Any Nicolai owners out there ?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2006

Any Nicolai owners out there ?

Notice there's not a specific owners group forum so wondered if i'm alone here ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/overthe...7594392565185/

This is my latest baby, 2007 Helius CC. I aleady have a Helius FR but at 34lbs it's just a bit too heavy for the ups here in Austria. The CC is around 27lb and is the best bike i've ever ridden.

Anyone else got one ?

Ziegi

a tight kick sound
    Ooohh hell ya Nicolai!
    Welcome Zeigi,
    Greets from Oregon
    I think we will need to try to get a Nicolai specific Manft. forums started here pretty soon

Absolutely love these frames. Wonderful German quality all the way My last rig was a Nicolai Helius FR. I have a couple of short blurbs up here at mtbr about it. Very fun bike.
    Agree though it could get pretty heavy for those long...all day rides.

In an atempt to space out my fleet a little I sold my FR and moved up from the fr to the Nicolai UFO ST.
    Very cool bike and will have more about it when I am all finished with it. WOuld like to see if I could get a helius CC in the future for the other end of the spectrum..have some interesting ideas about how to build it up.

Pics of both below.

As for places in the US to get info on Nicolai frames:
    1) Matt Medore is the US rep for Nicolai and is usually very good about responding to questions and requests. (I needed some new parts for my FR, instead of ordering them from Germany he machined me some new ones himself!) Here is his contact info
    -Nicolai USA, [email protected]
    -Universal Transmissions
    Phone: (951) 990-5600
    Fax: (951) 927-8415

2) www.blacksheepcycles.com/ These guys are now dealers for Nicolai in the US and are AWESOME people to deal with. Ask for Toni if you contact them (He also goes by Err on mtbr) he will hook you up good! I cannot say enough about these guys, unbelievable top notch,service. I have no questions that if something were to go wrong they would take care of me together with Nicolai.

3) I think there is one more shop that has just picked up a Nicolai account this year as well. Think it is diesal bikes? Crazy Fred may come in soon and help me out

Anyway here are some pics of my Nicolai's past and present.
    1) Nicolai Helius FR, dhx air, pike..blahblhabaablalabah
    2) Team colored UFO ST frame
    3) My new black ano UFO ST with dhx air and totem 2 step on it at the shop.
    4) Geo chart image for ufo st
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boone; 12-15-2006 at 09:19 PM.

Dec 2006
    A friend has got the helius set up with the Rohloff internal gear hub. Talk about planted!!

a tight kick sound
    Well let's see it mang!

Booner

Jan 2007

Owner in San Diego - Nicolai TFR G-Boxx

Nicolai is one of the very elite manufacturers out there. Their quality is second to none and the bikes ROCK.

The TFR G-Boxx is just awesome. I most ride all mountain but starting to ride a little more FR. It is the perfect bike for it! No derailleurs, nothing in the way to hang you, slow you down or kill a perfectly good ride.

I am also looking at picking up a Helius CC or FR. I need something that is a little more XC because the long sustained/technical climbs to hurt a little more on the TFR.

Aug 2006
    Hey those of you thinking of the 2007 Helius CC, stop thinking and just do it ! If you wanna ride AM or aggressive XC the CC is plenty of bike. In my experience the FR THE bike for when your wheels need to leave the ground but for gnarly, rocky trails just buy the 07 CC. I'm having so much fun on mine.

As an addition i'm about to buy an Argon FR as a hire bike but i'm looking forward to riding it myself too. I guess we're pretty unique offering Nicolai as hire bikes huh, wouldn't surprise me if no one else is doing it. Quality trails deserve quality bikes.

Let's ride !

ziegi :-)

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by ziegi
    Hey those of you thinking of the 2007 Helius CC, stop thinking and just do it ! If you wanna ride AM or aggressive XC the CC is plenty of bike. In my experience the FR THE bike for when your wheels need to leave the ground but for gnarly, rocky trails just buy the 07 CC. I'm having so much fun on mine.

As an addition i'm about to buy an Argon FR as a hire bike but i'm looking forward to riding it myself too. I guess we're pretty unique offering Nicolai as hire bikes huh, wouldn't surprise me if no one else is doing it. Quality trails deserve quality bikes.

Let's ride !

Hey,

WOW those frames look amazing.... i want one!

I think I'm in love with the Helius CC... is there pricing on the website?

Paul.

Aug 2006
    Hey Paul,

I see you're from down under. This is the email address for the Oz/NZ Nicolai distributor i just got from the nicolai site. I do know from the guys at Nicolai UK who we're partners with that demand is outweighing supply and the wait is usually around 3 months. If you get a CC you want an 07 not 06, it's a different animal.

Who do we talk to to get our own Nicolai manufacturer forum on here ? Seems there's enough of us chatting right ?

ziegi

[email protected]

Aug 2006
    Hey folks i just posted in the Site Feedback to see if we could maybe have a Nicolai manufacturer forum. Any back up on the thread would be useful.

ziegi ;-)

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Hey Paul,

I see you're from down under. This is the email address for the Oz/NZ Nicolai distributor i just got from the nicolai site. I do know from the guys at Nicolai UK who we're partners with that demand is outweighing supply and the wait is usually around 3 months. If you get a CC you want an 07 not 06, it's a different animal.

Who do we talk to to get our own Nicolai manufacturer forum on here ? Seems there's enough of us chatting right ?

ziegi

[email protected]
    Thanks heaps! yes I'm downunder but originally from the UK I'm heading to Europe in Setember this year and i'd love to ride some of the trails i see on your site. I've bookmarked it *cheers*

I'll be sure to email admin to setup a forum for Nicolai too.

Aug 2006
    Hey ilostmypassword,

I already posted a thread under site feedback about a Nicolai forum, be great if you added your voice to it

As for September, it'd be so great to show you our trails here in Austria. When are you over exactly ?

ziegi

Jan 2007
    Just got my Helius FR today. Still need to find out more

a tight kick sound
    Sweet bro! Nice going.
    What more do you need to find out? Show us some pics and get to ridin that thing!

ohh and here is a pic of my new Nicolai mmmmmmmm

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Nice looking ride Boone, and thanks for the US contact info. I had started to brush up on my German in an attempt to order a new derailleur hanger. Looks like there are a couple Nicolai's out there, maybe enough for a forum. Anyway here are my twins.

a tight kick sound
    WOWZZERS
    Those look great! Is that a Argon FR hardtail? Nice work

Yeah give Matt an email. I just talked to him yesterday and he got back to me within 10min!

Let's keep the Nicolais coming eh?

Anyone else? I know there are more out there....

mtbr member
    May 2006

Finally a [email protected] Nicolai forum thank you lord.

Sign me up.It makes no sense at all how the hands down most sweetest custom bikes to be had on this planet doesn't have a forum so we can rant and rave about our dream rides.To the new guy there with the CC NICE [email protected] BIKE brother.I just built up my CC a few months back and in all the years I've been riding and all the super high end custom sh!t I've owned,nothing I mean nothing has ever come close to my Nicolai CC. And if that's not great enough my brand new FR is on its way,do here Feb 9th.How am I living. Top shelf baby.I'd go to war with anyone over these bikes.Anyone who demands the best in top shelf high end state of the art custom craftmanship,and a to die for stiff ride LOOK NO FUTHER My best freind John is a Nicolai dealer RIGHT HERE IN THE GREAT US OF A.For any and all infomation(pricing,availability,ect,ect)contact him at J [email protected] or at [email protected] Trust me I think I am the luckest dude alive cause I have a CC and FR coming these bikes just rock.I don't care who reads this or how they take this,BUT I ride and do sh!t on my CC( which is a XC bike)that most dude's can't and won't do on a Freeride or DH bike.FACT.Lets go Nicolai forum.peace.CF..

a tight kick sound
    hell yeah!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006

ziegi come back bro.

Let's ride !

ziegi,man you sure said it all the CC is for sure alot of bike I mean alot of bike.If you ever saw the seat stays on this so called XC bike you would just loose your mind.And the FR? forget it.Just one insane ride.I have been thinking about building up a rigid ArgonCC. Anyway good to see another happy Nicolai owner.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    WOWZZERS
    Is that a Argon FR hardtail?
    The hardtail is a BMXTB Race and its killing me that I might have to let the frame go, just a wie bit short. But these are great bikes and ya can't beat the warranty - 5yr air to ground oh and the craftsmanship is ok too

ich bin der Geilste
    sorry, mistake

ich bin der Geilste
    got one

a tight kick sound
    BAMMM!!!!!
    Wow.
    That thing just hollas bad-ass
    Beautiful looking rig. Can ya give us a parts list and weight on that baby?

Damn I do love the UFO...

mtbr member
    May 2006

Looks good in white.

BAMMM!!!!!
    Wow.

Sometimes wish I had got different color frames than I did.It was just the wait I wanted nothing to do with.Oh well life's a b!tch I've got two brand new ano black Nicolai's. I'll surive.CF.......

ich bin der Geilste
    BAMMM!!!!!
    Wow.

THX

The Partlist:

NICOLAI Frame Size L
    FOX DHX AIR 5.0 Shock
    MZ 66 RC2X Fork
    Chris King Headset, Nicolai 1.5 to 11/8 reducer.
    HOPE Head Doctor
    Hope Moto V2, Vented Disk
    Race Face Diablous Krankset
    Ringle Hubs, Sun Ringle Rims, DT Spokes, DT ProLoc.
    Schwalbe Big Betty Tires, Schwalbe Tubes.
    Thomson Elite Seatpost
    Thomson Elite 4X Stem
    Selle Italia Flite Seat
    Race Face Diablous Bar 31,8
    SRAM XO Trigger
    SRAM XO Derailleur
    SRAM PC 991 Power Link Chain
    SRAM PG990 Cassette
    Fireeye Fire8 Pedal

19 Kilo / 41.8 pounds
    Last edited by JOHN-DOE; 02-24-2007 at 01:16 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006

How's it pedal?

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN-DOE
    THX

The Partlist:

NICOLAI Frame Size L
    FOX DHX AIR 5.0 Shock
    MZ 66 RC2X Fork
    Chris King Headset
    HOPE Head Doctor
    Hope Moto V2, Vented Disk
    Race Face Diablous Krankset
    Ringle Hubs, Sun Ringle Rims, DT Spokes, DT ProLoc.
    Schwalbe Big Betty Tires, Schwalbe Tubes.
    Thomson Elite Seatpost
    Thomson Elite 4X Stem
    Selle Italia Flite Seat
    Answer ProTaperOS Bar / Race Face Diablous Bar, i dont know yet
    SRAM XO Shifter / SRAM XO Trigger, i dont know yet
    SRAM XO Derailleur
    SRAM PC 991 Power Link Chain
    SRAM PG990 Cassette
    Fireeye Fire8 Pedal

19 Kilo / 41.8 pounds
    Looks great bro, I love the white.At 41pounds how does it pedal?. CF...

ich bin der Geilste
    THX

downhill, no problem

Aug 2006
    Hi Guys,

I just got back to Austria from a week in the UK where i picked up 2 new Nicolais ! Another fantastic 07 Helius CC, this time for my business partner to ride, and a pretty amazin Argon FR which i test rode on the Welsh man made centres this week. Wow can that baby move ! Built up to around 28lbs and it flew, up, down, singletrack, my face hurt from grinning so much. Pictures later.

It's so great to see more Nics on here. So let's see some pics of where you guys ride yours.

Later

Ziegi

Aug 2006

New Nicolai pics !

Ok here goes :

First up Nic Helius CC 07 hiding behind the new Argon FR

The Argon FR

unmistakably Nicolai

I just love these bikes

ziegi

Aug 2006
    Hey guys,

I just started a Nicolai owners group over on Flickr.

Check this out and let's share more photos and stories

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nicolai...7594515852843/

Maybe see you over there

ziegi

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have -06 Helius FR
    Here photo:http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1166221/
    There are more pics in my Pinkbike album.
    Magura fork and Manitou 4-way have been changed yesterday to Fox 36 Van and DHX5,0 Coil aswell wheelset/tires to DT Swiss FR440,Mavic XM 819,Sapim CX-Ray and Schwalbe Fat Albert 2,35 UST tires.
    Ride hard!

a tight kick sound
    Hehehehe
    I feel like a child at christmas time looking at these pics
    Very nice frames zeigi! Well done.
    I really like that Argon FR, I may have to think about it s my next rig...although I was hoping that I might be able to convince Nicolai to make me a 29er
    A guy can dream right!

Hey Crazy Fred, that UFO st pedals really well actually. I have a local trail that I used to do on my helius FR. I could make it pretty good on the FR so I thought I would give it a go on the UFO. After being off a bike for 3 months I jumped on the UFO and made the climb
    no problem. It actually felt easier cause I just sat down and spun the cranks and the bike just motored up everything. Even though the frame is a little short I am having no problems getting it up all the climbs we have here is Oregon...and there are some nasty ones!

You should check it out...betch you will have to have one!

B

a tight kick sound
    Holy Chit Ziegi!!!
    I am gonna give serious thought to coming to your Nicolai meet and greet in Italy in October!!! What a nice opportunity to meet new folks in a totaly new area. HAve been to Italy before and it was the nicest experience I ever had! Suppose you will have any folks from the US coming over for it?
    Damn...I was thinking NZ but this has me thinking of changing my mind????
    ooooooo

Could you PM me with more details and such?

Thanks

Booner

mtbr member
    May 2006

Much better than the smart a$$ reply.....

Hehehehe
    I feel like a child at christmas time looking at these pics
    Very nice frames zeigi! Well done.
    I really like that Argon FR, I may have to think about it s my next rig...although I was hoping that I might be able to convince Nicolai to make me a 29er
    A guy can dream right!

Hey Crazy Fred, that UFO st pedals really well actually. I have a local trail that I used to do on my helius FR. I could make it pretty good on the FR so I thought I would give it a go on the UFO. After being off a bike for 3 months I jumped on the UFO and made the climb
    no problem. It actually felt easier cause I just sat down and spun the cranks and the bike just motored up everything. Even though the frame is a little short I am having no problems getting it up all the climbs we have here is Oregon...and there are some nasty ones!

You should check it out...betch you will have to have one!

B
    I'm glad you understood the question,To me there is way more to this sport than just going down hill. In fact to me its at the bottom of the list.So thanks for the reply.BTW I'm really getting a stiff one over building up a rigid Aron CC(no I don't mean a hard tail I mean rigid) A nice 20 pound rigid rocket ship made only by none other than you know who. NICOLAI........Peace CF........FR count down 6 days tick tick tick tick.that's how it feels.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Hey ziegi..............

Hi Guys,

I just got back to Austria from a week in the UK where i picked up 2 new Nicolais ! Another fantastic 07 Helius CC, this time for my business partner to ride, and a pretty amazin Argon FR which i test rode on the Welsh man made centres this week. Wow can that baby move ! Built up to around 28lbs and it flew, up, down, singletrack, my face hurt from grinning so much. Pictures later.

It's so great to see more Nics on here. So let's see some pics of where you guys ride yours.

Later

Ziegi
    Do you know anybody that has Argon CC??What's up with this Nicoali party ride in Italy,do you got a couch I can live on,because If I go to Italy I'll neve rmake it back home.

a tight kick sound
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Do you know anybody that has Argon CC??What's up with this Nicoali party ride in Italy,do you got a couch I can live on,because If I go to Italy I'll neve rmake it back home.

Seriously though
    That would be killer if we could get some people from the US to go over to this ride, take some pics and video. Maybe even a little ride report?

Then take some pics and movie and report on some new Nicolai 08 kit!!!
    Italy is such an amazing place. Anyone that can get there should absolutely go to this!
    Looks like such a fun time!

B

a tight kick sound
    Hey y'all
    Someone should seriously look into picking up this Helius FR frame over on ridemonkey!
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/classified...ct=4396&cat=24
    It used to be mine and I sold it for the ufo st.
    This bike should be in pretty damn good condition! Would make a great do anything bike
    for most folks

Just thought I would share the love! Oooh and this frame has several years left on the warranty!

Booner

thats right living legend
    Hey y'all
    Someone should seriously look into picking up this Helius FR frame over on ridemonkey!
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/classified...ct=4396&cat=24
    It used to be mine and I sold it for the ufo st.
    This bike should be in pretty damn good condition! Would make a great do anything bike
    for most folks

Just thought I would share the love! Oooh and this frame has several years left on the warranty!

Booner

Isn't he asking about $500 more than he bought it from you for?

a tight kick sound
    Well,
    I am not trying to sell it for him...Just so that is out of the way.
    Thought I would spread the word on a cool frame that is all
    What he wants to charge for the bike is his business. I sold it for a song cause I wanted the money for the new nicolai. It was sold for a LOT less than it was worth.

Not trying to be for or against anything here. Just giving facts.

If he makes some cash on the deal then it is my own stupidity to blame! If I wanted to wait I may have been able to sell it for more, however I really wanted to pick up the new one at the time as it was a good deal also!

Still a great bike and there is also the ability to negotiate!

thats right living legend
    Well,
    I am not trying to sell it for him...Just so that is out of the way.
    Thought I would spread the word on a cool frame that is all
    What he wants to charge for the bike is his business. I sold it for a song cause I wanted the money for the new nicolai. It was sold for a LOT less than it was worth.

Not trying to be for or against anything here. Just giving facts.

If he makes some cash on the deal then it is my own stupidity to blame! If I wanted to wait I may have been able to sell it for more, however I really wanted to pick up the new one at the time as it was a good deal also!

Still a great bike and there is also the ability to negotiate!

Yeah I know. I just wanted to make sure... and be cute with my little emoter? I just wish he would be a little less ambitious so I could have a better crack at it. I personely think your price was very resonable considering most won't pay over a grand for a used frame, esp one "I'm sure" many haven't quit heard of yet. But wiith the transferable warrenty and "coolness" of the frame I'm sure he'll come out all right with it.

Thanks for the heads up BTW... Mighty good of you.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Boone....

So is that frame a 05?Its really nice(not diggen the shock).Also your saying that was your frame?when did you buy it? And from who?Thanks.CF.

Aug 2006
    I personely think your price was very resonable considering most won't pay over a grand for a used frame, esp one "I'm sure" many haven't quit heard of yet. But wiith the transferable warrenty and "coolness" of the frame I'm sure he'll come out all right with it.
    It's not such a bad thing that we're still a little 'out there' i think. And yeah that's not a bad price at all in my opinion. I like the way he's taken so many shots of it too so the buyer knows exactly what they're gettin, good stuff.

Hey did you guys know that at Eurobike last September Nicolai won the award for most innovative bike manufacturer ? Cool huh ?

Boone & Crazy Fred are you guys seriously interested in our Nicolai owners week ? I'm talking with Nicolai germany tomorrow to get official backing. The current trip is aimed at UK riders and Nicolai UK want to keep it UK only. Me, i think a global meet would be sooooo cool. I'm suggesting to Nicolai that we run it the week before the UK one which would be 6-13th Oct, same cool place in Italy though. I'm lovin this idea.

ziegi

a tight kick sound
    Hey CF,
    That frame is an 05. Was made towards the end of 04 with all 05 specs and Nic calls it an 05. This was my frame, I bought it from a guy in Salem OR whom I have ridden with before.
    Good guy. He bought it from the original owner or maybe one guy after the original. As such it has not seen a ton of hard use. Each person that has gotten it likes it a ton and always does not want to sell it. This bike seems to be sooo much fun to ride and so confidence inspiring that it makes you progress really fast..to the point of wanting to move up in ability pretty fast I.E. moving up to a slightly larger rig!
    The frame is still in very good condition.

a tight kick sound
    It's not such a bad thing that we're still a little 'out there' i think. And yeah that's not a bad price at all in my opinion. I like the way he's taken so many shots of it too so the buyer knows exactly what they're gettin, good stuff.

Hey did you guys know that at Eurobike last September Nicolai won the award for most innovative bike manufacturer ? Cool huh ?

Boone & Crazy Fred are you guys seriously interested in our Nicolai owners week ? I'm talking with Nicolai germany tomorrow to get official backing. The current trip is aimed at UK riders and Nicolai UK want to keep it UK only. Me, i think a global meet would be sooooo cool. I'm suggesting to Nicolai that we run it the week before the UK one which would be 6-13th Oct, same cool place in Italy though. I'm lovin this idea.

ziegi
    Most innovative manufacturer huh? NICE!!!

I am very interested in this Nicolai week, however if the UK folks want this one to be UK only then maybe we should not fight them this year and push for an international one next year. It seems silly (although good for you ) to have two different meets as each one will not have all the people and "we" would not get to meet everyone!

I personally think if we could do one that had Nicolai backing with Folks from Nicolai UK, some USA Nicolai reps and a few actual Nicolai folk with visitors from all over...now that would be killer! Sounds like something that might take a bit more planning than we are actually able to accomplish by Oct.

However...I may be wrong

Either way, at some point, I want to get over there for some riding and to see what is up with the Nicolai company and all that good jazz! Whether it happens to be at a meet like this or I travel and catch a ride with you...I would be happy

Aug 2006
    Hi guys,

I was told the other day by a UK dealer that the spec is different for you guys in the US. Anyone know how it differs and why ?

ziegi

a tight kick sound
    What spec specifically are you talking about here ziegi?

Aug 2006
    Hi Boone,

Sorry, i'm talkin about the frame. I was talking to a UK dealer to see if his selling boundaries meant he could sell only in UK or globally. He said Europe is fine but he has to be careful to comply with the US spec. He didn't know how it was different just that it was.

ziegi

Aug 2006
    Hey guys,

Just thought i'd let you all know that our official Nicolai week is now open to our friends from The good old US of A. Anyone interested let me know, places are fillin up. Should be a great meet and hopefullyt the first chance to see 2008 kit in the flesh.

Whoo hoo

Ziegi

biking is fun
    hey how is the ufo 4x?. anyone know if a dhx 5.0 air 7.825 X 2.25 would fit on it? how much travel would it give it. also what size frame for someone who is 6 foot

a tight kick sound
    yo yo!
    I am 6ft and would run a fame like this in medium size!
    You should def get one!!! Please get it so I do not

mmmmmm, 3.5-~5" of travel with a nice pike!!! Aaagggggghhhhhhhh
    mmmmmmmmmm

booner

"Its All Good"
    Hey guys,Just thought i'd let you all know that our official Nicolai week is now open to our friends from The good old US of A. Anyone interested let me know, places are fillin up. Should be a great meet and hopefullyt the first chance to see 2008 kit in the flesh.
    Whoo hoo Ziegi
    Ziegi, is that Nicolai Ride in Italy open to a New Zealander living in Spain ???? LOL

I should have my Nucleon TFR by then, fingers corssed......

Boone, would you be keen to come over to Italy, be awesome to hook up. This thread has made me a happy camper, great to see some pics.... Am hoping to have my frame in a week, Hopefully Matt will release it form Germany, then Nicolai can whip it across to me in Spain

Yeah Ha....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

a tight kick sound
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Ziegi, is that Nicolai Ride in Italy open to a New Zealander living in Spain ???? LOL

I should have my Nucleon TFR by then, fingers corssed......

Boone, would you be keen to come over to Italy, be awesome to hook up. This thread has made me a happy camper, great to see some pics.... Am hoping to have my frame in a week, Hopefully Matt will release it form Germany, then Nicolai can whip it across to me in Spain

Yeah Ha....
    Hey Whafe,
    Great to hear things are moving along. Hope I didn't step out of line too much over in the other thread. I was getting real pissed that nothing was happening for you.
    Anyway....
    I am talking to the GF right now! We are def gonna be taking a trip around that time as we are both finishing Ph.D.s... hopefully. We are trying to take a big fun trip to relax before we move into real jobs
    We are both very Keen on New Zealand as neither of us has ever been there and we are both very active outdoor folks. Good riding and maybe some kayaking or something?

Anyway, I would love to come over and check out that Nicolai ride in Germany. Last time I was in Italy it was absolutely amazing. Have been wanting to go back again ever since then. What a trip this would be huh? Italy, and bike and maybe even some 08 kit???? HOOOOOOOWOWOWO!!! That sounds like a dream trip to me

Hope things are going better now Whafe!
    Peace

Booner

"Its All Good"
    Things are moving, well kinda, see my pm to ya.

Shesh, thats a tough one, if I had the choice between Italy & New Zealand, would say go to NZ, loads of MTB & Kayaking, absolutely loads... Hang maybe I am slightly biased...LOL

Italy is a hop skip and a jump for me now, but Italy is a stunning place, food to die for, and to meet a whole lotta Nicolai folks would be great...

Was awesome last year organising the Titus ride and meeting loads of MTBR people, real laugh...

And no, dont think you stepped out of line either, hang I am like a race car in the red also... Hopefully wil know something this week, mind you, been saying that for the last 3 months....

Hey Whafe,
    Great to hear things are moving along. Hope I didn't step out of line too much over in the other thread. I was getting real pissed that nothing was happening for you.
    Anyway....
    I am talking to the GF right now! We are def gonna be taking a trip around that time as we are both finishing Ph.D.s... hopefully. We are trying to take a big fun trip to relax before we move into real jobs
    We are both very Keen on New Zealand as neither of us has ever been there and we are both very active outdoor folks. Good riding and maybe some kayaking or something?

Anyway, I would love to come over and check out that Nicolai ride in Germany. Last time I was in Italy it was absolutely amazing. Have been wanting to go back again ever since then. What a trip this would be huh? Italy, and bike and maybe even some 08 kit???? HOOOOOOOWOWOWO!!! That sounds like a dream trip to me

Hope things are going better now Whafe!
    Peace

Booner
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've had mine for a year now, and refined it somewhat spec wise to this.

Its pretty much finished now, bar swapping the Saint cranks for the new '07 XTR offerings.

I'm very pleased with it - all works very well together & like most Nicolai's is very unique

a tight kick sound
    Quote Originally Posted by -C-
    I've had mine for a year now, and refined it somewhat spec wise to this.

Its pretty much finished now, bar swapping the Saint cranks for the new '07 XTR offerings.

I'm very pleased with it - all works very well together & like most Nicolai's is very unique
    oohhhhh now that is what I am talking about! Nice lookin C.

Think I saw this over on PB but glad you got er up here now!

Your weight should be down around 35/36 with those xtr bits and bar stuff! Not bad bro!!!

booner

Aug 2006
    Hi Guys,

Whew, just got back from a week riding in Spain so not been around. Whafe where in Spain are you ? We rode some great trails but it seems you need a guide to get the best out of it. We were in Estepona near Marbella on the Costa del Sol. Bit freaked out that baggage handlers damaged my bike tho, both directions and despite the bike being packed to within an inch of its life and all obvious bits removed. We watched em out the plane window throwing bags around like a game then my bike fell back outta the hold ! Anyway, no major damage thankfully but need a few new bits.

Anyway guys we still have a few spaces for the Nicolai week in Italy 13-20 Oct, promises to be one hell of a week but better get in quick, it's being opened up to all Nicolai UK dealers tomorrow. Basically any Nicolai rider who speaks good English is very welcome. Drop me a mail.

ziegi

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    is the Nicolai Helius CC able to take jumps? Cause I cant find any info about it anywhere. I heard the Helius excels in climbing all kinds of uphill terrain. Is that true?

mtbr member
    May 2006

The Helius CC just rocks.......

Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    is the Nicolai Helius CC able to take jumps? Cause I cant find any info about it anywhere. I heard the Helius excels in climbing all kinds of uphill terrain. Is that true?
    The best I can tell you is that the CC is in fact a xc bike on paper,but I've owned mine since Nov.of 06 and I've hit lines on this bike that most here in New England won't even look at on there full out Freeride/dh bikes.I don't think that I should ride it like that day in and day out(that's way I bought a 07 Helius FR(should be here in 5-10 days) So in answer to your question the CC is way more capable than the xc label would have you think,but I would think if you want a bike to JUST jump with,Nicolai has a huge line up of sick frames to fit any and all needs.Peace CF.

Aug 2006

Helius CC for jumping !

I'd kinda agree with Crazy Fred but Nicolai wouldn't i'm sure !!

If you're getting an FR anyway i'd save the CC for All mountain and CC stuff and take the FR on the more heavy duty terrain.

Oh, and yeah that CC baby can climb, and climb and climb....you getting it ? It loves to climb

Still 3 or 4 spaces left on the Nicolai trip by the way guys.....

"Its All Good"
    I'd kinda agree with Crazy Fred but Nicolai wouldn't i'm sure !!

If you're getting an FR anyway i'd save the CC for All mountain and CC stuff and take the FR on the more heavy duty terrain.

Oh, and yeah that CC baby can climb, and climb and climb....you getting it ? It loves to climb

Still 3 or 4 spaces left on the Nicolai trip by the way guys.....
    Ziegi, have looked at the site re this trip. Is it indeed open to other riders outside of the UK?

Also, the terrain looks great, fantastic in fact, but how much climbing is there, is it more XC orientated or more FR... Ya know the Nucleon TFR will not be ideal for huge amounts of climbing, well more so that I wont be...

Aug 2006

Nicolai week

Hi Whafe,

Just to clarify.

The criteria for coming on the Nicolai week are :

1. You must be a Nicolai owner
    2. You must speak English as the tour is led in English so for safety reasons English must be either your first language or very good.

Other than that, come join us !

The terrain is NOT like an alpine or even Spanish terrain where there is lots of climbing to get to the good stuff. Obviously it is not ALL pointing downwards either but please don't think there'll be loads of climbing because there won't. The trails are what i'd call gnarly XC/AM. There is no jumping or out and out DH.

The fact that it's a Nicolai Owners week means that there will be a wide variety of bikes and riders which is basically what it's all about. We have guys on Helius CCs. Helius FRs and 44lb TFRs.

So, you wanna come, or just wanna ask any questions drop me a mail. I'm just headed back to Austria from a week in the UK and won't get home til Tues evening so apologies if i don't respond right away.

Can't wait to see the 2008 kit....

ziegi

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Hope the Moderators Read

Just to clarify, why don't we have a Nicolai Forum? Is it a money thing ie Jenson sponsoring the Zion board? Keeping tabs on a single thread is getting a little long.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by CAO
    Just to clarify, why don't we have a Nicolai Forum? Is it a money thing ie Jenson sponsoring the Zion board? Keeping tabs on a single thread is getting a little long.
    CAO, I wrote a PM some time ago to Francios re gettign a Nicolai area within the Manufacturers forum, really odd that he did not reply, generally he is super quick to reply. Will send one again.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I thought I had seen several post in the Feedback Forum several months ago. Just seems odd to be limited to one thread for all Nicolai Topics.

By the way has your AMX come in yet? Still anticipating a ride report and photos, just hoping I didn't miss it. It's at the top of my dream list once everything settles in with the helmet cams and funding opens up. Of course it is also dependent on a test ride, hoping to catch one state side.

"Its All Good"
    I thought I had seen several post in the Feedback Forum several months ago. Just seems odd to be limited to one thread for all Nicolai Topics.
    CAO, as mentioned this morning, I sent an email to ask the question again to Francios. He should reply to an email. But you are correct, it is pretty rank that there is not a Nicolai Forum in the Manu area... More need to ask the question also....

Yep my Nucleon frame has arrived, still waiting on the components, which are in transit, actually they have arrived in Spain, but still going threw the system, oh the joy of being able to track stuff. Am still waiting on the CCDB shock, this is coming from the USA Nicolai importer. This is what will hold the build up.

A pic to temp you....
    Last edited by Whafe; 03-19-2007 at 08:07 AM.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Am still waiting on the CCDB shock, this is coming from the USA Nicolai importer.
    I know you can't wait to build it up...CC's factroy is only about 3 hours from me if you need it quick I can call and see if they have the shock in stock and just ship one direct, I imagine you're getting a deal through nicolai though. Let me know I got the day off and just finished bleeding some brakes and building a wheel for the bling-tana. Trying to patiently wait till 12pm when everything wakes up on the west coast.

pic did not post so now i'm really drooling.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ok now i really want one

just started a new thread in the site feedback forum.

"Its All Good"
    I know you can't wait to build it up...CC's factroy is only about 3 hours from me if you need it quick I can call and see if they have the shock in stock and just ship one direct, I imagine you're getting a deal through nicolai though. Let me know I got the day off and just finished bleeding some brakes and building a wheel for the bling-tana. Trying to patiently wait till 12pm when everything wakes up on the west coast.

pic did not post so now i'm really drooling.
    Fully appreciate the offer CAO. I heard through Blacksheep Cycles that the shock shipped last Thursday to Eurobike in Ca, he has not let me know anything as yet, so am please that BSC has been checking with Cane Creek as to progress.

A couple more pics to just give you a little more foreplay. It is in my lounge, just steering at me all night. It is hard work steering at this piece of art....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    nice bike, G-Boxx looks sweet, although I dont see it coming into the XC market anytime soon cause its huge. Just look at those sick welds and paintjobs. Niceee

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Wow, just wow - that paint is awesome and the welds look fantastic as always. And you caught me with my cc out and everything...must show some restraint...damn this is going to be a loosing battle.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    nice bike, G-Boxx looks sweet, although I dont see it coming into the XC market anytime soon cause its huge.
    Nice low center of gravity. No mis-shifts...Hmmm remember when xc race bikes were 20lbs and now they are 24-26lbs? Give it time, they'll come around.

"Its All Good"
    nice bike, G-Boxx looks sweet, although I dont see it coming into the XC market anytime soon cause its huge. Just look at those sick welds and paintjobs. Niceee
    wheelhot, it pays not to speak to soon in this day & age...

It will be in the XC market before too long. You need to take into account the loww centre of gravity, along with tubeless wheelsets, weight starts to have different definitions...

See this link to a XC GBoxx steed

http://www.nicolai.net/products/e-frames/e-nuc-amx.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i see, but im pretty sure by next year, the GBoxx would get lighter and hopefully Nicolai would have a US online dealer.

"Its All Good"
    i see, but im pretty sure by next year, the GBoxx would get lighter and hopefully Nicolai would have a US online dealer.
    For sure they will get lighter sa you mention... Not sure about an online dealer. Well www.blacksheepcycles.com are online. Call and talk to Ethan or Toni. Couple of great guys, hugely helpful to me. And believe me, when you wait 6 months for a frame, you get to know the store well.... All round cool people and shop.....

Aug 2006
    Oh Whafe that is stunning, just beautiful.

So, what's the build gonna be, precisely. I love someone elses new projects nearly as much as my own !

ziegi

"Its All Good"
    Oh Whafe that is stunning, just beautiful.

So, what's the build gonna be, precisely. I love someone elses new projects nearly as much as my own !

ziegi
    Ciao ziegi, see the attached link of the build, more or less this is it, am still waiting on the CCDB shock, so not long to go really. Am excited to say the least....

http://www.whafe.com/whafesprojectnicolai.htm

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That's gonna be one Sweet Ride. Dang that build looks like it came right out of my garage, lots of similar tastes. Was just building a new wheel for the La Bruja as lugging around hadleys/mag30's was a bit overkill for most riding. The matching front hub is still on back order but the rear turned out pretty good.

Have fun with the build - that one is worthy of a 6-pack

Aug 2006
    Whafe,

I like, i like alot !

ziegi

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Here's mine, out of the gallery.

It's a wee bit heavy, but I like it like that...

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I don't know how I missed this thread...

Pics of my Helius have been posted many times over. Green BMXTB just arrived and I've got the headset and fork mounted on my UFO-DS. Need to snap some pics and post 'em up. These are my personal bikes, not dealer spam...

Lots of great lookin' rigs in this thread, glad to see so many Nicolai's out on the trail. I'm dieing to got my UFO-DS ready to roll, the season's not far away. Snow's been melting fast in these parts...

Aug 2006
    Very nice indeed johnbuzzardman.

So how many more replies to this thread do we need before we get us a Nicolai Forum ? Mods, you reading this ?

"Its All Good"
    Johnbuzz, that is great looking. Can you give us a Spec list. Yummy in fact

ziegi, have had no luck with replies from the mods, some pm's, emails... mmmmmmm not the best. Have another plan....

Aug 2006
    Whafe, do tell.....

ziegi

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just about to order a Helius FR after a few years of disappointing bikes and cant wait!! Does anyone know if the top tube length on the Nicolai site is virtual or actual.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugs
    Does anyone know if the top tube length on the Nicolai site is virtual or actual.
    I believe it's 'effective' top tube length, I think it's what you're calling virtual.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    The numbers that you're seeing on the Nicolai website are for the effective toptube length. From the head tube to the point where the extended seatpost would intersect.

Feel free to shoot me an email any questions you have Dugs, be more than happy to help out.

a tight kick sound
    Yeah!
    Git some Helius FR Awsome bike. Wish I still had mines.
    If I had more money I would go for the Helius CC to go with my UFO...

mmmmmmm Nicolai forum....mod's you know you want some!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks guys, I guess in that case I'll need the large as I am 6'3" and my current SX trail has an effective top tube of 625mm. Was going to go for all black but seeing the Fire Dept. red has changed my mind - its looks sweet!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    At 6'3" you could go either med or large dep on how you like your bikes to feel. If you want pedaling efficiency and an all-mountain feel then large is def the ticket. A med can still work and some like the standover height improvment, even at your height. Lots of factors and ofcourse custom geo is always an option with Nicolai.

Keep in mind that you can have your front triangle just about any color under the rainbow. The classic colors all look great but there's a ton of options to choose from. I just had a UFO-DS done in Aircraft grey with matte black decals and a ano black rear triangle, came out great and def unique.

And ofcourse we've all drooled over Whafe's camo...

"Its All Good"
    Dugs, on the colour thing, I wouldnt go red myself, yep it looks great, but there are so many colours to choose from, make the frame colour a bit of you and have something unique as Err mentions.............. The colur selection is amazing. This link has some great build pics of all sorts of colours etc.

http://homepage.mac.com/ozzemale/PhotoAlbum79.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the link, I know what you mean about making the bike unique, its just the fear of going for something I end up hating. I think i'll bite the bullet, but only 7 hours till I place my order so will have to spend some time deciding instead of working!!

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugs
    Thanks for the link, I know what you mean about making the bike unique, its just the fear of going for something I end up hating. I think i'll bite the bullet, but only 7 hours till I place my order so will have to spend some time deciding instead of working!!
    Yep, know that feeling. If you look at my link below, My Dare was stealthy, I then went to more colours. I decided on this one to go stealthy with the Camo front Tri, am stoked it looks subtle but great in my opinion....Maybe talk to Falco at Nicolai and if you have a colour choice, ask him for a larger colour shot of it or something. Loads to choose from though. 7 hours till you order, yeah ha, best of luck...

mtbr member
    May 2006

Its finally on its way.....

Hey guys,just found out my FR was shipped out yesterday and should be here next week.I can't [email protected] wait,I've not been able to sleep for months.A brand new CC three months ago now an FR to go with it.I am on top of the world.I'll post pictures A.S.A.P.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sweet I know you'll be happy to see that UPS man. Congrats on the new frame, a ride report will be needed as well.

Whafe - Have you heard anything from Francis on getting a Forum?

"Its All Good"
    Crazy F, bro, know how you feel with no sleep for 2 months, try 6.5 months my man. Gets really hard to stay with it...

CAO, nothing from Francios, am a little pissed about this too. Not one reply. I asked another buddy whom is a moderator to chase it up also. He mentioned that MTBR is trying to limit the number of forum topics.

Doesnt make it any easier for us though.

Those of us with Nicolai's, drop a PM to Francois and ask the question re a fourm for Nicolai in the Manufacturers areas.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    He mentioned that MTBR is trying to limit the number of forum topics.
    Yeah I'm real surprised that Francis or anyone from mtbr has not responded to you or I, even in a pm. I could almost buy that excuse but then how do they explain the addition of the Zion forum. WTF, excuse me but aren't they a house brand of some online retailer made cheaply in Taiwan. Nothing against that but is there a huge interest behind a house brand and not a company that is innovating a new drivetrain method. There is absolutely no interest in the GBOXX or these beautiful machines Wow, I'm shocked

"Its All Good"
    I too am stunned, not at all knocking the Zion brand either, but come on MTBR, give me strength...Didnt even see the Zion forum...mmmmmmmmmm What now?

As mentioned earlier in a post, all those wishing for a Nicolai forum, speak up and send a message to Francois

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ordered my Helius FR frame with hopefully only a weeks wait as the importer has several in stock!! Getting it without rear shock as I want a DHX air so need to order this separately. Could someone please confirm the shock required is a 200mm length 57mm stroke and also the seat collar diameter and front mech diameter as I can't seem to find this anywhere. Cheers again

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    yeah, its kinda odd dont ya think that Zion is in the manufacturer's forum. Even me doesnt know bout it. Perhaps is cause none of the forum mods never owned a Nicolai??

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    It's gonna be fun....

a tight kick sound
    Ohhh dear god
    Beautiful........
    That thing is gonna be sick Mang!

ahhhhhhhhhhhh

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    SWEEEEET!!!! That's one sick weapon. Looks like it will build up nice and light for ya.

Is that a 6.5" x 1.5" rear shock, just looks small. The frame has some nice subtle changes from the 06/05.

Did you get my email or shock? Got an error on one but the shock should have arrived today or tomorrow. Just got back from the doc, and they have decided to operate so I guess the super rush is over. But the UFO and Trials bike will be the only ones that I will be able to ride for a while. Looks like I have 2-3 weeks now. Thanks again for your help, you've been awesome to deal with.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    CAO, hit me up at [email protected]. I think you might have been talking to Ethan but I can make sure you get taken care of.

Shock is a 7.875 x 2.25.

That's right, 4.5" travel frame with a 2.25" stroke shock, can you say schweet!

"Its All Good"
    Err, bro that colour looks sick, stunning looking frame. Dang, snows melting, new frame has arrived, you are set. Cant wait to see the build completed. That is indeed the ducks nuts..............Bring on the Nicolai's..... redefining the definition of fans, taking into account how much effort to get one...LOL...

Now Francios, how about the deserved Nicolai forum....................................

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That is a sweet ride Err!, looks similar to the build I'm planning on my Helius FR with Pikes and air shock. Look forward to hearing how she rides

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Whafe, at work, so I'll have to get back to you on Parts, there have been some changes too.
    OnOne "TheGimp" Saddle - now a BrooklynMachineWorks - I like Sturdy stuff
    Tioga DH racing rims (forget nomenclature) now Stan's ZTR 355 rims
    Hope Mono's m6 w/ Danger Boy Levers with Goodrich Braided brake line - or is it Hopes...durn, I furget.
    Truvative 31.8 stem and Handlebars...Hussefelt I think. I know...I know..should know off the top of my head.
    Thompson seat post
    DHX 4 shock
    Nixon Platium 05 model
    Swapped out the Kenda's for Conti 2.3 Vertical Pro...just my favorite all conditions tire.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbuzzardman
    Whafe, at work, so I'll have to get back to you on Parts, there have been some changes too.
    OnOne "TheGimp" Saddle - now a BrooklynMachineWorks - I like Sturdy stuff
    Tioga DH racing rims (forget nomenclature) now Stan's ZTR 355 rims
    Hope Mono's m6 w/ Danger Boy Levers with Goodrich Braided brake line - or is it Hopes...durn, I furget.
    Truvative 31.8 stem and Handlebars...Hussefelt I think. I know...I know..should know off the top of my head.
    Thompson seat post
    DHX 4 shock
    Nixon Platium 05 model
    Swapped out the Kenda's for Conti 2.3 Vertical Pro...just my favorite all conditions tire.
    Sweet bro, thank you for that info. At somestage we will get a build thread going for the Nicolai bikes. Be good to make a database so to speak of builds....

mtbr member
    hi folks,
    here's my ride:

http://fotos.mtb-news.de/fotos/showp...2148/cat/11809

2006 Helius FR
    size: custom L/ XL
    weight: 16kg with Rohloff gear hub drivetrain

cheers,
    philip

"Its All Good"
    Very nice Scherge, keep coming back to these threads.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Lovin' the Rohloff Scherge!

local trails rider
    Medium Argon FR?

Does anybody have an Argon FR in Medium?
    Looking at the numbers, the angles and TT length look perfect for me but I am a little stand-over challenged ... Nicolai gives the seat tube length center of BB to top of seat tube. Can anyone easily get the Medium center of BB to top of TT measurement?

Any pics of the Medium?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Medium Argon FR?

Does anybody have an Argon FR in Medium?
    Looking at the numbers, the angles and TT length look perfect for me but I am a little stand-over challenged ... Nicolai gives the seat tube length center of BB to top of seat tube. Can anyone easily get the Medium center of BB to top of TT measurement?

Any pics of the Medium?
    I'll shoot Nicolai a note for ya and ask, I don't have any numbers on standover. It also would be easy enough to order a Small Argon FR with the TT length of a Medium. The small has a seat tube length of 16.9" so you should have no problem getting the seatpost extension you need.

local trails rider
    Custom dimensions cost extra, and I am not swimming in cash... My current bikes are about 16" center of BB to top of TT and that is OK but more is too much.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Custom dimensions cost extra, and I am not swimming in cash... My current bikes are about 16" center of BB to top of TT and that is OK but more is too much.
    I hear ya on the $$ and I'd have to double check with Nicolai but adding a bit of length to the top tube shouldn't be terribly expensive. Many manufacturers would consider that a minor change. When you're going all out for a Nicolai, it's nice to get exactly what you want.

I did shoot the a note though to see if I could confirm standover height for ya.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    I'd have to double check with Nicolai but adding a bit of length to the top tube shouldn't be terribly expensive.
    Anyway, I am not in a rush to get another frame right now...
    If I end up with an Argon FR at some point, I think it will be a Medium, stock or slightly tweaked (TT with enough slope... I think the seat tube angle will be fine with a seat post that has a little lay back).

"Its All Good"
    perttime, you may or may not have seen this site, many build shots here, I know there is an Argon, dont know if it has an Argon RR....................

http://homepage.mac.com/ozzemale/PhotoAlbum79.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    hey, is helius a single pivot bike?

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    hey, is helius a single pivot bike?
    Horst Link. You can see the pivot on the chainstay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    but aint horst link a 4 bar? why I only see 1 pivot on the Helius?

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    but aint horst link a 4 bar? why I only see 1 pivot on the Helius?
    Ok here's a picture of Helius FR

You can see the main pivot above the bottom bracket (steel-colored cap) and the chainstay pivot to the right of the dropout (black cap).

Here's a quote from their 2007 catalog:
    Neutral 4 bar linkage suspension design. The idea behind this design is simple: minimize
    the influence the chain has on activating the shock under pedalling loads - the
    result is a full suspension design which has fantastic pedalling characteristics even
    with long travel frames. It means also that so-called "stable-platform-shocks" are not
    necessary with this type of suspension design. As the SPECIALIZED company is
    the sole owner of the patent rights regarding this suspension system, we produce our
    4LINX under license.
    You can see for yourself: https://www.nicolai.net/download-are...g-2007-low.pdf (page 38)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ooh, thanks I miss out the pivot at the chainstay. Hmm so so far they are only 2 pivots, interesting. And it is really simple

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    ooh, thanks I miss out the pivot at the chainstay. Hmm so so far they are only 2 pivots, interesting. And it is really simple
    Man, you must be kidding me or something
    There're also pivots on the top and on the bottom of the swing-link or whatever it is called, the part that hangs from the toptube, to which the shock and the seatstays are attached. That makes it 4-pivot, or 4-bar, which in this case is essentially the same.

When I mentioned 2 pivots, those were the pivots that separate the frame from the rear wheel. As opposed to only 1 pivot between the main triangle and the rear wheel on single-pivot frames.

"Its All Good"
    wheelhot, see the picture that smith posted for you, have added some arrows as to where the pivots are for this set up.

Sit back and take your time and look at it logically and it will come to you......

mtbr member
    May 2006
    has anybody ridden an nucleon amx?how about some test reports from mags?thanks

Jan 2007

Selling TFR G-Boxx for a Hellius FR

I am selling my Nicolai TFR G-Boxx for a Hellius FR. The TFR is sweet but too much for xc riding.

Anybody have a Hellius FR? Likes/Dislikes??

Anybody want to buy my TFR? It's sweet, just too much for xc. I choose the Hellius FR because the CC seemed a little to light for me (200lbs).

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer
    has anybody ridden an nucleon amx?how about some test reports from mags?thanks
    I'm not sure but I have read somewhere that it hasn't got into production in 2007. Only prototypes exist. They (Nicolai) are going to redesign it and include in their 2008 line.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Ok, here's my new Helius FR finally received, built up and photographed.

Frame: Nicolai Helius FR 2007 black anodized, no stickers, custom geo (ETT 600 mm, ST 425 mm), standard derailleur + Rohloff cable guides, ISCG mounts
    Headset: FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro Deep Cup
    Fork: Rock Shox Lyrik U-Turn 2007
    Rear shock: Fox Van R 2007 200 mm eye-to-eye, 57 mm stroke, 400 lbs/in spring
    Headset spacer: FSA 10 mm, aluminium
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite 31.6 x 410 in-line
    Seatpost collar: Author Ru AQR-C04-34,9
    Saddle: SDG BelAir RL ti rails

Stem: RooX Danny's FRD 50 mm, 0 degrees
    Handlebars: Race Face Deus XC 25.4 mm, 635 mm wide, 25 mm rise
    Grips: Race Face Diabolus Lock-on with plastic plugs

Bottom bracket: Race Face X-Type FR/DH
    Cranks: Shimano FC-M600-3 (Hone)
    Granny ring: Middleburn 24-tooth
    Middle ring: Middleburn SlickShift 36-tooth
    Bashring: MRP Slalom ring
    Pedals: Syncros Mental Pedal Alloy
    Chain: Shimano CN-7701 (XTR / Dura Ace), 54 links
    Cogset: Shimano CS-M760 (Deore XT) 11-34

Shifters: SRAM X.7 2006 3 + 9
    Front derailleur: SRAM X-Generation 2005
    Rear derailleur: SRAM X.7 2005

Front brake: Avid Juicy Five 2006 with Ashima ARO-03 180 mm rotor and filed down Avid PM-PM 185 adapter
    Rear brake: Avid Juicy Five 2006 with Ashima ARO-03 160 mm rotor

Front wheel: Hope Bulb 20 mm / DT Swiss EX 5.1d / DT Swiss Competition 2.0-1.8-2.0 spokes with DT Swiss Standard nipples
    Rear wheel: Hope Pro II 10 mm through axle / DT Swiss EX 5.1d / DT Swiss Competition 2.0-1.8-2.0 spokes with DT Swiss Standard nipples / DT Swiss RWS Thru Bolt rear axle

Tubes: Nokian 26 x 1.75-2.3 Schraeder
    Tyres: front Schwalbe Racing Ralph 26 x 2.4 (with Panaracer FlatAway protective tape), rear Continental Vertical ProTection 26 x 2.3. This is a temporary solution and I'm waiting for a pair of Schwalbe Nobby Nics 26 x 2.4

Computer: Cat Eye CC-MC100W Micro Wireless
    Chainstay and seatstay protection: Lizard Skins Super Jumbo + Jumbo

Current weight is 15.44 kg (34 lbs.).

Some photos:

Non-drive side

Drive side

Shock and shock mounts, uber-adjustable

The welds

Left chainstay with Rohloff cable guides

Left dropout, pivot, DT RWS axle

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    She's a beauty, nice job with the near total black-out.

wyrd bi ful rd
    So if I were to ask you guys ... whether I should get a helius cc or blur LT or heckler or a 5.5?

BTW MR SMITH that is one nice ride

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    So if I were to ask you guys ... whether I should get a helius cc or blur LT or heckler or a 5.5?

You will say I am biased etc, and although this is a Nicolai thread, I still say the best bike from the quiver you mention is for sure the Helius CC. I think Nicolai bikes are stunning, the build quality and ride is excellent.............Nicolai

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Hey thanks chinaman!

Jul 2006
    here's my Helius ST.
    terrific bike: best i've ever tried for freeride.
    the mine one is now built with 888rc.

(the drop is in the garden of the italian nicolai's official dealer: spot, Monte Grappa)

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by beppogatto
    here's my Helius ST.
    terrific bike: best i've ever tried for freeride.
    the mine one is now built with 888rc.

(the drop is in the garden of the italian nicolai's official dealer: spot, Monte Grappa)
    Ciao beppogatto, awesome looking Helius ST, having the ability to put a dual crown fork on a Helius really shows how adaptable that frame is.....Great to have a drop like that in your LBS's garden, sweet..................

wyrd bi ful rd
    You will say I am biased etc .....
    No I do not think so ... I am already leaning very heavily for the cc ... 20mm maxle front fork or QR ??? Either the pike (up to 140mm or revelation 130mm) Will most probably stick with coil forks. QR rear should be enough.

I get adrenaline rush from climbs as much as downhills and I think a bolt through rear will add too much weight.

Do not intend to do more than 6' dropoffs. Old bones cant take too heavy knocks ...

"Its All Good"
    No I do not think so ... I am already leaning very heavily for the cc ... 20mm maxle front fork or QR ??? Either the pike (up to 140mm or revelation 130mm) Will most probably stick with coil forks. QR rear should be enough.

I get adrenaline rush from climbs as much as downhills and I think a bolt through rear will add too much weight.

Do not intend to do more than 6' dropoffs. Old bones cant take too heavy knocks ...
    I would very much go for the 20mm axle, the small weight penalty is so worth it, but do have to get a new wheel if you were running QR hubs.... I have thrashed a Pike 454 Air for over a year and it has been stella, no issues at all.

Would also go 140mm travel, so the Pike as I said...

What wheels are you looking at building or do you have?

Look forward to seeing this beast....

wyrd bi ful rd
    What wheels are you looking at building or do you have? ...
    Toss up between a hope Pro II or DT 340 hubs with EX5.1d rims. Will go with a 20mm front and maybe a 10mm rear bolt through.

I am currently using a Pro II with my rigid HT Yeti and have no issues with them. Lighter and cheaper than the 304s.

Still have a bit of time ... not decided on the frame as yet.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Toss up between a hope Pro II or DT 340 hubs with EX5.1d rims. Will go with a 20mm front and maybe a 10mm rear bolt through.

I am currently using a Pro II with my rigid HT Yeti and have no issues with them. Lighter and cheaper than the 304s.

Still have a bit of time ... not decided on the frame as yet.
    Just get the rear 12mm Maxle. There's hardly a weight penalty and it's so much easier to use than bolt-on 10mm hubs. DT Swiss does have their RWS quick release for 10mm hubs that is kind of a QR/bolt-on hybrid and looks nice but the Maxle rocks.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Just get the rear 12mm Maxle. There's hardly a weight penalty and it's so much easier to use than bolt-on 10mm hubs. ...
    Will I be able to use a 12mm rear on a standard rear drop-out?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Will I be able to use a 12mm rear on a standard rear drop-out?
    A standard rear drop-out is 10mm. With the Hope Pro II's you can easily convert the hub from 12mm thru-axle to 10mm bolt-on with just a swap of the axle. Hadleys and I9's also offer this flexibility. I believe you can convert some of the DT Swiss hubs as well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My Helius ST

"Its All Good"
    Sweet shot randen, sweet bike, me likey..............................

mtbr member
    May 2006

GOHD bless those Germans,,

Quote Originally Posted by randan
    My Helius ST

Now this my friends,is a [email protected] Mountain Bike.Man O man if only I had this bike back in 01-02-03-and 04.People think I went big back than on the sh!t bikes I was riding,If I only had this baby,WOW.. OK now there goes the head again,Well I got the 08 CC coming and I could set it at 5" sell my FR frame and get one of these bad boys,and set it up at 7.on and on and on it goes..RANDAN MY FRIEND SWEET A$$ BIKE FOR SURE..CF..

local trails rider
    Doesn't anybody but me keep a bike for more than a couple of months...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for your compliments. The bike is indeed nice, but anyway I think I will sell it and get me a 2008 Helius FR, because this bike will fit better for my stile of riding. The Helius ST is more than I will ever be able to do on two wheels.... ;o)

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by randan
    Thanks for your compliments. The bike is indeed nice, but anyway I think I will sell it and get me a 2008 Helius FR, because this bike will fit better for my stile of riding. The Helius ST is more than I will ever be able to do on two wheels.... ;o)
    Hi ya randan

Seems to be a number of us moving to the FR, this is a great thing too I must say...

Please jump on this link and vote for support to have a dedicated Nicolai Forum area... Cheers....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=nicolai+forum

Sep 2005
    Damn! I too took all the stickers frommy black frame and fox fork! Stealth! I'll post pics when I get a digital camera!

wyrd bi ful rd

Hey Whafe

... Look forward to seeing this beast ....
    Couple of moons later ...

I found this in my garage!

20070927 nicolai helius frame mtbr forum.jpg

Not the camo monster that you have but will at least be a cc beast ...

... Setup Data base for the Helius CC will have a post soon. I have some components, most already decided and some yet undecided.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I figured I'd jump in here too... I've been waiting for a Nicolai specific forum for a while now. Thanks to the people that got it organized. She's an oldie but a goodie
    Intense 951 Evo and Santa Cruz Megatower

ich bin der Geilste
    wow nice bikes, i got one 2

a tight kick sound
    Now that's what I am talkin about!!!
    Make sure that baby gets into the ufo st set-up thread.

BEAUTY!!

POWERCRANK addict
    Nicolai Nucleon TFR #49 with DT-Swiss SSD110 and Marzzo Bomber Z.1 freeride 2. Pictures when I get it put back together and some pedals. E-bay rocks.

Frame - Nicolai Nucleon TFR 2005
    rear shock - DT SWiss SSD 210 L
    Fork - Marzocchi 2005 Z1 FR 2
    Pedals - Time Atac Z XX
    Saddle - Selle Italia Yutaak
    Seatpost - Maverick Speedball R
    Stem - Race Face Diabolus
    Bars - Race Face Diabolus
    Grips -
    Brake levers - Magura Louise
    Brakes - Magura Louise
    Discs -
    Front hub - Marzocchi QR20 plus
    Rear hub - Nicolai (incl. in frame)
    Shifter - Rohloff twist
    Headset - Race Face Diabolus
    spacer - 5mm black alloy
    Spokes -
    Rims - Mavic XM 321 disc
    Tyre front - Schwalbe Light Albert
    Tyre rear - Schwalbe Fat Albert
    Tubes - schraeder
    Rim strips -
    Cables -
    seat tube clamp - QR
    chain -
    Last edited by markhr; 01-11-2008 at 03:01 PM.
    shameless POWERCRANKS plug

Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

my commuter

POWERCRANK addict

shameless POWERCRANKS plug

Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

my commuter

Members who have read this thread: 0