Trail suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Trail suggestions

Driving up to Vermont from NC on I-87, and looking for good places to ride and camp. Preference is fast and flowy, but I'll take anything that's not highly technical.
    Scenic with nearby swimming would be ideal.

a once and future expert
    Well, South to North with proximity to 87: it's like this:
    Blue Mt. (Peekskill) but no camping
    Stewart Buffer Lands (Newburgh/Montgomery) camping?? Not that I am aware of.
    Jockey Hill/Onteora Lake (Kingston) - camping @ Onteora, but not Jockey. Jockey is smoother rolling but both places are pretty darn rocky.
    Assuming your driving to Rutland and points north, Malta (exit 12) Saratoga MBA (Exit 15) (SMBA) and Moreau St. Pk./Spier Falls (Exit 17) are on the way - Moreau has camping, SMBA does not.
    From there on...??? Not really sure.

All of these spots are well ridden and club maintained. I wish I could hit each of 'em in a week!!! Would be fun

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkler View Post
    Well, South to North with proximity to 87: it's like this:
    Blue Mt. (Peekskill) but no camping
    Stewart Buffer Lands (Newburgh/Montgomery) camping?? Not that I am aware of.
    Jockey Hill/Onteora Lake (Kingston) - camping @ Onteora, but not Jockey. Jockey is smoother rolling but both places are pretty darn rocky.
    Assuming your driving to Rutland and points north, Malta (exit 12) Saratoga MBA (Exit 15) (SMBA) and Moreau St. Pk./Spier Falls (Exit 17) are on the way - Moreau has camping, SMBA does not.
    From there on...??? Not really sure.

All of these spots are well ridden and club maintained. I wish I could hit each of 'em in a week!!! Would be fun
    Thanks. Malta/Saratoga/Moreau looks like the perfect cluster and all are close to the interstate. I'm inclined to drive there on day 1 and set up camp for a few days of singletrack. Once I get to Vermont, I'll probably be spending more time on my touring bike,
    so it's going to be a combo of mtb & touring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind View Post
    Thanks. Malta/Saratoga/Moreau looks like the perfect cluster and all are close to the interstate. I'm inclined to drive there on day 1 and set up camp for a few days of singletrack. Once I get to Vermont, I'll probably be spending more time on my touring bike,
    so it's going to be a combo of mtb & touring.
    I love the SMBA and Moreau trails, but they are very technical. Moreau is advanced with a lot of climbing. SMBA is also technical but not a lot of elevation and very fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba74 View Post
    I love the SMBA and Moreau trails, but they are very technical. Moreau is advanced with a lot of climbing.
    Hmm,not really what I'm looking for, but didn't expect it to be that easy.
    So, that leaves a little bit of riding Malta, then heading north to Wilmington
    or Vermont ?
    Last edited by 1-track-mind; 08-04-2011 at 07:41 PM.

mtbr member
    I don't know about the camping, but there is some great riding in and near Rutland. Two that come to mind are Green Mountain in Pittsfield and Pine Ridge Park. I haven't ridden there but I have heard good things. Green Mountain is very fast and flowy with some big ups and downs. You will probably get better info in the Vermont forum.