Hand to Hand Combat.....- Mtbr.com
    Make some music
    Sep 2004

Hand to Hand Combat.....

Don't underestimate the value of a good hike when it's way to soft to ride.... Took my two kids, jogging stroller for two, some tools and off into the woods we went. The day was a beauty.... As for the hand to hand, well that was in the form of a monster Sticker-Bush on a notoriously bad section of trail. It will take more than one visit to slay these dragons.... Little ineffective pruning has sent these stickys vertical and the winter had brought one down across the trail, almost impassable.. Don't think it didn't go down without a fight... It's amazing to think that this trail has grown so bad and waited for me to take up this sport and clean it... By the time I pushed the kids out of the wood, a hastey retreat as I was loosing light, I was Bushed.. But time better spent than on the spin trainer..

A great way to get out, enjoy and do some good for the upcoming riding season.. Just make sure you have Mud-proof boots..
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Not trying to be a "prick-er bush" but keep in mind that if you're doing that kind of work on public property or on property that doesn't belong to you, the land manager should be aware of what you're doing. Part of improving the state of mtbing in NJ includes improving relationships with land managers.

Make some music
    Sep 2004

Keep that in mind

I'll have to keep that in mind next time I see some clowns heaping up a bunch of branches next to some fallen tree to make some rickety-a$$ bike stunt.
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

50/50

Strat,

It is not that your efforts are not appreciated.
    You should know that trail work is 50% muscle and 50% public relations.
    We need your help and cooperation to stick with the plan (IMBA/JORBA).
    If you want to work in a county or state park, please join forces with your local advocacy group. If it is a WMA, then you may have to volunteer for another user group while wearing you bike helmut. This approach has been working.
    You may still be able to work solo and on your own schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratocaster
    I'll have to keep that in mind next time I see some clowns heaping up a bunch of branches next to some fallen tree to make some rickety-a$$ bike stunt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Trails

Quote Originally Posted by trailnimal
    Strat,

It is not that your efforts are not appreciated.
    You should know that trail work is 50% muscle and 50% public relations.
    We need your help and cooperation to stick with the plan (IMBA/JORBA).
    If you want to work in a county or state park, please join forces with your local advocacy group. If it is a WMA, then you may have to volunteer for another user group while wearing you bike helmut. This approach has been working.
    You may still be able to work solo and on your own schedule.
    I will not get into my usual rant about trails and maintenance Phatbiker says I can't use my age as an issue anymore. I hike the Tourne almost daily. Yesterday was beautiful, a Kodak moment, today was the result of heavy wet snow. Lots of hanging detached branches which I tried to remove. I was impaled by one falling a few years ago, missing the jugular by a whisker so I am sensitive about them.

Mountain Lakes does nothing insofar as maintaining trails and whatever is done in the Tourne is spotty. Lois and I used to do most of it but our emphasis will be road now.

Scott and I did a pretty good job on taking care of Mahlon and got great cooperation from JORBA as I kept them informed (Greg Murray), but Scott is a DHer and the season is starting, and as I said, road is the priority now since Lois can no longer ride MB. I think the parks, given their budgets, will take whatever help they can get.

Bruce

it's just baby phat..
    wow! i'm shocked that somone acutally listens to me!! jusk kidding Bruce. hope see you out there this year. i've been off the bike but plan on starting this week. happy trails to all.

nelson aka "phatbiker"

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ellsworth
    Phatbiker says I can't use my age as an issue anymore.

Members who have read this thread: 0