Hello from Buffalo, NY- Mtbr.com
    Eat.Sleep.Bike.Blog.

Hello from Buffalo, NY

Hello All,
    My name is Michael Bielat and I am new to mountain biking. I am 27 years old and I just recently took up mountain biking and am loving every second of it.

I ride with my longtime friend TJ Zydel of www.ProjektSolpro.com Custom Bikes and am taking in all the tips and tricks he's teaching me.

I have a Trek 4300 Disc Hardtail Bike and it has been holding up to the local trails quite nicely. My first bike was a department store "mountain" bike which lasted about 5 minutes on a trail before a pedal stripped off.

I am also documenting my mountain biking experiences on my blog: www.BikeToBlog.com where I write articles, tips, tricks and reviews of stuff that I pick up.

I am on the MTBR forums to connect wither other mountain bikers and especially ones in my neck of the woods.

I look forward to meeting some other local mountain bikers on here...

Thanks for reading.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi Michael! I'm also from Buffalo, and also just starting to actually ride mtb. Where do you ride around here? Kyle

Eat.Sleep.Bike.Blog.
    Hey Kyle!

Man it's good to hear from other mountain bikers around my neck of the woods. So far I have just been riding around Hunters Creek in South Wales and have been having a good time over there. There is also Sprague Brook which is a bit of a hike but I have yet to ride there. It seems to be more advanced and I am not at that level yet.

My buddy TJ and I try to get out to mountain bike once a week together. The rest of the time is just me riding around the neighborhood for exercise and endurance building.

Let me know if you ever want to ride together.

Eat.Sleep.Bike.Blog.
    BTW Kyle. Have you checked out the western new York mountain bike association yet? www.wnymba.org is their site and they have a forum with all local residents on there and they have frequent get togethers as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I was just about to shoot you to the wnymba site, thanks! I'm a forum member but don't have any real posts yet....just lurking. I tested a 4300 today, and it's epically better than my current gelding. I'll definately have to hit you up on the riding sometime. What part of Buffalo are you in? I'm near Allentown.

Eat.Sleep.Bike.Blog.
    I'm actually in Lancaster, NY so I am like 10 min away from Buffalo. The Trek 4300 is a great starter bike. I'll be reviewing it on my wwwEatSleepBikeBlog.com website soon. It's a great beginner bike but I wouldn't invest a lot of money on upgrades. I'll be running this one to the ground and pic up a full suspension next year or so. It's always best to get what you want from the factory rather than upgrading later because you will save a Tom of money.

Eat.Sleep.Bike.Blog.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Great review! Just picked up a Raleigh Mojave 5.0 at a decent price yesterday, took it out at Delaware Park today to tool around on....love it! I'm thinking of trying to hit a real, live trail next week or so. How was Hunter's for a newb? Kyle

Eat.Sleep.Bike.Blog.
    My buddy TJ Zydel of www.projektsolpro.com and I will be going to Hunter's Creek next week to ride. Want me to get you the details on when we will be there as soon as I find out more? He has a funny schedule with work so we usually go after 5:30 weekdays.

I will shoot you a PM with my phone number in case you want to go sometime.
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Absolutely, so long as you don't mind a slow/ inexperienced guy! I'm waiting to start college up again so at the moment I have no other commitments, generally. Kyle

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I live out in Batavia, so I'm about 25 miles east of you. But I ride hunters creek and sprague brook a few times a year. Great to find some guys from my area on here for once!! I ride with a bunch of cool dudes on some 4 wheeler trails out in our neck of the woods. If you ever wanna ride with us, shoot me a pm on here and we can set something up. We're always looking for more guys to ride with. We don't mind riding with slower guys, and we'll gladly teach you a few tips/tricks. Let me know, we always need an excuse to hit the woods

Eat.Sleep.Bike.Blog.
    Haha. I am not much better off than you are and am only a month into mountain biking myself. I am doing a lot of neighborhood riding to build up my cardio and shed some pounds.

My blog has more about where I am and stuff if you ever get bored then check it out.
    www.eatsleepbikeblog.com

Eat.Sleep.Bike.Blog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Destin
    Hey guys, I live out in Batavia, so I'm about 25 miles east of you. But I ride hunters creek and sprague brook a few times a year. Great to find some guys from my area on here for once!! I ride with a bunch of cool dudes on some 4 wheeler trails out in our neck of the woods. If you ever wanna ride with us, shoot me a pm on here and we can set something up. We're always looking for more guys to ride with. We don't mind riding with slower guys, and we'll gladly teach you a few tips/tricks. Let me know, we always need an excuse to hit the woods
    Awesome. I'll shoot you over my contact info via PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    +1 to that! Kyle

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Have any of you ridden the Eastside Overland Trail near Gerry, NY? I'm going to be in Cassadaga next week and it looks like that might be the closest ride as per the wnymba site.

Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey yz,
    I haven't ridden the Overland, but it looks like a good time. The wnymba site is really the best (read: only) mtb source for the area. What's got you in that part of the state? Kyle

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks, Kyle. My wife's family is from western NY and we're doing a family vacation in the area and bringing the bikes along. Found a site that has a map for some singletrack near Harris Hill, so I might check that out.

Yeah, I'd hit that
    Jun 2010
    Hey guys, from Rochester here. You should make it out this way for Tryon Park and Dryer Park, two awesome mountain biking areas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nerd,
    I hear Rochester is the place to be- looks like yall got a ton of shops and trails in the area. One of these days I'd like to take a drive up. Kyle

Yeah, I'd hit that
    Jun 2010
    Let me know if you do! The guys I usually ride with are fairly new, so it's pretty slow paced for the most part. More hike-a-bike than I'd prefer. Usually ends up being me riding some parts up ahead for a few hundred feet, then waiting for them to catch up. But I just like getting out there and enjoying the trails and maybe giving some pointers. I do enough road bike commuting during the week, so it's great to just have some off road fun!

Eat.Sleep.Bike.Blog.
    Hey everyone, shoot me over a PM with your email and contact info... What I will do is make a thing on Google called Google Groups and it allows us to all stay in contact with one another. This will be cool for us because we can send one email to the "group" email address and we will all get it so we can post when and where we will be riding and if there are any cool things going on locally. I know I am always using my phone to check mail so I get emails as soon as they are sent practically. How about you guys? You do the same?

My email is [email protected] in case you would rather email me with your info.
    Sound like a plan?

Eat.Sleep.Bike.Blog.
    ... You know what, I was talking with my buddy TJ Zydel of Projekt Solpro custom bikes and he thinks we should work on building up the mountain biking scene in Western New York.

So let's do this, everyone join up the WNYMBA.org site (Western New York Mountain Bicycling Association), donate if you want or join for free and then we will communicate through that site and can get more people involved with what they are all about. Without that group, there would be no trails so let's support those guys....
    Last edited by BikeToBlog; 08-06-2010 at 12:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I like it! I check my email via (don't laugh) PDA so it's pretty instant. My email is at the bottom of this message.

Just got back from Hunters....accidentally explored the red trail a bit, and will admit I spent some time afoot. Pink, blue, orange, green, yellow and chevron were all great! Ton of fun, too. Only wanted to go out for 1.5 hours or so but stayed from 1030-1 (took a couple wrong turns!) and am rather glad I did. Fantastic area, can't wait to ride with others! Kyle

kylejonesub at gmail dot com

Eat.Sleep.Bike.Blog.
    Look at my previous post... I edited it and canned the Google Group. Re-read my post above on how we can all stay connected with one another by using the WNYMBA.ORG site.

Without them there is no biking for us in the area so support them if you haven't done so already.

Anyways,
    Kyle that is awesome news man. Glad you made it back and awesome job. Sounds like you had a blast. What were your thoughts on your first MTB trail run?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Good plan on wnymba.

The first run out was more than I expected, that's for sure. I'm not really certain what it was that I did expect, but there were sections I rode easily and sections I walked easily. Most of the latter I looked at, thought to myself 'how the hell....' and decided to hike it. Eventually I'll get up to riding them, but for now with my skillset I had to take it easy. Log crossings are NOT my friend. The one large, canted log on the pink trail, has a nice dirt jump leading up either side, I definitely walked over. I gotta get back out there and soon! Kyle

Eat.Sleep.Bike.Blog.
    I've been riding with Kyle and TJ the past couple weeks and have been having a blast. Are all you locals on wnymba.org yet?

XT_
    Ina van down by the river
    May 2009
    Greetings From Amherst!

I bought myself a new bike and have hardly touched the thing all summer, just been too busy!

Eat.Sleep.Bike.Blog.
    Quote Originally Posted by XT_
    Greetings From Amherst!

I bought myself a new bike and have hardly touched the thing all summer, just been too busy!

Well you have to get out and use it!!! Let's ride sometime.

I seriously have three jobs right now (software engineer from 9-5, wedding and portrait photographer weekends and I am starting up a SEO company) so I am packed!!! I am done with wedding photography this year so that will free up A TON of time! Plus we are going through remodeling our house and adding around 700 sq. ft. to it so contractor meetings and stuff gets crazy! No time to $### for myself these days so I feel your pain!

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I didn't read every post, so I hope this hasn't been mentioned yet:

Ellicottville

It's in Cattaraugus County, and not too far from Buffalo. It is listed as one of the IMBA Epics. There is and annual race that is a 24-mile course with 22+ of that being singletrack, just to give you an idea of the trails there. There is also more stuff, including a relatively tame 5-mile loop at Holiday Valley ski resort, with a summer race series.

There's a sweet litte bike shop (Ellicottville Bike Shop) run by a cool fella named Dennis. Look him up. E-ville has plenty of ski shops and places to re-fuel yourself after a ride.

Also, check out Letchworth State Park. Apparently there's a 13 or 15 mile downhill there that people shuttle, which has been described as "Porcupine Rim with trees." The place itself is beautiful and is fun to visit even if you weren't going to get a sweet ride out of the bargain.
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I certainly wouldn't describe Letchworth as a downhill trail in any way shape or form. There are definitely downhill sections, but plenty of climbs to equal them out. I've seen people ride freerideish bikes there, but they were suffering. It's a great ride, but be prepared for some work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi guys,

I moved 2 moths ago from Munich to Buffalo. I mainly ride DH and a little bit road, but want to start again with AM in spring after I have purchased a bike.

Are in Buffalo any Bike clubs or places where rider usually hang out? Would be really cool to get in touch not only for riding, maybe also for having from time to time a couple of drinks...

Looking forward to hearing from you
    Michael

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. ~Christopher Morley

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodie6
    Registered and joined

mtbr member
    Damn its cold in WNY today...only 4 more months of this crap!!!!!

XT_
    Ina van down by the river
    May 2009
    I think this is the first time i logged in since the last time i posted, which was in this thread! Ridiculous. I have no time anymore it seems. I have to MAKE time. I miss going out and riding. We WNY people should get together and plan something. I'm getting fat!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

... and if we just ... Singletrack at Harris Hill

Hi All,

For those of you who don't know, we've been building some really great singletrack in Gerry, NY (about an hour southwest of Buffalo). The singletrack connects with the Eastside Overland Trail, and the parking is located here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...7875b9ebc0da7e

Currently, we have about 7 miles of singletrack, and this connects to another 3-4 miles of the Overland Trail. The singletrack is moderately difficult, with some good climbs and descents, a couple jumps, a gigantic log-over, and plenty of roots, rocks, and logs to jump over. For more information and pictures, please check out the Harris Hill Extension Website: http://harrishillext.webs.com/

We're looking for some volunteer workers come spring, and it would be awesome to hear back from some of you. We've been given the green light by the DEC to build as much trail as our hearts' desire (as long as it's sustainable trail), and we have around 2,000 acres of State Forest to work with. Please check out the website and join the Facebook group page, which you can find by searching for "MTB'ers Harris Hill Ext."

We hope to hear from you!!
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. ~Christopher Morley

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Pics of Harris Hill

Just to whet the appetite!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello from Buffalo, NY-003.jpg  

Hello from Buffalo, NY-004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by davehbuffalo
    Registered and joined
    The WNYMBA lounge is history, but maybe it will be back, but maybe not?

alien exchange student

+1 for E-ville

I couldn't agree more - Ellicottville is a great place to ride. Dennis at Ellicottville Bike Shop is a good guy and treats people fairly. There is a huge variety of trails so that anyone from beginner to expert can have a blast. The town itself is great too.

Cheers all!

Mel

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Bodie,
    I travel through Gerry periodically as my parents are from Warren, PA. I'm glad to hear more trails are opening up down that way! If I'm free on one of your work days I'll be in for a little maintenance. Kyle

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by cnydirt
    I certainly wouldn't describe Letchworth as a downhill trail in any way shape or form. There are definitely downhill sections, but plenty of climbs to equal them out. I've seen people ride freerideish bikes there, but they were suffering. It's a great ride, but be prepared for some work.

I wasn't saying it's a downhill trail; I just meant it's a trail that runs more down than up. I was referred to it buy a Specialized rep riding a 22-lb full carbon Epic.
    Go ride your bike.

cycle dad
    cycle-cny.com for riders in NY. Maps, trails, and people to ride with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hey Harris Hill riders- how far is this area from Fredonia? 15-20 minutes or there abouts? My hometown is Fredonia but I now live in Rochester. I have family in Fredonia that I'll be visiting this spring and summer. Would love to fit a 2 hour ride in.
    Has Anyone who has ridden our Rochester area trails also ridden this Harris Hill Trail network? How does it compare? I mostly ride Tryon, Dryer, Letchworth, OCP, and Harriet Hollister. I Also venture down to E-ville area a few times each year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Harris Hill

Dragbike,
    I live in Fredonia, so whenever you come back, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to take you out for a ride.

To answer your questions: Harris Hill is just over 20 minutes from Fredonia - you take Route 60 to "Old Chautauqua Rd," and after a few turns, you're there. Here's the route you'd take: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4336730

I've never ridden in the Rochester area, but if I were to grade Harris Hill on on a 1-5 scale, it would be as follows:

Technical Difficulty: 2.5
    Aerobic Difficulty: 3.5
    Fun Factor: 4.5

The majority of the singletrack branches off of old skid roads, and the singletrack is tight and twisty with moderate flow and some nice skinnies, log-overs, and the occasional clump of roots. If you check out http://www.wnymba.org/index.php there was a recent write-up on its history. You can also go here: http://harrishillext.webs.com/ for some photos and a link to the Facebook page where you can become a member of the group.

Again, let me know when you're in Fredonia. The guys who ride out there are super chill and love to mountain bike. We're always looking for new people to enjoy the fruits of our labor!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Michael! I am an international student from Singapore, currently studying in UB. I have just started a new project to pick up MTB this year but have no idea how to approach this! Would be great if you could share your experiences and perhaps tips on where and how to get started.

My current bike built is a trek marlin 2012, hard-tail on a 29 inch.

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated!!

rgds,
    Ken

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Lai View Post
    Hi Michael! I am an international student from Singapore, currently studying in UB. I have just started a new project to pick up MTB this year but have no idea how to approach this! Would be great if you could share your experiences and perhaps tips on where and how to get started.

My current bike built is a trek marlin 2012, hard-tail on a 29 inch.

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated!!

rgds,
    Ken
    Ken,

Begin here: WNYMBA It's the Western New York Mountain Bicycling Association; the only website you need to learn about the local mountain biking scene.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Bodie,

thanks for the advice! it definitely a start! wondering if by any chance there are any clinics or courses i could attend for MTB in the area of buffalo??

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This is a bit of an old thread, but maybe a good place to ask... anyone know how Ellicotville is drying up? thinking on making the trek from east of Toronto the first week of April if it is dry enough.

Our main trail area here is a bit of a mud fest right now, no riding for another week I think, but don't know how much you guys may have down there.

I may call Dennis at Ellicottville Bike shop closer to the time and ask him.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    This is a bit of an old thread, but maybe a good place to ask... anyone know how Ellicotville is drying up? thinking on making the trek from east of Toronto the first week of April if it is dry enough.

Our main trail area here is a bit of a mud fest right now, no riding for another week I think, but don't know how much you guys may have down there.

I may call Dennis at Ellicottville Bike shop closer to the time and ask him.

D
    First week in April is very optimistic, at best. You won't be doing the trails any favors by riding on them when they're wet, and the locals won't appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crs1042 View Post
    First week in April is very optimistic, at best. You won't be doing the trails any favors by riding on them when they're wet, and the locals won't appreciate it.
    I hear you, I'm the same up here, not wanting to ruin any trails, that''s why I'm asking. I'll call down to the local bike shops before I travel down to be safe. I did read somewhere that those trails tend to drain really well, so I'm being hopeful!

D
    Last edited by osteo; 03-15-2012 at 01:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hello everyone. Another WNY rider here from Lockport. I am just getting back into biking after many years. I have a few friends that ride so looking forward to seeing what is out there for trails. We have a cottage down in Stow (Chaut. Lake) so these trails in Gerry sound like a good time.

I too am interested to here how the trails are drying, especially since the weather is in our favor lately. They are saying 80 for next week.....March!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Check out wnymba.org they are our local organization that helps maintain/builds the trails. they also have maps of the different trail systems and provide updates on the conditions.
    I would recommend you stay off most of the trails for a little bit longer...the snow has just finished melting and the soils haven't had a chance to dry out yet.
    Hope to see ya on the trails soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I agree with what everyone else has said. The trails in WNY are mostly clay based, so they tend to take a bit longer to dry. I would venture to bet that Ellicottville is still pretty soggy. If the weather stays dry, then I would think that the trails will be good to go by early April. Check the WNYMBA site for more information on trail conditions: WNYMBA

Harris Hill generally takes much longer to dry out than many of the other local trails. As soon as these trails are ready to ride, we'll let everyone know on the website: Harris Hill Ext Project - NAMBA Northern Allegheny Mountain Bike Association

Whitexc: Shoot me a PM when you head down to your cottage in Stow. I'd be happy to take you out on some of the excellent trails around the area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just in case anyone out there's itching to ride, and your trails are still soggy, the trails over here in Rochester are in great condition. Feel free to visit! You can get maps on the GROC website and day-to-day conditions here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    Just in case anyone out there's itching to ride, and your trails are still soggy, the trails over here in Rochester are in great condition. Feel free to visit! You can get maps on the GROC website and day-to-day conditions here.
    Lazarus,

Thanks for the GROC link, if Ellicottville is still too wet that first week of April I think the GROC and those trails just might be the ticket! and I noticed at least one of them has camping...

D

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi there all fellow WNY riders. Im here in Cheektowaga (buffalo), 21 and just stared oit last season. I love Hunters creek and plan on hitting some of the other trails donw in Ellicottville. Hope to see some others out on the trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Another WNY MTBr'

Hi All - just stumbled on this thread while trying to find more riding in WNY. Been riding for a while now, especially when I lived in Utah, but the bike has been hanging up too much lately
    now that I'm back in WNY.

I'm in the Pendleton area and haven't found much in my vicinity but am hoping to make a trip to the Ellicottville area in the coming weeks.

Anyone been out riding recently or is it still pretty muddy?

Thanks for any news / reports on the WNY conditions.

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Western New York Mountain Bicycle Association will be your best resource. WNYMBA

mtbr member
    Hey Greymatterfan,

There are some trails at Bond Lake. Which is on Lower Mountain road (google it). WYNMBA did have some plans to create trails and they are actually marked but not finished.
    There are also some trails that go from the park over to the Power Authority which cut across "the res".

I'm in North Tonawanda and go to Hunters most weekends (This Sunday for instance). PM me if you want to go.
    Yesterday starts tomorrow, tomorrow starts today, and the problem seems to be we're picking up the pieces on the ricochet

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Re: Bond Lake

S.n.a.k.e - thanks for the heads up. I've been kayaking over at Bonds Lake but not riding yet.. Are you talking about the old ski-tow side or the lakes side? I will have to take the bike over and check it out

Thanks for the offer to Hunters - I will PM if I can get some time to head out that way. Going to look into WYNMBA as well.

Thanks again for the info -

GMF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greymatterfan View Post
    S.n.a.k.e - thanks for the heads up. I've been kayaking over at Bonds Lake but not riding yet.. Are you talking about the old ski-tow side or the lakes side? I will have to take the bike over and check it out

Thanks for the offer to Hunters - I will PM if I can get some time to head out that way. Going to look into WYNMBA as well.

Thanks again for the info -

GMF
    There are trails around the lakes (good for warmup) on the lake side. On the ski hill side there is a nice trail down the outside (Left) of the ski hill. The ski hill itself is a fun run (>40mph) with a jump in the middle and there are decent trails to the right of the ski hill that head back into the park. You can go out the back of the park and over to the boy scout camp that has some nice double track.

I usually hit Hunters or Sprague every Sunday.
    Last edited by S.n.a.k.e.; 05-15-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    Yesterday starts tomorrow, tomorrow starts today, and the problem seems to be we're picking up the pieces on the ricochet

Members who have read this thread: 1