Argon TB 29 - Anyone have one?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Argon TB 29 - Anyone have one?

Just considering one of these but a look at the spec sheet makes me feel that the chainstays are too long, the bottom bracket too high and the front end possibly not high enough. Coming from a Canfield Yelli Screamy i'm looking for a fun hardtail which is easy to manual and generally mess around on. Always wanted a Nicolai but not sure the Argon is going to work for me and its an expensive gamble to take!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I do, cant say I feel any that you describe but it depends what 'fun' is to you. There is no golden bullet with geometry..

54mm BB drop is a good all round figure...too low and you deal with pedal strike and a bike that is actually harder to flick side to side and harder to brake quickly but with more stability in corners and in a straight line..

435mm chainstay, adjustable..short chain stays can make manualling easier but long chainstayed DH riders don't seem to have a problem..very short chainstays can change the weight bias creating less grips in corners and a poorer climbing bike requiring more 'technique' to climb technical stuff.
    The height of the front end is your choice...stem, bar rise, spacers, fork length.

BUT the Nicolai is a really stiff, flexible all rounder not targeted at just fun, sounds like not quite the right bike for you...unless of course you go custom...in which case...choose your design...copy the Yelli geo if you like, but you may have to offset the seat tube forward to get the tyre clearance or make the seat tube steeper. Marcel could help there, they wont bend the seat tube....
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great, thanks, appreciate the reply. I've got a Jones spaceframe (as I think you have *stalker mode*) and that is my do it all bike so this is just going to be something to play around on short singletrack trails close to me where we ride up the fire roads, have a chat at the top and then blat down as quickly as possible with a few small jumps here and there. As you suggest, it unfortunately sounds like the Nicolai isn't for me as custom on a hardtail starts jacking the price up higher than I would like and I really want that 'fun' aspect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

I do have a Spaceframe..😃
    now then..don't misunderstand me, for what you just described the Argon is great...it is a ripper, very stable, very stiff, accurate, run big forks, jumps great, bike park Wales is a hoot on it, corners really well.
    when people say 'fun' to me and short chain stays I immediately imagine manuals everywhere at every opportunity down a trail whipping the back etc...which wasn't the raisin d'Ítre of the Argon. But run a 140/150 Pike and 2.4s and it's definitely a gas if you like fast but it can still climb and do normal stuff well. Less one sided than a screamy.

Having said all that. A Spaceframe with a Lou 4.8 upfront is a total blast unless it's really gnarr😃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yep, but it's Bud for me. Brilliant until you hit a really bumpy/brake bumped section and then its like riding an angry spacehopper! I do love that bike though. Just want the hardtail for a bit of cushion up front to give variation at weekends, trips to bike park wales etc. Ahh, the never ending indecision over which frame is best to ultimately result in the realisation that they're all good these days!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Meant Bud! Got a Nate in mine at the moment. Thinking of a 29+ front/650b+ rear for big rides but I love fat front. Just think the extra resistance isn't worth it on a bike packing trip with more weight..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've just bought a dually laced to the new hope fatsno front disc spacing hub as it happens. Nowhere near as good for rattling down rougher trails but excellent for more relaxed jaunts and still classic Jones fun on smoother singletrack. You really notice the difference in weight and rolling resistance.

If you happen to be anywhere near the surrey hills you're welcome to try my 29+ front wheel if you want?

Anyway, this thread will get booted out of the Nicolai forum soon!