I can finally Felius the Helius........... Yeah Baby- Mtbr.com
    "Its All Good"

Good job! I can finally Felius the Helius........... Yeah Baby

Well, the Helius FR is finally built.............. Has been a chaos few days, been away for work, then sorting the build, then no 1.5 hS spacers, usual small things... I actually thought I would get a short ride, but that only tuned out to be on the street...

So some pictures of her build, HS is yet to be sorted to the final height, so the little things to do, I get on a plane to New Zealand from Barcelona on around 3 hours. So will post more when I ride her on 26th at this point...

She feels good, have not yet got the chain guide on etc, will need to dremmel etc, but am very happy with the build

Dang the 1.5 Ck HS's in the flesh a mean as, the Talas looks great with the 1.5 Head Tube, it means business..

The Short Cage Rear Der is working a treat, so time will tell, no shifty into the big ring...

Some pics, felt I owed you these before it takes me 35 hours to get to New Zealand. Am sure I will log in from the airport in Hong Kong...

Later
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"Its All Good"
    More
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"Its All Good"
    few more

Drink...sleep
    Awesome stuff Whafe, really really cool! (and can't wait to get mine )

'All over it!'
    Looks as smart as Whafe. You are a lucky man. I actually wish I had the 1.5inch head now, but still happy with my choice. My frame is now in UK and so is the shock. Now can't pick it up until after Xmas as flying. A lovely machine my friend. Incidently, I am going to be using the black steel spring on my CCDB, has anybody had any dramas in spring rate between the steel and Ti versions?

Once again, nice ride bro!

"El Whatever"
    Speechless....

Man... Gotta love it. Everything on it.

Gorgeous. Gorgeous. Drop dead gorgeous.

Have a safe trip!!
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Hi All from Barcelona airport......LOL... Thanks for the heads up... Long way to go, she was really just built, so plenty of work to do to get things sorted and adjusted etc.....

The CCDB shick will take a bit to sort, will start when I arrive back home in NZ, have left as I said the Head tube length with plenty, want to get it right...

Have not done any measurements as was requested yet, will get there...

The chain guide will take some fiddling for sure.... Whoa 3 Shinamo parts on this build.. Cranks, front der and the break mount, the Magura one didnt work with the fork... May have the incorrect one...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This might be the one and only time I would actually recommend those damn camoflauge rims.

What front ring combo are you going to run with the short cage changer?

Nice bike.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Beauty whafer! Masterpiece post on a FR rig tho??!!

Lay off the Levers
    Holy freakin wow!

Dammed sweet buildup Whafe! You really put the devil into the details!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Ti is addictive
    Absolutely Stunning Whafe!!!!!!!!!

You are the master at puttin together some of the finest steeds in existence.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

FM
    mtbr member
    Wow, nice ride!

Whafe and Err- please PM me with your home addresses (snail mail)- I have something for you.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Hawt lookin' ride Whafe. The bits on that thing are nuts! Can't wait to hear how she rides.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    OH YEAH!

Congrats! Looks very cool!

Drop that big ring though and get a chainguide

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Very purposeful build.
    Any idea how much she weighs?

a tight kick sound
    ...................... ooooooooo

....................... aaaaahhhhhh

...................... uhhhhhhhhmmmmm

Nice stuff wafester! She is a beauty. Thanks for the pics bro!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Very very very very very very very very very very very very... Well, you know. Nice.

I'm curious about the shock mounting. It's something I've just now noticed actually, but is there a reason most shocks on Nicolai's are mounted piggy-back to the rocker? It seems to me it would add more "sprung" weight to the rear. (A small amount I know) Is this a recomended install?
    Last edited by Uncle Cliffy; 12-22-2007 at 08:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

"Its All Good"
    Hi from Hong Kong, 1 12 hour flight and am home for Christmas......

Will answer in more detail when I am not standing ata n internet booth with thse rude pricks snorting and sniffing in that green flem sh!t then spitting it out.. IN PUBLIC. Worst thinig about Asia... A small detail, I must be tired..

Dusty - No Camo rims for me, not my thing.......... No colour...

rroader - This is not a FR rig,it is like a GheyFX, extreme XC riding as DT puts it.... I have had almost 4 years on my other Thomson Masterpiece, so am confident.... May go with some sort of seatpost thingy majingy though.

Zilla - Its all about the details...

Cheers TiEndo - I learnt from the best..........

FM - Thanks bro, will indeed send my address when I get on my Lappy

Smith - Bro read the words in the thread...LOL... Have the chain guide etc, needs time to put it on, it will need some dremmel work etc.... So be done soon...

lordmike - Cheers bro, I have built her for a specific purpose for sure. Weight wise never had time to do it, was balls out getting it built, then had to pack it for the flights home. I will be interested on the weight, not from a weeny point of view at all, but more so from the workings I did from the manufacturers weights etc... I am thinking around 33 pounds... Not to worried about the weight, it is for a purpose...

Booner, I will get some more pis when it is fully dialed, and the little adjustments are done...

Uncle C - I guess it is a carry over from the more engineered design aspect of Nicolai, the function over form.. Good question though, maybe some more peeps with knowledge on this can learn us.... Sir Dr IKE Cheeze, any thoughts on this ????

Later..........

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    GEEEEESSSH WHAFE....such a hot bike! Just awesome! Congrats!!!

The Master Of BLING!!!!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Uncle C - I guess it is a carry over from the more engineered design aspect of Nicolai, the function over form.. Good question though, maybe some more peeps with knowledge on this can learn us.... Sir Dr IKE Cheeze, any thoughts on this ????
    I thought form over function as well. I think it looks good this way.

This frame is very interesting. I've been looking for a suitable replacement for my Bottlerocket. (Which I'm stoked on in the handling department.) It just doesn't have the Nicolai quality... When you have a minute if you don't mind, could you measure the BB height and a head tube to axel measurement on your bike and let me know?

P.S. Maxle axle in the rear right? edit: Never mind, saw in another thread that's what you ordered...
    Last edited by Uncle Cliffy; 12-23-2007 at 10:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy

This frame is very interesting. I've been looking for a suitable replacement for my Bottlerocket. (Which I'm stoked on in the handling department.) It just doesn't have the Nicolai quality... When you have a minute if you don't mind, could you measure the BB height and a head tube to axel measurement on your bike and let me know?
    =?
    http://www.nicolai.net/products/e-fr...helius-fr.html

Click on tech specs should give you all the info you need

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Click on tech specs should give you all the info you need
    Been there, done that... I know their reference measurements are taken with a fork that has 540mm axel to crown, but I was looking for a real world measurement with the size tires, headset and fork that Whafe has...

I will probably run a Cane Creek Double XC flush headset with my 06 66RC2X Marzocchi. (555mm axel to crown) These measurements are minimal, but I'm pretty anal about them considering I've been thinking about ordering a frame with custom geo. Something along the lines of my large Bottlerocket. (Maybe 435mm seat tube, 610mm eff. top tube, and a 355mm BB height.)

My mini-shuttle play dream bike... I should maybe start my own thread on this right? This is about Whafes bike you know... If you're going custom you better be right! Right?

wyrd bi ful rd
    Whafe ... bike looks magic ... looks good without the decals ... actually ... will also look good with them on ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi from Hong Kong, 1 12 hour flight and am home for Christmas......

Will answer in more detail when I am not standing ata n internet booth with thse rude pricks snorting and sniffing in that green flem sh!t then spitting it out.. IN PUBLIC. Worst thinig about Asia... A small detail, I must be tired..

Dusty - No Camo rims for me, not my thing.......... No colour...

rroader - This is not a FR rig,it is like a GheyFX, extreme XC riding as DT puts it.... I have had almost 4 years on my other Thomson Masterpiece, so am confident.... May go with some sort of seatpost thingy majingy though.

Zilla - Its all about the details...

Cheers TiEndo - I learnt from the best..........

FM - Thanks bro, will indeed send my address when I get on my Lappy

Smith - Bro read the words in the thread...LOL... Have the chain guide etc, needs time to put it on, it will need some dremmel work etc.... So be done soon...

lordmike - Cheers bro, I have built her for a specific purpose for sure. Weight wise never had time to do it, was balls out getting it built, then had to pack it for the flights home. I will be interested on the weight, not from a weeny point of view at all, but more so from the workings I did from the manufacturers weights etc... I am thinking around 33 pounds... Not to worried about the weight, it is for a purpose...

Booner, I will get some more pis when it is fully dialed, and the little adjustments are done...

Later..........

Sterling effort answering every reply within an airport transfer.
    Now, if only other airports offered free WiFi like HK!

mtbr member
    Super keen to hear how that CCDB sucks up the hits.. where did you get it from and how much did you pay?

mtbr member
    looks great. I notice the headtube doesn't appear to have a big N machined into it like my 1 1/8th headtube has. Was this custom so you could fit that HT badge?

Would love to hear your thoughts on the CCDB before I take the plunge. How heavy are you and what spring rate are you running?

oh...and am i the only one that hates the feel of those Easton CNT bars? The DH's are nice but the XC's are just weird. Other than that it's spot on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Australia doesn't have a Cane Creek distro so I went direct to Malcom who quoted me $650US with steal and $850US with Ti spring. 3 week turn-around.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Looks freakin' killer Whafe!!!

Can't wait to hear the first ride report.

Trophy Husband
    Holy Fvck!
    Extreme stationary biker.

"Its All Good"
    Back home in New Zealand... Yeah ha, go the Marmite and Ginger Nuts and BULK sheep....

WIll give a report when I go for a ride, in the the next few days

Later...

mtbr member
    Back home in New Zealand... Yeah ha, go the Marmite and Ginger Nuts and BULK sheep....

Later...
    Grats on safe arrival home to NZ. I am happy for ya!!

(Awesome bike too. There is no other bike with welds/drop jaw appeal like a Nicholai IMO. Grats again. )
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

thats right living legend
    Whafe, your taste in bikes is delicious!!!

Would you ever consider adopting me?

rr
    I don't do PC

Later...
    Whafe did you hear about TA? Checkout the thread on the Turner board

So is your face
    Holy crap! I just saw this thread. That bike is f'in sick Whafe! You sure know how to treat yourself. I expect ride pictures by this weekend.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

Just roll it......
    Holy.......bloody hell, Whafe!!

Dude, you're the f'ing king of bling. Very nice looking. Hope all is well in NZ and you're getting lots of time with Mia.

Happy Holidays brotha!
    EB

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Holy.......bloody hell, Whafe!!

Dude, you're the f'ing king of bling. Very nice looking. Hope all is well in NZ and you're getting lots of time with Mia.

Happy Holidays brotha!
    EB
    Merry Christmas brah

Yep, pure functional bling.... It is an awesome bike to ride, wrote a little first ride post up with some action pictures, all good

Mia is great, so awesome to see her, knocked me for a six...

Later bro

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    sic

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    wow...Whafe!

sorry I am late to the party...but that bike is freaking unbelievable!

enjoy it bro!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by lordmike
    Now, if only other airports offered free WiFi like HK!
    the tiny little airport in San Jos, Costa Rica does

"Its All Good"
    Yeah baby, it is

breathing helium
    Yeah, I'm late to the party too. Man, what a stellar looking ride! I can only imagine that it rides as nice as it looks. With this bike and the Jones, you are building the most impressive arsenal of high end bikes I've ever heard of. Nice!

Members who have read this thread: 0