Hunter Island, off Orchard Beach, in the Bronx?- Mtbr.com
    Sofa King We Todd Did

Hunter Island, off Orchard Beach, in the Bronx?

Anyone been to Hunter Island? I ride over to Orchard Beach frequently, and a few weeks ago, I noticed a sign for Hunter Island with a trail that led into some dense woods. I ventured in, the path was kinda wide, then it took a sharp uphill turn that proved to be a magnificent and challenging climb. I never reached the top 'cause a) I was running out of time and had to rush home, and b) I had forgotten my bug spray and was ravaged by mosquitoes and didn't feel like going home with a case of West Nile virus or something.

In any case, I thought I'd try to learn more about this little trail, but google hasn't offered much. I want to go back and see where the trail takes me. But I'm also conscious of the fact that some trails are off-limits to bikes and if this is one of them, then I'd rather not do something I'm not supposed to. I got yelled at once for trying to bomb down a rocky downhill horse trail by a local farmhand from the nearby stables.

Anyone familiar with this Hunter Island?

Sofa King We Todd Did
    OK, If anyone's even remotely interested, I finally got a chance to check this out with my brother yesterday. This is a nature walk that's a piece of cake. The main trail goes around the perimeter of the island (more like a peninsular, not an island), and there are other trails that lead inside which are slightly steeper.

It's totally not a big deal, but if you're in the area and can't be arsed to pack up the car and bike and drive out to a proper trail park, this Hunter Island should be alright for about 15 minute ride or so. Personally, I think it'll be quite fun for me to cap my outgoing ride with this little trail ride before I take the bike path home on my daily rides.

Members who have read this thread: 0