2015 Helius TB 29er with 130mm fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

New question here. 2015 Helius TB 29er with 130mm fork?

I've finally pulled the pin on a Helius TB 29er frame and am looking at different fork options at the moment.
    I want to run a DT Swiss OPM ODL fork and am considering using the 130mm version instead of the 120mm. Does anyone run a 130 on this frame and how do you rate it? In theory I don't mind the effects of running a slightly longer fork but it decreases the reach and with my monkey arms I'll need a longer stem which is what I'm trying to avoid...

mtbr member
    130mm is covered by Nicolai's recommendations for this frame:

http://shop.nicolai.net/pdfs/Nicolai...0TB%202015.pdf

As for the reach, yes it will get shorter, but on the other hand your seat angle will slacken and the horizontal top tube length will "grow" between bottom bracket and seat (post). The overall horizontal distance between saddle and handlebar will grow unless you use a fast forward seat post. As the seat tube angle is rather steep, the slightly slacker seat tube should not be a problem in terms of the bike's climbing abilities, that is my old-school XC opinion of course. Also, the steerer angle is not that slack, so a longer fork will probably give you a bit more stability in faster descents. Sounds like a good deal to me - I'd go for 130mm as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Midgetman View Post
    130mm is covered by Nicolai's recommendations for this frame:

http://shop.nicolai.net/pdfs/Nicolai...0TB%202015.pdf

As for the reach, yes it will get shorter, but on the other hand your seat angle will slacken and the horizontal top tube length will "grow" between bottom bracket and seat (post). The overall horizontal distance between saddle and handlebar will grow unless you use a fast forward seat post. As the seat tube angle is rather steep, the slightly slacker seat tube should not be a problem in terms of the bike's climbing abilities, that is my old-school XC opinion of course. Also, the steerer angle is not that slack, so a longer fork will probably give you a bit more stability in faster descents. Sounds like a good deal to me - I'd go for 130mm as well.
    Hey Midgetman,
    Thanks for the quick response ... I know the spec/geometry sheet VERY well  as I've spent hours over it and know that the fork is still within what Nicolai accepts for this frame.

I've also just found this:

geometryCalc

A calculator that shows you how much you change the geometry with different fork lengths. It's spot on what you said and along the lines that I was thinking also. As this is going to be a keeper and an allround trail machine I'm going with the longer travel fork, seems to make total sense and the changes are actually quite minute.
    Cheers.

What model Nicolai are you riding or are you just going through the forums?

mtbr member
    Actually, I have two, a Nonius and an Argon 29CC.

The Nonius (XXL) is set up with a 140mm Pike fork - this results in rather slack angles as the standard setup would be with 100mm fork (complete nonsense if you ask me - even the coil sprung Pike has trouble to meet the performance of the 130mm rear suspension). However, the bike got me over the Alps twice, C2C through Scotland, and even took me to a 24h race victory (don't know what happened there). So it's pretty versatile and has this funny go-cart feel.

The (co-sponsored) Argon (XL) is your quintessential XC race bike. On the heavy side, but as stiff as it gets and pretty agile. I have to admit that I generally prefer the Argon - but that is down to my preferred kind of riding.

If I got myself a new dual suspension bike, I would also go for the Helius TB. But I do not see that coming at the moment.

Congrats on your decision! You will love the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    2015 Helius TB 29er with 130mm fork?-img_7351.jpg

Hey Midgetman,

I just wanted to say that I love the bike ... !

Cheers,

Steini