Helius FR - Before I buy questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helius FR - Before I buy questions

Ok so after riding a Satanic Cruz for a while im thinking of coming over and trying some of Germany's finest. I am particularly interested in the Helius FR. if got a few questions though and although a lot of the existing threads have given me a nice overview Id love some feedback I know im gunna buy one.. just need to finalize the spec

• Is a 66 ata or totem too much for this? I like to have a bit more beef up front for those lift assist days.
    • Does the frame require a shock with a platform. Coming from a Nomad which needs no platform really can I get away with the same on the FR and run minimal or no low speed compression dampening? Thus would a shock like a Rocco WC or DHX5 coil be a good match for the frame or is it worth shelling out for the CCDB to have finite control over low speed compression dampening?
    • I'm a bit wary of the steepish seat angle. Has anyone else slacked theirs out a bit? I'm a bit more lazy than aggressive when riding so id like the bike to cut me break sometimes Taking it to 72 might make it that little less sketchy for me.
    • Is the 12mm thru-axle option worth it? BTW can you run a 10mm option on a normal frame?
    • How easy is it to remove all the pivots and bearings. I have this mad idea of getting it sent over unpainted raw, and then getting it polished here as Karl said they don't do a polished option!

Any help appreciated

Cant wait to join the family

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Ok so after riding a Satanic Cruz for a while im thinking of coming over and trying some of Germany's finest. I am particularly interested in the Helius FR. if got a few questions though and although a lot of the existing threads have given me a nice overview Id love some feedback I know im gunna buy one.. just need to finalize the spec

• Is a 66 ata or totem too much for this? I like to have a bit more beef up front for those lift assist days.
    • Does the frame require a shock with a platform. Coming from a Nomad which needs no platform really can I get away with the same on the FR and run minimal or no low speed compression dampening? Thus would a shock like a Rocco WC or DHX5 coil be a good match for the frame or is it worth shelling out for the CCDB to have finite control over low speed compression dampening?
    • I'm a bit wary of the steepish seat angle. Has anyone else slacked theirs out a bit? I'm a bit more lazy than aggressive when riding so id like the bike to cut me break sometimes Taking it to 72 might make it that little less sketchy for me.
    • Is the 12mm thru-axle option worth it? BTW can you run a 10mm option on a normal frame?
    • How easy is it to remove all the pivots and bearings. I have this mad idea of getting it sent over unpainted raw, and then getting it polished here as Karl said they don't do a polished option!

Any help appreciated

Cant wait to join the family

1. You *could* run a 66 ATA or a Totem Air with slightly reduced travel but the frame is really going to be right on the money with a 36/Lyric/55.

2. Being a Horst-Link, it is FULLY active. A bit of low speed compression dampening helps when climbing. The smoother your cadence, the less this is an issue. As Whafe would say, the CCDB is the ducks nuts. If you are picky, you can set it to EXACTLY how you want it to feel. Otherwise, a DHX will work great.

3. The steep ST angle makes climbing a breeze. It puts your weigh up over the front end and keeps it planted. If you want the seat of the way a little more on the DH, opt for a shorter seat tube.

4. The Maxle is definitely worth getting. It's very light, tool-free, and much faster to remove than any other thru-axle offering. You can run a 10mm if you like and in that case I would recommend the DT Swiss RWS setup.

5. The bearings are press fit, if you are familiar and comfortable with extraction and installation, it should be no problem. You might want a spare set of bearings in case of a mishap.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

mtbr member
    Err thanks for the detailed response. Couple of follow up questions.

I can only see an option for a 12mm rear end.. do i need to ask for a 10mm for a maxle or can i get a 12 mm maxle when ordering?

"The bearings are press fit, if you are familiar and comfortable with extraction and installation, it should be no problem. You might want a spare set of bearings in case of a mishap."

Previously when getting out press fit bearings its a bit messy and generally ruined them. What is a good way of getting them out without killing them?

Cheers

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Karve,

Sorry if I wasn't clear on the Maxle thing. 12mm is the only option if you want to run a Maxle. I would STRONGLY suggest that you go for this option. The stock dropouts are standard 10mm if you want to go that route.

I have a collection of rods, sockets, and washers for pressing bearings in and out. I takes a bit of practice to be able to reliably do it without hurting the bearings. If you do tear up the bearings or the frame, it will be expensive to fix, so be careful or pay someone else to do it.

"Its All Good"
    [*]Does the frame require a shock with a platform. Coming from a Nomad which needs no platform really can I get away with the same on the FR and run minimal or no low speed compression dampening? Thus would a shock like a Rocco WC or DHX5 coil be a good match for the frame or is it worth shelling out for the CCDB to have finite control over low speed compression dampening?
    Karve

Sounds all good, good to hear you coming on board with a bit of German engineering...

On the question of Platform, dipper in another post just gave some thought son it, he has just got his FR up and running... He is going to post more of a report in a new thread..

On the fork front, I run a Totem on my Nucleon, I dont think you need to go quite that much, a few of the fellas, FM, Err etc are having a great run with the 08 Fox 36 forks..

Yep, as Err says, the CCDB is the ducks nuts, I would go this way if it is a possibility...

I am going with the Maxel, am down with the extra strength, I feel the weight addition is well worth it for the benefits....

Keep us updated, all good and exciting...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    How much weight does a maxel set up give you I wonder?

Just another ? for all the helius FR dudes out there.. does the bike natively have 2 cable guides running along the top tube.. looking to run a speedball with a remote lever which which is why im asking

"Its All Good"
    How much weight does a maxel set up give you I wonder?
    karve, I think it is 2 10ths of piss all, only a matter of grams, as I mentioned, am going with it, the benfits will outweigh the slight weight gain of a few grams....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

'All over it!'
    Another vote here for the 12mm Maxle, as a bit of a clyde, it will benefit me!

mtbr member
    Ok so how does it work when ordering.. do i have to specify a maxle rear end or just the standard 12mm and the maxle will fit it?

i assume i have to buy one of these separately?

http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/acce...index.php#tab4

'All over it!'
    When you place your order for your frame/colour options etc, if you specify the 12mm Maxle, it all comes complete. I am sure this is how it works after speaking with my dealer here in UK.

"Its All Good"
    Agree, so i ordered mine with the 12mm Maxle option, and it is coming with the whole kit n kaboodle for the maxle...... they say it is stiffer than a honeymooners chopper, so will tkae a pounding.......................LOL

mtbr member
    Sweet.. i fI was thinking about an option on the rear shock would the rocco tst be a better option with the tst or the Rocco WC with its adjustable high speed dampening?

'All over it!'
    If you PM dipper, he has his FR built up with a Rocco TST and seems to be loving it.

wyrd bi ful rd
    i have a CC with Horst-Link as well and I do not need to lock the shock on climbs and it was just sweet.

BTW i read somewhere that the 08 FR has another set up on the rear shock to bring the travel down a bit. has anyone tried it out? what is the travel? the spec on the website only specified 167mm travel. 6.57".

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    i have a CC with Horst-Link as well and I do not need to lock the shock on climbs and it was just sweet.

BTW i read somewhere that the 08 FR has another set up on the rear shock to bring the travel down a bit. has anyone tried it out? what is the travel? the spec on the website only specified 167mm travel. 6.57".
    When Cris and I visited the Nicolai factory, Karl and Falco mentioned that the optimum travel on the Helius FR was some 6 inches, as with the ION for informations sake, 8 inch was the best setting as opposed to the available 9 inches...

Those settings are where they say everything is working like a well oiled machine, the G Spot should we say...

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Ok so how does it work when ordering.. do i have to specify a maxle rear end or just the standard 12mm and the maxle will fit it?

i assume i have to buy one of these separately?

http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/acce...index.php#tab4

All of the Nicolai frames being delivered in the US include the Maxle. BTI stocks the kits though, so any bike shop can get you a replacement should you ever need it.

mtbr member
    Cheers all on the maxle from.. deffo going to order with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    When Cris and I visited the Nicolai factory, Karl and Falco mentioned that the optimum travel on the Helius FR was some 6 inches, as with the ION for informations sake, 8 inch was the best setting as opposed to the available 9 inches...

Those settings are where they say everything is working like a well oiled machine, the G Spot should we say...
    Hmm I wonder how you change to that setting and how it affects the geo?

wyrd bi ful rd
    ... Hmm I wonder how you change to that setting and how it affects the geo? ...
    believe me ... you do not want to change your position if you have already found the G-spot??? LOL

mtbr member
    Im going to go for a medium with a short frames seat tube to get that much needed standover.. no idea how that will look.. anyone had this done and got any pics?

"Its All Good"
    Karve, I knkow that Err got a customised build on his Nicolai, dont think it will look at all odd, more so if it fits you better and you can find that G Spot, all good really....

Am stoked, mine ships from Nicolai to me on Dec 3rd, so fingers crossed.... Will not have all stuff by then, but to have the frame in my bed is all good.....

mtbr member
    I have been advised that it is actually better to go for a small with a med TT anyone had that? Order placed.. only 8 weeks to wait lol

'All over it!'
    And what an agonising 8 weeks that will be my friend!

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    Be worth the 8 weeks....

Lorni, any word on yours, mine could be in my mits next Friday.... Not enough components yet to build it..............

mtbr member
    Well in reality it could be longer than that.. ive always wanted a polished frame.. something Nicolai do not provide. I know the Nicolai paint jobs are awesome but i just love the polished look.

So get this..l am having one sent over raw... which might look awesome but then... im going to get it striped it down.. get it polished up and put it back together?

Should be one of a kind.. but im thinking I wont have a frame ready to build up for 12 weeks or so!

"Its All Good"
    Well in reality it could be longer than that.. ive always wanted a polished frame.. something Nicolai do not provide. I know the Nicolai paint jobs are awesome but i just love the polished look.

So get this..l am having one sent over raw... which might look awesome but then... im going to get it striped it down.. get it polished up and put it back together?

Should be one of a kind.. but im thinking I wont have a frame ready to build up for 12 weeks or so!
    Sheesh buddy, thats going to look wicked, cant wait to see it, roll on February, will come quickly for sure..... You can get some stoke of ours when they come....

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Sounds nice. The small ST combined with the med TT will be money!

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    I have been advised that it is actually better to go for a small with a med TT anyone had that? Order placed.. only 8 weeks to wait lol
    Yeah, smaller size with a longer TT is the way to go.

The thing is, cutting down the ST on a Nicolai frame does not yield any more standover height. They literally cut off a piece of the seat tube and remove the now unnecessary brace between the ST and TT. That allows for dropping the seat a bit lower but the standover remains the same.

My '07 FR is a small (16.7 in) with an 'almost large' TT (600 mm / 23.6 in) and I'm very glad I opted for a custom geo since a stock frame would've been too tall for me.

Congrats on placing the order. 8 weeks is fine - I had been waiting for mine for 8 months

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith
    Congrats on placing the order. 8 weeks is fine - I had been waiting for mine for 8 months
    Hear ya bro, your 8 months one month longer than my 7 on the Nucleon... 8 weeks is a walk in the park...

My Helius will be in total 14 weeks from order till I receive it, thats if it arrives next week.....Fingers, legs, arms, balls crossed................

wyrd bi ful rd
    ... always wanted a polished frame .. am having one sent over raw... which might look awesome but then... im going to get it striped it down.. get it polished up and put it back together? ...
    Cannot wait to have a look at this ... a polished nicolai ...

wyrd bi ful rd
    Whafe ... looking forward to your build ... just take pictures along the way ... will not wait for the whole bike to be done ...
    Last edited by chinaman; 12-01-2007 at 07:15 AM.

wyrd bi ful rd
    BTW Karve ... my build for the CC has some pretty heavy components which will be just at home on an FR, if not better ...
    Last edited by chinaman; 12-01-2007 at 07:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Yea.. well hopefully i can do a good job on it and convice Karl that its an option they should be offering

Heres the spec

Helius FR frame no shock
    1.5 headtube
    Maxle rear end
    Custom Geo - small frame with medium top tube
    Red levers and bearing caps

spec :- raw finish, gloss black stickers, derailleur cable guides, no crud mounts, bottle bosses on down tube

All I have to decide is the shock.. current choice is a roco TST but need to look into it a bit more.. ill probably get it as soon as I know the frame is arriving

Chinaman u are uk based right.. did you get yours from Head for the Hills?

wyrd bi ful rd

Here's the spec

Helius FR frame no shock
    1.5 headtube
    Maxle rear end
    Custom Geo - small frame with medium top tube
    Red levers and bearing caps

spec :- raw finish, gloss black stickers, derailleur cable guides, no crud mounts, bottle bosses on down tube

Chinaman u are uk based right.. did you get yours from Head for the Hills?
    Could not quite afford a new frame ... well actually that is incorrect ... could afford one but the missus will have my head if I did and I do not want to go around as 'headless nicolai', so I got it second hand off ebay. Took awhile to get the colours and size right but definitely worth it ... did go down to 'head for the hills' to have a 'real life' closeup look at the frame ...

nice spec you got there ... I have been 'secretly' looking around for an FR as well ...

What would anyone recommend as the max height to go dropping off on a CC? Did a couple the other day off about 2-3 feet drops ... absolutely sweet ... just a bit worried it is a bit heavy work for the frame.

mtbr member
    Ive gone 5ft to flat on my 120mm prophet with a lefty and riden down Pila Black runs and Fort William on it.. modern bikes can take a good beating.. i would imagine that the helius CC can take some burly stuff. Even more so than my flexy prophet.

wyrd bi ful rd
    ... gone 5ft to flat on my 120mm prophet with a lefty and riden down Pila Black runs and Fort William on it ...
    Cheers K. Are you UK based? Dont think there is a 'Fort William' in the states right ...

BTW ... rear shock ... there is a cane creek DB on sale on ebay ... but it is 222mm E2E with 2.5" stroke 0.25" longer. The FR takes a 200mm 2.25" stroke, but can you actually shift the front mounting tabs a bit further along the rails just so that you can mount a 222mm! Hopefully at full stroke the rear tyre will not hit the seat tube ... can only check this out if you have the frame though ...

I am using a 200mm 2.25" stroke shock instead of the 2.00" stroke on my CC, at full stroke, the tyre just about miss my seat tube ...

"Its All Good"
    2 to 3 foot jumps should be sweet on a CC................... I guess there is smooth jumpers and non smooth jumpers, thats where the idea of what a bike can handle gets blurred so to speak....

Attached is a pic I took of one of the riders on a CC when I was riding that day in Lynn Woods, the CC handled it easy peasy......

But for sure the ideal would be a speed demon CC built quite light for pure XC riding, then a more burlier FR for more AM type riding...... It is precisely what I am building my FR for, I want to be able to more or less pop off of any ramp, jump, frop in the trail without having to really think it through if the frame will break etc.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Cheers K. Are you UK based? Dont think there is a 'Fort William' in the states right ...
    Yep thats right.. im Epping based but ride all the time round Leith hill and Dorking. im getting the frame through Dan at Head for the Hills. Is that your patch?
    Last edited by Karve; 12-01-2007 at 03:19 PM.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Yep thats right.. im Epping based but ride all the time round Leith hill and Dorking. im getting the frame through Dan at Head for the Hills. Is that your patch?
    Yeah ... still have bits of Leith & Holmbury Hill that I have not covered ... Redlands mainly & Pitch Hill ... if I see a new polished FR around will give a shout ...

'All over it!'
    Hi Whafe, sorry for the delay in replying, been away for the weekend. No news of yet. I know the frame should be delivered to the dealer sometime this week, then they are fitting the CCDB, then it should be ready to be sent all being well.

I can't wait to get my grubby paws on it, although I have no parts yet apart from forks, headset and wheels. May wait until after the xmas break then build it up before I go away. Any news on your baby yet?

'All over it!'
    There has been some interesting chat since being away. Chinaman, I am currently between Colchester and Cambridge. Got my FR from Moonglu in Ripon. They knew I was keen for the frame, so switched their demo model for my Cammo FR, how cool was that? I know Dorking as used to be in the Guildford area, some nice rides down there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi,

I'll use this thread to ask a few questions as well regarding the FR. Well, it may apply to other Nicolai bikes though.

Looking the webpage I am not entirely sure if the claimed weight includes the shock. If it does, what shock is used?

Also, does the price include the shock and again, which one?

I guess the options, like a 1.5HT, add to the price?

Thanks,
    Sylvain

"Its All Good"
    Lorni, no worries, hoping you had a great weekend away.

Yep, mine is supposed to ship today from Nicolai, I am in Holand for Wednesday night and a meeting Thursday, so could well get my creasy paws on it Friday. Like yoursefl, I have a saddle and a head stem........... So components should well arrive soon I guess. Err is on the job. It is a shame the Fox fork will not really be availabel till January realistically, it is the wait for the 1.5 HS Forks.... I will put ht eTotem on for a bit, lower the travel and rip it up, will be fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sylvain
    Hi,

I'll use this thread to ask a few questions as well regarding the FR. Well, it may apply to other Nicolai bikes though.

Looking the webpage I am not entirely sure if the claimed weight includes the shock. If it does, what shock is used?

Also, does the price include the shock and again, which one?

I guess the options, like a 1.5HT, add to the price?

Thanks,
    Sylvain
    Sylvain, hi there, welcome..

Generally speaking the weights mentioned on the website are for a medium frame with the shock recommended in the specs link. See the below pic I grabbed....

Generally speaking the price includes the shock as used with the weight...

And yes there is a nimonal charge for moving to a 1.5HT. At this point in time it is not the norm in Europe, i think in time it will become this, but anyway, great to have the option...

Hope that helps some......Sing out if we can help more, plenty of people on here will help you out.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

wyrd bi ful rd
    ... Chinaman, I am currently between Colchester and Cambridge. Got my FR from Moonglu in Ripon. They knew I was keen for the frame, so switched their demo model for my Cammo FR, how cool was that? I know Dorking as used to be in the Guildford area, some nice rides down there ...
    The rides around here are all excellant and I try to get out on most weekends. Dont quite like it when it gets too wet and muddy ... very heavy going ... am not keen to push the bike and so have this tendancy to want to pedal up every hill ...

Looking forward to some dryer weather and will go back to Afan ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks a lot sir! I need to think more about it. It would be a significant increase in weight from my trusty 575. Maybe I need a dedicated DH/FR instead of trying a one-bike-for-all.

"Its All Good"
    Thanks a lot sir! I need to think more about it. It would be a significant increase in weight from my trusty 575. Maybe I need a dedicated DH/FR instead of trying a one-bike-for-all.
    No worries, perhaps set up a thread to discuss.

I wouldnt at all say a Helius FR is a FR or DH bike by any means. What type of riding are you looking to do and what do you do riding wise?

The 575 is a very versitile bike for sure, I have a Motolite, of which I put the ML and 575 in the same category... great great bikes, but I liek to jump off things on the trail, this is where the ML lets me down, as would a 575, which is no fault of the frame, its me and what I like to ride...

What does your 575 weigh, 28 lbs, you can build a very capable Helius FR around 32lbs.... Which for me is movig it into a solid AM type ride.....

To compare a Nicolai frame to the 575, you would really need to be looking at the Helius CC......

Hope that makes sense, and I am not at all knoccking the 575.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Whafe is rapidly becoming the local Nicolai expert! Not much I can add his response to your questions Evil Sylvain.

mtbr member

I wouldnt at all say a Helius FR is a FR or DH bike by any means.
    Do you think if built up right it could withstand a whistler weekend

Looking forward to some dryer weather and will go back to Afan ...
    Afans trails are so week built that even on the darkest winter day they are still fab fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I wouldnt at all say a Helius FR is a FR or DH bike by any means. What type of riding are you looking to do and what do you do riding wise?
    In 2007, with the 575, I went to DH resorts twice, I went to Moab and Fruita, but since I am from Quebec do most of my riding in Northeastern NA (Qubec, Ontario, Vermont, Massachusetts). Trails I dig have quite a bit of climbing, real trails mind you, not fireroads, and of course what goes up goes down. They are quite rough, as I love rock gardens, some small drops, rollers, loved Lynn Woods for the technical and roughness of the trails. I missed CF on the we went. Rode with great people still.

The 575 is a very versitile bike for sure, I have a Motolite, of which I put the ML and 575 in the same category... great great bikes, but I liek to jump off things on the trail, this is where the ML lets me down, as would a 575, which is no fault of the frame, its me and what I like to ride...
    Depends how high you like to jump. My friend drop 5-6' with the 575 but with a nice landing.

What does your 575 weigh, 28 lbs, you can build a very capable Helius FR around 32lbs.... Which for me is movig it into a solid AM type ride.....
    Mine is probably 29lbs. I still have the old cranksets from the IH MkIII.

To compare a Nicolai frame to the 575, you would really need to be looking at the Helius CC......
    True. But it's unfortunately not as attractive as the FR.

Hope that makes sense, and I am not at all knoccking the 575.
    No problem. I did not take it that way.

I guess I am just in the mood for a change. I have started MTBiking just a few years ago and would like to try other bikes even though I really like the 575. Also, as you mentionned, there's a feeling that the 575 may be limiting. Although it's as likely that I don't have the balls. Still, I wish to have one bike that I could use for some lite-FR and DH while still using it as my main "aggressive xc" bike.

I already have a Evil Sovereign set-up as a single-speed and just got a Surly Crosscheck for commuting (flip-flop rear hub). But I only have a 2 bedroom apartment!

Thanks for the information and feedback. Here are some pics that I liked from last season.

Climbing:

Jumping:

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Whafe is rapidly becoming the local Nicolai expert! Not much I can add his response to your questions Evil Sylvain.
    No way. Just say whats in my blonde head... Have no techy details of how forks and shocks work or anything......

"Its All Good"
    In 2007, with the 575, I went to DH resorts twice, I went to Moab and Fruita, but since I am from Quebec do most of my riding in Northeastern NA (Qubec, Ontario, Vermont, Massachusetts). Trails I dig have quite a bit of climbing, real trails mind you, not fireroads, and of course what goes up goes down. They are quite rough, as I love rock gardens, some small drops, rollers, loved Lynn Woods for the technical and roughness of the trails. I missed CF on the we went. Rode with great people still.

Depends how high you like to jump. My friend drop 5-6' with the 575 but with a nice landing.

I guess I am just in the mood for a change. I have started MTBiking just a few years ago and would like to try other bikes even though I really like the 575. Also, as you mentionned, there's a feeling that the 575 may be limiting. Although it's as likely that I don't have the balls. Still, I wish to have one bike that I could use for some lite-FR and DH while still using it as my main "aggressive xc" bike.
    I have taken my MotoLite to Fruita, Moab as well, perfect bike. I think though if Moab was at my backdoor, I would kill the bike.... All the trails you mention are perfect terrain etc for the 575 as you explain. I have to grasp what you do at DH resorts thats all. For me, I could have rideden Whistler on my MotoLite, but I wouldnt have had the fun at all. Original Sin would destroy the frame at any actual speed, for sure you could go down O Sin at a slow pace and role stuff etc. But for me that is not what a DH resort is for.. Just my thoughts....

the key words here is nice landing, you can jump loads when you have a good tranny or landing. The day you dont have a good tranny etc and start landing true 6 footers is the day in my opinion we would kiss our 575 and ML's goodbye....

29lbs is respectable for sure.

The goal of building a one bike that could light FR and be your main aggresive XC AM ride, for me is exactly what I am doing, which is the Helius FR for me, mine will build up to around 32 lbs, which for me I am happy to have the extra 4lbs to take me to a strong Agressive XC AM ride that will take a beating.......

Err, chime in bro, you are more elequant than I at explaining...

So to sum up in my words. To replace your 575 for the riding you do now, I would get a Helius CC and if you wanted to build your one bike for Light FR and Aggresive XC AM, for sure would build up a Helius FR.......................

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have taken my MotoLite to Fruita, Moab as well, perfect bike. I think though if Moab was at my backdoor, I would kill the bike.... All the trails you mention are perfect terrain etc for the 575 as you explain. I have to grasp what you do at DH resorts thats all.
    I am not doing anything special. Those were the first two times I was going and using a chairlift.

The goal of building a one bike that could light FR and be your main aggresive XC AM ride, for me is exactly what I am doing, which is the Helius FR for me, mine will build up to around 32 lbs, which for me I am happy to have the extra 4lbs to take me to a strong Agressive XC AM ride that will take a beating.......
    What types of trails are you riding? A friend is totally convinced that for what we have up here the 575 is sufficient. He's right but I am not convinced that a well-build FR is overkill.

So to sum up in my words. To replace your 575 for the riding you do now, I would get a Helius CC and if you wanted to build your one bike for Light FR and Aggresive XC AM, for sure would build up a Helius FR.......................
    I don't just want to replace the 575. Especially that I don't like the Helius CC much at all. The decision is if I change the 575 I want a do-it-all bike or I get dedicated DH/FR bike on the cheap. For example a Yeti AS-X or even a VP-Free.

Thanks,
    Sylvain

"Its All Good"
    I am not doing anything special. Those were the first two times I was going and using a chairlift.

What types of trails are you riding? A friend is totally convinced that for what we have up here the 575 is sufficient. He's right but I am not convinced that a well-build FR is overkill.

I don't just want to replace the 575. Especially that I don't like the Helius CC much at all. The decision is if I change the 575 I want a do-it-all bike or I get dedicated DH/FR bike on the cheap. For example a Yeti AS-X or even a VP-Free.

Thanks,
    Sylvain
    Hi ya Sylvain

Your buddy is probly right in a way. BUT, if your riding progresses to a point where you go to a resort and shuttle for a few days, pop off of a drop off, rock garden on the 575 and land off scew lets say, the 575 will not last the distance... And am not knocking the bike at all, I am in the same situation as you with my MotoLite...

As you say, for me, the MotoLite is awesome, if I carried on as I am riding now and didnt jump off what I thought would hammer the frame, the bike would be perfect, but I want and like to jump off of those lips, rocks etc...

I am lucky that I have a dedicated FR / DH Whistler bike.. Nicolai Nucleon GBoxx

For me if you wanted a one bike that could hammer XC AM riding and the odd bit of light FR / DH, I feel the Helius FR is a go..... There is a miriad of bikes in this segment now too... As I said, I am willing to lift my bike weight 4 - 5 lbs to have a bike that can take a beating....

Yeah ha, my FR is nearly ready....

'All over it!'
    Hey Whafe, any news on your frame yet?

"Its All Good"
    Hey Whafe, any news on your frame yet?
    No recent recent word, in theory going by information from Nicolai it should be with me on Friday.....

mtbr member
    Hope it comes soon we need some more eye candy on the forum Helps ease the pain for the rest of us that are waiting as well lol

"Its All Good"
    Hope it comes soon we need some more eye candy on the forum Helps ease the pain for the rest of us that are waiting as well lol
    Me too agree. Am just waiting an update from Nicolai. Time is ticking for me, I move back to New Zealand from Spain on the 21st of December. My gear leaves on 14th December. So want stuff here to build it etc. But some how do not think everything will make it in time, so may have to have the LBS build it.....

I want to take it with me on the plane as I normally take a bike. Will leave the MotoLite in Spain to ride when am back for work purposes. Am hoping all the components arrive to Blacksheep Cycles and they can send them to me, will have to DHL them I think to speed it up..... Hard part is ont he 17th 18th 19th December am away from the office for off site meetings... Sheesh it never rains but it poors.... Rant over !!!!

mtbr member
    Hey all.. anyone riden a Helius with a Manitou Evolver ISX 6 or Swinger Coil SPV 6-Way on a Nicolai?

http://www.manitoumtb.com/depts.asp?deptid=12

Both seem to have high and low speed compression circuits

mtbr member
    Another question to sling over.. what length have people cut their steerer's to on their FR's

Might be able to get a good deal on a used fork but am unsure if it will fit as I don't have the frame yet.

Cheers all

"Its All Good"
    Karve, I have not cut mine as yet. May do it this weekend, needed time to suss it out length wise

Members who have read this thread: 0