Waverly Glen Trail Damage by ATV's-Anyone else want to do something about it?- Mtbr.com
    Old Fart

Waverly Glen Trail Damage by ATV's-Anyone else want to do something about it?

I've been out a number of times this year and have been really disappointed by how many of the trails are really being "torn up" by the ATV's so far this year. I have been thinking about going out and getting some photos to document the damage and approaching the Village with 2 proposals. 1. For them to help keep the ATV's out by enforcing the existing laws/rules possibly with the support (eyes,ears and cell phones of bikers). 2. Doing some work days to repair and improve the existing trails. Anyone else want to join in?
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

Freeriding Feline

New question here. Where???

Where is that trail? I'm not familiar.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

Old Fart

Where in the @#%* is Waverly???

We are in Upstate N.Y. about an hour West of Binghamton. All the trails used to be nice tight single track. Now a lot of it is double track. The latest damage is the worst of it as the ATV's seem to be going off trail and tearing things up just for the "fun" it. The trail system runs around the local drinking water resevoir so in the future the erosion my become more of a problem as well.

Apr 2006
    ATVs are becoming more and more of an issue all over the state. They dont seem to realize that they are sealing their own fate. In my neighborhood the local police are confiscating and impounding ATVs when they are caught trespassing. Our local mountain bike organization has been active in working with the state and landowners by blocking access to singletrack, reporting ATVs and organizing against them. Keep fighting and inform the police and local govt about your concerns. The fight for single track is an ongoing one, check out other threads concerning ATVs in this forum. Good Luck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubapiper
    We are in Upstate N.Y. about an hour West of Binghamton. All the trails used to be nice tight single track. Now a lot of it is double track. The latest damage is the worst of it as the ATV's seem to be going off trail and tearing things up just for the "fun" it. The trail system runs around the local drinking water resevoir so in the future the erosion my become more of a problem as well.

what is condition of these trails today,i am from elmira and new to mtnbiking.
    Seems only info i can find is from old posts,i hope the local law enforcement cracked down on the 4 wheelers.

Old Fart

Waverly Glen

The trails are fine, I still ride there all the time. Once things dry out I'd be happy to show you around.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the offer, looking forward to it.
    But the way things are going with the weather we may not see dry trails till july

mtbr member
    I've been building barricades at Shindagin for a few years now. It's extremely effective. When you clear trails this spring, just cut a notch out of the fallen logs wide enough for bikes (and horses if you've got them there) but not wide enough for ATV's. You can also fell dead trees across the trail. Either cut a notch or build narrow log piles.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubapiper

mtbr member
    Oh, and I forgot to mention one other technique. Gather up dead wood and place it strategically off the trail, blocking potential ATV shortcuts around your barricades. Use the dead wood to build a long stick "fence" at least 2 feet high (so it can be seen and doesn't create a hazard). Then nail the ends of the dead wood together so that it becomes one big long fence. Once you're got barricades in place, maintain them and fix them IMMEDIATELY if they are breached.

Members who have read this thread: 0