growing Trail Center community and epic alpine tours.

Helius TB
    The Helius TB is the successor to the RC Helius.
    A trail bike par excellence.
    Travel 120-130mm, progressive kinematic flat steering angle, Zero Stack head tube
    are the key features of these very easy to be accelerated Trail Center-weapon.

Helius AC 26 "2013
    We have modified the geometry of the Helius AC completely
    Optimized for 160mm trail forks, fitted with a newly designed shock rocker (150 and
    140mm) and with much DNA of the Helius AM
    An all-mountain / enduro bike for everyone who is looking for a swiss army knife
    This can be both, your Everyday funride and your enduro race bike.

Helius AC 650b 2013

Although currently the choice of wheels and tires is limited, we decided for this
    intermediate size between 29 and 26 inches.
    The reason? Simple ... a rather small person looks a little bit lost on a 29er. A trail
    bike with a lot of fun potential when running downhill and comfortable seated position
    uphill.

Helius AC 29 "2013
    Also in 29er AC we have set the pen again.
    We can not and do not want to compete with the carbon sub 8kg bombers which start
    peeing themself in front of the next curbside.
    The decision to make our 29er so handy and downhill orientated as possible was just
    logical. The result is a comfortable bike you can climb easyily and beeing even faster
    down the hill.

ION 16 2013

The coronation of the 2013er model range
    New and advanced technologies paired with a complete new formal language.
    The Tapered Zero Stack head tube ensures a low front and maximeses the traction
    on the front wheel
    Reverb Stealth cable routing for a clean look and secured cable routing
    Redesign all bearing locations, load-optimized bearings with additional sealing
    elements maintenance-free and protected against corrosion.
    142x12 rear with mounting guides.
    160mm post mount brake mount
    Geometry adjustment by ET-K (Excentric Trail Key) :-)
    A mini DH bike with 160mm which gives you pure downhill skills, but also brings you
    comofortable up the hill.

Furthermore, the Helius AM (2013 Tapered ahead) initially remains in the program, at
    least until the customers accept the Helius AC (160mm) or Ion 16 just as worthy
    successor.

The geometries of the Helius AC 2012 and RC 2012 are no longer available from
    All 2013 models include optional:
    - Reverb Stealth
    - ZS44/56 Zero Stack head tube as standard

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    The blue above is an ION-18

Let me help a little to show some Details of the ION-16:

Unfortunately no more pictures yet ... but please read carefully what raschaa has posted

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So the Ion 16 will be fixed travel but variable geometry. No clues yet as to what that geometry will be but long and low is likely.

I'm going to speculate a little:

65.5 HA
    74 SA
    Medium at 595mm TT
    Large at 610mm TT
    BB +10mm

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    The blue above is an ION-18

Let me help a little to show some Details of the ION-16:

Unfortunately no more pictures yet ... but please read carefully what raschaa has posted

The adjustable geometry is very nicely done,just turn the bolt dropout 180 degrees.Good work Nicolai

"Its All Good"
    So the Ion 16 will be fixed travel but variable geometry. No clues yet as to what that geometry will be but long and low is likely.

I'm going to speculate a little:

65.5 HA
    74 SA
    Medium at 595mm TT
    Large at 610mm TT
    BB +10mm
    Am interested also if in fact it is going to have a really slack SA, but the final position of the saddle is in the correct spot, kind of like my AM 29er or the AFR was....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Quote Originally Posted by norcosam View Post
    The adjustable geometry is very nicely done,just turn the bolt dropout 180 degrees.Good work Nicolai
    plus the bolts now sit in a recess in the rocker and seal against it via o-ring to keep more gunk away from the bearings...

already did that with my ion by chamfering the holes for the bearings and squeezing a 19x1 o-ring in under the preload "lids"...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Whafe those are pretty much the numbers I've specced on my tailored AM that should be shipping early next month

A few Ion16 sneak peeks

142mm Dropouts:

PM with metal inserts!!!

Quote Vincent Stohye (N- Salesman) "ION 16 Größe L raw (Prototyp) mit RS Monarch Plus 3553g (über 200g leichter als Helius AM L mit gleichem Dämpfer) "

I guess this needs no translation^^

200g lighter than an AM with same shock
    Last edited by raschaa; 08-23-2012 at 02:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That would make the RS Monarch Plus 663g as a unit, which we all know is not the case.

Current AM is 3.1kg
    Ion 16 with RS Monarch is 3.553kg
    RS Monarch weighs 325g according to the SRAM website
    Thus Ion 16 weighs 3.228kg

The only part that might not be accounted for in this is that the mounting kit for the Ion might be a lot lighter. But if the Ion looks to be 130g heavier, the mounting kit on the AM would have to be ~400g

no hardware whatsoever, no axle.... size L, elox

can you do the math? i'm just to lazy

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hmmmm, so with bolts and mounting kit, it would add another 150g say, so with the Monarch Plus, that would take the AM to around 3.3kg, so yes, I guess it could be that the Ion 16 is fractionally lighter.

Thanx

anyways, if its round about the same weight as an AM with not to slack ST angle it could be just what I want^^

mtbr member
    I'm really liking that
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

"Its All Good"
    The dropouts etc look stunning, true Nicolai quality...

Going to be a very adaptable bike..... Roll on Eurobike

Chamois Dropper

What saddle is that?
    Last edited by Whafe; 08-23-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

Quote Originally Posted by natzx7 View Post
    What saddle is that?
    Specialized Phenom Pro Carbon, but the owner says it is not very durable.....

Another piece of the puzzle^^

I spy: standard iscg tabs, reverb stealth routing
    Last edited by raschaa; 08-24-2012 at 01:03 AM.

mtbr member
    I like the smaller rocker of the AM better...this one and those on the "older" IONs are so massive....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was considering a Helius AM Pinion...so much so that I had the deposit ready,...then news came out about the impending ION 16 release..

reset - so now it looks like I have to consider the ION 16 too as it seems to be a replacement of the Helius AM.

Well, I jsut got an email from Kalle himself stating that the Pinion gearbox will not be available with the ION 16 due to it not being able to fit with it's chainstays. Looks like my decision has been made for me: I'm sticking with a 2012 Helius AM Pinion

Just thought I'd pass along the info about 'no Pinions on IONs'

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pinion to Ion 16. Why not? They fitted a fugly gearbox to one already.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Right that's it. I want one in 29 flavour Ion 15-29. Tonight I shall mostly be dreamIng about bike design and colour schemes...
    Aka chainline...

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    Right that's it. I want one in 29 flavour Ion 15-29. Tonight I shall mostly be dreamIng about bike design and colour schemes...
    Hear you dude, it has been in my dreams for days.. Have spent loads of time in bed too, AND not for what you are thinking... Am trying to get over Pnuemonia before the Whistler trip on 5th September....

But yes, an ION 16 29er running XX1 if a no go with a Pinion....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Whafe you run Hadley hubs like I run king. Only issue with XX is neither manufacturer likely to be an early take up. I wrote to Chris King a month ago and they said no plans till they see if it takes off.

A lighter option is the MRP bling ring on an X0 crank with the MRP micro G2SL guide with 11-36 XX cassette and a xtr or xt clutch mech. Not quite the top and bottom range but pretty close and doable now.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What's gonna be the weight on the ION16 frame?
    Nicolai Helius AFR frame size L for sale.

steep fast and loose :)
    never mind all that sh1t, get well soon Whafey !

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    To speed up Whafey´s pulmonary recovery - two pipe dream pics of the Ion 16 fresh from Eurobike 2012 (courtesy DRAILLE Bike Loïs, Colombe, Rhone-Alpes (FR), DrailleBike.com at FaceBook.com)

Hope you will conquer that vicious pneumonia as fast as possible!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    For me this new frame ION16 has a big problem: there are no reinforcements along top/down tube and headtube!! It looks very much like AC... and since I already bent an AC frame on that place I wouldn't buy one, sorry!!!

I wouldn't rate that too high at the moment because the '13 frames Nicolai is presenting at Eurobike were most likely built in a hurry. I figure they're more like pre-production prototypes and there is porbably gonna be more or less changes to them before they are made available to the market....

there were quite a few "inconsistencies" with the '13 ACs that have been posted in the other thread, some had iscg tabs, others didn't, one had no seat tube gussets (maybe a S frame?)....

anyways, seeing that the Ion16 is part of the gravity range at N and the Ion 14 + 18 both have the "AM" Gusset I'm pretty sure the 16 will get that too.... at least I darned sure hope so

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by irban_bike View Post
    I was considering a Helius AM Pinion...so much so that I had the deposit ready,...then news came out about the impending ION 16 release..

reset - so now it looks like I have to consider the ION 16 too as it seems to be a replacement of the Helius AM.

Well, I jsut got an email from Kalle himself stating that the Pinion gearbox will not be available with the ION 16 due to it not being able to fit with it's chainstays. Looks like my decision has been made for me: I'm sticking with a 2012 Helius AM Pinion

Just thought I'd pass along the info about 'no Pinions on IONs'
    Were those chainstays designed ultra-short so that they should not fit to the gearbox? Did Karlheinz clarify his argument a shade more? Perhaps you could ask him via e-mail (past EuroBike) and face a reply.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Pics, pics, pics ...

Courtesy guru39

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    BTW, wouldn´t that be a nice match to the Ion 16?

X-FUSION Prototype
    • Single crown, inverted design
    • Travel: 160mm
    • Air sprung
    • Uses twin-tube HLR damper from Vengeance
    • External adjustments: rebound, separate high and low compression, air pressure
    • Weight: 4.3lbs (claimed, prototype)
    • Availability: TBA
    • MSRP: TBA

Courtesy PinkBike.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm6 View Post
    Were those chainstays designed ultra-short so that they should not fit to the gearbox? Did Karlheinz clarify his argument a shade more? Perhaps you could ask him via e-mail (past EuroBike) and face a reply.
    The email came from Kalle / Karlheinz...i should however clarify my previous statement as Karl/Kalle said that the ION 16 can't work w/ a pinion due to swingarm clearance...he didn't not say that this applies to the other IONs..

"Its All Good"
    Thanks for sharing some ripping great pictures from Eurobike.... Very nice to see...

On the recovery now, again, don't get Pnuemonia, far from good.... Am on the speedy heal for a Wednesday 5th departure from NZ for Whistler... Yeah ha.... Feeling a million times better than this time last week... Thanks for the get well massages...

I cant stop steering at the ION 16!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Freudian slip Whafe? "steering"

In my mind now is would it ride any different to an AM/AC.

Thinking 29er. 150mm as on other thread but with the 'new' goodies e.g. easy geometry change, revised bearings, revised dropouts, brake mount/headtube.
    Aka chainline...

"El Whatever"
    Those Ion 16 are just way too sexy.

Get well, Whafe!!
    Rock on 5-Sept!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Has anyone ridden an Ion compared to an AM or AC, more an AM I guess.

I am very tempted to ask Nicolai to build me a 150mm 29er Ion based on the 16/18 as it has a number of features Nicolai wouldnt do for me earlier this year. However they have at least listened and begun to make them available.

So I have a great 29er AC/AM hybrid, I love it. None of the features is a compelling reason to change. So I am interested as to whether there is any discernable ride quality/character differences.
    Aka chainline...

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    So I am interested as to whether there is any discernable ride quality/character differences.
    No experience, but here are some comments on the Ion 14 from Antonio Osuna (the guy behind the Jeronimo Cycles designs).

Linkage Design: Nicolai ION 14 2011

Also discussed here...

http://forums.mtbr.com/nicolai/ion-1...ts-710267.html

Basically, what he says is that is very similar to the Helius line and has good characteristics. The main difference being the leverage ratio being linear on the Ion against the linear-progressive of the Helius.

The Ion 14 (according tho those numbers) should pedal a little firmer than the Helius and be a little less sensitive in the early travel... which is desirable on a 4X bike like the Ion 14.

The Ion 16 may be an entirely different animal, though. It's brand new, so hardly anybody has ridden it.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Finally the tech sheet:

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The email came from Kalle / Karlheinz...i should however clarify my previous statement as Karl/Kalle said that the ION 16 can't work w/ a pinion due to swingarm clearance...he didn't not say that this applies to the other IONs..
    Today Vincent STOYHE of NICOLAI communicated that the "Ion 16" mantadory will be available with the PINION P1.18 gearbox from around Easter 2013. That´s good news.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Today Vincent STOYHE of NICOLAI communicated that the "Ion 16" mantadory will be available with the PINION P1.18 gearbox from around Easter 2013. That´s good news.
    Good to know, thanks Wilhelm...regardless - I just placed an order for a Helius AM...I like the looks of the Helius AM over the ION

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good to know, thanks Wilhelm...regardless - I just placed an order for a Helius AM...I like the looks of the Helius AM over the ION
    Gratz! Would be nice if your Helius AM could sport some of the innovations of the Ion 16 like ZS, PM, new sealed bearing design, new 142mm drop-outs.

mtbr member
    Gratz! Would be nice if your Helius AM could sport some of the innovations of the Ion 16 like ZS, PM, new sealed bearing design, new 142mm drop-outs.
    I would also choose the AM over the ION 16 just because of the variable rear suspension and overall looks. Do not need ZS, I use some spacers anyway and 135x12 suits me fine. The only thing would be the new bearing design, but the actual one of the AM is not the worst at all….

Greez, Andy

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    Dunno. Just made a research of the German forum MtB-News.de, only one hit, no suitable informations. If you are interested, you can read a current test in the magazine "World of Mountainbiking", issue 7, 2012, pp. 70-80 online for free (in German, translate it online yourself) or buy a download immediately for € 2,99 (see heading line of the linked website).

mtbr member
    Man, I'm sorely tempted. When are these available?

Production plan for the Ion16 is January so will be sending mid to end of February... Vincent said they were going to build as many as they get orders. One in Raw, size L is for me!

The aforementioned wheels have one serious drawback. Rim inside width is very small at 17mm and will probably only handle a max tire width of 2.2. I have a pair of those "cheap chinese carbon rims" coming my way that I am going to lace to my SunRingle Charger Pros with 24 spokes. I hope those do the job on my Ion 16 then...

mtbr member
    Latest tech sheet here

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Price is 2299 Euro, same as ION20

mtbr member
    Sure? I had a short chat with Vinc a few days ago, he said 2199 Euro...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    got an e-mail from him yesterday

mtbr member
    400 Euros+ from an Helius AM???...so we have to pay the R&D for it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ~3469 Euros for anodized frame with ccdbair /if shock price is the same as ion20/
    I guess pinion version will be ~5000 Euros
    That's the most expensive 160mm frame on the planet...

mtbr member
    Has anybody found out if the ION 16 will allow 170 mm or even 180 mm forks? I want to send them another email, but they didn't answer my first mail regarding some questions about ION 18.

Do they even answer the info[at]nicolai . net mail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drakche View Post
    Has anybody found out if the ION 16 will allow 170 mm or even 180 mm forks? I want to send them another email, but they didn't answer my first mail regarding some questions about ION 18.

Do they even answer the info[at]nicolai . net mail?
    Sometimes it can take a while to answer....

As far as I know the standard ION 16 will allow 160mm forks, but you can order it with a stronger down tube for 170mm. 180mm is not allowed yet….

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalkhoffpink View Post
    Sometimes it can take a while to answer....

As far as I know the standard ION 16 will allow 160mm forks, but you can order it with a stronger down tube for 170mm. 180mm is not allowed yet….
    thanks man.
    I asked for 180 since the length of x-fusion vengeance @ 170 is 565 mm, same as 180 mm fork. I hope the will allow it. I think that 160/180 mm conf would be ideal allrounder.

mtbr member
    thanks man.
    I asked for 180 since the length of x-fusion vengeance @ 170 is 565 mm, same as 180 mm fork. I hope the will allow it. I think that 160/180 mm conf would be ideal allrounder.
    I think that the idea is not to restrict the fork because of the lenght, but for the things you would do with 180mm in front. IMHO the bike is not made for stuff you normally use an ION 18 for. The lack of an 180mm option has been discussed in the german forum too and the most were disappointed about that.

mtbr member
    so basically the restriction isn't pn travel but on the use of the bike. Because I'd use the bike for enduro/freeride (not even half of rampage stuff.).

to chime in with my fellow countryman, N is most likely trying to make sure the ion16 is not used beyond its designated spectrum. FR is a term that conjures up visions of hucking and the likes which the frame has not been designed for. Its intended use is enduro racing where alot of guys are riding 140-150mm bikes. as is typical for any Nicolai it will probably withstand quite a bit of abuse, but alas there are a lot of folks out there that will break pretty much anything...

as mentioned above this has been the center of quite a bit of debate in geman mtb-news forum. bottom line is that most buyers will be running it with a 170mm fork seeing that that is more or less standard for that bike category. it will probably do just fine as long as you don't start "heavy hitting" with it.

if in doubt the Ion18 is probably the bike for you and all owners I have spoken with rave about its uphill capabilities, albeit it is not a xc bike^^

regarding your mail not getting answered; their second salesperson Moritz is off work due to a massive crash at Megavalanche and Vincent is drowning in mails (up to 400 daily...).

mtbr member
    I've seen the debate, but alas I don't know German. I've thought about the ION 18, but I think that it is to heavy for Enduro racing. I thought mainly because I'd like to run it with 170 X-Fusion (which is the same length as an 180 mm fork) or Marz 55 just to have a bit of reserve if the going get tough. No big hucking and rampage style riding. The most extreme will be something like Whistler or some shore-like technical riding. But it will mainly be a enduro ride and epic all-mountain travelling, with an occasional light FR. But seeing from the videos The Helius AM was more than capable for that stuff, So I'm hoping that the ION 16 will be more than up to it. I like it more because of the awesome HA.

Yo, right there with you M8! the geo is what makes it so attractive^^

I've ordered mine and will be running it with a [email protected] I'll try to stay away from the DH-tracks or better yet use my Ion20 for those. I'm pretty good at hitting my lines and staying clean so I'm not worried about stability....

mtbr member
    I've seen the debate, but alas I don't know German. I've thought about the ION 18, but I think that it is to heavy for Enduro racing. I thought mainly because I'd like to run it with 170 X-Fusion (which is the same length as an 180 mm fork) or Marz 55 just to have a bit of reserve if the going get tough. No big hucking and rampage style riding. The most extreme will be something like Whistler or some shore-like technical riding. But it will mainly be a enduro ride and epic all-mountain travelling, with an occasional light FR. But seeing from the videos The Helius AM was more than capable for that stuff, So I'm hoping that the ION 16 will be more than up to it. I like it more because of the awesome HA.
    If you expect the ION 16 to be more stable than the AM than you are wrong.
    One hint is the frame weight of the ION 16 which is 200g less than the AM.
    Next is you can order the AM with the AFR downtube which is than good for
    180mm forks. The geo of course is not new-school and the suspension is more
    linear than progeressive. The ION 16 still has no gussets in front, but might get them
    when finally released. For Enduro-races the ION 16 should be the better bike. For a
    Do-It-All-Bike I personally would prefer the AM, and I am close to pull the trigger on it.

mtbr member
    If you expect the ION 16 to be more stable than the AM than you are wrong.
    One hint is the frame weight of the ION 16 which is 200g less than the AM.
    Next is you can order the AM with the AFR downtube which is than good for
    180mm forks. The geo of course is not new-school and the suspension is more
    linear than progeressive. The ION 16 still has no gussets in front, but might get them
    when finally released. For Enduro-races the ION 16 should be the better bike. For a
    Do-It-All-Bike I personally would prefer the AM, and I am close to pull the trigger on it.
    Maybe there will be an option for ION 16 with ION 18 downtube. Although it's lighter for 200g, I think it wont represent a problem, since N frames are beefier than the rest of it's class. I think it will get the gussets up front. And the seat tube gusset differs from the rest of the ION lineup. So pretty much, until February, we have no idea how will it look. It's really a tough call between the 18 and the 16, but I think that the travel in the 18 is a bit overkill, in the afr you could take the travel down to 160. I think I'm gonna wait a bit before pulling the trigger, because I really like the 16, and would like to see the difference between the ION 16 And Helius AM in some reviews. There are pros and there are cons, always.

mtbr member
    Reading Nicolai's own blurb, they talk about keeping the Helius AM in the lineup until customers accept the Ion 16 as a replacement.

I'd prefer the updates on the Ion (12x142 & tapered HT) to the AM, and of course the 200g saving - just not sure if it'll pedal as well - it's billed as "mini DH" as opposed to AM.

mtbr member
    Maybe there will be an option for ION 16 with ION 18 downtube. Although it's lighter for 200g, I think it wont represent a problem, since N frames are beefier than the rest of it's class. I think it will get the gussets up front. And the seat tube gusset differs from the rest of the ION lineup. So pretty much, until February, we have no idea how will it look. It's really a tough call between the 18 and the 16, but I think that the travel in the 18 is a bit overkill, in the afr you could take the travel down to 160. I think I'm gonna wait a bit before pulling the trigger, because I really like the 16, and would like to see the difference between the ION 16 And Helius AM in some reviews. There are pros and there are cons, always.

A shootout between those two would be very interesting, though they are made for different tasks. For now there will be the stronger downtube for 170mm forks, like said before. Maybe you are lucky and there will be a second option for 180mm.

last talk with Vincent few days ago he said it was coming exactly as presented at eurobike so chances for more travel, gussets etc. are pretty much non-existent....

mtbr member
    Not even the fancy CNC-ed ION gusset. bummer. well, 170 is enough for me. Although it's strange that the headtube gussets are omitted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Is the Ion 16 really going to be 200g lighter than the AM? That would mean the mounting hardware and axle together would have to weigh 300g which seems pretty unlikely.

If you ordered an AM now it would ship with a 44/56 tapered head tube, which is what I have on my custom one. Interestingly the geometry I specced on my custom frame is identical to that of a medium Ion 16 (the BB is half way between the two settings at +10mm) and it rides and handles better than my stock large.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would say the omission of the gussets & associated welding alone will be a chunk of weight.
    Geetee, you got the 44/56, I'm jealous I badgered them for 6 months for that! I'm still kinda annoyed they incorporated all my requests into the new AC29 only 3 months after they delivered mine (albeit 3 months late!) well except the too short TT, and the shorter travel, and the shorter stroke shock....well almost ;-)
    I'd like to ride one. To see how the suspension felt. I didn't like their statement about changing the pivot points to stiffen the back up under pedalling, be interesting to are if that's a noticeable difference in compliance on technical climbs..
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I would say the omission of the gussets & associated welding alone will be a chunk of weight.
    Sure but the quoted weight at this point is 3.21kg with axle and mounting hardware so if it's going to be 200g lighter than the AM, that means the axle and mounting hardware have to weigh 310g which I think seems a bit unrealistic. An axle weighs 90g IIRC so that would make the mounting hardware over 200g and I am not even sure that the AM's quoted weight of 3.1kg doesn't include the mounting hardware. I weighed my painted large at 3.18kg with hardware.

mtbr member
    Sure but the quoted weight at this point is 3.21kg with axle and mounting hardware so if it's going to be 200g lighter than the AM, that means the axle and mounting hardware have to weigh 310g which I think seems a bit unrealistic. An axle weighs 90g IIRC so that would make the mounting hardware over 200g and I am not even sure that the AM's quoted weight of 3.1kg doesn't include the mounting hardware. I weighed my painted large at 3.18kg with hardware.

Maybe your weight has been a little too optimistic?

This is an official statement from Vincent in the german IBC forum:

p.s. ION 16 Größe L raw (Prototyp) mit RS Monarch Plus 3553g (über 200g leichter als Helius AM L mit gleichem Dämpfer)

Translated:

p.s. ION 16 size L raw (Prototyp) with RS Monarch Plus 3553g (more than 200g lighter than Helius AM L with same shock)

mtbr member
    Exchanged some mails with Nicolai today, they say the 16 climbs as well as the AM but acceletates better, and is lighter.

I might just be ordering one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi guys , any new of the head tube ?
    I´m considering tu buy the ION16 but I think that a 180 fork is necessary for that frame , I have a Jekyll 11 carbon that I´ve broken the rear few days ago with a 34 talas and I think that the ION 16 it can be "the ideal frame" for a hard enduro if can mount a 180 talas for example

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Xixo - the frame's not even been released yet. No one outside of Nicolai's close circle has ridden one so I'm not sure how you conclude it needs a 180mm fork. Besides, I can't recall seeing anyone win an Enduro event on a 180mm fork. It's just too heavy when a 160mm fork does the job just as well.

If you want to fit a 180mm fork then you need/want the Ion 18 and you're not going to be competing in Enduro events. If the Ion 16 is indeed going to be lighter than the AM, then there is no way they could achieve that design spec and still warranty it for 170/180mm forks. I think that's the point of the Ion 16; it's lighter than the AM (purportedly) for competitive Enduro use, which means you only need a 160mm fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    but the ion 16 is only 200gr lighter than AM , the good of the ion 16 is the geo and angles for climb and the 65-66 degrees for descend, for that reason I think that a 180 talas for enduro routes is the key for this frame , Mark Weir fits a 180 sometimes and Clementz a 170 likryk

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by xixo one View Post
    but the ion 16 is only 200gr lighter than AM , the good of the ion 16 is the geo and angles for climb and the 65-66 degrees for descend, for that reason I think that a 180 talas for enduro routes is the key for this frame...
    With a Nicolai you can have any geo and any angles you want... for a more than reasonable fee.

You can also have Nicolai to build the Ion 16 with gussets or a heavier tubing in order to run a longer fork if you ask for it. Again, for a surcharge.

You have no limits with what Nicolai can do as long as you are willing to pay for it.

200grs is a good chunk of metal in a frame. Remember you're using the same aluminum alloy, it's a lot of wall thickness/material removed from somewhere.

I'm kind of in the middle on this topic... agreed that 20mm travel from spec should not be an issue on ANY frame. However, from 160mm to 180mm you have a LOT of difference in the intended use.

180mm is FR territory. Paint it with any colour you want. A 180mm fork is capable of stupid stuff. A 160mm fork is a glorified trail fork (Lyrik, Nixon, etc.).

The only situation where I see fit a 180mm fork for enduro is to tackle stupid steep downhill stuff (think Morzine) and it will likely hurt the handling everywhere else unless you run some sort of travel adjustment. That or compensate with running a little firmer fork (you'll be receiving most hits on the front end anyways) to keep ride height a little high.
    Check my Site

I'm with y'all on that one. can't see the Ion16 running a 180 fork because the riding that would warrant 180mm up front is just not what the frame has been designed for. as warp points out you can have your Ion16 with beefed-up downtube and/or gussets but that would be defeating the purpose, you might as well order the Ion18.

on another note the Ion16 testing prototypes that N has been bashing for the past couple of months have been equipped with Suntour Durolux (N has a Deal with Suntour) which have an A2C of 565mm. the geo specs show max. A2C as 545mm so they have been testing with forklength in the 180mm ballpark, if this was done by design as "stress testing" is anybodys guess...

german forum discussions have some voices saying they will be running a 170 Lyrik set up with a lot of sag (myself included^^)

I figure anyone interested in the Ion16 just has to do a realistic evaluation of their intended riding with the bike, their riding style and obviously rider weight. its definitely not going to be a lightweight mountain goat that you can beat the s**t out of on the descents...

Tech sheet has been updated, Fork A2C is now at 555mm -> 170mm

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...51&output=html

mtbr member
    get in gear

mtbr member
    2013 Prospect is online NICOLAI numeric magazine 2013 double sorry
    get in gear

mtbr member
    Soon mine will be here :-)
    I can't wait !!!
    Edit : I didn't see I was in the Ion 16 post, mine will have a little bit more travel
    But this ion 16 is sexy !!!
    Last edited by samwell; 12-14-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    Never enough singletracks !

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by samwell View Post
    Soon mine will be here :-)
    I can't wait !!!
    great, post some photos when you can.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I´ve ordered mine few days ago too !

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.juggles View Post
    my perfect "one" bike is my helius am with 170mm lyrik...i hope they wont drop the helius am from the range when the ion 16 surfaces ... the ion looks crap imo.
    My 170mm Lyrik (Coil, DH damper) for Helius AM should be here on Tuesday. I hope you are right.

It would not be my "one" bike though..

I am not wishing that I have waited for ION.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    what diameter of seatclamp it needs , anyone knows?

34,9mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi everyone, I have a doubt with the front derailleur , this:

Shimano XTR M985 10 Speed Double Front Derailleur - E2 Type

Is compatible with the ion 16 ?

I would like to mount a full xtr group and I have that derailleur on my actual bike

don't think so... you need high direct mount

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks , again

Ion16 is now on N website

NICOLAI Ion 16

mtbr member
    Nice looking beast with a lower COG than older Nic frames.

However its looks waaay less burley than my Helius FR. That weighed 3.47kg with gussets everywhere and an 1.5 headtube.

hopefully sometime mid-february I'll be doing do some "burliness" tests

Living the USA dreams...
    Oct 2009
    I hope news too
    lol

well here's some news for you folks regarding Ion16. It has just been "leaked" that 1st production run Ion16 will come with gussets at the headtube and therefore allow 170mm travel forks. most likely same style as AM... no pictures yet but one guy did some (photo)shopping:

obviously the pressure by potential buyers got to them and Karve gets his "burliness" ^^

I'm not 100% convinced I wnat or need the gussets, I kinda liked the clean look without.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
    well here's some news for you folks regarding Ion16. It has just been "leaked" that 1st production run Ion16 will come with gussets at the headtube and therefore allow 170mm travel forks. most likely same style as AM... no pictures yet but one guy did some (photo)shopping:

obviously the pressure by potential buyers got to them and Karve gets his "burliness" ^^

I'm not 100% convinced I wnat or need the gussets, I kinda liked the clean look without.
    So now it is the same as Helius AM, with linkage relocated to the downtube, no reinforcement brace as on Ion18, updated frame features, and no option to relocate upper shock mount, or restrict travel for a longer ride.

Good. No urge to upgrade my AM for longer.

well, not quite. it has updated geo, tapered headtube, pm rear brake mount, stealth ready and foremost the linkage characteristic of the Ion series. but if you already call an AM your own, well, I understand that there is less "need to have" involved^^. Since I was planning to buy an AM when news of the 16 came it was a no-brainer for me. they still haven't got it all worked out just yet, because it seems unclear as to where derallieur cable routing is going to run (toptube vs. downtube) etc.etc.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    tapered headtube, pm rear brake mount, stealth ready
    That is what I meant under "updated frame features". All very good, but does not really affect ride.

Well, geometry obviously does, I see they stretched it 10mm, slackened half a degree, and lowered BB 2 to 10mm - about par for 10mm less travel. And linkage ratio does not rise until sag point. Kinda following the recent trends. Meh.. it was already pretty dialed IMHO.

I do like High/Low option instead of travel adjust. Travel adjust kinda useless for me. But I guess I can get the same effect by ordering a different front shock mount, from -3 to -5? Should do that...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The AM now comes with ZS tapered head tube and is stealth ready. My custom AM also has a +10mm BB.

I'm not sure why they felt the AM couldn't be used to devel these new technologies in the pivot hardware, but I'm sure there is a good reason.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What custom changes did you make Geetee?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have ordered from 1 month with a stronger down tube for fit a 180 fork ocasionally

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well in the end it turned out that I ended up with an Ion 16! It was all custom geometry as follows:

HA 66 degrees
    BB +10mm
    TT 595mm
    Reach 419mm
    SA 73.5 degrees
    ST 430mm
    CS no change
    WB 1163mm

Then I specified the ZS44/56 head tube, stealth drilling for a Reverb, full dark green ano, white extra love, black graphics, 30.9mm seat tube (means it was compatible with the Reverb I had at the time although in the end I just swapped that out for a stealth one. The thicker ST does mean that you can lose the bracing struts between the ST and TT though, which I think looks neater).

One other thing I asked for was a bit 'tarty' but I like it and that was to have 'GeeTee' stamped into the right hand seat stay.

Here it is:

I also ended up swapping the wheels out. I had so many problems with the rear Haven (twice I ended up breaking spokes and had the usual endless trouble with the freehub) that in the end I demanded a refund and got one. I've replaced them with Enve AMs on Chris King hubs with Sapim CX Ray spokes, regular 32/32 and built by an Enve specialist local to me called Strada.

I've only managed to ride it three times before I crashed and shattered my humerus. I'm almost done healing but I broke the bone beginning of October and am not allowed to ride again until February!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Here it is:
    I am not following - that is a Helius, is not it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sorry yes, it's a Helius AM. I meant that with the geometry changes I made, I ended up with the same geometry as the Ion 16. I'm sure it's pure coincidence but I was making the specification at the same time the Ion 16 was on the drawing board. I had conversations with Vincent about the Ion so I knew it was coming and that most likely it would be very close to what I wanted but in the end decided not to wait. I ordered mind in the summer last year and got it in the middle of September.

mtbr member
    Well in the end it turned out that I ended up with an Ion 16! It was all custom geometry as follows:

HA 66 degrees
    BB +10mm
    TT 595mm
    Reach 419mm
    SA 73.5 degrees
    ST 430mm
    CS no change
    WB 1163mm

Then I specified the ZS44/56 head tube, stealth drilling for a Reverb, full dark green ano, white extra love, black graphics, 30.9mm seat tube (means it was compatible with the Reverb I had at the time although in the end I just swapped that out for a stealth one. The thicker ST does mean that you can lose the bracing struts between the ST and TT though, which I think looks neater).

One other thing I asked for was a bit 'tarty' but I like it and that was to have 'GeeTee' stamped into the right hand seat stay.

Here it is:

I also ended up swapping the wheels out. I had so many problems with the rear Haven (twice I ended up breaking spokes and had the usual endless trouble with the freehub) that in the end I demanded a refund and got one. I've replaced them with Enve AMs on Chris King hubs with Sapim CX Ray spokes, regular 32/32 and built by an Enve specialist local to me called Strada.

I've only managed to ride it three times before I crashed and shattered my humerus. I'm almost done healing but I broke the bone beginning of October and am not allowed to ride again until February!
    I know this is a little off-topic

Love this

Ive seen you over on STW. Seriously thinking of going for a AM. If you dont mind me asking with that custom geo how tall are you?

Also roughly, what sort of price are we looking at for a complete custom build frame?...So tempted to replace my s-works enduro with one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I suggest you contact Dipper to sort out current prices, they've gone up a bit for custom charge but he is very good. [email protected]

I love my Nicolaaaaiiiiii..
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post
    I know this is a little off-topic

Love this

Ive seen you over on STW. Seriously thinking of going for a AM. If you dont mind me asking with that custom geo how tall are you?

Also roughly, what sort of price are we looking at for a complete custom build frame?...So tempted to replace my s-works enduro with one.
    Hi there - great to be in touch and thanks for the question. Yes I am on STW, I try not to waste too much time there but I dabble every now and then. I've also met some great friends via that site so it's mostly all good

To answer your question, I am just shy of six feet tall with a 32" inside leg. I previously had a large AM before this one, with the seat tube cut down so that it was only 15" (that wasn't quite what I had expected but it worked just fine anyway).

I also came to the Helius AM from a 2005 Enduro (not sure which model year you have); I loved that bike and only replaced it because I eventually cracked the butress that split the seat tube where the damper went. I had a medium and the large Helius AM was the closest to that in terms of length. The bike I have now is more or less identical to the Enduro I had before.

The large felt great in terms of length but having also owned other bikes that were shorter in the cockpit, I realised that I wanted something slightly shorter than the 605mm TT of the large but not as short as the 585mm medium. Hence I went exactly half way between them at 595mm.

The biggest change I made was to lower the BB. This is personal preference and suits my riding style better. I went +10mm above the chainline, which more or less equates to other bike manufacturers' quoted heights of 13.3"

The up charge for a full custom frame is now £650 (it was £500). I used to think £500 was a lot but honestly for all the additional work they have to do to make a custom frame, it doesn't surprise me that they had to increase the price.

The price then of my frame above is a bit eye watering. With all the extras (green ano front and rear, white levers, custom geom, my name stamped on the seat stay ) I think the final price was £2740 and that doesn't include the shock

Yes, not cheap, but I was able to liberate £900 from my old frame and this was a 40th birthday present.

Depending on where you are, I would be very happy to let you try mine or if you're not close, I am sure that there are people nearby who would offer you the same courtesy. Tell us where you are and what you're looking for and we'll all try to help get you into the group!

mtbr member
    Hi there - great to be in touch and thanks for the question. Yes I am on STW, I try not to waste too much time there but I dabble every now and then. I've also met some great friends via that site so it's mostly all good

To answer your question, I am just shy of six feet tall with a 32" inside leg. I previously had a large AM before this one, with the seat tube cut down so that it was only 15" (that wasn't quite what I had expected but it worked just fine anyway).

I also came to the Helius AM from a 2005 Enduro (not sure which model year you have); I loved that bike and only replaced it because I eventually cracked the butress that split the seat tube where the damper went. I had a medium and the large Helius AM was the closest to that in terms of length. The bike I have now is more or less identical to the Enduro I had before.

The large felt great in terms of length but having also owned other bikes that were shorter in the cockpit, I realised that I wanted something slightly shorter than the 605mm TT of the large but not as short as the 585mm medium. Hence I went exactly half way between them at 595mm.

The biggest change I made was to lower the BB. This is personal preference and suits my riding style better. I went +10mm above the chainline, which more or less equates to other bike manufacturers' quoted heights of 13.3"

The up charge for a full custom frame is now £650 (it was £500). I used to think £500 was a lot but honestly for all the additional work they have to do to make a custom frame, it doesn't surprise me that they had to increase the price.

The price then of my frame above is a bit eye watering. With all the extras (green ano front and rear, white levers, custom geom, my name stamped on the seat stay ) I think the final price was £2740 and that doesn't include the shock

Yes, not cheap, but I was able to liberate £900 from my old frame and this was a 40th birthday present.

Depending on where you are, I would be very happy to let you try mine or if you're not close, I am sure that there are people nearby who would offer you the same courtesy. Tell us where you are and what you're looking for and we'll all try to help get you into the group!

Thanks for that much appreciated....Hope you dont mind me posting here. Dont want to ruin your thread

Im the same height as you and was tempted with your old AM when you was selling.

I currently ride a 2010 enduro carbon but find the large a little too long and the medium a bit too short, being inbetween sizes at a shade under 6ft.

The top tube length of 595mm is that actual or horizontal ?

Many thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post
    Thanks for that much appreciated....Hope you dont mind me posting here. Dont want to ruin your thread

Im the same height as you and was tempted with your old AM when you was selling.

I currently ride a 2010 enduro carbon but find the large a little too long and the medium a bit too short, being inbetween sizes at a shade under 6ft.

The top tube length of 595mm is that actual or horizontal ?

Many thanks
    That is the horizontal measurement. If you PM me through here and send me your email address I can send you the design drawings so you can see how it all lays out.

595mm ended up giving me a 420smm reach.

mtbr member
    Good day all,

I have a question in regards to ordering an ION16. Those that have ordered one, how did you complete the order? Via email or over the phone? I have sent a couple of emails to Nicolai, but have not received responses (could be spam filter). I would like to call but do not speak German and do not want to be perceived at an "ugly American". Is calling an option?

Additionally, for those who have ordered could you PM me on why you bought one and explain the ordering process? I have a 2012 Turner 5Spot and love it! However, I want to ride a little more aggressively and try some amateur eduro and use it at a bike park.
    Thanks for your time.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkitt View Post
    Good day all,

I have a question in regards to ordering an ION16. Those that have ordered one, how did you complete the order? Via email or over the phone? I have sent a couple of emails to Nicolai, but have not received responses (could be spam filter). I would like to call but do not speak German and do not want to be perceived at an "ugly American". Is calling an option?

Additionally, for those who have ordered could you PM me on why you bought one and explain the ordering process? I have a 2012 Turner 5Spot and love it! However, I want to ride a little more aggressively and try some amateur eduro and use it at a bike park.
    Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
    No problem with speaking English to them, I've done it a number of times in the past.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Good day all,

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
    They do not answer emails right away, but they do answer. No problem with English. Mine is worse. I have ended up placing an order through their US representative, which was slightly cheaper delivered. Mailed a deposit check, than the balance after the frame was done. I have emailed the features I wanted (color, cable routing, extra water bosses etc.)

I bought Helius AM because I wanted a longer travel bike to replace my Kona, with better (subjectively) suspension and more modern frame features - to be run with 170mm fork. I was considering switching it to 650b, but decided against it in the end. I have a 120mm FS trail bike as well.

mtbr member
    loamranger and Axe,

Thanks for the replies. I just might call them next week.

Axe, who is the US rep? Could you pass me their contact information? Is it just "[email protected]"?

Last quesiton, do you know their production run schedule? I think they have a projected delivery for April on orders now. If I order in a month or so will it be a couple month wait or will I have to wait for another production run 6-12 months from now.

Thanks again!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Hey I want to thank everyone for their help. Just got my ION16 (lg) ordered! Going "STEALTH" black ano frame, extra love black ano on the bits, with black glossy stickers!

Cheers,

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Hey I want to thank everyone for their help. Just got my ION16 (lg) ordered! Going "STEALTH" black ano frame, extra love black ano on the bits, with black glossy stickers!

Cheers,
    Bad choice. Very bad choice. It got to have dark red stickers.

Any plans on the shock and kit?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ion 16 Gussets I think.

Ion 16 Breaks Cover-gussets.jpg

mtbr member
    Never enough singletracks !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Bad choice. Very bad choice. It got to have dark red stickers.

Any plans on the shock and kit?

Axe,
    I have a CCDB air on my 5spot...after riding a CCDB air its hard to use anything else. Along with the CCDB air was thinking of checking out X-Fusion's Slant 34mm stanchion 160mm fork. Kit will be a bastard..XO/X9 shifters and mechs, XT ICE brakes, E*thirteen TRS double crank (175mm w/22-36t) w/ chain retention device. I just dropped off some Hope evo2 hubs to get laced up with Sapim spokes to WTB Frequency i23 rims. Probably a KS LEV unless Thomson's seat post comes out with a stationary cable.

Looking forward to the build, have time, looks like I'm in the week 16 production slot.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance.

Cheers,
    Last edited by jjkitt; 02-02-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by samwell View Post
    Looks like everybody switched to Ion from Helius. I guess the new frame features make sense when ordering new.

Keep us updated.

This is almost unbearable...
    I've got all the kit waiting here and the frames are probably gonna be delayed 1-2 weeks because the gussets have to be welded on now....

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Along with the CCDB air was thinking of checking out X-Fusion's Slant 34mm stanchion 160mm fork.
    I can't recommend 170mm coil Lyrik with DH damper enough. Coil is completely worth a little extra weight. Everything else feels bad in comparison now. With 1.5" (49mm) tube I was able to keep the ride height by using Orbit E low stack headset - running 1.5" straight steerer. Stiff. I guess with the new larger low cup there are more choices for zero stack low cup.

DH damper feels very balanced with CCDBA in the back. I do not want shocks without separate LSC/HSC anymore. No more "platforms" or lockouts. Hope somebody makes an equally good light trail fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just put the deposit down on a large Ion 16!

Now comes the fun part of picking components.

mtbr member
    I can't recommend 170mm coil Lyrik with DH damper enough. Coil is completely worth a little extra weight. Everything else feels bad in comparison now....DH damper feels very balanced with CCDBA in the back. I do not want shocks without separate LSC/HSC anymore. No more "platforms" or lockouts.
    Axe,
    Thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking of getting a used coil fork as a back-up to use as a "fork-up" when I take the ION16 to the bike park...but after your comment I will have to take another look.

Cheers,

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Axe,
    Thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking of getting a used coil fork as a back-up to use as a "fork-up" when I take the ION16 to the bike park...but after your comment I will have to take another look.
    If you worry how you will climb with no travel adjust and no lockout switch - don't, IMHO. I can clear rocky climbs that I have trouble on my 120mm, 10lb lighter trail bike - with Magura Durin (not a bad fork at all) and pushed Fox Float. Its uncanny how CCDB and DH mission control keep things wobble and bobble free... With Ion's shock rate and stretched geometry it should be even better on the way up..

mtbr member
    Just found out my order has been confirmed for production week 20 with an estimated delivery of 1 JUNE. I was expecting a spot in week 16-17...so I am a little bummed that I won’t have the ION16 for my Ashville NC trip. But still stoked I'm confirmed/slotted and that I'll have the frame for my Durango, CO trip!

Hope all is well with everyone and looking forward to seeing everyone’s frames once they receive them!

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Just found out my order has been confirmed for production week 20 with an estimated delivery of 1 JUNE. I was expecting a spot in week 16-17...so I am a little bummed that I won’t have the ION16 for my Ashville NC trip. But still stoked I'm confirmed/slotted and that I'll have the frame for my Durango, CO trip!

Hope all is well with everyone and looking forward to seeing everyone’s frames once they receive them!

Cheers,
    Just one tidbit I just learned. CCDBA made before last Septemer or so, can be upgraded to high flow inner air can - service centers can do that. Sending mine out later today. It effectively reduces internal air-flow induced damping - so you can get it back with proper HSC and LSC adjustments if needed. This can is now standard. (And that is not the high volume outer can that just came out. Cane Creek people thought it also could be a good upgrade on my Helius - do not know about Ion as it has falling rate from the start).

mtbr member
    Just one tidbit I just learned. CCDBA made before last Septemer or so, can be upgraded to high flow inner air can - service centers can do that. Sending mine out later today. It effectively reduces internal air-flow induced damping - so you can get it back with proper HSC and LSC adjustments if needed. This can is now standard. (And that is not the high volume outer can that just came out. Cane Creek people thought it also could be a good upgrade on my Helius - do not know about Ion as it has falling rate from the start).
    Axe,
    I have the new high flow inner can on my 5Spot...it is fantastic and makes a world of difference. Plan to get the same configuration for the ION16 and try NICOLAI's tune they have listed in their 2013 catalog. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

that pretty much coincides with all ion16 orderers, on an average they have all been shoved ~4weeks behind planned schedule, same for me

Name:  dsc_9013_500px.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  86.1 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm new to this forum, but thought i would add my bit.

My Ion is due for shipping in week 10 as i got my oder in early doors, can't wait...

Having spoken with Nicolai on the CCDBA they recommended I purchased it through them as the standard model would not work well with the Ion design

Qoute from Moritz at Nicolai

"Our high volume DB air is not standard, but i don´t know if or when it will be available in the aftermarket.
    The standard DB air is way too progressive for the Ion 16, so it will just work poorly."

Axe
    Custom User Title
    don't think so... you need high direct mount
    Note that they come in double and triple, and in dual pull and top pull. My guess you would need dual-pull (for bottom routing) and double (for bike usage)

mtbr member

CCDB air HV can and ION16 leverage ratio

Quote Originally Posted by sloanranger View Post
    I'm new to this forum, but thought i would add my bit.

My Ion is due for shipping in week 10 as i got my oder in early doors, can't wait...

Having spoken with Nicolai on the CCDBA they recommended I purchased it through them as the standard model would not work well with the Ion design

Qoute from Moritz at Nicolai

"Our high volume DB air is not standard, but i don´t know if or when it will be available in the aftermarket.
    The standard DB air is way too progressive for the Ion 16, so it will just work poorly."
    Sloanranger,
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting your order in early. I wish I had, but it took some time to convince my better half.

I am also looking at the high volume CCDB air. I just read Pinkbike's review of the CCDB air with the high volume canister on a 2013 Banshee Rune. Cane Creek Double Barrel Air - Tested - Pinkbike
    They state the "new high-volume air can...better suits the Rune's progressive leverage ratio".
    So my question to bounce off what NICOLAI's rep said in regards HV can, does the ION16 have "a relatively progressive rear suspension rate"?
    ION16 ratio 2013.pdf

I think the answer is "yes" but would appreciate everyone's insight.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Ion 16 update

Ion 16 Breaks Cover-dsc_4097.jpg
    The answer to your question is definetley "Yes", which is why Cane Creek have developed the DB Air XV (extra volume) to accomodate progressive suspension tunes.

I have just recieved an email today from Nicolai with a photo of my main frame which is ready for powder coating this wednesday, so should be riding the new rig early next week. I'll post some pictures once i have it built up. The dissapointing news is that CCDB Air XV will not available till early April, but Nicolai have offered me an alternative shock until one arrives.

Check out the detail on the seat gusset, i wasnt expecting the "ion" machining, so yet another nice detail.
    Last edited by sloanranger; 03-04-2013 at 08:24 AM.

mtbr member
    sloanranger,
    Could you re-post/re-attach the pic? For some reason mtbr says it's an invalid link?

Thanks for the information as well.

Cheers,

I don't see the Ion linkage as beeing overly progressive, if compared to Devinci Hectik, Norco Range or Banshee Rune they're all pretty much in the same ball park except for the Rune which regresses beyond 100mm... see Linkage

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I agree, I'm only regurgitating stuff. I think the problem lies only with the DB air as I understand it was developed to assist regressive and neutral suspension curves and would give a poor setup on a progressive setup, therefore cane creek introduce high volume inner can, but it would seem this isn't enough for the Ion platform and therefore Nicolai recommend the Extra volume setup which has just been released. But I could be wrong

mtbr member
    raschaa,

Thanks for the info...since my orginal question I have been informed that Malcom at Cane Creek recommends the standard can for the ION16. My ION16 is not scheduled to arrive until June, so I have time to "wait and see" what other ION owners do.
    Thanks again for the info.

Cheers,

hey jj,

friend of mine ordered with me as well and is getting ccdba so I should be able to give you a "heads-up" in the next 2 weeks. I have a 2013 x-fusion vector air waiting here for my Ion16, have one in my Ion20 and it works a dream there so I've got my fingers crossed that it will do me just as good in the 16

mtbr member
    raschaa,

Thanks, I appreciate it...its all guessing until someone takes it out for some drops and jumps (at least to me). I was also thinking the X-Fusion vector air would be a good option too. Did you order it direct from X-Fusion and did you get a specific tune?

Thanks again.

Cheers,

got mine from german distributor, they don't do special tunes but the clicker range is large enough to get it dialed well (at least on my ion20). i hear x-fusion usa does individual tune for I believe it was 50usd...

the first 38 ion16 frames in the temper oven:
    Ion 16 Breaks Cover-553134_567102179975971_467184614_n.jpg

mtbr member
    AWH MAN! Great pictures! Getting very excited, man June can't come soon enough!
    Ok, thanks for the info on the XFusion...yeah, I was aware the US office did tunes, just wanted to see if you had a specific tune. I will have to touch base with them.

Thanks again for the info, look forward to you and your buddies shock set-up suggestions and keep the awesome pictures coming.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Looking at the Ion16 leverage ratio it seems it has a falling rate (progressive) all the way through its travel. From what little i understand, this means that the standard DB air will suffer with compression damping issue and riders may not be able to use full travel, therefore a larger air volume remedies this.

If you are correct and the Rune has regressive nature towards the end of its stroke then the standard can should work a treat.

So im a bit confused now, if cane creek have advised jj that a standard can is the one, then there is a bit of conflict going on as Nicolai have advised not to go down this route, I'm sticking with the advise of these guys as they design the frame and tested it, and I'm advised that Nicolai staff will be installing the DB air XV as its the best setup available.

They actually offer the DB Air at a reasonable price too so cant complain.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Ion 16 Breaks Cover

Quote Originally Posted by sloanranger View Post
    Looking at the Ion16 leverage ratio it seems it has a falling rate (progressive) all the way through its travel. From what little i understand, this means that the standard DB air will suffer with compression damping issue and riders may not be able to use full travel, therefore a larger air volume remedies this.

If you are correct and the Rune has regressive nature towards the end of its stroke then the standard can should work a treat.

So im a bit confused now, if cane creek have advised jj that a standard can is the one, then there is a bit of conflict going on as Nicolai have advised not to go down this route, I'm sticking with the advise of these guys as they design the frame and tested it, and I'm advised that Nicolai staff will be installing the DB air XV as its the best setup available.

They actually offer the DB Air at a reasonable price too so cant complain.
    High volume can is $40 and easy to swap. I will try both on Helius once it comes out.

Upgraded inner can to the current high flow. It does make a difference.

What still bugs me a lot - can touches the swing link on Helius (just barely), but that means in 171mm mode I can not fit water bottle below it. I am about to take a file to the link and notch it for clearance. Grr.

mtbr member
    Axe,
    Great comment/point....just what I was thinking too. I'm going to put the HV can on my 5Spot and test it out...so shouldn't be a big deal with the ION16.

Best to all and thanks for the comments.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Guys

Here is a response from Nicolai regarding DB Air

"We tested both versions of the DB Air, the standard one and the XV with our team riders, workmates and Gino Schliffske from Flatout Suspension.
    The standard DB air was just too progressive from the mid stroke and therefore it didn´t feel as vivid as the XV.
    With the XV you have a really good range to adjust the progression with the air can spacers, the suspension feels supple but without diving in the sag"

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    sloanranger,

Thanks, helps a TON!

Cheers,

Finally in Large...

3464g with Reset Flatstack A4 und Hollowlite BB (ca.180g together), shock mounting screws and axle

Netto 3284g

mtbr member
    Finally in Large...
    Very cool...are those the standard decals? And everything else in Raw?

Is the headset included as standard?

mtbr member

Sweet!

Raschaa,

Looks great! Man, you have me second guessing my choice of black ano with extra love glossy black stickers!

Thanks for sharing the pictures, looking forward to following your build up.

Cheers,

Decals can be had in pretty much any color, whatever floats your boat... mine are not the ones I ordered, got messed up somewhere along the way, but thats no biggy Ill just have them send me new ones.

The headset and BB are not included, I ordered those along with the frame and they mounted them for me. Reset-Racing make top notch stuff that suits a bike like Nicolai very well. They're close to Nicolai and Kalle and Herr Koehn (reset-racing) are old buddies. Can't recommend them enough.

Build is almost completed, finishing touches and pics tomorrow. But to raise the suspense, I had it on the scales and hung the not yet mounted rear brake and front mech on the pedal......

13.1kg

and JJ, black ano + glossy decals is timeless, don't worry about it

mtbr member
    and JJ, black ano + glossy decals is timeless, don't worry about it
    Cheers,

Some detail pics?

mtbr member
    looks really good raschaa... looking forward to seeing the complete pics.

Ok, not 100% finished and not a very good pic, but here she is^^

weight w/o front mech 12,90kg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    what size is it raschaa. I think thats about the same weight as an AM taking ino account the axle is in?
    Aka chainline...

The frame is L and weighs 3264g with axle and shock hardware

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ooh, I read that 2 as a 4. Encouraged now for the Ion29. My old med AM 26" was 3350 without anything. Painted tough I suppose.

My L AC/AM 29 hybrid is 3330 without anything black ano.

Ion29 will be raw too.

Will you put a dropper post on it?
    Aka chainline...

occasionally yes, but 80% of the time I don't need one...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    .... and the suspension is more
    linear than progeressive. ...
    Yes, why design a linear rate when yer average air shock is progressive at the last 1/2 - 1/3 of the travel. Wouldn`t you rather want a progressive rate matched to the progressiveness of the shock to give a linear resultant feel?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    occasionally yes, but 80% of the time I don't need one...
    So, have you had chance to break her in yet, how does it respond and whats the stiffness like on the rear....

Finger crossed mine should be arriving soon, already running a week late, but cant all good things come to those who wait..

No, weather has been atrocious past few days (loads of wet snow ), just a quick run up and down the street... shock feels like it suits the linkage ratio really well, very little pedaling influence, rear feels stiff enough under heavy pedaling (but I'm no sprinter^^)

hoping the snow melts next few days...

all good things DO come to those who can wait!

Oh, and be wary of how short you cut the steerer tube. the short tapered tube + zerostack puts the bars so low that my shifters hit the top tube massively...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi raschaa,

do you have mounted a 160 rear disc ?
    could you show any pic from behind of rear brake ?
    I want to mount rear a hope m4 calippers with a 160 disc and I think that is not necessary any caliper adapter but there is not space for a nut to install the screw , I need some help..

sorry, won't work. the Ion 16 has a postmount 180 welded on to the chainstay...

for lots of (detail) pics see my album at german mtb-news.de

for bigger size scroll down on right side...

Micro (80×80, 4.2 KiB)
    Thumbnail (150×113, 10.5 KiB)
    Mittel (550×413, 104.1 KiB)
    Groß (1024×768, 289.6 KiB)
    Original (2000×1500, 359.3 KiB)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have seen your pics, my question is , how have you attached the caliper at the place becouse the orifices does not have a thread , is it necessary any special screw ?

here you got my frame

Ion 16 Breaks Cover-pinza2.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    fixed, missing the bag with the cilinders

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xixo one View Post
    fixed, missing the bag with the cilinders
    Good catch! Would have sucked if you mistakenly threw them away. The replaceable thread inserts are not common enough to be found at the local bike shop.
    When you get a chance post some pictures of your build. I would be interested to see.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

next week it will be finished , I´ll show pics

they forgot to send me the pm inserts, but I had some from an Ikea cupboard, they work too LOL

sorry I didn't mention the threaded inserts, I kinda figured that was self-explanatory...

mtbr member
    they forgot to send me the pm inserts, but I had some from an Ikea cupboard, they work too LOL

sorry I didn't mention the threaded inserts, I kinda figured that was self-explanatory...
    Hmmm, good to know. I have another bike brand (Turner) that use the PM inserts. Guess I'll play it safe and order a set from them just in case. Can always save them for the 5Spot if I get them with the ION16.

xixo one, your frame looks great!! Great choice of the raw and blue, very sharp!!
    Look forward to seeing it built and both of your impressions on rear shock choices.

Cheers

on another note...

the clamp for the front derailleur seriously disappointed me, uuuuuugly and not worthy of being mounted on a N frame... took half an hour to transform it into "acceptable".

I can recommend routing the rear brake hose through the horst link:

I couldnt' get a clean routing because the PM mount is so wide in comparison to an adapter that the fitting wouldn't clear the mount without having to go up-and-over...

got a 2 hour ride in yesterday during a sunny patch at round about freezing... nothing spectacular because I'm still having problems with my meniscus after a bouldering incident back in december

although I've done no training the past 4 months I was astonished how well Ion + I mastered the climbs, so I'll give that to the bike... rear felt plenty stiff when mashing the pedals and bob was almost non-existent. It does feel pretty slack with the "low" setting and 170 Lyrik, will flip it to "high" next round for comparison. On a ca. 500m stretch with lots of roots, some of them arm-thick, the rear felt nice, not cushy soft, just well damped and controlled, taking enough of the hits to let me stay seated (post fully extended) and pedaling, BB height was not an issue...

hope to get in some serious trail riding with airtime soon
    Last edited by raschaa; 03-24-2013 at 01:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

... and if we just ... Ion 16 slack.................

Ion 16 Breaks Cover-image.jpgHere's mine at last , all built up but no chance of riding as everywhere is covered in snow.

The low stack height is very alien to me at the moment, I'm so used to a much higher bar height, but we will see how things are when I can get out for a ride.

It looks like I'm the only one who hasn't gone for the raw effect.

Ion 16 Breaks Cover-ion-16-right.jpgIon 16 Breaks Cover-ion-16-left.jpg

I measured the fork angle with my iphone (which is accurate enough) and very slack ........ at 63.5 ( un weighted) in 'low' setting, this is with a 170 lyric and Hans Damf up front and Conti RQ 2.2 at the rear.

Below is my spec:

• Rider height, weight, ride style: 5ft 11inch, 90kg, All Mountain, XC, DH, Freeride.
    • Frame, Size & Colour:, Gloss White & Anodised Black, Zero Stack Tapered Headtube, 12mm Rear Axle
    • Fork: RS Lyric 170 DH Solo Air
    • Shock: Cane Creek DB Air, 216mm i2i, 63mm stroke
    • Brakes: Formula R0 F&R, 203mm front, 185mm rear
    • Cranks: Sram X9 with MRP 28T Bling Ring
    • Shifters: Shimano XT
    • Rear Deraileur: Shimano Zee (short cage)
    • Pedals: DMR Vault
    • Stem: Renthal Duo
    • Handlebar: Easton Haven Carbon
    • Seatpost: RS Stealth Reverb
    • Seatclamp: Hope QR
    • Saddle: FiZik Gobi
    • Bottom Bracket: Hope Stainless
    • Cassette: Shimano 36-11XT
    • Chain: KMC Gold
    • Headset: Hope
    • Grips: Renthal Super Soft Lock On
    • Front Tyre: Continental 2.2 Rubber Queen or Schwable 2.35 Hans Dampf (running tubeless)
    • Front Rim/Spokes: Mavic Crossmax SX
    • Rear Tyre: Continental 2.2 Rubber Queen Queen or Schwable 2.35 Hans Dampf (running tubeless)
    • Rear Rim/Spokes: Mavic Crossmax SX
    • Misc: MRP Micro G2 chain device, helicopter taped in specific zones

Bathroom scales weight = 13kg (which i think must be incorrect)
    Last edited by sloanranger; 03-26-2013 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Update

mtbr member
    sloanranger,

Build looks great, love the seatstays!

Could you explain on how to set "high and low"? I.E. what is the position of the bolt/nut for high and low?

Cheers,
    Last edited by jjkitt; 03-27-2013 at 11:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ion 16 Breaks Cover-ion-16-instruction.jpg
    sloanranger,

Build looks great, love the seatstays!

Could you explain on how to set "high and low"? I.E. what is the position of the bolt/nut for high and low?

Cheers,

Nicolai Instructions enclosed:

mtbr member
    Sloanranger,

Thanks for posting. Sent you a PM.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

here you got , now 13950gr , but finally it will be 13900gr in a few days , with

Marzocchi 55 rc3 evo v2 ti
    Monarch rt3
    Hope m4 brakes
    Carbon handlebar
    xtr transmission
    sixc crankset
    ztr flow+ti spokes+ dt240s wheels
    Minion front
    Ignitor rear
    Reverb stealth
    Selle Italia slr xc flow
    size M

mtbr member
    That looks mint, sloanranger - it might have made my colour decision for me - I have Crossmax SX and Devilles on my Spicy to transfer over, white front triangle and black rear end was what I had in mind.

Is that decal setup custom, or do they include extra decals in the box?

well, finally got in 4 hrs of serious trail bangin'... still have the smile on my face

performance in the rear was awesome, felt bottomless (x-fusion vector hlr air), very controlled midstroke when hammering berms and pumping the roots and rocks, no noticable flex and had 2-3 mm shock stroke in reserve... got courageous and started hitting the 2 sections of trail that would justify using a dh bike at the same speed I would on my Ion20... WOW, that worked really well, of course not as stable and quite a bit heavier on the "bodywork" end of matters, but very composed and fast. it's matching my lyrik rc2dh very nicely and when I get more time on the new shock to find my setup, I'l probably have to do some tweaking of the fork^^

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi guys, a video of last Monday with my new Ion 16

720p is available on choice

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Are there any more reviews on how the bike rides? I try to read the German forums but google translate isn't too helpful and I can only make out problems with fitting shimano front mechs.

Not many ride reports about and I'm having second thoughts and thinking of cancelling my order as all I read is problems. :S

which problems? my shimano slx mech fits perfect... german mtb-news forum is lacking ride reports as well, nobody (besides myself) has posted anything beyond "wow", "excellent" etc etc.

I'm not a heavy pedaler and doing the uphill is just a means for hitting the down in my case. I have no real comparison for uphill performance, but I met up with one guy from the german forum to let him test ride mine. he had a trek slash and ordered an ion16 right after riding mine, he was blazing fast on the up (I felt like I was going backwards ) and did a good job going down and said it was loads better than his slash up and down.

I recently did an all day shuttle assisted 8 runs on one of my favorite trails and have to say the dh performance is immaculate. it has a totally solid and reassuring feel that makes you want to go faster and faster, I was really blown away by the speed at which I could hit really gnarly sections and yet it still is flickable and nimble in the techy stuff.

german "world of mtb" magazine tested 14 enduro bikes in their latest issue and the ion 16 was deemed the ""testcrews favorite". their only gripe was that they felt it could have a slightly steeper seat angle. if you are desperate I could translate a synopsis for you but you'd have to give me a few days because I've got other things to do (like riding my ion16^^)...

I figure that the Ion16 is pretty much a enduro racers dream, maybe not the best on the climb but whoa, going down it's gonna be hard to beat.

yet another of my 2 cents

Axe
    Custom User Title
    which problems? my shimano slx mech fits perfect...
    On my Helius AM - model before the chainstay direct mount - I had to dremel out a corner of SLX short cage front derailleur to fit it properly. Long cage would not fit. I think they design it around SRAM. Not a big deal - most long travel bikes with front derailleur have some fitment issues. We do not hear about them a lot as most bikes are sold as completes, with an appropriate part already installed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It´s true , on my ion 16 the xtr front derailleaur does not work fine , I use a 24/36 sixc crankset with a xtr derailleur and I can´t adjust correct the chain with the 24 chainring , I tried differen combinations of spacers on the cranks and at this moment with the 24t the chain touch the derailleaur , I´m waiting for a response from Nicolai about it and I hope adjust the chain as soon as possible, on vid of last Monday with my ion.

yes, they do design around sram mech. that was recently confirmed by Vinc of N in mtb-news.de forum... I really don't see the problem either and others I know nothing of.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalla View Post
    Are there any more reviews on how the bike rides? I try to read the German forums but google translate isn't too helpful and I can only make out problems with fitting shimano front mechs.

Not many ride reports about and I'm having second thoughts and thinking of cancelling my order as all I read is problems. :S
    I have managed to ride mine about a dozen times and i have no negatives to report, i run a 1 x 10 setup so dont have any issues with drivetrain.

So far i would say it climbs exceptionaly well for me as my previous bike was a Helius AFR which has a very slack seat angle which puts your weight over the back. The downhill qualities are superb, again campairing to my AFR i would say it is better, this must be due to the head angle of 63.5 in low setting with a lyric 170.

My only issue at the moment is the crap monarch rear shock which is a temp solution whilst i wait for my Canecreek DB Air. But even with this lame shock it climbs and decends exceptionaly well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys, certainly put my mind at ease. I guess I was getting attracted to all these new bikes being released and the 650b craze and wondering if i made the right decision.

But I still think the Ion 16 is what I'm after, something that has amazing downhill performance, but can still be ridden uphill, and looking at your reports it certainly seems to be the case.

Cheers

.... something that has amazing downhill performance, but can still be ridden uphill ....
    OH Yes! you will be impressed....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys, certainly put my mind at ease. I guess I was getting attracted to all these new bikes being released and the 650b craze and wondering if i made the right decision.

But I still think the Ion 16 is what I'm after, something that has amazing downhill performance, but can still be ridden uphill, and looking at your reports it certainly seems to be the case.

Cheers
    people of Nicolai said that this year will be an Ion16 650b

mtbr member
    Was told my ION16 will start production this Monday, with a early June delivery. Getting pretty stoked!!

How is everyone liking their built ION16s? Any lessons learned, build/kit items your really glad put on, things you wouldn't recommend, etc...?

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Sorry, made double post.
    Cheers,

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Had to cancel mine due to wife getting unexpectedly pregnant
    Last edited by Nalla; 04-10-2014 at 02:10 AM.

mtbr member
    If it makes you guys feel any better I ordered my Helius AC Pinion in December, was told it would be here in February. Still waiting. I'm looking forward to it though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0