The G1 Thread- Mtbr.com

Thread: The G1 Thread

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

The G1 Thread

Thought I'd start a thread dedicated to the G1 for folks to share info and experiances.

I've been off a "proper" bike for 15 months due to pretty complicated wrist injury.
    I wasn't sure if I'd be able to ride again at one stage so sold my G16 but recovery has gone better than expected.
    I've been wobbling around on my fat bike for the last few months as I've built strength and fitness back up but now its starting to get a bit "exciting" trying to ride 5" tyres hard on loose and dry trails!

I've got a Longer G1 frame, Formula Selva R forks, Cura 4 brakes and 185mm Bike yoke dropper on order with Geometron.

The bike is going to be built up as 160mm 29er running the new shimano 12speed drive train.

I'm building up 30mm LB carbon rims onto 28hole XT hubs using CX rays and brass nipples. I'm trying to keep weight down to a reasonable level on this wheelset as I do quite a lot of climbing and long XC sections on my typical trail rides.

This bike will be my only bike as I found that swapping between the G16 and a more conventional sized trail bike was a recipe for disaster in terms of body English and riding position etc.

I'm a bit of an odd shape in that I'm relatively light and slim at 63Kg's and 179 - 180cm's but have short skinny legs and carry all my weight in my top half so forward of the saddle. I'm really interested to see how the higher stack of the G1 compares to the G16 as I tend to prefer a higher front end due to my physiology.

I'll post updates once it all lands and I start to build it up and ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sounds good, we are almost the same shape to Iím a touch heavier.

I must get around to checking sizing but was thinking of porting from my lOngest G16 to a Longer G1. Tho a touch worried about the drastic ETT change even if smaller reach change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    In an ideal world I would have driven down to Wales to ride both the longer and Longest as I too was a little concerned about the ETT but I kept reasoning that the reach value was what counts so I've just gone with it.

There is now a beautiful frame plus an array of boxes of goodies sat in my workshop. Just waiting on the rims now. It took me a few minutes to work out where the port for the dropper cable was hidden, the frame is like a work of art!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, I told Chris Iíd go with Longer this time. Iíll run a 35mm stem and put the bars back to std roll. Which will give me the same effective bb to bar reach which is my important measurement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Can I just pipe in here? I think the G1 may be the pinnacle in the new school geo revolution not to mention the multitude of ways it can be configured makes the G1 one the most interesting bike of the year, IMHO. Only 4 comments in this thread, and not a single major magazine review of the G1 either. Are we going into recession?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just ridden my G1 xl for a week now. Started with 29/29er and built up fir curiosity, a 27.5 rear wheel to try the hybrid concept.
    First ride was really disappointing and actually ended with a crash, cause of the wet roots and rocks and me not used to the bike at all.
    Had to go from a 33 to a 40 Renthal Apex stem and go to a more narrow bar at 780mm to force myself going more forward. Also rides with the Ergon flanged grips tilted so much forward that I cannot stay other then over the front wheel.

So after a few rides now, it starts to get more and more natural feeling. I need to remind me all the time about going more forward, but the bike is getting better and better.

The hybrid set up, was better than I thought too. The 27.5 wheel that I was afraid should hook up is not a concern, and it makes the bike turn more easy to handle in turns.

I have built up the bike with 200mm OneUp seatpost, 1x11 Sram XX1 with Race Face Next R and 28t chain ring. It climbs really well, but of course it is not a sprinter. Btw the 27.5 with same rubber as the 29er, Maxxis DHF is way more grippy, and brakes much better.

Uses a Fox 36 Kashima set at 174mm travel, with smash pot coil on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigglet13 View Post
    Thought I'd start a thread dedicated to the G1 for folks to share info and experiances.

I've been off a "proper" bike for 15 months due to pretty complicated wrist injury.
    I wasn't sure if I'd be able to ride again at one stage so sold my G16 but recovery has gone better than expected.
    I've been wobbling around on my fat bike for the last few months as I've built strength and fitness back up but now its starting to get a bit "exciting" trying to ride 5" tyres hard on loose and dry trails!

I've got a Longer G1 frame, Formula Selva R forks, Cura 4 brakes and 185mm Bike yoke dropper on order with Geometron.

The bike is going to be built up as 160mm 29er running the new shimano 12speed drive train.

I'm building up 30mm LB carbon rims onto 28hole XT hubs using CX rays and brass nipples. I'm trying to keep weight down to a reasonable level on this wheelset as I do quite a lot of climbing and long XC sections on my typical trail rides.

This bike will be my only bike as I found that swapping between the G16 and a more conventional sized trail bike was a recipe for disaster in terms of body English and riding position etc.

I'm a bit of an odd shape in that I'm relatively light and slim at 63Kg's and 179 - 180cm's but have short skinny legs and carry all my weight in my top half so forward of the saddle. I'm really interested to see how the higher stack of the G1 compares to the G16 as I tend to prefer a higher front end due to my physiology.

I'll post updates once it all lands and I start to build it up and ride it.

mtbr member
    I'm trying hard not to order. I've got a G16 (and G13 ) in the shed, and even though the G16 is second hand and has a good few years on it, it's still basically as new. Hard to justify changing when the bikes are so durable and high quality.

That said - the heart wants, etc. I sort of have the money squirrelled away for a frame and fork.