2008 Nicolai Helius FR- Mtbr.com
    "Its All Good"

2008 Nicolai Helius FR

Hi All

Managed to get some tid bits of info from Nicolai on the new 08 Helius FR. The new tweaked 08 models are ready now, next batch is being built in October...

I have asked Nicolai for some Geo figures, no geo changes for 08

This is what I did get re changes:

The main changes of 2008 helius FR:

new leverage for better responding and softer suspension.
    167mm of rear travel
    shorter seat stays for a more rigid rear
    new style head gusset for more steering rigidity and better cable routing
    stronger head tube with more flesh in the lower cup area and a milled N badge on the front

Old frame shot
    Geo figures
    Kawasaki Green Helius FR from EuroBike (taken from MTBR Eurobike pictures)

A Magura Wotan fork for this bike may well be groovy, along with Magura brakes...... mmmm Best of German....

Booner, Err, Crazy Fred = Thoughts ?????? Along with everyone else.............
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"Its All Good"
    Can totally see the shorter seat stays, change in shock mount area, shock mount pivot is further back.............Of course the head gusset...Top tube looks a little less busy. Not that it bothered me in the past.......

Mmmmm the mind is racing...........................Ti El G or a Nicolai Helius FR..........
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"Its All Good"

Good job!

Just a picture of one sexy ass Helius FR.......................

Leash Law Enforcer
    Whafe,

Do you know what AC height Nicolai is basing that HA on? Is it 150mm, smack in the middle of the fork travel acceptability range? Thanks!

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Ti El G or a Nicolai Helius FR..........
    After seeing them both, it's clear to me.......
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Bro your [email protected] killing me.

I'm a mess today as it is,I got a guy who wants to buy my CC.Thought I'd do it so to fund a new 08 bling bling CC(not that the $6400.00 I've got into my 07 CC isn't bling) Than I thought I'd grab that g-box from Mat and set mr FR up as a 5" bike(28-29 pound 5"machine)Now you throw the bad boy my way.OH LORD DOES IT EVER [email protected] END???????HaHa no,really?Now I could sell my CC order a new 08 FR set up at 6"take my other FR set it up at 4-5".HELP ME PLEASE.Is this 08 frame any lighter?Looks as if it is.Crazy FRed....

Trophy Husband
    Hi All
    Hey, that seat tube brace on the green one is a nice touch...do all of the Helius' say "HELIUS" like that?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Hey, that seat tube brace on the green one is a nice touch...do all of the Helius' say "HELIUS" like that?
    No that's new for 08.

Jan 2004
    where do i sign up? that's some psick stuff...seriously

a tight kick sound
    WHafe,
    That new one is Fpockin ssick sick sick!!!
    My opinions:
    REally make sure you pay attention to what the stand over is gonna come out to and what the BB is gonna be. Nicolai is usually really good about making the right choice on the BB height for the bike and I will not argue with them...but that number is not always right for everyone. Try very hard to get any number with any fork to get some idea of where you will be.
    The new HT gusset is sweet. Should be stiffer yet and super strong..maybe for a little bigger fork? The old style gusset chewed right through my hoses that route through there! Nice touch
    Shorter SSs is trick, added stiffness x2 (WOW)
    Boost in rear travel is good!! Lower leverage ratio is always good!! Should make for a really smooth ride.

That is one super nice bike brotha! If I could afford both my nicolai UFO ST and an 08 helius FR...No questions I would be there! The used Turner 5 pack was just too good of a deal for me to pass up And it rides ok...not Nicolai solid but ok hehehehe

oh and that bike behind the gree one is my choice. HElllll yeah.

Fo shnizzle...PM Err...thats where you sign up my man. That is one thing I will never be wrong about

"Its All Good"
    Geo, as CF mentions, totally new for 08 to have the name there, some had the name elsewhere similar though.

Geo, get hard and share your thoughts on "After seeing them both, it's clear to me......."

Crazy Fred, my man, it is indeed a dilema for sure, there is a number of subtle changes on the 08 that I have married up with your good reviews and vibes, the thing is rocking bro....In my humble opinion, you really need to drop the hammer on a GBoxx, have aHelius for the riding that you do, like we mentioned in PM's, then have a GBoxx like I have setup for more FR / DH stuff....

Pinch = am askign this question directly, dont want to speculate. So will re post the answer shortly...

Faux, bro it is indeed some sick stuff. Am not pushing the nicolai thing, but if this bike has the quality or the frame feel that my Nucleon has, i am all over this like flies on a big toot........Am still a little torn on the Titus Ti El G, it rode so nice..... But am nearly there with this decision...........................Ha ha, you thought another Helius Picture, no dinner on lake Geneva whilst doign some work in Switzerland last week....

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinch
    Whafe,

Do you know what AC height Nicolai is basing that HA on? Is it 150mm, smack in the middle of the fork travel acceptability range? Thanks!

Pinch = exact reply from Nicolai - The geometry datas are based on a fork with a fitting length of 540 mm. The maximum length allowed is 555 mm. We recommend forks like RS Lyric or Fox 36 with 160 mm of travel and a fitting length of 545 to 550 mm.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Hmm, that '08 Helius FR is lookin' tasty and should do everything you need it to. The updates look spot on with focusing on the leverage ratio and stiffness. Also, that's plenty of travel for some big hits. I just spend last weekend at Fernie on my '08 Talas 36 RC2 and it handled everything, right up there the performance of my '06 66SL. That combo would be sweet on an FR.

Overall, I think the geo on the Helius FR is superior to the other choices that we have discussed.

Jan 2004
    Geo, as CF mentions, totally new for 08 to have the name there, some had the name elsewhere similar though.

Geo, get hard and share your thoughts on "After seeing them both, it's clear to me......."

Crazy Fred, my man, it is indeed a dilema for sure, there is a number of subtle changes on the 08 that I have married up with your good reviews and vibes, the thing is rocking bro....In my humble opinion, you really need to drop the hammer on a GBoxx, have aHelius for the riding that you do, like we mentioned in PM's, then have a GBoxx like I have setup for more FR / DH stuff....

Pinch = am askign this question directly, dont want to speculate. So will re post the answer shortly...

Faux, bro it is indeed some sick stuff. Am not pushing the nicolai thing, but if this bike has the quality or the frame feel that my Nucleon has, i am all over this like flies on a big toot........Am still a little torn on the Titus Ti El G, it rode so nice..... But am nearly there with this decision...........................Ha ha, you thought another Helius Picture, no dinner on lake Geneva whilst doign some work in Switzerland last week....
    nice pic.

dude, dont get an El Guapo man. Titus bikes are for guys wear Crocs

Oct 2005
    Very cool to see it built. I saw some advanced shots a while back

Leash Law Enforcer
    Whafe - Thanks for the info! Sweet looking ride for sure.

Other questions for those in the know:

1. Seat tube length - Is it really 18.7" on a medium? That seems super long to me, especially when trying to get behind the seat for the steeps. Is it measured from bottom of BB or middle of BB? Speaking of BB, what is the BB height on that frame?

2. Weight - What's the weight on the frame?

3. Custom Geo - I thought I read somewhere that Nicoai has some custom geo options. True?

That looks like a great frame. Those chain stays look like they could take some abuse for sure. I assume that with FR attached to the name this frame can be given a pretty good workout. I'm with Err, throwing my '06 66SL up front would be killer on this frame for sure.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Hmm, that '08 Helius FR is lookin' tasty and should do everything you need it to. The updates look spot on with focusing on the leverage ratio and stiffness. Also, that's plenty of travel for some big hits. I just spend last weekend at Fernie on my '08 Talas 36 RC2 and it handled everything, right up there the performance of my '06 66SL. That combo would be sweet on an FR.

Overall, I think the geo on the Helius FR is superior to the other choices that we have discussed.
    oh mama.......and to think. my 66SL is being shipped back to me today......hmmmmmm

aint nobody able to sell a used RFX frame right now worth a darn though....that is the problem, not to mention, it too is a great bike but man, that nicolai is dope

Living Ghetto Fabulous!

1. Seat tube length - Is it really 18.7" on a medium? That seems super long to me, especially when trying to get behind the seat for the steeps. Is it measured from bottom of BB or middle of BB? Speaking of BB, what is the BB height on that frame?

3. Custom Geo - I thought I read somewhere that Nicoai has some custom geo options. True?

That looks like a great frame. Those chain stays look like they could take some abuse for sure. I assume that with FR attached to the name this frame can be given a pretty good workout. I'm with Err, throwing my '06 66SL up front would be killer on this frame for sure.
    I like a 600-610 TT and about a 17 or 18 inch seat tube. With a 14.25 BB height and able to run a 565 mm fork with a 66 degree head angle, blah blah blah. Looks like custom geo for me...

Err
    Calm like a bomb

Yes those are the correct seat tube lengths, it's not a problem to order a different length though. These frames are almost always built to order so custom geo is a great way to go. I have short legs so my next frame will prob have a size small seat tube on an otherwise size medium frame.

EDIT - BB height is +20 mm so, just shy of 14".

Medium claimed weight with shock is 8.58 lbs.

No problem at all on custom geo as long as it is a technically feasible change.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    I like a 600-610 TT and about a 17 or 18 inch seat tube. With a 14.25 BB height and able to run a 565 mm fork with a 66 degree head angle, blah blah blah. Looks like custom geo for me...
    Actually, that's all good making those tweeks is pretty easy to do. Might as well get what you want if you're going to go with a Nicolai. Custom doesn't drive the cost up that much.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Yes those are the correct seat tube lengths, it's not a problem to order a different length though. These frames are almost always built to order so custom geo is a great way to go. I have short legs so my next frame will prob have a size small seat tube on an otherwise size medium frame.

EDIT - BB height is +20 mm so, just shy of 14".

Medium claimed weight with shock is 8.58 lbs.

No problem at all on custom geo as long as it is a technically feasible change.
    I'm starting to envision my dream bike more and more I guess. Basiclly a Bottlerocket like design, except Nicolai. (Ya know, Horst link but with 7 inches of travel and maybe a tad shorter chainstays with super low standover and able to run the new 66rc3 )

"Its All Good"
    Yep, with a Talas 36, Lyric or a Wotan...... Not allowed to have 66's on Nicolai's thats a Homer only fork.........

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Yep, with a Talas 36, Lyric or a Wotan...... Not allowed to have 66's on Nicolai's thats a Homer only fork.........
    Heeeey... I dig the 08's but if you mean I ride like a Homer, well I'm not going to argue! That's why I want a burly fork, like your Totem. (probably the coil if I get one...)

"Its All Good"
    Yep, I too am running stuff through in my mind as to how I would spec this bad boy. And then the most important thing of all the colour of the frame..

No this is going to be the frame, am 99% on this one now......

Err, do you feel we would need to do any custom slight mods for the Whafe? I am pretty much liking the numbers..

Hearing some good reviews on the Wotan fork......Uncle C, the Totem may well be a little big for the Helius FR, you could lower the travel to 160mm I guess, it is as tough as nails as a fork though.....

I quite enjoyed the coil Lyric to, spent 2 days on one a while back.... MA hearing and reading good sh!t about the 08 Fox long travel single crown forks.....

Nicolai Helius FR Frame
    CCBD shock with Ti Spring
    Fork - mmmmm ?????
    Wheels - Thinking still
    Brakes - Magura Luise Carbon
    Seat post - Thomson Masterpiece
    Sram XO mid cage rear Der
    XTR front Der
    XO shifters

Still thinking on other stuff.............

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Yep, I too am running stuff through in my mind as to how I would spec this bad boy. And then the most important thing of all the colour of the frame..

No this is going to be the frame, am 99% on this one now......

Err, do you feel we would need to do any custom slight mods for the Whafe? I am pretty much liking the numbers..

Hearing some good reviews on the Wotan fork......Uncle C, the Totem may well be a little big for the Helius FR, you could lower the travel to 160mm I guess, it is as tough as nails as a fork though.....

I quite enjoyed the coil Lyric to, spent 2 days on one a while back.... MA hearing and reading good sh!t about the 08 Fox long travel single crown forks.....

Nicolai Helius FR Frame
    CCBD shock with Ti Spring
    Fork - mmmmm ?????
    Wheels - Thinking still
    Brakes - Magura Luise Carbon
    Seat post - Thomson Masterpiece
    Sram XO mid cage rear Der
    XTR front Der
    XO shifters

Still thinking on other stuff.............

Nah, don't think there's any need for you to go custom geo. But do go for the 12mm thru-axle option.

Fork - 08 TALAS 36
    Wheels - Hadleys laced to 5.1's with Sapim CX-Rays

mtbr member
    May 2006

Catch this..

[email protected] 66sl's,you couldn't give me two free 66sl's over one paid for 08 Fox whatever.I'm running a 08 Fox Float and it is soooo much better than my 07 66sl.Yea its a nice fork of course,mostly for guys out there with no skills and or no balls.Its a great fork for someone to hide behind.AKA Homors?Don't [email protected] know don't [email protected] care.Its way to much fork,and you don't need it.I DON'T NEED THAT MUCH FORK.Why? one I'm not hitting big stunts or drops anymore,been there, done that, all set ,not impressed.And as for the Turner RFX,nice bike? for [email protected] sure,nice like Nicolai nice? NO [email protected] WAY.End of story,that's it,don't want to hear about anymore.

"Its All Good"
    Crazy Fred, check out this thread, where we can yarn about the boundry pushing Nicolai is doing http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=336545

Err, those are the wheels I would go to, same as on the Nucleon, except different rims, have had a good run with the 5.1's.... mmmmmmm

mtbr member
    May 2006

Whafe baby,

Crazy Fred, check out this thread, where we can yarn about the boundry pushing Nicolai is doing http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=336545

Err, those are the wheels I would go to, same as on the Nucleon, except different rims, have had a good run with the 5.1's.... mmmmmmm
    I'm already on it.

Err
    Calm like a bomb

Actually, we did your 823/Hadley combo with DT supercomps. CX-Rays are bladed for a little extra bling, still full strength. I'd have suggested I9 but you've already got a set and you know, being a professional bike whore, you gotta mix it up a bit

"Its All Good"
    Actually, we did your 823/Hadley combo with DT supercomps. CX-Rays are bladed for a little extra bling, still full strength. I'd have suggested I9 but you've already got a set and you know, being a professional bike whore, you gotta mix it up a bit
    Sounds good, yep I may be a whore, but you provide for the whore, does that make you a pimp......

Well I am truly happy to have you supplying me the goods. You rock!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=336557

"Its All Good"
    First draft of the build spec on the Helius FR................................ Colout thoughts are many, but dont have it sorted as yet............ Have a few things in my head, as does Booner.....

Still not 100% on the cranks either.....

Frame wise, am still thinking seriously............. 90% the Helius and 10% Ti EL G & 0% RFX..

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Looking good dude.

If King doesn't have a headset ready, maybe a Sunline or Acros (German)
    Maybe a Blackspire stinger instead of the DRS, but then again, nothing wrong with E-13
    Seems like the XTR's will be nice but the new Gravity Lite's are sweet -> http://www.ridegravity.com/fly.aspx?...axid=13&pid=45

Not really anything else I'd consider changing.

"Its All Good"
    Looking good dude.

If King doesn't have a headset ready, maybe a Sunline or Acros (German)
    Maybe a Blackspire stinger instead of the DRS, but then again, nothing wrong with E-13
    Seems like the XTR's will be nice but the new Gravity Lite's are sweet -> http://www.ridegravity.com/fly.aspx?...axid=13&pid=45

Not really anything else I'd consider changing.
    Hi ya.......... Yeah, FM made a reccommendation on the Blackspire Stinger, it is light and small, but what are your thoughts on having some chain ring protection....

Yeah it is odd re the CK 1.5, they haev been saying for some time mid 2007. Will wait and see, not having any issues with the FSA on the Nicolai though....

Will suss more out on the Gravity cranks, which are FSA......

FM, thought to look at the Tru Noir also, but have not seen those run as dual rings,

mmmmm Still totally stuck colour wise...........

mtbr member

mmmmm Still totally stuck colour wise...........
    there is only one answer... bare Ti. the perfect colour.

did they ever find your Gboxx bike?

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    there is only one answer... bare Ti. the perfect colour.

did they ever find your Gboxx bike?
    Yep they did find it, it is safe and sound with me... Thank goodness...

Yes bare Ti is a great colour indeed..................

mtbr member
    May 2006

Bro what r u doing?

Yep they did find it, it is safe and sound with me... Thank goodness...

Yes bare Ti is a great colour indeed..................
    NICOLAI FR I'm going to pretend I didn't see or hear anything else.Now care to try this again? That's what I thought.CF.. (Hey Whafe NICOLAI FR)

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    NICOLAI FR I'm going to pretend I didn't see or hear anything else.Now care to try this again? That's what I thought.CF.. (Hey Whafe NICOLAI FR)
    Its all cool and the gang....................

"Its All Good"
    Crazy Fred, your thoughts on the spec list, suggestions?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Color, that's a tricky one.

The color chart is quite large ->
    http://www.nicolai.net/products/feat...olorchart.html

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I think they have a burnt orange color, maybe do that and gold? 70's style...

Jan 2004
    Crazy Fred, your thoughts on the spec list, suggestions?
    I aint Fred but dude, that is a psick build.

I have not tried CCDB but I hear nothing but good things. I love Avalance shocks of all I have tried (including PUSHed coils) but no doubt the CCDB is great.....just WAY too complicated for me given how many friggin setting there are.

Personally, I would go with Syncros DS 28 rims over the 5.1s. I have owned both and the Syncros are psickerer IMHO....they are 28mm wide just like the 5.1s, but are WAY, WAY TALLER/DEEPER which is killer.....and they are only about 30 grams more a piece. Just my opinion though....5.1s are great too and are better if you opt to go tubeless at some point.

Not sure I would go with the Nic rear tire...sure its faster, but the Bettys are the psickest single ply tire out there.....its almost not fair to call em a single ply given how schwalbe reinforces their sidewall. Besides, the Bettys roll great for a 2.4 tire. Well worth the extra grams to me.

I am also paranoid with carbon bars (even DH ones) but thats just me.....there are so many good Al bars that dont even weight much more and are cheaper. but to each their own.

"Its All Good"
    Yep have done bulk study on the colour charts, some new ones to in the 08 brochure too though...............Have in my mind Kawasaki Green, Ano Silver and then maybe a cool yellow.................. Mind is racing though... Thought of raw as well with a clear coat....

Trying to concentrate on this build and watching Eyes Wide Shut, seen it many times, but it is an interesting film to say the least........

Trophy Husband
    Color, that's a tricky one.

The color chart is quite large ->
    http://www.nicolai.net/products/feat...olorchart.html

I LOVE the color chart.

"Its All Good"
    I LOVE the color chart.
    You have OD'd on your smart pills my man

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Yep have done bulk study on the colour charts, some new ones to in the 08 brochure too though...............Have in my mind Kawasaki Green, Ano Silver and then maybe a cool yellow.................. Mind is racing though... Thought of raw as well with a clear coat....

Trying to concentrate on this build and watching Eyes Wide Shut, seen it many times, but it is an interesting film to say the least........

That Kawasaki green does look nice. The Kryptonite green on my BMXTB came out pretty sick as well and matches the green King hubs almost perfectly.

Eyes Wide Shut, great flick...

a tight kick sound
    Ohhh dear god!
    Whafe you da man baby.
    I have some new ideas re color after looking at tons of Nic frames, the color chart and of all things 08 ski gear hahahah Will pm ya!

That build looks good buddy...we must be on a the same wavelength or something

One of these days I'm gonna find out why you are not in on the Turner thing for some reason. hahahah
    Last edited by boone; 09-08-2007 at 07:24 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Err.

I think they have a burnt orange color, maybe do that and gold? 70's style...
    The orange is called giltter bomber and its to die for.Well good new and bad news,Bad news first it seems as if Carl(Karl)is going to uping the priceing for [email protected] ME right?and not sure what they are,and won't know till Tuesday or Wednesday.The good news is I'll be ordering next week a 08 CC in SKY CAMO.Unless I getmy question answered from Carl,I want to know if he'll make me a FR with a CC rear end,and if that's a good idea that will in fact work out nicely.Sort of a 5-Pack if you will,except it will be of amazing detail and beauty.A sort of FRC if you will.So a 08 CC sky blue with blue I9's blue hope stem,seat colar(and maybe headset.RF carbon bars and seat post.WTB carbon Devo seat.FSA carbon cranks(because I've got a brand new pair doing NOTHING.If that don't pan I'll get XTR's like my FR.On the fence with XTR bits,rear derail,and fromt or X9 stuff.Brakes of course will be Hope's.and either Fox 140 Talas or bike set will be at 4"with the new 08 Fox F120.The Turner Forum will never ever be the same again.Whafe we are really on the same page,much like Err it would seem.BUT no way in hell do you need a CCDB on a Nicolai FR ,Its like a whore with feeling's you just don't need it.Its was to stiff,we talked to Malcome? about this many times.Ther's just way to much [email protected] its not a Turner,which needs a CCDB to feel right(if you ask me)or a vpp for that matter.Low ratio need not apply for CCDB,or just that Nicolai's Horst link design is spot on perfect.Ok that's enough of CF's lack of much grammer post.Your eyes must be ready to fall out.till the next time CF.BTW wher the [email protected] is our Forum already.

"Its All Good"
    Faux, Crazy Fred, Err, Booner..........

Thank you for the thoughts.... I hadnt really thought of the Syncross rims. I must be a creature of habit, have had outstanding results with 5.1D's and Mavic 823's, all I have used for years............... Maybe need to look at something different....

I love the CCDB on the Nucleon. But as mentioned, I have not had any other shock on the Nucleon, perhaps the setup is so sweet the benefits of the CCDB are not needed..... On the other hand, I think Malcolm is a top dude, been super cool with me. So would like to support a grass roots dude and company.....

Tyre wise, yep, hear you on the Nobby Nic. I have a Betty on the MotoLite, really like it. So could throw one on the back also.....

Carbon bars, I have never had a problem really, touch wood.....

CF, I can understand prices going up, way of the world. Err will sort me, always does. I dont say that from a W a n k view point, just have to except that things go up...

CF, this build sounds sick. Cool colour choice too. Be interesting to hear the thoughts on mating a Helius CC rear end on the the Helius FR front. It would surprise me if the front Tri's were the same and it is in fact just the different rear as differences with the CC and the FR.....

My colour scheme is going to be more subdued, I am over all the colour schemes for me, they look sick, but have done a few builds like that.....

So will be all black components, frame will be a plain ish colour and have an idea to bring a really really subtle bit of colour in.... And I mean subtle............

Need to think of some rota's to use that will work with the Louise Carbons, dont need the venti disks, and plus am not wanting the red tone that is on the venti disks.........

Yep, I never get sick of Eyes Wide Shut, Mr Kubrick is a true legend, or was, the film world is slightly less off without him here to make his films.................. Now A Clockwork Orange is another great film............................

Am off for a ride.................

thats right living legend
    I'm a BIG Nicolai fan, and that green is REDUNKULESS!!!! But after having ridden the El-Guapo I'd be allll over a ti EG. That low BB is the shizznit! I suggest all of you get a ride on that bad boy before you go giving Whafe bad advice... he's impressionable.

And after having seen the actuall production version of the ti EG (I have a connection ) it's an absolute work of art! That new FR is sweet in a German industrial "whips and chains kind of way" but give me the fit, feel, and ride of an EG in titanium anyday.

And I wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of crocs! Those kind of shoes are for my 4 yr old nephew.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I'm a BIG Nicolai fan, and that green is REDUNKULESS!!!! But after having ridden the El-Guapo I'd be allll over a ti EG. That low BB is the shizznit! I suggest all of you get a ride on that bad boy before you go giving Whafe bad advice... he's impressionable.

And after having seen the actuall production version of the ti EG (I have a connection ) it's an absolute work of art! That new FR is sweet in a German industrial "whips and chains kind of way" but give me the fit, feel, and ride of an EG in titanium anyday.

And I wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of crocs! Those kind of shoes are for my 4 yr old nephew.
    Good points bro..... I too have spent 2 days on an El G. some 9 hours riding, and I rated it big time. Hence the dilema I am in. I want it in Ti, like you, I have seen the production to be model, and it is the shizzle..... But my beef is it has gone all quite as to when I can have when in my hot sweaty palms.....

I have 2 magical bike frames to choose, if indeed I go the Helius FR way, I will still have a Titus in my stable, a different project.... Having a re sort of the stable.....

At this point, the Helius FR is ahead of the Ti El G

UH!! Give it to me BABY!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006

"At this point the FR is ahead of the Ti EL G.

Good points bro..... I too have spent 2 days on an El G. some 9 hours riding, and I rated it big time. Hence the dilema I am in. I want it in Ti, like you, I have seen the production to be model, and it is the shizzle..... But my beef is it has gone all quite as to when I can have when in my hot sweaty palms.....

I have 2 magical bike frames to choose, if indeed I go the Helius FR way, I will still have a Titus in my stable, a different project.... Having a re sort of the stable.....

At this point, the Helius FR is ahead of the Ti El G
    As it very well should be.Bad advice about buying a Nicolai? That's the dummest thing I've ever heard. Black A I tottaly respect your passion and your love for Titus(Truth is if no such as Nicolai or Knolly I'd be all over a Titus)but your Titus is out of its leauge next to Nicolai.Again here me when I say I think Titus makes crazy nice [email protected] bikes.I didn't know or hear about them making a Ti El G WOW that's got to be one sweet a$$ whip.Black A any full bike photo's?

.Black A any full bike photo's?
    Nicloia ROCKS!!!... But notice I didn't say just "any" Titus. We're talking a 6" titanium Titus made bike here, that IMHO has a very uniqe ride, and geo for a bike that trail rides, and climbs as incrediblay as it does. But again that Kawasaki green 08 FR gives me a hard on!!!

As for a "full" pic, that would be Whafes territory. He's got one... I haven't the power to post it.

mtbr member
    which ever bike he choses, whafe will sell the first bike in a year anway....then buy the other.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    The Louise's are available without the venti rotors so that's no big deal. If you want fancy rotors could always run Hope M4's instead of the Maguras. Martas may also be an option with larger rotors. I'm rockin' 180's F&R right now and really diggin' the feel, plenty of power for aggro AM.

I'd stay with the CCDB, I'm 99.9% sure there was a setup issue with CF's CCDB. I've ridden and tuned a CCDB and the platform ( AKA low speed compression circuit) can be dialed out for fantastic small bump compliance. I have not ridden another shock that compares with the CCDB.

The geo on the El Guapo is a departure from the Helius-FR. It's a different bike, have to decide which style you want to ride. Both are wicked sweet for the right person.

mtbr member
    May 2006

ccdb setup on fr

[QUOTE=Whafe]Faux, Crazy Fred, Err, Booner..........

Thank you for the thoughts.... I hadnt really thought of the Syncross rims. I must be a creature of habit, have had outstanding results with 5.1D's and Mavic 823's, all I have used for years............... Maybe need to look at something different....

I love the CCDB on the Nucleon. But as mentioned, I have not had any other shock on the Nucleon, perhaps the setup is so sweet the benefits of the CCDB are not needed..... On the other hand, I think Malcolm is a top dude, been super cool with me. So would like to support a grass roots dude and company.....

Tyre wise, yep, hear you on the Nobby Nic. I have a Betty on the MotoLite, really like it. So could throw one on the back also.....

Carbon bars, I have never had a problem really, touch wood.....

CF, I can understand prices going up, way of the world. Err will sort me, always does. I dont say that from a W a n k view point, just have to except that things go up...

CF, this build sounds sick. Cool colour choice too. Be interesting to hear the thoughts on mating a Helius CC rear end on the the Helius FR front. It would surprise me if the front Tri's were the same and it is in fact just the different rear as differences with the CC and the FR.....

My colour scheme is going to be more subdued, I am over all the colour schemes for me, they look sick, but have done a few builds like that.....

So will be all black components, frame will be a plain ish colour and have an idea to bring a really really subtle bit of colour in.... And I mean subtle............

Need to think of some rota's to use that will work with the Louise Carbons, dont need the venti disks, and plus am not wanting the red tone that is on the venti disks.........

Yep, I never get sick of Eyes Wide Shut, Mr Kubrick is a true legend, or was, the film world is slightly less off without him here to make his films.................. Now A Clockwork Orange is another great film............................

Am off for a ride.................[/QUOTE Whafe i had the ccdb on my fr and tried everything even talked to malcolm everything was setup right . fr is different rearend then your frame it was on my bike not cf

mtbr member
    May 2006

This bike here Black.

Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    UH!! Give it to me BABY!!!
    Didn't you post this picture?Do you a full shot of this bike?I'm almost 18 years in this sport and have ALWAYS had top shelve bling rides($3500.00 20 pound rigid Kleins through most if not all of the 90's)And I have always had a soft spot hard on for something,anything Ti.A 6" Ti Titus sure would help me scratch that itch.CF.

mtbr member
    What is the price of the frame. It looks sweet.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Good question,but are u sitting down?

Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles
    What is the price of the frame. It looks sweet.
    They are not cheap my friend.Its funny you ask this question at this time cause they are talking about a increase for 08.Waiting for 08 prices to come in over the next couple days.But $3000 should be the # you start to put in your head.CF.

"Its All Good"
    Err, yeah I have the Marta 180 on the front of the ML, it is a super cool brake indeed. Is it worth jumping ships and running a different brake type, all mine are Magura... May look at the Hope M4's, the Hopes do look good asthetically....

I will for sure stick with a CCDB shock, no negotiation on that one....

ncig, can you please repeat your post, I couldnt get the jist of what you were saying. Cheers..

siko, yep, these puppies are not cheap, it depends how you define cheap or good value... I am thankful that I have worked my butt off and am in a position to be able to have a Nicolai........ Hard work does pay off in the end, well thats what I tell myself....

"Its All Good"
    Thinking out loud... i have for years been able to run a Med Cgae Rear Der with a triple ring crankset, am wondering if I was to build this up with a Dual ring XTR crankset, that I could run a short Cage rear Der on this here steed....

oh, and I tell you what, the Nicolai 08 Bike list looks great printe out in A3 size, talk about drool.....mmm yummy

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

as Err said you can get the Louise with regular rotors...but also the 08 Ventidiscs have a black center... (I think they will also make red, but I saw the black ones on a video on mtb-news.de)

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    as Err said you can get the Louise with regular rotors...but also the 08 Ventidiscs have a black center... (I think they will also make red, but I saw the black ones on a video on mtb-news.de)
    For sure Err is correct, can indeed use the non Venti Rota's. I have the red ones on my Nicolai Nucleon.... Great brakes...

But on this build, am going to be a prat and dont want the red. I have not as yet seen them with black centers, not syaing they are not out there.........

Maybe though, i should step outside my Magura comfort zone and try something else......

I would love some savage type rotor's, would maka me laugh................

I would love some savage type rotor's, would maka me laugh................
    yeah.. like the serrated ones I run

"Its All Good"
    yeah.. like the serrated ones I run
    Yep exactly......

mtbr member
    May 2006

Whafe CCDB all wrong for FR.

Bro not to step on or to upset Err but I think(and many other's in my local Nicolai circle)played with and tried the CCDB on FR's and it was all wrong.My boy John( NCIG)will be posting his thoughts soon Like many other's here this guys knows bikes more so Nicolai's/CF.Not saying Err don't.We can all disigree with out starting a big war. .

mtbr member
    May 2006

Ccdb

Let me start over again the ccdb is a excellent rear shock it just doesn,t work well on a FR the ccdb was set up on my bike not CF we are a nicolai dealer and spent alot of time researching rearshocks for all the bikes .The FR is so efficant that you don,t need any platform at all .This is what we did bought 5 differnt springs sent shock back and then had malcolm go through it with us.Again i am not saying the ccdb is bad! it is just not the right rear shock for the FR . We have ordered alot of ccdb from malcolm and still think they are the best! My opion is that the best rear shock for the FR is a air with no platform that why we will order a bunch of marzzochi rocco air piggyback no platform. CF has 5.0 air on his FR and is working great we also have someone on a rp23 that is a great rider and is droping good sizes drops and has no problem what so ever . So to wrap this up what i am saying is you don,t need a rearshock that has a platform for the bike.

Trophy Husband
    Bro not to step on or to upset Err but I think(and many other's in my local Nicolai circle)played with and tried the CCDB on FR's and it was all wrong.My boy John( NCIG)will be posting his thoughts soon Like many other's here this guys knows bikes more so Nicolai's/CF.Not saying Err don't.We can all disigree with out starting a big war. .
    Whafe

I sort of agree with Fred here. Now, I've never ridden the CCDB and I'm sure it's great, but if you're talkin' XTR and air forks I think you should look at an air shock.

You should seriously take a look at one of these:
    M_Roco_Air_TST_R_3.jpg

This is an AM bike, right? IMO, there is no need for the extra weight of a coil shock. For AM riding (this is my opinion) the benefits of the coil shock are not worth the extra weight.

edit: heh, ncig beat me to it.

"Its All Good"
    mmmmmm Good points all. And I do thank you for these coming forward.... I am not going to pofess to be a gun on shocks, I cant be F'd to be honest with all the playing etc....

I have and do enjoy the CCDB on the Nucleon.....

Err, what are your thoughts. i think this is worthy of some discussion....

C Fred - have you got your platform more or less turned off on your FR?

ncig - have you taken into consideration that the 08 now as a relocated shock which will am sure perform slightly different, I guess better or else the change would not have been made...

I hear great thiings about the Rocco Coils, have not heard a great deal of feedback on the Rocco Air.... Will have to look into it......

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I think an air is worth consideration on an AM rig for ya. I'm running a Rocco Air on my wife's tracer at the moment and it works nicely. I've pedaled a Rocco TST Air (with piggyback) and it felt very nice.

I don't want to get into any kind of an argument with folks on the CCDB. But, I will suggest that the CCDB is not a "platform" shock in the sense of having a bunch of low-speed compression/rebound built in. It does have low speed compression and rebound adjustment but it can be dialed out. I've tried it, I'm certain of it. I will say that at first the CCDB is tricky to setup and it took two days of DH and a day of dirt jumping to strike the proper balance on mine. You have to look that CCDB as something of nearly raw canvas. Malcom/CC gets you started in the right direction with the proper shim stack and some base line settings for your given leverage ratio. After that, it's up to the rider to dial it in. It has been said many times and bears repeating that with as much dampening adjust ability and and as many possible spring rates, it can be challenging to get a CCDB setup just the way you want it. I should also clarify that I am in no means suggesting that CF and/or ncig do not know what they're doing or that they did anything wrong and certainly do not mean to take any sort of a condescending tone. I have no idea what settings or combos they tried and if possibly the shock(s) they were working with had some other problem. I just hesitate to write it off and not functional, that's all.

I'd also like to note that CF and ncig are absolutely correct that the Nic's don't need a ton of platform and that in doing so, really hoses their brilliant feel.

Whafe - You bring up a very important point that the new frame has more travel and therefore there are different forces at work that will affect the performance of of all possible shocks.

Lastly, while I loved my CCDB I'm strongly considering running a Rocco Air on my big bike for next season, or at least trying to make it work. I may buy both and run the Air for jump trails and slope style and save the CCDB for fast DH and huck-gnar.

"Its All Good"
    Thanks Err for your thoughts. It is all great food for thought.

I for one am not opposed to an airshock at all. I am not going to run an airshock just for the purpose of making the bike lighter. I am happy if this build comes to around 31 pounds, am cool as at that. I am not trying to build a weight wiener XC bike.

My goal is a trail bike, AM if you feel the need to name it, that I can more or less not have to think if I want to jump off of a lip, rock etc etc etc. My ExoGrid MotoLite is the ducks nuts, my only negative is that my type of riding I love the mostest, I sometimes have to think about what will happen to the MotoLite......

I dont have the platform part of the CCDB on my Nucleon dialed up high. For me it is not the part of the CCDB I like. I am stoked with the overall feel of the travel, progression on big hits etc, mid hits... I am a dumb sh!t when it comes to being technical about shocks etc. I know from riding when I like something though, and the CCDB has had the best feeling I have felt in any shock I have ridden. In saying that I have not ridden the Nucleon with another shock...

I do listen to Err re the CCDB because when I first ordered my Nucleon with Err, I suggested I wanted the CCDB, purely because of the Ohlins influence, which I always had on my Motocross bikes... Err never knocked my choice. Since then Err has played with the CCDB on his Nicolai along with other shocks... So everyone is having very valid points...

I still stand by my point of that the suspension is going to be slightly different on the 08....

Well am stuck in a rock and a hard place...... Lets see what else comes out.....

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Funny, but I've started to consider the FR as my "big bike" for next season. I really liked my Helius-ST and it's a great ultimate-hucker type frame but I rode it a lot in 7" mode. Thinking about custom geo on the FR with a 66SL 1.5 up front and a 12mm rear. Could be a sweet build....

RAL 2002

Maybe with gold components?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Err well said,

This to me is just more proof that you are in fact a class act and a big reason why when people ask about or talk Nicolai your name is one of if not the first name to be mentioned for advice.The other big big factor here is that Nicolai has in fact made changes to the FR this year.One might ask if some of those changes will or does directly involve different shock options.I agree with ( I forget who posted this) the whole 08 Rocco air STS i think its called,is the shock for this bike.NCIG and myself have two of these 08 Roco's on order(Due to arrive the week after Interbike)just like everything from Marz.I can't wait till we get out Nicolai Forum up and running.And we need to all realize and understand that there will threads and question about Nicolai's,componets,and bikes as a whole,that everyone here may or may not agree with.Alone as we continue to respect each other's point of views there no NEVER be a situation where there is a problem with or between ANY of here.NOW I can't speck for all of the meatballs that will be popping in here from other forums,they now will be fair game Lord help em if they try to come here and bang heads with the likes of some of us."LET'S GET IT ON" CF............

"Its All Good"
    Great points C Fred, all good.... Time will tell on the Nicolai forum area, hoping like anything is pans out..... It better !!!!!!

That colour scheme is pretty Dirk Diggler Err, Me likey.....

I have mine pretty sorted in my mind too, all good........

I tell you, I said before, printing the Nicolai Brochure out on big A3 paper is sweet, it is the shizzle.............

mtbr member
    May 2006

Fr 08

I can only talk about 07 FR because that all we have the 08 is going to be a different beast all together it looks to me that it is going to be a little more beefier and have changed a few things. But i have to say that air shocks are come a long way and now that they are down hilling them is a big thing. I agree with err that it does take some time to get the shock right. Whafe there is another thing that everybody forgot to mention where you ride makes a big differense on shock application and how you ride .The platform on the rear shocks is turned off.The other thing to considered is they made the bike alittle more softer suspension . I think what ever choice you make will be right and if it isn,t then sell it and get something else goodluck ncig

Jan 2004
    Great points C Fred, all good.... Time will tell on the Nicolai forum area, hoping like anything is pans out..... It better !!!!!!

That colour scheme is pretty Dirk Diggler Err, Me likey.....

I have mine pretty sorted in my mind too, all good........

I tell you, I said before, printing the Nicolai Brochure out on big A3 paper is sweet, it is the shizzle.............
    dude, what about a Avy Chubie? at least that way you could tell the chicks you are able to have one without the blue pill

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Part Deux
    dude, what about a Avy Chubie? at least that way you could tell the chicks you are able to have one without the blue pill

Well to be honest, I dont know anything about the Chubbie, well shocks that is.....

I hear some people rave about them and others could give a front bum full of cold water for them..

Do share

Jan 2004

Well to be honest, I dont know anything about the Chubbie, well shocks that is.....

I hear some people rave about them and others could give a front bum full of cold water for them..

Do share
    hard for me to comment as I have never ridden one on a 2008 Nicolai FR to be fair

having said that, i REALLY like em a lot...i am no technical wiz but it is the coolest shock i have ever had. Like it more than my PUSHed Vanilla coil for sure. I like it cuz I am a set it and forget it kinda guy (which is why i would hate the CCDB!). Also, as i understand it, the nitrogen can be refilled at your local motocross shop.

CCDB shocks are for the wine cooler crowd who on occassion, will get tipsy on cosmopolitans at the local ghey bar. Avalanche shocks are for men who actually have pubes.

"Its All Good"
    hard for me to comment as I have never ridden one on a 2008 Nicolai FR to be fair

having said that, i REALLY like em a lot...i am no technical wiz but it is the coolest shock i have ever had. Like it more than my PUSHed Vanilla coil for sure. I like it cuz I am a set it and forget it kinda guy (which is why i would hate the CCDB!). Also, as i understand it, the nitrogen can be refilled at your local motocross shop.

CCDB shocks are for the wine cooler crowd who on occassion, will get tipsy on cosmopolitans at the local ghey bar. Avalanche shocks are for men who actually have pubes.
    Fair enough on the no try on the 08 Helius FR, best you sort things then so as you can.

Well that is saying something if you feel its performing better than a Darren Pushed Shock... I too am a set it and forget it, I set the CCDB, and have never touched it again

Can you still buy the Avy's?

You sound like oyu are getting some of us peeps muddled with another crowd I know.

I have public hair, not sure what pubes are.....................

Jan 2004
    Fair enough on the no try on the 08 Helius FR, best you sort things then so as you can.

Well that is saying something if you feel its performing better than a Darren Pushed Shock... I too am a set it and forget it, I set the CCDB, and have never touched it again

Can you still buy the Avy's?

You sound like oyu are getting some of us peeps muddled with another crowd I know.

I have public hair, not sure what pubes are.....................
    in all seriousness, Avy makes great stuff as far as I am concerned. On my 06 RFX which has a horrible ratio (with only a 2" stroke shock), the Avy cured that problem like I couldnt believe. I speced the Avy, at Jncarpenter's suggestion, to be tuned for DH plushness with as light as shims as possible and it friggin CLAWS up hills and is UBER plush on the downs. I personally could not be happier with it.

I bought mine from SSINGA actually

"Its All Good"
    in all seriousness, Avy makes great stuff as far as I am concerned. On my 06 RFX which has a horrible ratio (with only a 2" stroke shock), the Avy cured that problem like I couldnt believe. I speced the Avy, at Jncarpenter's suggestion, to be tuned for DH plushness with as light as shims as possible and it friggin CLAWS up hills and is UBER plush on the downs. I personally could not be happier with it.

I bought mine from SSINGA actually
    Well good stuff, thanks for the headsup on that. Will have to look into it some more...

Leash Law Enforcer
    Funny, but I've started to consider the FR as my "big bike" for next season. I really liked my Helius-ST and it's a great ultimate-hucker type frame but I rode it a lot in 7" mode. Thinking about custom geo on the FR with a 66SL 1.5 up front and a 12mm rear. Could be a sweet build....
    I've started to wonder about its application in the same way. For someone like me who will never go huge, but wants to have fun and push personal limits, it seems like a great bike. The frame appears beefy enough to withstand some good hits and a HA like that with FR in the name is just begging for a good flogging. I'm with you Err, a 66SL up front and you have something light enough to trail ride but solid enough for lift assist days.

Jan 2004
    Well good stuff, thanks for the headsup on that. Will have to look into it some more...
    pretend the frame was a nicolai...and Fred, pretend the fork was a Fox oh yeah, and i took off the CAUTION yellow part of the Avalanche sticker....was detracting from my gheyness

"Its All Good"
    Pinch, Faux, you are thinking correctly. Faux, a frame swap would have that puppy loving it.....

Jan 2004
    Pinch, Faux, you are thinking correctly. Faux, a frame swap would have that puppy loving it.....
    problem is i helped peer pressure fred into getting red bits....if i were to get a black frame we would look like kissing cousins!

a tight kick sound

RAL 2002

Maybe with gold components?

cOOL!
    Err, this build sounds a lot like what you and I were talking about when I wanted to trade up my other older FR to a slightly bigger rig That would be super sick together with you ufo

Me like this idea a lot!! Maybe some of those new white and red 2350s from dt swiss? hmmm hmm?

"Its All Good"
    problem is i helped peer pressure fred into getting red bits....if i were to get a black frame we would look like kissing cousins!
    Grown men like yourselves would be all good.........................

Been studying the Avy website, sheesh, not the easiest to navigate around.... Make sme laugh though, bet it is a company who make great products, but are not to interested in the web....... what are there forks like, never seen anyone riding with a Avy fork.... Answer your email anyway...

a tight kick sound
    Grown men like yourselves would be all good.........................

Been studying the Avy website, sheesh, not the easiest to navigate around.... Make sme laugh though, bet it is a company who make great products, but are not to interested in the web....... what are there forks like, never seen anyone riding with a Avy fork.... Answer your email anyway...
    hahah, kinda like hadley
    Whafe, I don;t know poo about the new shocks bro...sorry I cannot be of more assistance on this front. It would just be regurj from Err...guy knows his shizz

mtbr member
    May 2006

Hey Fo,

pretend the frame was a nicolai...and Fred, pretend the fork was a Fox oh yeah, and i took off the CAUTION yellow part of the Avalanche sticker....was detracting from my gheyness
    Picture that build kit on a Nicolai FR(66sl and all)WOW that thing would be insane,not to mention about 3 pounds lighter.Trust me bro If we both had the same red on black Nicolai's NO ONE would say anything.I'd see to it.CF.

a tight kick sound
    Whafe...this thread needs some stirring...lemme help!
    How about this for your next color choice

Ya know...just for reference and all.

Jan 2004
    Picture that build kit on a Nicolai FR(66sl and all)WOW that thing would be insane,not to mention about 3 pounds lighter.Trust me bro If we both had the same red on black Nicolai's NO ONE would say anything.I'd see to it.CF.
    LOL....thanks Fred! Dude, I would love to be rockin a Nicolai and it may be a reality one day.....just have to wait for some just to settle is all.

Trophy Husband
    .....just have to wait for some just to settle is all.
    Wife has got you by the balls too, huh?

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by boone

Now me buddy, I would near eat the peanuts from her sh!t as I am sure you would too, some of us are just more honest....

In fact, could almost say you would use her sh!t for toothpaste..................

Not bad really, cant go camo twice, but C Fred will be more keen that a giant huge keen thing....

mtbr member
    I've never seen a Nicolai... what is the big deal??? CF likes it.... but in what way is it better the my guapo? is it lighter? better looking welds? cheeper? more exclusive? nice people?

I see some nice adjustiblity, looks like you can move the front shock mount to lower or raise the BB.

what does one cost? how much does it weigh?

Jan 2004
    Wife has got you by the balls too, huh?
    actually, wife is whey kewl.....my company announced layoffs of thousands of people a few weeks ago so that is actually what I meant.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I've never seen a Nicolai... what is the big deal??? CF likes it.... but in what way is it better the my guapo? is it lighter? better looking welds? cheeper? more exclusive? nice people?

I see some nice adjustiblity, looks like you can move the front shock mount to lower or raise the BB.

what is the big deal??? - Super innovative company, really dialed build quality and geometry

in what way is it better the my guapo? - I'd say it's different, hard to define better, esp when you factor in cost. You have a nice bike. Specifically between the Guapo and the Helius-FR, two different geometry approaches. For instance, the Guapo has longer chainstays and shorter top tube than the Helius-FR though they have similar wheelbases.

is it lighter? - 8.58 lbs claimed weight for a Helius-FR. Nicolai is usually very accurate with their advertised weights.

better looking welds? - They are beautiful and I understand it is an extremely big deal to be a welder at Nicolai. Better, not sure, but they are good.

more exclusive? - Yep

nice people? - Certainly

I should add that I have always thought highly of Titus and think they make some sweet frames. Our shop has done some business with them, have a few buds that have been on ML's. Good stuff for sure.

Err
    Calm like a bomb

Geometry looks good.

Anyone have a ride report?

"Its All Good"
    actually, wife is whey kewl.....my company announced layoffs of thousands of people a few weeks ago so that is actually what I meant.
    Sorry to hear that news bor, that sucks the big one... Hoping it doesnt effect too many families etc...

"Its All Good"

Hard one to answer. For me it is not who is better at all, they are different..... Some like Merc's over BMW's, which is better...........

Nor is it a big deal, guess some people are passionate about htem, like some are about Titus, some Ellsworth, some Huffy's...

I would be bold enough to say that yes the welds on a Nicolai are better than the welds on a Titus Ali frame, would not say at all better than on a Titus Ti frame though..

For me, am not heading down the road of a Helius FR because I have issues with Titus not at all... Just am liking this the more I research it..... I researched the El G well too... I am a little bewildered that we cannot get a firm date as to when the Ti El G will come to fruition as a commercial model... Time will tell, but a man needs to get organised.....

No, compared to other frames, price wise, they are more money $ wise....No denying that..

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Err, boone, Whafe: Can you confirm that the 08 FR is using a longer stroke shock and thus having a lower leverage? It looks like they just moved the pivot locations down the top tube but possibly kept the same size shock. Please let me know when you get one in at BS, I'd like to take a closer look.

Demo-S "I've never seen a Nicolai... what is the big deal??? CF likes it.... but in what way is it better the my guapo?"
    Attention to detail.
    Everything about a Nicolai is scrutinized with amazing detail to satisfy the OCD in all of us. I will not knock Titus but as their company has evolved with the production of their aluminum fames taken out of their facility and increased dramatically; the little details that made them special are no longer there. The quality of welding, mitering, qc, and assembly just are not where it was when I was introduced to the their frames, let alone progressing. Welds on a Nicolai frame are not only super strong but are more artistic than any other aluminum builder that I have seen. Further their production is small enough that making custom alterations is very easy and affordable plus who else is pushing new technologies like internal transmissions, belt drives, etc? With the cost of frames being very comparable, depending on how bad the $$ is doing, I feel that the Nicolai is the better deal. If my riding were progressing towards XC racing I would look more at an Exogrid 29er...

a tight kick sound
    Now me buddy, I would near eat the peanuts from her sh!t as I am sure you would too, some of us are just more honest....

In fact, could almost say you would use her sh!t for toothpaste..................

Not bad really, cant go camo twice, but C Fred will be more keen that a giant huge keen thing....
    Holy chit man...That is coffee all over the key board...and most likely true

Jan 2004
    Sorry to hear that news bor, that sucks the big one... Hoping it doesnt effect too many families etc...
    thanks....but hey, it is not cancer so i refuse to be the average whiny little American that complains that things are just so rough for them

Living Ghetto Fabulous!

Nicolais in Dirt...

Kind of a random post, but all the people who matter are following this thread anyway:
    I just got my new issue of Dirt in the mail and the industry bike column caught my eye... It is about European MTB Pr Coordinator for Sram and his 2 Nicolais. He recently did Mega Avalanche on a nice 2007 Helius FR and his Dh bike is also featured, a custom geo. UFO ST. (The UFO has a weird custom mod by the owner to the shock mount... If you get the mag, you'll know what I mean. )
    Both his bikes are obviously decked out with top of the line SRAM components and they look great. Just wanted to chime in. RIIING

a tight kick sound
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Kind of a random post, but all the people who matter are following this thread anyway:
    I just got my new issue of Dirt in the mail and the industry bike column caught my eye... It is about European MTB Pr Coordinator for Sram and his 2 Nicolais. He recently did Mega Avalanche on a nice 2007 Helius FR and his Dh bike is also featured, a custom geo. UFO ST. (The UFO has a weird custom mod by the owner to the shock mount... If you get the mag, you'll know what I mean. )
    Both his bikes are obviously decked out with top of the line SRAM components and they look great. Just wanted to chime in. RIIING

Oohh I got to get that!
    Custom UFO links huh? What you talkin bout willis? Does the UFO have custom geo or custom links. Sh1t Ill just go get it

Thanks dude!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Oohh I got to get that!
    Custom UFO links huh? What you talkin bout willis? Does the UFO have custom geo or custom links. Sh1t Ill just go get it

Thanks dude!
    The UFO has the seat tube of an X-tra small with the TT of a large. The shock mount on the downtube (that bolts on in all the different settings) wouldn't go down low enough for him to get the bottom bracket height that he wanted, so he made a couple extentions to get it farther down... Kinda hard to describe,[edit] see pic below... Kind of insulting to the frame in my opinion, Dirt describes it as "bodged." The owner, Elmar Keineke, said he should've called Karl to make him some new mounts, but implied that he was too busy to do it. Tell you what, if I go UFO-ST, I'll order the geo he did as it looks SICK!!!
    Last edited by Uncle Cliffy; 09-11-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Lay off the Levers
    I'm def digging my chubbie!

After taking it to the lift park, I like it even more now than I did when I first got it!

Well worth looking into for your Nicolai
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

a tight kick sound
    Cool.
    Wonder if there will be any chance of getting those plates made up for other folks
    TT of large and seat tube of small? Dang that is weird? I bet it jumps like a scared
    mouse though. My seat tube is already great and it is 16.5" TT could be a little longer though...

Very interesting.

Dude you should get one!!! Then we can start yet another thread like this. Or maybe we can start one anyway yeah..

Big Test Icycles
    Frame looks great. I admit I dont know much about the company but the frame resembles the Transition Bottlerocket in it's geometry. The BR is quite a versitile frame, the Nicolai looks like it is in the same FR arena. Looking forward to ride reports between the two.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Good stuff Uncle Cliffy, will have to get that mag.

Are there any complete photos of the frame from the side? I've been thinking of riding a UFO-ST next season and had been planing for the same custom tweak. Short seat tube, long top tube. I have short legs but like the top tube space for x-ups.

But, I'm kinda wondering if I might get away with a Helius-FR and save a pound. I know I don't need more travel. Might see if Karl will build a FR with a shorter seat tube and shorter chainstays for me. 16.7-16.8 stays would be about perfect. I'm on 16.4 right now and really don't want to give up the easy manuals.

Other thought is another Helius-ST since I can build one to 36lbs anyway and just have the extra strength.

Ok, way off topic from Whafe's build here but just thinking out loud.

a tight kick sound
    Good stuff Uncle Cliffy, will have to get that mag.

Are there any complete photos of the frame from the side. I've been thinking of riding a UFO-ST next season and had been planing for the same custom tweak. Short seat tube, long top tube. I have short legs but like the top tube space for x-ups.

Err my man, you must come ride mines then I agree very much with this stretch the TT out a little on the UFO ST. And if you have short legs and like to jump then the shorter seat tube will be super for you.

I'm gonna get that article and see about this new plate thing. The ufo st would be pretty much a dream bike with .5 more inches of bb. I know several people that have been turned
    away by the slightly lower bb. Maybe we can contact this guy and karl to see if it could be a reality.

Jesus while we are at it maybe someone will come up with replaceable dropouts for this thing that are....adjustable in length

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac1911
    Frame looks great. I admit I dont know much about the company but the frame resembles the Transition Bottlerocket in it's geometry. The BR is quite a versitile frame, the Nicolai looks like it is in the same FR arena. Looking forward to ride reports between the two.
    At first glance it's similar but you'll eventually note the longer chainstays, and longer seat tube. It's a little bit more enduro/trail oriented than a pure jump bike. The seat tube is an easy custom tweak and I'm wondering out loud about the possibility of running shorter stays.

"Its All Good"
    mmmmmm Loving it, as long as we are speaking about Nicolai's, there is no derailing.. Its all good.....

I do wonder if I should be dropping that seat tube an inch..........................

Will have to score myself a copy of dirt!

Hope everyone reading this has voted in support for a Nicolai Forum!!!!!!!!!

Trophy Husband
    I know I don't need more travel. Might see if Karl will build a FR with a shorter seat tube and shorter chainstays for me. 16.7-16.8 stays would be about perfect. I'm on 16.4 right now and really don't want to give up the easy manuals.
    I don't know how much travel the Helius has, but you start having issues with tire/seat tube contact as chainstays shorten and travel increases...unless you do something unconventional with the seat tube...ala interrupt or awkward bends.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Interesting but the actually changed the Helius-ST geo this year to bring the BB up a bit. I grew quite accustomed to it and really enjoyed the cornering but there's no question that a 13.75" BB on an 8" bike is a handful in the rock gardens. It should be noted that when running an 888 the BB was above 14" as typically expected and the HT slacked to 67 deg. For '08 the Helius ST is a bit more dialed around a 170mm fork. Should yield a 66 deg HT and around a 14.25" BB.

The UFO-ST though, I think they always meant for it to be low due to the primary design being slope style and it's secondary usage of DH Race. I don't think they every had ultimate gnar huckster in mind when they built it so they left the BB low for killer cornering.

Whafe - Seat tube. I don't recall your inseam. I have a really short inseam so I fight with with seat tube length. 15-16" is about perfect for me in most situations. I can still get full leg extension on the climbs with a 350mm seat post. My only real complaint on my Helius-ST was the 18.7" seat tube.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I don't know how much travel the Helius has, but you start having issues with tire/seat tube contact as chainstays shorten and travel increases...unless you do something unconventional with the seat tube...ala interrupt or awkward bends.
    You are exactly correct, and is my concern. Nicolai does place the base of the seat tube forward of the BB to keep it from being interrupted. It's a very cool solution and one that they've been implementing for a while. However, I'm not sure how much more can be shaved off the stays. The Bottlerocket gets by with an uninterrupted seat tube with 16.8" chainstays and 5.5" of travel, the UFO-DS gets by with 16.4" of chainstays but only 4.5" of travel. I'm honestly not sure how close the rear wheel is on the FR at full compression. But, the UFO-ST has over 7" of travel and 16.8" chainstays with a seat tube/front triangle configuration that is not that far off of the Helius-FR, so it seems possible.

Leash Law Enforcer
    All this talk . . . You guys are getting me all hot and bothered. Does anyone have any actions shots of the Helius FR?

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    So I looked at the picture of the new, 2008 Helius FR...
    Nobody has mentioned the dropouts which seem a bit different from the 07, the non-drive side one at least.

Frankly speaking, I don't find the '08 any more attractive than the '07, from the aesthetical point of view at least. I'm sure the tweaks that have been done to it are for the better, but in my opinion, the old headtube gusset looked much cooler, and the rocker was nicer, too.

The shorter seat stays are a plus, more stiffness as it was pointed out, but who ever said that the '07 wasn't stiff enough? So no big deal to me.

I would like to know about the leverage ratio, is it really lower in '08? The specs in the '08 catalog don't mention the shock stroke.
    In fact I'm planning on putting a longer shock on my '07 so that the ratio is 2:1 in ~140 mm mode and 2.3:1 in ~160 mm mode.

Too bad they don't seem to have fixed the standover issue. May not seem an issue to others but I think the top tube is too high for a given size on non-tailored frames. I had to resort to custom geo to fix that, and I'm of pretty ordinary proportions myself.

To sum it up, I think that the '07 looked better, but I'm sure the '08 will be no less a kick-a$s bike than the '07. If the '07 hadn't existed and if I was looking for an AM-light freeride rig, the '08 Helius FR would be on top of my list.

BUT having owned the '07 for 2 months already and knowing that the '08 looks not as nice as the '07 AND will be priced higher - I'm glad I had ordered the '07.

On a side note, it's sad not seeing a Nucleon AMX in the 2008 catalog. I was hoping Nicolai would finally design a lighter all mountain internal gearbox frame.

Another thing that seems strange to me is the huge gap between the UFO DS and UFO ST. I think there's a place for a 150-165 mm frame, something like Helius FR but single pivot, with all the adjustments (angles, travel). Simple and reliable, suited for trail riding, all mountain and light FR use. I would seriously think of ordering one just for the heck of it.

a tight kick sound
    Err, I found I can set my UFO st in the lowest travel position with the 8.75x2.5 shock and get roughly around 6.5" of rear travel (shorter stroke). With the fork down around 160 this bike is the funnest thing I have ever ridden on smooth trails. BB ~13.45 HA around 67
    On the FR, the tire on my 05 frame came pretty damn close to the seat tube on full compression. When I moved the shock mounts forward one slot to slack it out a bit and lower it I had to reduce the travel to 4.5 or 5 so that the tire would not buzz the seat tube.
    I have seen a few different versions of helius around: one was a 4x mix of FR front and cc rear with a super low standover and short seat tube. Not sure what the CS size was? Am sure you know way more about all these types of possibilities than I do though Just thought I would throw it out there.

Whafe, you know how I feel about the standover and seat tube length on the FR

Smith, I seem to remember that Nicolai usually puts shock stroke and eye-eye in their specs? Somewhere down around the bottom? Is it not there anymore...sorry I can't find the 08 cat to take a peek?
    As for in between... you can actually have something like this now. I can bring the travel on the UFO ST down to 6.5 and I had the weight to around 36 without working hard at all. With a little care and money I am sure it could be down there.
    The other problem though you are right is, the geo of the ST is just not super friendly towards trail riding. It can be done but steep climbs are a real bastard on this bike with the standard medium geo!! I too would love to see something in between the ds and st. Was thinking the XC/AM single pivot frame (nonius) Nicolai makes could come close with a few geo tweeks (ok maybe a lot of tweeks) Anyway, this guy: Use a slightly bigger set of main pivot bearings, add a set of plates to the side like the ST for geo adjust, beef up the headtube-tt-dt junction, lower the standover and gain a tt-seat tube brace, maybe stiffen er up with a 12 mm thru maxle? 4.75-6.5" of rear travel? HA around 67 and bb around 13.5 with a 145mm fork or so? Short seat tube and longer TT!
    Last edited by boone; 09-12-2007 at 01:17 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Hey Smith,,,,,

Well said,I agree with quite a few of your points.Mostly the solid rockers,I think the was of the past are much better.It looks if there is to be a weight gain for sure.Maybe only a small amount but these bikes need to be coming down alittle every year not going up.I can understand the solid rockers on the ST for sure.(another bike I'd love to have BTW)Anyway Smith any chance we can see a picture of your bike?Peace CF...

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Anyway Smith any chance we can see a picture of your bike?Peace CF...
    No problem Fred, I posted my rig when I had built it up:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...12#post3379512

Since then I had to swap the Lyrik for the Pike (temporarily, while my Liryk is being repaired), the tyres are now Nobby Nic 2.4 front / Racing Ralph 2.4 rear, the bottom bracket is Shimano Hone since I killed the Race Face one.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Right on brother...

Quote Originally Posted by Smith
    No problem Fred, I posted my rig when I had built it up:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...12#post3379512

Since then I had to swap the Lyrik for the Pike (temporarily, while my Liryk is being repaired), the tyres are now Nobby Nic 2.4 front / Racing Ralph 2.4 rear, the bottom bracket is Shimano Hone since I killed the Race Face one.
    OOOOHHHH that's your bike,I remember that bike sweet ride my friend.That's a RS Lyric on there? I'll tell ya I almost got that fork for my FR wow is it ever nice,but not knowing to much about them I figured there is NO WAYI can go wrong with a 08 Fox Float.AND BOY WAS I RIGHT.Thanks Smith great bike. CF........

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    OOOOHHHH that's your bike,I remember that bike sweet ride my friend.That's a RS Lyric on there? I'll tell ya I almost got that fork for my FR wow is it ever nice,but not knowing to much about them I figured there is NO WAYI can go wrong with a 08 Fox Float.AND BOY WAS I RIGHT.Thanks Smith great bike. CF........
    Thank you Fred, your FR is cool too, and much more bling than mine
    As for the Lyrik, I'm kind of dissapointed with it because after a month of mostly XC riding and two weeks in the Alps (not hitting any big stuff though) it developed a significant amount of play between stanchions and lowers so I had to bring it to the shop. They've been busy with it for a week already and still no results.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    So I looked at the picture of the new, 2008 Helius FR...
    Nobody has mentioned the dropouts which seem a bit different from the 07, the non-drive side one at least.

Frankly speaking, I don't find the '08 any more attractive than the '07, from the aesthetical point of view at least. I'm sure the tweaks that have been done to it are for the better, but in my opinion, the old headtube gusset looked much cooler, and the rocker was nicer, too.
    Looks like a new rear drop out design to accompany the new seat stays. Plus they moved the front derailleur routing to the down tube. I hope this was just done on the ROCOMP models and not on all FR's. I'm with you, and think the old headtube gusset looked much better.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CAO
    Plus they moved the front derailleur routing to the down tube. I hope this was just done on the ROCOMP models and not on all FR's.
    They actually moved it in 2007. I don't know if it was done to all frames. Mine is ROCOMP and it has the routing that way. I saw a photo of a '07 Helius FR without Rohloff cable guides, but the front derailleur cable was also routed along the down tube. Probably the routing was changed to eliminate the possibility of rear tire hitting the cable stop on the seat tube. It's another small thing I wasn't too happy about but I got used to it pretty quickly.

BTW the frame on the pictures on their site and in their '07 catalog had the top-tube cable routing but it seems the photos were taken before they moved the cable guides.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    BTW the 2008 lineup is on their site now: http://www.nicolai.net/products/e-frames.html

The shock eye-to-eye on Helius FR is still 200 mm, so the stroke is no more than 57 mm. I don't see how that translates to lower leverage ratio when they actually upped the travel by 4 mm.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    BTW the frame on the pictures on their site and in their '07 catalog had the top-tube cable routing but it seems the photos were taken before they moved the cable guides.
    Thanks for the heads up on that, I will have them move the cable routing when I get ready to order. It's a simple thing but I can not stand the loop under a bottom bracket and the cable getting all jammed with muck.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    BTW I see only two travel mode holes on the rocker of the new FR... it hasn't been mentioned yet. Here's a link to a really big picture of the new frame: https://www.nicolai.net/imgs/prod/xxl/08-hel-fr.jpg

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Smith - you would be correct. More travel and same stroke = higher leverage ratio.
    I see the same on the travel adjust. Looks like 4.5 and 6.6" are the new options.

a tight kick sound
    looks like it says all rear shock options are 8.75eye to eye for the FR? can that be right? Maybe they moved the mounts back to get a bigger shock with a longer stroke in there? I don't quite get it. The CC says it uses a 7.875 eye to eye. Unless they made a mistake in making the chart I think that is right?

Real question still remains...what is the stroke? I'm gonna do some measuring with the lab software...hang tight...
    Last edited by boone; 09-12-2007 at 02:44 PM.

a tight kick sound
    oohhh, zoom in on the second FR pic and it says the spring is 500X2.35.
    There ya go! 2.25 most likely.

I measured the frame in my software program and it looks like the white one on the nicolai page is a large. I am pretty dang sure that the eye to eye is not 8.75. I would bet it is 7.875 and the stroke is 2.25. The spring says it and now this ind. measurement says it.
    They must have messed up on the geo chart...or I am an idiot Both pretty good possibilities!

"Its All Good"
    Looks good in white, but my combo is going to be the ducks nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Roll on bonus......................Not long now

a tight kick sound
    soooooooo...does this mean you are getting it? eh eh..out with it man!

But on this build, am going to be a prat and dont want the red. I have not as yet seen them with black centers, not syaing they are not out there.........
    here you go

https://www.bike-mailorder.de/shop/M...008::9686.html

"Its All Good"
    Thats a bit of me, perfect. Thanks for sussing that out Cris, much appreciated

Thats a bit of me, perfect. Thanks for sussing that out Cris, much appreciated
    No problem.... glad to help a fellow bike-addict

Leash Law Enforcer
    I was curious about some of the numbers being discussed here so I emailed Nicolai and got the following information:

shock i to i: 7.875
    shock stroke: 50mm (air), 56mm (coil)
    rear travel: 160mm
    leverage ratio: 3.2 (air shock), 2.85 (coil)

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    I was curious about some of the numbers being discussed here so I emailed Nicolai and got the following information:

That's pretty damn high leverage ratio for an air shock methinks.
    On 2007 they used to offer RS Pearl (IIRC) as an option with 66 mm stroke, not 50 mm.
    Also, 160 mm of rear travel is not quite the same as 167 mm.
    Something's just not right here.

Err
    Calm like a bomb

FYI DHX-A is available in 7.875 with 56 mm stroke.

I need to touch base with Nicolai because they have also published the possibility of both an 7.875 and an 8.75.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    because they have also published the possibility of both an 7.875 and an 8.75.
    I'm sure it can be done on '08 too because the front shock mount is still adjustable.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Ok, I found out that the 223 mm (8.75") stroke shock is a typo, 7.875 is the correct length. As Smith pointed out, the adjustment in the shuttle makes it possible, however not necessarily supported, to alter the eye-2-eye.

I'm finding out right now the feasibility of a slope-style tweak to the geo with 16.6-16.8" chainstays and 15-16" seat tube with a 23" top tube. Will keep ya'll posted.

Finally, not be SPAM'n but there are a few '07 frames around on closeout. A Helius-ST, Helius-FR, a couple of UFO-ST's, a TFR G-BOXX, and an Argon CC. Hit me up if you want a killer deal on one of these frames. I wouldn't even bring this up, but it's pretty rare to have frames around that I can discount and deliver quickly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Nicolai Mafia Thread

Helius FR looks sensational i really dig Fred's also looks like the FR's got some meat to it so it won't fatigue crack overly thin tubes in a few years

i did not read all this thread fully, so excuse my ignorance.... can you put a 8.5 x 2.5 shock on it with the extra mounts (without BB too high) ?~?

a tight kick sound
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Helius FR looks sensational i really dig Fred's also looks like the FR's got some meat to it so it won't fatigue crack overly thin tubes in a few years

i did not read all this thread fully, so excuse my ignorance.... can you put a 8.5 x 2.5 shock on it with the extra mounts (without BB too high) ?~?
    That might be possible...you thinkin lower lev ratio?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That might be possible...you thinkin lower lev ratio?
    yeah.... I'm 220 + beer

... and an 08 Roco TST Air would be nice, i'm stoked with my 07 Roco Air and it replaced a DHX C which replaced RP23

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    While it is likely you could fit the shock, it would probably cause the rear tire to rub on the seat tube at full compression.

Run a CCDB and you should be able to control the motion no problem at the stock leverage ratio.

"Its All Good"
    Booner.... I am ready to pull the trigger for sure, not doing it till I get my bonus, should know real soon, then Err will get the call up and the harrassment will start....LOL....

yeah ha..............Its all good, well in fact all focken good............

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    ...I'm finding out right now the feasibility of a slope-style tweak to the geo with 16.6-16.8" chainstays and 15-16" seat tube with a 23" top tube. Will keep ya'll posted...
    Yep, it´s possible for Nicolai to do that on Customer-Order! I had a nice eMail-correspondence with Kalle himself last week, because I also want closely the same frame-measurements like you - no problem, same with 1.5 Headtube
    Keep in mind that shorter Chainstays will reduce the rear-travel, the usual Chainstaylength is about 16,8 to max. 17"!
    Cost will be 2200-2500 Euros depending on the shock. Unfortunately Nicolai raised up the pricing for the Helius-08 Models, means 250 Euros more to pay

Greetings from Köllefornia, Germany

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle
    Yep, it´s possible for Nicolai to do that on Customer-Order! I had a nice eMail-correspondence with Kalle himself last week, because I also want closely the same frame-measurements like you - no problem, same with 1.5 Headtube
    Keep in mind that shorter Chainstays will reduce the rear-travel, the usual Chainstaylength is about 16,8 to max. 17"!
    Cost will be 2200-2500 Euros depending on the shock. Unfortunately Nicolai raised up the pricing for the Helius-08 Models, means 250 Euros more to pay

NoStyle - Thanks for the reply and insight. I have an email in right now, awaiting response. Could you share the exact geometry you discussed? What was the resulting travel?

"Its All Good"
    NoStyle.... Please check out this link and vote to support a Nicolai dedicated Forum in MTBR............

Sorry to thread jack............

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=nicolai+forum

I don't think Nicloai's are complicated enough to be taken seriously by any "real" MTB'er.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    NoStyle - Thanks for the reply and insight. I have an email in right now, awaiting response. Could you share the exact geometry you discussed? What was the resulting travel?
    Hi Err, yes, I think everything can be changed, if you want that, for extra cash!
    The only thing I would mostly like is a short Seattube (15") to bring down the toptube for lot of Standoverhight, 1.5 Headtube with 67° angle, maybe 66,5° (Headangle is actually 67,5°) to have a bit longer Wheelbase. Seatangle remains the same (72,9°). I´m not sure if I want it a bit steeper. Chainstaylength remains the same 432 mm (16,9") and Toptubelength would be unchanged at 585 mm (23"). Resulting travel would be 167 mm (ca. 6,6") with 200 mm Shocklength eye to eye and 57 mm stroke. Bottombrackethight would be ca. 367 mm with RockShock Lyric/Domain or Marzocchi 55. Simply a modified medium frame with lower seattube and slacker Headtube - BottleRocket-Style with 1" more Comfort and Horstlink in the rear !
    I told Kalle Nicolai that I like to have a "slopestylish Singletrail- and Bikeparkblaster"
    Kalle, on one respond, gave me the advice not to slacken the headangles to keep the livelyness of the Helius, because in his opinion the geometry is perfect for trail-, parkriding and Dirtjump. Maybe he is wright, so I would slacken Headtube only to 67°. Waiting for respond according to Shocklength, because maybe it would be better with 215 mm SL and 63 mm Stroke for lower leverage ratio, but I don´t know yet if that will affect Geometry or the Linkage?!?
    I have to keep in mind what and where I mostly ride. As a result I don´t want things changed too radical!

I will stay tuned and yes, will vote !

Greetings from Cologne, Germany

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    The only thing I would mostly like is a short Seattube (15") to bring down the toptube for lot of Standoverhight, 1.5 Headtube with 67° angle, maybe 66,5° (Headangle is actually 67,5°) to have a bit longer Wheelbase. Seatangle remains the same (72,9°). I´m not sure if I want it a bit steeper. Chainstaylength remains the same 432 mm (16,9") and Toptubelength would be unchanged at 585 mm (23"). Resulting travel would be 167 mm (ca. 6,6") with 200 mm Shocklength eye to eye and 57 mm stroke. Bottombrackethight would be ca. 367 mm with RockShock Lyric/Domain or Marzocchi 55. Simply a modified medium frame with lower seattube and slacker Headtube - BottleRocket-Style with 1" more Comfort and Horstlink in the rear !
    Yes, yes, yes!!!!! I'll take one with 16 inch seat tube and 24 inch eff. top tube! (I'm 6-2 so the same, but large.)

"El Whatever"
    Booner.... I am ready to pull the trigger for sure, not doing it till I get my bonus, should know real soon, then Err will get the call up and the harrassment will start....LOL....

yeah ha..............Its all good, well in fact all focken good............
    Bro... On the Kawa green... that's not to go very well with your I9's you know...

Other than that, solid build and advice you're getting from Err couldn't be better.

Another vote for the Louises here. The new 2008 is everything you ever wanted from a brake.

I use the SL version of rotors, they shed a few grams off the bike, performace is there but at the limit the venti should be better just based on mass alone.
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Bro... On the Kawa green... that's not to go very well with your I9's you know...

Other than that, solid build and advice you're getting from Err couldn't be better.

Another vote for the Louises here. The new 2008 is everything you ever wanted from a brake.

I use the SL version of rotors, they shed a few grams off the bike, performace is there but at the limit the venti should be better just based on mass alone.
    Yep, there would be a clash with the I9's for sure.......

Go the Magura's.......... Love them puppies....................... Reading some good stuff on the Codes though..............

Yep, Err is a Dr of MTB Bikes..............

"El Whatever"
    Go the Magura's.......... Love them puppies....................... Reading some good stuff on the Codes though..............
    I hate to agree with Demo Slug, but if you're not going Magura, look at Formula instead.
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    I hate to agree with Demo Slug, but if you're not going Magura, look at Formula instead.
    Good point, yep the Formula are getting rave reviews.... I love the Maguras, all my bikes have them, makes it easy for repairs and maint.....

ginger ninja
    Having fun on a CODE/Juicy carbon setup at the moment but sintered pads are hard to find! Did like the louise carbon i brought.... till i realised i had ordered a rh rear instead of lh.

If you are looking for KILLER brakes try the Hope Moto V2s if you can find them. You may need to adjust the compression damping in your forks to deal with the dive.

Got them on my dh rig! Serious, motorbike sort of power! And easy bleeding with one spanner and some paper rag.
    Gert Steamin DH Badger

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by sworksrob
    And easy bleeding with one spanner and some paper rag.
    That's not an advantage to the 2008 Maguras anymore. The lever has been redesigned and bleeding now does not require to open the reservoir.
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Those Moto V2's are the shizzle, dam heavy I bet............Too much stopping power....

Have not seen many builds with them...... I am protestign all English made stuff at the moment, when they loose the WC and admit that they suck for not winning a decent game since winning the WC I may start to look at there gear....

Give me Magura anyday, never let me down..............

ginger ninja
    That's not an advantage to the 2008 Maguras anymore. The lever has been redesigned and bleeding now does not require to open the reservoir.
    Aye Agreed but you still need syringes not? Hopes you just get on the program!!!

Squeeze Open Close Release Squeeze Open Close Release Squeeze Open Close Release sure you get the idea

But granted they are boat anchors! Hold on for grim death then throw one overboard. Modulation is also superb but dont grab a handful.
    Gert Steamin DH Badger

Members who have read this thread: 0