Night rides any one? the pits are a great night ride- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    19

    Night rides any one? the pits are a great night ride

    hey i live in the capitol district and would like to see if anyone is intrested in some night rides they usually fit into anyones schedule b/c there at night and if youve ridden the trails about a thousand times over night riding turns those trails into brand new ones talk to me poeple

  2. #2
    Nervous Descender
    Reputation: Adirondack Blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by xterraman30
    hey i live in the capitol district and would like to see if anyone is intrested in some night rides they usually fit into anyones schedule b/c there at night and if youve ridden the trails about a thousand times over night riding turns those trails into brand new ones talk to me poeple
    Myself and a buddy of mine might be interested- our night rides have historically been limited to the winter months, but I think the pits would definitely make for a cool night ride. Spooky.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    19

    tearing up the night!!!

    I usually night ride on wed. in the Catskill's (round Top). Its a really cool every wed. night we take diffrent routes down there and its like a different adventure every night, and everyone is invited to come no matter what the biking level is everything from beg/intermed to adv.. I've been doing these rides for about 2 years now. I moved into the area again would like to start something closer to home for the weekday or weekend rides.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    26
    Allways looking for cool people to night ride with! Got a great headlamp, the pits, thatcher or the pine bush are all good possibilities-in that order. Lets see who else is into it?

    B
    "on my bike in the woods"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Goddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    263

    Pits...

    This being my first year riding in the Pits, do the damn caterpillars ever stop? It sounded like it was raining there last week so many were falling from the trees and I had to stop every 5 minutes to wipe them away from my face.

  6. #6
    Nervous Descender
    Reputation: Adirondack Blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    717

    caterpillars

    Quote Originally Posted by Goddy
    This being my first year riding in the Pits, do the damn caterpillars ever stop? It sounded like it was raining there last week so many were falling from the trees and I had to stop every 5 minutes to wipe them away from my face.
    They are really bad this year- I have never seen them this bad anywhere. We rode there last week and it was like something out of a horror movie. You can actually hear them munching on the leaves! The upper part of the canopy was pretty well eaten away, and when you looked at the sun through the trees, the webs made it look like there was a haze over the forest. They are worse on the western trails in that area- especially on the poop loop and the big hill which leads down to the sandpit/creek from the open ridge trail.

    Lock 7 trails have been virtually caterpillar-free.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Goddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    263

    Nice...

    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack Blues
    They are really bad this year- I have never seen them this bad anywhere. We rode there last week and it was like something out of a horror movie. You can actually hear them munching on the leaves! The upper part of the canopy was pretty well eaten away, and when you looked at the sun through the trees, the webs made it look like there was a haze over the forest. They are worse on the western trails in that area- especially on the poop loop and the big hill which leads down to the sandpit/creek from the open ridge trail.

    Lock 7 trails have been virtually caterpillar-free.

    I rode there last thursday and it turned my white shirt to green from smacking them off. I was hoping I'd see other people out to help knock down the stuff before I got there but no luck. I'll have to try the lock 7 trails this week if I get a chance and if the damn rain ever stops.

  8. #8
    Nervous Descender
    Reputation: Adirondack Blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddy
    I rode there last thursday and it turned my white shirt to green from smacking them off. I was hoping I'd see other people out to help knock down the stuff before I got there but no luck. I'll have to try the lock 7 trails this week if I get a chance and if the damn rain ever stops.
    Pine Bush trails at the water tower are great right now- rain packs the sand into a nice hardpack- very fast. I have been riding there every night this week. I recommend parking at the Washington Extension, riding straight through, hit the singletrack off willow street (the one that ends up by the truck axle swing), hit part of the yellow trail, hit the singletrack loop off the back of the yellow (school loop), and backtrack your route to willowstreet along the singletrack- fun singletrack and enough logs to keep you from getting too bored.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Goddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    263

    Hmmm..

    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack Blues
    Pine Bush trails at the water tower are great right now- rain packs the sand into a nice hardpack- very fast. I have been riding there every night this week. I recommend parking at the Washington Extension, riding straight through, hit the singletrack off willow street (the one that ends up by the truck axle swing), hit part of the yellow trail, hit the singletrack loop off the back of the yellow (school loop), and backtrack your route to willowstreet along the singletrack- fun singletrack and enough logs to keep you from getting too bored.

    Cool, I had all but forgotten about that place to ride. I can never seem to ride there without getting a slow leak in my tire from a thorn so I try to avoid the place. I stumbled upon a trail off of East Old State Road that loops around behind the golf course, goes forever and ends up near the thruway on the powerlines.

  10. #10
    Nervous Descender
    Reputation: Adirondack Blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddy
    Cool, I had all but forgotten about that place to ride. I can never seem to ride there without getting a slow leak in my tire from a thorn so I try to avoid the place. I stumbled upon a trail off of East Old State Road that loops around behind the golf course, goes forever and ends up near the thruway on the powerlines.
    Yep- PB is about the only dry place around right now. Rode the Nisky Lock 7 trails tonight with a buddy of mine and it was a slogfest. Greasy mud, mucho chainsuck, and standing water on the trails in some areas. I was afraid my wife would be ready to file for divorce when I walked in covered in mud.

    I know the loop by the golf course. It is probably illegal, but based on the condition of the trails not that many people venture back there. We access it from the powerline trail, bushwack to an old trail on the other side of the ravine, cross the creek, and then we're there. Also, beware that the PB has reinstated the MTB Patrol, who are on the lookout for poachers. I won't say I've never been tempted, but I usually limit my poaching to off hours and night rides to eliminate the chance of an encounter.
    Last edited by Adirondack Blues; 05-27-2004 at 07:08 PM.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

  11. #11
    Turner Homer
    Reputation: dtrek4500's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,227
    Hay guys I might wanna to do this, and how do you get to the pits from Troy, this is where I live??

  12. #12
    Nervous Descender
    Reputation: Adirondack Blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrek4500
    Hay guys I might wanna to do this, and how do you get to the pits from Troy, this is where I live??
    When one mentions the pits, they are referring to an area of land in Latham/Colonie which is within the bounday formed by I-87, Pollock Road, Forts Ferry Road, and the Mohawk river. The best access is off the bike path just east of Fort's Ferry Road.

    From Troy, you take alt. route 7 west to Latham, veer right on Fort's Ferry road and follow that until it ends. Ride your bike east on the Colonie bike path, and look for singletracks heading up onto the ridges around the water treatment plants. It is fun, rollercoaster singletrack that is not very technical- about 5 to 15 miles if you ride it all. My personal favorite is the soon-to-be bulldozed Poop Loop- a three mile loop of super-fast buff singletrack at the west edge of the trail system.

    The area gets its name from the big sand pit which is near the Northway and Pollock road.

    The riding here is also currently "the pits" due to an unusual hatch of caterpillars. They are everywhere and a major PITA!
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

  13. #13
    Turner Homer
    Reputation: dtrek4500's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack Blues
    When one mentions the pits, they are referring to an area of land in Latham/Colonie which is within the bounday formed by I-87, Pollock Road, Forts Ferry Road, and the Mohawk river. The best access is off the bike path just east of Fort's Ferry Road.

    From Troy, you take alt. route 7 west to Latham, veer right on Fort's Ferry road and follow that until it ends. Ride your bike east on the Colonie bike path, and look for singletracks heading up onto the ridges around the water treatment plants. It is fun, rollercoaster singletrack that is not very technical- about 5 to 15 miles if you ride it all. My personal favorite is the soon-to-be bulldozed Poop Loop- a three mile loop of super-fast buff singletrack at the west edge of the trail system.

    The area gets its name from the big sand pit which is near the Northway and Pollock road.

    The riding here is also currently "the pits" due to an unusual hatch of caterpillars. They are everywhere and a major PITA!
    Yup Thanks for the directions, I know where that exactly is because I played in the albany capital's lacrosse program at the high school there. I will make it over ther over the summer sometime, and I also have the same problem with the catapillars at the local trails by my house.

Similar Threads

  1. great ride tonight...
    By jacksonpt in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 05:14 AM
  2. AZSF04 Spring Fling Pre-Gathering Organization thread
    By AZ Mikey in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 06:15 PM
  3. MAN!!! What a great ride this weekend!!!
    By crashedandburned in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 06:22 AM
  4. night ride passion (longish and theraputic)
    By SlowSSer in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 03:14 PM
  5. night ride passion (longish- some geared content)
    By SlowSSer in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 10:57 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.