Helius FR v Turner RFX / 6-Pack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helius FR v Turner RFX / 6-Pack

Anyone owned both of these care to comment with their opinions?

I'm currently running a 6-Pack but fancy changing to the Helius FR. I really like the Pack though so it has to at least as good

I'm not after assumptions or c*** struck brand whores (from either side) who've only ridden one or the other . I'd like as non biased an opinion as is possible from those who have owned or extensively ridden both. fair enough?

I've had the Pack for a couple of years now and it's been through many incarnations. TNT spot rear end 5-Pack, 5" oldie RFX rockers, DHX-C, RP23, Pushed Van, Roco TST, CCDB, loads of forks etc. I've eventually settled on the origimal format albiet with the CCDB. It's currently off getting a new lick of paint. it's a brilliant frame but it may be time for a change.

Oct 2005
    Uh oh, time to hear Crazy Fred **** all over Turner again.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Dipper.

This is in fact very simple.Turner does make a very very nich bike(where and how you ride BIG factor)Nicolai just makes a better one..Turner is a super nice GM and Nicolai is a Benz.ALL my crew rode Turner's and 6.6's and are now mostly all on Nicolai's(and soon to be Knolly's)CF....

a tight kick sound
    OK, I'll play. I have had both frames about 1 year on each. Multiple types of riding to test each out: Long fire road climbs, tight fast descents, jump parks (though I suck), tight smooth single track and rocky rough climbs.

Let me just start off by saying the helius FR was a medium and prolly a little small for me.
    My rfx is a large and prolly a little big for me.

Ok, first off the rfx with the 6" rockers is a pretty tall bike for me, not cause the frame is that much too big but the BB is pretty dang tall for my liking. 14.5" is way more than I will ever need even on a DH bike. I just don't like it. My rfx is now in the 5 pack mode (rfx front triangle with a 5 spot rear and rockers). I find this set-up Very nice and balanced. Cimbs well in and out of the saddle, corners pretty good, though still a little high with the 14.2" BB. Jumps very nice and balanced. The seat tube is right around 20" which I feel is a little too long. I cannot get the seat down far enough. The medium would be way to short of a TT. The rfx does pretty well on small stutter bumps, I have a dhx air so that might be part of the reason it is not super The rfx frame is pretty stiff...not nicolai stiff but good. Super, super super easy to work on!!!

RFX in summary:
    Climbs well, descends well, well balanced and smooth, relaxed ride. Tough to get the sizing correct (though the 07-08 have changed). EASY to work on!

The helius fr that I had was also set-up with a dhx air. Most of the time I ran it in the 5 or 5.5 mode travel setting as it just felt better and it matched my pike fork better. This bike may look similar to the rfx and be intended for the same purpose but man I could not call them similar by any means. The ride is way different (admittedly might have a bit to due with different sizes). The helius sets you right up in a nicely balanced position on the frame, HOWEVER, do not get lazy with this bike. It likes to be pushed hard in and out of corners and rewards the aggro rider very well. If you are lazy it does not reward you at all; it feels slow, the front tire does not grip and bite into the turns and the overall balance is not maintained. The BB was quite a bit lower on the helius making carving turns a bit more pleasurable for me. Though again, lazy cornering is not nearly as crisp on this frame as lazy tunring on the rfx. With the seat down a bit and the fork all the way out, the Helius was an absolute ripper on the DH, slightly more plush than the rfx, tighter and faster in the corners, maybe a bit stiffer but that is negligable. Jumping was super smooth on this frame too; well balnaced and easy to control.
    Working on the helius was a bit confusing. I don't think removing the bearings would be nearly as easy as removing the bushing system on the turner, thought the bearings don't really ever need to be removed on a nicolai...maybe just need some extra grease added which is super easy. Mute point...maybe, maybe not if you like mucking with your bikes?

Helius in summary:
    Solid construction, very stiff frame. Rewards the aggro rider and not so much the lazy rider. Very smooth and balanced climbing and descending. GREAT little ripper on the DH and jumps (take care to read the sizing was different between my frames here!!) nice low BB (13.75). Little tough to climb out of the saddle, again maybe size diff, very minimal bobbing on hard climbs.

Overall the only real diff I can find between the two are feel/position on the bike (outside of tinkering with the frame). The helius had a very steep feeling seat tube which made for an aggro riding position and the rfx feels a little more slack. I did have a 140 on the helius and have a 160 on the rfx which could contribute to this feel a little. Though I think the seat tube was still a little steaper on the helius.

Anyway, if you wanna try something different, you want the bling and quality that is synonomous with Nicolai then go for it. The helius will perform great in all the same arenas that the rfx does; it will outshine in some and maybe not quite so much in others
    If I had the dough I would be on the helius again (I already have a ufo st). I don't so I have the turner rfx.

Both prolly the best frames I have ever had the pleasure of owning! Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    May 2006

So in other words,

If you had the money you would be on a Nicolai,you don't(no disrespect)so you ride a RFX.right?CF..

a tight kick sound
    That is about right
    No disrespect taken.

steep fast and loose :)
    oh dear - i can hear the jingling of pound coins in my pockets

Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    Kind of like Araby?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    yeah, but with your short arms and deep pockets you'll never reach them

banned
    Can some one out there tell me what the nicolai frame whieghs
    the web site says 3.9 kg which is 8.5 lb Is that with the coil shock they have in the pick ???? looks to me like a fox DHX 5.0 ???

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Artin Aga
    Can some one out there tell me what the nicolai frame whieghs
    the web site says 3.9 kg which is 8.5 lb Is that with the coil shock they have in the pick ???? looks to me like a fox DHX 5.0 ???
    Historically the frame weight is quoted as picture/typically setup and their estimates are rather accurate for a size medium. All three of my frames have weighed almost exactly as claimed.

So yeah, 8.5lbs with a coil shock and steel spring.

banned
    I just got a price from the Canadian dealer for 3000 dollars + tax for the frame
    OUCH thats crazy I paid 3400 cnd tax included for my Yeti 303
    what r you guys paying in the US for them ????

a tight kick sound
    Pm Err He will sort you out!

banned
    ok I have a stupid question here
    How the HECK DO YOU GUYS PUT THOSE AVITAR in this forum
    they say the pixel dimention should b 80 x 80
    at that size the file is 32 k bites not 7.5 k wtf
    Last edited by Artin Aga; 10-18-2007 at 11:45 AM.

banned
    ok never mind that last post I have it figured out

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I just got a price from the Canadian dealer for 3000 dollars + tax for the frame
    OUCH thats crazy I paid 3400 cnd tax included for my Yeti 303
    what r you guys paying in the US for them ????

Give a shout and I'll hook it up.

banned
    I will are you a store ????

"Its All Good"
    Yes Toni (Err) is Blacksheep Cycles.........................I bought my Nicolai Nucleon TFR off of Toni, have ordered my second Nicolai from Toni.

Toni is well worth having a yarn to... Top bloke all round......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Yeah, I work for Black Sheep Cycles, www.blacksheepcycles.com. Shoot me an email at [email protected]

I've got a few Nic's of my own and keep Booner and Whafe in supply among others.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Email

Hey Boone

Drop me a line will ya? [email protected] I would like to hear more on your thoughts on what a RFX/ Helius class bike should be, add it to the 'others' opinions I collect, and see what '09 will bring.

David Turner

banned

Here is a wish list

7 lb frame for a meduim size with Air shock
    13.75 " bb
    17" Chain stays
    23 " top tube (meduim)
    44.5 wheel base (meduim)
    17" Cahin stays
    67.5 Head tube
    72.5 seat tube
    pedals like a foes Fxr ( progresive suspention with a good Ramp up)
    Takes a square edge hit like a turner Horst link
    No break Jack ( like the Turner horst link)
    the quality ??? Dave keep that as is, love the Bushings and the frame look
    Turner quality has always been excelent
    That in my opinion would b the perfect bike for all day fun in any terrain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    Hey Boone

Drop me a line will ya? [email protected] I would like to hear more on your thoughts on what a RFX/ Helius class bike should be, add it to the 'others' opinions I collect, and see what '09 will bring.

David Turner
    Nah, F-that. You defined the light weight freeride bike. RFX/6-pack is a hot bike. I like what you're doing, the new DHR scares me .

keeping it real in America.

a tight kick sound
    Wow
    Dang, DT. I really like both bikes a ton. Anyone would never go wrong with either!!
    I will send you some thoughts, though I for sure am no expert.

B

Members who have read this thread: 0