LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015

Becoming a Level 3 NICA coach?

How do you go about becoming a NICA coach and working your way up to level 3? Michigan doesnt have NICA but im in Arizona and Coloardo the next few months and was trying to see if I can get something going so when Michigan gets NICA i can jump right in. If NICA was around when i was that age my life would have taken a completely different path.

mtbr member
    Just go to their website and jump through the appropriate hoops, I'm level 1 and it involves a background check and passing a few easy tests. Level 3 requires several other things like CPR training and more tests, everything is listed on their site.

I think I remember having to say what team I represented but I'm not sure.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I am a Level 3 NICA Coach in Michigan and managed a NICA Indie Club here last year. There are several requirements for NICA Level 3 that can be found here: Coach License Program - NICA

Michigan has a program managed through MiSCA who looked at becoming affiliated with NICA last year but chose to go a different direction and stay independent. They are newly introducing coach certification and MiSCA's similar requirements can be found here:
    http://miscabike.org/coach/#cert

Nov 2015
    The thing is i dont have a club yet. I was thinking you can just become a coach and then find a club or start one later.

Fat tire what part of Michigan? Are you talkimg about Norte or 906? I know about Steve Kinley and ehat he is doing around Detroit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    There are a couple things required to become a Level 3 that you can't do on line; NICA On-the-Bike Skills Training and NICA Leader Summit 1 Day. Both of these can be accomplished at a Coaches/Leader Summit. Colorado's is coming up later this month. You also need Continuing Education Units (CEU) which can be obtained on line or at the Coaches Summit. More info on Colorado's coaches summit here, COACH SUMMIT | Colorado MTB League. You could also contact CO League Director, Kate Rau. Her email can be found several places on the website. She's helpful but very busy. Good luck! Becoming a NICA coach has been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    The thing is i dont have a club yet. I was thinking you can just become a coach and then find a club or start one later.

Fat tire what part of Michigan? Are you talkimg about Norte or 906? I know about Steve Kinley and ehat he is doing around Detroit.
    Brighton Area. Sweet trails around here.

There's no NICA presence below the bridge. UP'rs have aligned with NICA Wisconsin.

Sean Warren is the guy to talk to at MiSCA. Steve isn't running the program anymore. There are some coaching needs in the Detroit metro area and he might provide some guidance. Contact him through the MiSCA website. miscabike.org

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-Tire View Post
    Brighton Area. Sweet trails around here.

There's no NICA presence below the bridge. UP'rs have aligned with NICA Wisconsin.

Sean Warren is the guy to talk to at MiSCA. Steve isn't running the program anymore. There are some coaching needs in the Detroit metro area and he might provide some guidance. Contact him through the MiSCA website. miscabike.org
    Thanks. Torn shirt is my favorite trail in the area. Brec is my go to. Good to see Nica making its way into that area. The Brighton HS team has some incredible junior riders. When i get back ill get in touch with you too. Will be in touch with Sean also.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBanning View Post
    There are a couple things required to become a Level 3 that you can't do on line; NICA On-the-Bike Skills Training and NICA Leader Summit 1 Day. Both of these can be accomplished at a Coaches/Leader Summit. Colorado's is coming up later this month. You also need Continuing Education Units (CEU) which can be obtained on line or at the Coaches Summit. More info on Colorado's coaches summit here, COACH SUMMIT | Colorado MTB League. You could also contact CO League Director, Kate Rau. Her email can be found several places on the website. She's helpful but very busy. Good luck! Becoming a NICA coach has been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.
    Thank you! Ill be in that area next month and will look into getting as far into tye process as i can. Even being a level 1 so i can go to practices would be a fine start with me. I am red cross cpr certified i actually have my emt basic.