CCDB/DHX 5 On 08 Helius FR- Mtbr.com
    'All over it!'

CCDB/DHX 5 On 08 Helius FR

Ok, so I have chosen the frame, going to be ordered next week. I am still dubious about the rear shock. On my previous thread I mentioned my rider weight of 230lb. I am aiming to run between 20-25% sag on the CCDB. Now what coil would I need to achieve this?

I have read on the Cane Creek website that all their shocks are specifically tuned to the rider. Do to my weight, I need to know that this is going to be the shock for me before I lay out a considerable amount of money. The other option open is the fox DHX 5 with Ti spring. I am also going to run a RS Lyrik Coil U-Turn on the front if that makes a difference.

I will admit, all the techno shock speak confuses me. I just need to know what shock, spring to achieve the required sag, then I can buy it. Many of you on this forum have helped me out big time over my choice of bike, now I need some advice on the shock.
    Any help or advice would be much appriciated.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    sorry I can help specifically, but look for a spring calculator online to get in the ball park on the spring.....

congrats on the Helius

a tight kick sound
    Call Malcom at CC and your questions will be answered!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Give Malcom a call at Cane Creek. Or, if you would prefer, give me a call and I'll help ya out. The CCDB's are setup quite different from all other shocks on the market and as such the spring rate that works correctly on a Fox/Marz is not typically correct for a CCDB.

aka...appBLING72
    He's right. Typically you can run 50#'s lighter spring than other shocks, and also set the sag higher on the CCDB. IMO it performs better with about 35-40% sag. But, to each his own. It all depends on bike leverage ratio, rider weight, etc... Like everyone else said, Malcolm is the man. Tell him Ashley told ou to call. He'll give you the special treatment.

a tight kick sound
    hahahaha, applebling
    Wondered how long it would take you to come round these parts! We just gotta git u on one of these fine frames now.
    Good to see ya..hope all is well bro.

JB

aka...appBLING72
    Funny, I lurk under the radar. HAHA! No, I got a 08 SX trail in paint right now that should be pretty sweet. I'll post some pics when it gets done.

a tight kick sound
    Nice man, love to see it!

'All over it!'
    After a bit of thinking and consultation with CF, would an RP23 fit on the 08 helius? Does anybody know of anybody who has done this? Can it be done? If so, what size shock would I need? Many thanks

well the nicolai site only says that it's a 200mm shock (7.875"), and there are 2 RP23s in those sizes, 2" and 2.25" stroke, one of them has to be the right size, since they are the same stroke lengths as the DHX in 7.875" eye to eye....

'All over it!'
    Thanks Cris, thats good info. Just need to find out if it's 2" or 2.25" stroke. I am happy now as I have now got the frame so I can order the shock.

Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    Thanks Cris, thats good info. Just need to find out if it's 2" or 2.25" stroke. I am happy now as I have now got the frame so I can order the shock.
    No prob! I'm sure one of the Nico owners will show up soon and post... for sure Crazy Fred knows (I think he has/had an RP23 on his)

so you actually have the frame already? pics????

'All over it!'
    I have, although due to colour it's going to take up to eight weeks for delivery. However, the answer to my questions has just been solved by Mojo here in UK.

The 08 Helius FR can take coil shocks with a stroke of 57mm (2.25") and air shocks with a stroke of 50mm (2.00").

Mojo here in UK, will provide me with an RP23 with a stroke of 57mm (2.25") and fit it into the mounts for the coil shock. This will give me the full 167mm of travel with the RP23. I am also going to have the shock tuned to give me more rebound for the pressure I need to run due to my weight. So all in all, I am now a very happy and looking forward to recieving the frame.

I hope this helps others who may be thinking of putting an air shock on the 08 Helius FR

mtbr member
    May 2006

Hey LB,

Did you say you now already have your new 08 FR?WOW what color? I'm telling you the more I look at the new 08 the more I think I must have one of these.The changes they made are going to put an already unreal bike way over the top.MUST HAVE NEW FR...CF.

I have, although due to colour it's going to take up to eight weeks for delivery. However, the answer to my questions has just been solved by Mojo here in UK.

The 08 Helius FR can take coil shocks with a stroke of 57mm (2.25") and air shocks with a stroke of 50mm (2.00").

Mojo here in UK, will provide me with an RP23 with a stroke of 57mm (2.25") and fit it into the mounts for the coil shock. This will give me the full 167mm of travel with the RP23. I am also going to have the shock tuned to give me more rebound for the pressure I need to run due to my weight. So all in all, I am now a very happy and looking forward to recieving the frame.

I hope this helps others who may be thinking of putting an air shock on the 08 Helius FR
    Swweeeeettt!!! Can't wait to see the pic in a couple of weeks then

I also just got a bigger bike (first coil rear for me), check it out http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=346529

Oct 2005
    Lornibear,

Here is what CRAZY FRED says about the CCDB on the Helius:

The Nicolai doesn't need the bandaid CCDB

'All over it!'
    Hey CF, no I don't have it in my possession yet. It's ordered and will take upto eight weeks. I have gone for the Jungle Cammo with the black rear triangle. I am going to take your advice and go with the RP23, now I know I can get one to fit without loosing any of that precious 167mm of travel.

Hey Cris, nice Ventana. Us big boys will always grow out of the 575. It's a pity as it's such a nice ride. Like you, as the skill and the nerve increases, the 575 is just not really upto the job. Enjoy bro it looks a cracker.

Hey Cris, nice Ventana. Us big boys will always grow out of the 575. It's a pity as it's such a nice ride. Like you, as the skill and the nerve increases, the 575 is just not really upto the job. Enjoy bro it looks a cracker.
    Thanks LB! The 575 will stick around, but it will be the "XC bike" now... I will probably lighten it up a bit....

anyhow.. will keep an eye out for your new ride

Cheers

"Its All Good"
    I have my 08 FR ordered too, I am going with the CCDB with a Ti Spring.....

It is indeed different to set up in some ways, but in another way it is great that it is totally adjustable in all areas....

Roll on the wait time, well at least it will not be as long as last time....

8 weeks for yours lorni? mmmm Mine is going to be a little longer. 12 weeks I think
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    I have my 08 FR ordered too, I am going with the CCDB with a Ti Spring.....

It is indeed different to set up in some ways, but in another way it is great that it is totally adjustable in all areas....

Roll on the wait time, well at least it will not be as long as last time....

8 weeks for yours lorni? mmmm Mine is going to be a little longer. 12 weeks I think
    cool Whafe!

Will you keep the color secret until delivery, like with the G-Box???

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    cool Whafe!

Will you keep the color secret until delivery, like with the G-Box???
    Yep the colour will be Urban Dizzy Camo................
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

nice!

"El Whatever"
    So, now it's official...

The Biggest bike ho' got a new toy!!
    Wonder what TiEndo will do to keep up...

That Helius FR will be the dog's bollox... Can't wait to see it... Hopefully in person if you manage to drag yer arse down to Mexico City.

We can show you some trails to test the Helius.
    Check my Site

a tight kick sound
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Did you say you now already have your new 08 FR?WOW what color? I'm telling you the more I look at the new 08 the more I think I must have one of these.The changes they made are going to put an already unreal bike way over the top.MUST HAVE NEW FR...CF.
    Do it CF, then you can pass the savings down to me Get me back on 2 nicolais What size is yours btw? L?

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Do it CF, then you can pass the savings down to me Get me back on 2 nicolais What size is yours btw? L?
    Booner, CF's is a medium........... Go get it bro....

I rode a kind friend of CF's Large Custom FR today, was a great bike, loved it, climbed great, am an excited happy camper............. Had an RP23 shock, was very good, but I am looking for a different feel.... An air shock up my sleeve could be the go also...

Get a Marz Roco WC air shock and have the CCDB.....

'All over it!'

Hey Whafe.....

How long did you ride the FR for? Was it the 08 model? Any further thoughts on your choice, frame size etc? Are you still opting for the CCDB or are you now thinking of an air shock. Let us know what you think bro

Members who have read this thread: 0