Remote ADK Camping Trip for MTB & Paddleboarding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Remote ADK Camping Trip for MTB & Paddleboarding?

I gots a rowdy 4WD and want to get lost in the ADKs for a week in late July.

Ideal spot would permit MTB and paddleboarding from a remote campsite, but happy to drive to one or the other or both if the camping is SWEET. (No hookups or bath facilities needed).

Where should I be looking to escape civilization? Does such a spot even exist?!?! :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm not sure of specific camping locations but I would certainly research the Lake Placid/Wilmington area as there is some great mountain biking and plenty of lakes/rivers for paddle boarding. I am sure someone on here will have specific information for you but I know there are some lake to lake hikes as well. Good luck and enjoy

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    You want single track riding ?, or dirt road riding ??

The Daks are not (as yet, IMO) as well developed with single tracks as a lot of other regional areas, such as North East Kingdom in Vermont. Most of what I see for single track on the TrailForks map is in the Lake Placid/Wilmington area. The paddling areas on the other hand are NW of Saranac and in the Tupper/Long Lake - Fulton chain and western lakes area.

And you have 3 choices in camping. Established campgrounds run by the DEC and/or private. Or the primitive sites found in abundance in the Moose River Plains area as example, which are roadside or car accessible all first come/first serve. Or backcountry or something requiring hiking or paddling to access the primitive sites a car cannot access.

General rule of thumb for camping on state land in a non-established or primitive campsite is to be 150 ft. from a road, stream/river or body of water. If you know of such places, its not going to be car accessible.

Best idea might be the Essex Chain south of Newcomb. There are a few roadside free primitive camping sites plus 30-40 miles of non maintained dirt road riding, along the access roads to the Goodnow Flowage area, Cedar River and Hudson, as well as a lot of lakes that would require some short portages.

Moose River Plains and the dirt road from Inlet to Indian Lake has a lot of free primitive car accessible sites, you can bike on the roads and some trails, but might have to drive west towards the Fulton Chain for paddling.

Also check out the area just west of Tupper Lake. A lot of dirt roads, no car access, in the Connifer to Horseshoe Lake Wild Forest region and north towards Rt3, some free camping on the Horsehoe Lake road west of (Sorry, that's Rt 30), paddling on Horseshoe Lake, Lows Lake, Hitchens Pond.

For all the free primitive sites, Id time arrivals for early in the week as the sites fill up quick.
    Last edited by Catmandoo; 1 Week Ago at 07:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Looking for Singletrack, for sure.

Great tips much appreciated!

Keep em coming. :-)

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    If you find your way in or close to Old Forge there are flow trails coming down from McCauley Mountain, you could ride some of the hiking trails around Bub and Sis lake and off course the snow mobile trails if the brush is low.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Great singletrack in the Saranac Lake/Lake Placid/Wilmington/Elizabethtown region- check out betatrails.org. Lots of camping to be sure, but I don't know how much of it is accessed by 4WD. What I know of is roadside or accessed by trail or by paddling. Good luck with your search!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    +1 for betatrails.org. Great resource!