Alright CF, damnit were gonna go at it now!- Mtbr.com

Jul 2007

Alright CF, damnit were gonna go at it now!

With all of your "bordering on insane" support of Nicolai I am forced to have to purchase one. Now, you're in big trouble if I don't like it . I'm pertty sure with the type of riding that I do that the UFO-DS will be the best choice for me (wish it had 1" more travel though). I have been contemplating a Transition Bottlerocket for a month or so but Fred's dialog on Nicolai has really given me no choice but to try one for myself. Fred and I have recently had our differences but I do respect his abilities and his choices of bikes. So in the end I'll probably be thanking CF.

'All over it!'
    Well if CF's advice is as good as he has given me, you will be one happy chappy

Jul 2007
    Oh yeah, how the heck do I order one? Does the US dist. have a website?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Hey combatkimura

Quote Originally Posted by combatkimura
    Oh yeah, how the heck do I order one? Does the US dist. have a website?
    Check your PM"s

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Hey man, I have a UFO-DS now. Fantastic frame for sure. I use mine for aggro trail riding and DJ's. Running a 36 Talas, DHX-A, 5.1's laced to hadleys, comes in at just under 34 lbs. It really rips, even on some fairly aggressive DH. I had it up at Fernie for a few days in Sept and it handled everything with ease.

Let me know if I can help out with some info, I've got quite a bit of time on mine now.

Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Hey man, I have a UFO-DS now. Fantastic frame for sure. I use mine for aggro trail riding and DJ's. Running a 36 Talas, DHX-A, 5.1's laced to hadleys, comes in at just under 34 lbs. It really rips, even on some fairly aggressive DH. I had it up at Fernie for a few days in Sept and it handled everything with ease.

Let me know if I can help out with some info, I've got quite a bit of time on mine now.
    I do plan to use is for just about everything, with the HTA adjustability it's very versatile. I don't do epic XCs, I mainly just look for berms to rail, things to jump, drops. I also want to race some 4x next season. This frame looks to be able to take everything I can dish out and laugh at it.

My only question so far is; does the 4.5" of rear travel seem to be enough? I'm a HT junkie so I'm sure it'll feel considerably more plush than my current bikes.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I do plan to use is for just about everything, with the HTA adjustability it's very versatile.
    It's a very versatile frame but it is no climber It will set the berms on fire though. For racing I run mine with a rp23 and hadley's/4.2d's...and for fun days 5th coil or dhx-a and hadley's/mag30s. The travel is plenty for racing and many times I find myself in the 105mm setting, while the 115mm is good for rough courses or jumping. It will take what ever you can dish out and is one of the most robust ds/4x frames out there.

If your looking for a pure drop machine then take a look at the ST but if you are thinking about racing or a fun jump bike that can take a beating then you're on the right track.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    oh and if you are trying to order one, contact Toni (err) or Ethan over at BlackSheep, they know there stuff and will help with the many details that are available like no other.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I find the 4.5" to be enough. I've run a couple of different forks and noticed that bigger forks like the Totem and 66SL (both lowered) are nice when it gets rough.

Here's a vid a shot with a few friends up in Jackson, WY this summer. I'm on my UFO-DS with a totem solo-air on it, worked really nice on their freeride trails: http://broadbandsports.com/node/10807

I came up a bit short on one of the bigger gaps up there on my first run and the 4.5" was enough to save me from disaster.

Jul 2007
    Hey Tony, I used to live in Charlotte, up in the University area. Wish I was still there, I'd stop in to see you. I used to ride at a trail that was a little north of Concord Hills Mall (I think that's what it was called). Could you PM me with ideas on how much a UFO-DS would run me? I'm not sure if color choices change the price at all; there are so many it'll take me awhile to decide. Do they do any anodizing?
    Last edited by combatkimura; 10-08-2007 at 08:59 AM.

"Its All Good"
    Sweet combat, you will not be dissapointed.... Err will sort you out good and well, he is sorting my second Nicolai as we speak..................

All good............
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

'All over it!'

Hey Whafe....

You got your final build specs for your FR yet? Am ordering mine next month in the jungle cammo with the CCDB. Am going to go with a slightly heavier wheelset than my 819 combo. Just out of interest, is there much price difference from your supplier to RRP?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Hey Tony, I used to live in Charlotte, up in the University area. Wish I was still there, I'd stop in to see you. I used to ride at a trail that was a little north of Concord Hills Mall (I think that's what it was called). Could you PM me with ideas on how much a UFO-DS would run me? I'm not sure if color choices change the price at all; there are so many it'll take me awhile to decide. Do they do any anodizing?

PM sent. Powder coat is included in the base price except for camo. Ano is available in black and bronze.

Jul 2007
    Well, are they worth it? I just need some positive reinforcement on purchasing this frame. I've started the saving process, it'll be somewhat slow going since I am also saving for an engagement ring . Is this the frame for me? I want something flickable, rock solid, and above all else fun everywhere I go (not climbing though I don't consider that fun, just do it to get somewhere that is fun :P)

mtbr member
    May 2006

Worth it????

Well, are they worth it? I just need some positive reinforcement on purchasing this frame. I've started the saving process, it'll be somewhat slow going since I am also saving for an engagement ring . Is this the frame for me? I want something flickable, rock solid, and above all else fun everywhere I go (not climbing though I don't consider that fun, just do it to get somewhere that is fun :P)
    Are you kidding me?I'd more worried about this being the right woman than this being the right frame(I'm clearly pluging what I belive is the sweetest ride out there) and zero disrespect to the woman you are planing to spend the rest of your life with(but I'd still rather have the FR )Peace.CRAZY FFFFFFFF

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Are you kidding me?I'd more worried about this being the right woman than this being the right frame(I'm clearly pluging what I belive is the sweetest ride out there) and zero disrespect to the woman you are planing to spend the rest of your life with(but I'd still rather have the FR )Peace.CRAZY FFFFFFFF

I'm wrestiling with the same question. Do you have any advice for me Fred? I really love my GF, but these bikes are so HAWT! I wonder if she'd except the bike as an engagment ring?... Mabye as a sign of my love for her?... Eh! didn't think so.

This really blows! Would have liked to keep her.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Well,just this one time

Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I'm wrestiling with the same question. Do you have any advice for me Fred? I really love my GF, but these bikes are so HAWT! I wonder if she'd except the bike as an engagment ring?... Mabye as a sign of my love for her?... Eh! didn't think so.

This really blows! Would have liked to keep her.
    BUT,If this continues I'll need to get paid(I except Visa,and money orders)So this one is free better listen up good.""My son the sea is deep and plenty full,BUT the sea of MTB frames of the Nicolai level is as shallow as this post its self""" Choose wise my son choose wise. CF..

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    BUT,If this continues I'll need to get paid(I except Visa,and money orders)So this one is free better listen up good.""My son the sea is deep and plenty full,BUT the sea of MTB frames of the Nicolai level is as shallow as this post its self""" Choose wise my son choose wise. CF..

That was DOWN RIGHT genius!

Jul 2007
    Gotta change your user name to CRAZY WISE FRED now

Members who have read this thread: 0