New Paltz/Kingston area bike rentals- Mtbr.com
    rock crusher
    Aug 2008

New Paltz/Kingston area bike rentals

I am going to be visiting family and coming to the Mid-Hudson area in April, and would like to rent a bike to ride while in the area. I would bring mine, but figure 2-3 days of rental may be cheaper than packing and traveling with my own.

I know that some shops in the area rent bikes, but I am looking for some knowledge from those in the know to help narrow my search. The challenge is my stature; 6'9", so I need a big bike, and don't want to ride a 25" Trek hybrid that someone is renting. I would love to find a singlespeed to rent, or any nice trail bike (29'er preferred); Fisher's and Specialized's are pretty common... does anyone rent these?

A SS would be ideal; then I could hit Singlespeed-a-palooza in Newburgh before flying out from Stewart later that day .

Thanks in advance for any advice!

mtbr member
    Check out the Fats in the Cats website, they will have locations, addresses and phone #'s for the shops in the area. Be forewarned, Stewart is typically very sloppy and muddy in april, some years barely rideable, and so far this winter there's lots of snow and it's still relatively cold. Expect to be covered head to toe in slop. Have fun!

mtbr member
    We've got slim pickings for mid-level or better rentals -with tall guy, ss & 9er factored in- not likely to be found in these parts.
    Try Dark Horse Cycles first.

99mikegt
    better check it out on bikereg, but i think ssapalooza is sold out

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the input so far, everyone. SS-aplooza is indeed sold out, but that does simplify my rental requests a bit Plus, I would have to ride in mud again... I thankfully left most of that behind when I moved to the southwest

So far the biggest I can do is an XL/20-21" 26"-wheeled bike rental (geared) from either Overlook in Woodstock, Table Rock in Rosendale, or Bike Depot in New Paltz. I am hoping that Dark Horse has something in the 29er world available. Otherwise, I am looking at $250 to fly with my bike from Delta. That is a little rich for my blood.
    Ventana Wolfram 29+, Coconino 29 SS, Eriksen 29 Hardtail, Independent Fab Gravel Royale, Rock Lobster roadie

mtbr member
    Isnt shipping via UPS cheaper?

99mikegt
    dark horse does alot with 29er. i wouldnt doubt that george has a few stumpy 29r's laying around. Maybe if you feed him enough IPA hell send you out on one of is NINER's.

Maybe

Members who have read this thread: 0