Ano bronze Helius FR WIP

Printable View

• 12-12-2007
    lordmike
    Ano bronze Helius FR WIP
    This is my pride and joy, as of this afternoon...

Since I won't have time for dirt until Xmas, I stuck on some Conti SportContacts and have been riding her to work for the last three days.

The Selle Thoork saddle was unbearable, so I exchanged them for some new elbow/knee pads and Shimano DX flats.

Thomson Masterpiece and Gobi are the new additions for today.
    Currently, she is sitting at 31.82lb but that is bound to go up with mountain treads.

XTs will replace the Hope M4s with some more fun stuff making its way to me before Xmas:
    KCNC 11-34T cassette
    KCNC BearBone crankset/chainrings
    Token Ti/ceramic BB
    KMC SL9x chain
    Chris King 1.5 NoThreadset
    Thomson X4 45mm 1.5 stem
    XTR Shadow rear derailleur
    XTR shifters
    DT Swiss EX200 rear shock with remote.

Two more days to receive goodies before the weekend.
    What I will gain from offroad tyres will easily be offset by some of the lightweight components. Will also order a CCDB with Ti spring in the new year.
  • 12-12-2007
    Whafe
    Looks sweet and odd at the same time.. More sweet than odd though, am not seeing the road slicks......LOL

Well I like th ecolour, looks good. That is a respectable weight to. taking into consideration the spec. You may have a finish weight of that easily, witht he additions in the next few days...

So how does she ride on the road?
  • 12-12-2007
    lordmike
    The only way to describe the ride on the road with slicks is, it's surreal.
    The spring is undersprung for my weight which means a steady cadence is a must,
    but translating input onto the road seems to be more direct and fluid than a VPP IMO.
    I have a Manitou Swinger SPV lying around the house and once I have some proper mounting bushings for it, I'll put it on until the EX200 arrives.
    I've located the proper spring too from our local mtb forums so I should get a better idea of how a Nic should ride very shortly.

As for the colour, when I went into the LBS today to exchange the saddle, I stared at the ano black FR and somehow the wanton lust that was there before, had waned. The ano bronze isn't just growing on me, I'm glad I got it!
    Besides, there are too many nice black ones here already to compete against. lol.
  • 12-12-2007
    crisillo
    sweet ride, lordmike! (ignoring the slicks for the moment :p )
  • 12-12-2007
    Whafe
    Cool to hear positive vibes from the few road rides you have had... Am sure it will get better with time....

Will you have the chance to get her dirty off road over the weekend?

The Gobi saddles are great........
  • 12-12-2007
    Karve
    whats the current build weight dude?
  • 12-12-2007
    Whafe
    31.82lbs
  • 12-12-2007
    Smith
    Congrats dude!

Be sure to get some chainstay and seatstay protection though.
  • 12-13-2007
    lordmike
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone.
    The previous owner tubed the chain and seatstays, but I removed them for a frame inspection.
    They will be wrapped up again in no time.
  • 12-13-2007
    boone
    AWESOME!!!
    You will love it.
    Get us some action shots next baby :)

Congrats.
  • 12-16-2007
    lordmike
    No actions shots yet, but I did have a brain explosion at the LBS resulting in the purchase of a set of Crossmax SXs.
    Stuck on the Dewlite, just for the hell of it.
    Still many pieces to come in this coming week, so I will wait until it's fully complete before adding to the database thread.

• 12-16-2007
    Karve
    Hey lordmike... that is a tasty looking rig. loving the ano color going on. What size frame u got there. Hows the DHX coil riding?
  • 12-16-2007
    lordmike
    Thanks, The frame is a small and it fits like a glove, at 5'8.
    The DHX3 is undersprung for my weight.
    I'll need a 500 before I'll roll off anything higher than a foot.
    Been talking to Malcom from Cane creek about ordering a CCDB with Ti spring.
    I'm also looking to get a DT Swiss EX200 with compression remote system.
    I'm gonna spoil this baby. :D
  • 12-16-2007
    lordmike
    Oh, and I took the pig iron Evolve DH off the Nic and slotted in the original XT crank arms.
    That will do until the Middleburn gets here.
  • 12-16-2007
    Whafe
    its looking sharp, real sharp, the colour grows on me big time....

Go the Middleburn cranks and a CCDB, be rocking... Malcolm is a top guy, been a great help to me with any questions... SPeedy replier too, which rates big time..
  • 12-16-2007
    Uncle Cliffy
    Lordmike: I always like anodized frames, and bronze is awesome. Nice ride...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whafe
    its looking sharp, real sharp, the colour grows on me big time....

Go the Middleburn cranks and a CCDB, be rocking... Malcolm is a top guy, been a great help to me with any questions... SPeedy replier too, which rates big time..

Hey Whafe, your new Helius takes a 200 X 57mm shock correct? (7.875 X 2.25)
  • 12-16-2007
    boone
    Lookin sweet LM!

Cliffy me thinks you are correct on that shock size call...arrrrrr
  • 12-28-2007
    lordmike

Just went for a quick 2 hr ride along some local fire roads.
    Awesome. Confidence-inspiring.
    Just pick a line, commit yourself and the nicky takes care of the rest.
    Full report once the XTR shifters and CCDB are installed.

And here's a pic of my two beauties... :D
  • 12-28-2007
    lornibear
    Hey lordmike, nice Nicolai there buddy, it's looks the nuts. What fork are you using up front? and by the way, nice Golf! where do you ride mate?
  • 12-28-2007
    Jerk_Chicken
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Lordmike: I always like anodized frames, and bronze is awesome. Nice ride...

Hey Whafe, your new Helius takes a 200 X 57mm shock correct? (7.875 X 2.25)

Here's a pic of my ano bronze Turner:

It's either gold or a bronze depending on the lighting, but it's pretty eye-catching all around.

• 12-28-2007
    Err
    Looking sweet LM! I've always been a fan of the Bronze Ano, a very unique color and one I have always associated with Nicolai.

BTW, love the VDub. I've had a few VW's and Audis myself, fun cars.
  • 12-29-2007
    lordmike
    Thanks guys.
    The front fork is Zocchi 66SL1 ATA 1.5" steerer tube. I managed to buy one in immaculate condition for next to nothing from the Aussie MTB forum trade section.
    Mostly ride local trails around Terrey Hills, Oxford Falls and Manly Dam. Haven't done Manly Dam in a very long time. The last long ride was out at Menai.
    I'm quite fortunate that in my NSW address, I have some really nice, rocky fire roads which are perfect for tuning and setting up initial builds.

Cheers on the colour kudos Err.
    I'm loving the ano bronze too. I'm suprised how different the colour looks under different light sources. I'll never get bored of it, I guess. :)
    The R32 is my first VW and won't be my last. VAG cars are still understated in Aus, but the mkV GTI has boosted (pun intended) the VAG popularity down under. I won't be getting rid of her for a long time, but when I do, fingers crossed I can pick up a decently priced B7 RS4 wagon!