easy trails or any fire road trails in Kinnelon or rockaway area.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

easy trails or any fire road trails in Kinnelon or rockaway area.

Hi all, I'm new here and a year into biking. I am looking for some easy trails or any fire roads in the Kinnelon or Rockaway areas. I used to ride at William Paterson, but since I graduated it's kind of out of my way. My GF lives in Rockaway, and I cannot find anywhere to ride there besides on the street.

Also, how long is patriot's path, and is it worth me driving to Lewis Morris (from Kinnelon) to ride it?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance,
    Steve

vgt
    mtbr member
    I would say to check out the carriage trails a.k.a. fire roads at Ringwood State Park. There are a ton of them up there. They contain some flat areas, some long uphills and some long downhills. There are hardpack spots and washed out rocky spots. I think you would love it. Also, everything basically eventually leads back to the parking areas as well. If your girlfriend is in ok shape and into mtb-ing, you could bring her along no problem.

VGT

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    vgt,

What is your avatar?

vgt
    mtbr member
    why norm my good man, that is "gunnery sgt hartman" from stanley kubrick's critically acclaimed movie "full metal jacket" brilliantly acted by "r. lee ermy."

VGT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan2207
    I am looking for some easy trails or any fire roads in the Kinnelon or Rockaway areas.
    The Tourne is near you and has easy trails. Lewis Morris is also somewhat close, and yes it's worth it. Some trails in Mahlon Dickerson are easier and fun. I see you ride a hardtail though -- watch the rocks and roots.

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vgt
    why norm my good man, that is "gunnery sgt hartman" from stanley kubrick's critically acclaimed movie "full metal jacket" brilliantly acted by "r. lee ermy."

VGT
    Ahhh, I see. Man I never would have figured that out.

Jeff O'Hara
    Oct 2006
    Hi all, I'm new here and a year into biking. I am looking for some easy trails or any fire roads in the Kinnelon or Rockaway areas. I used to ride at William Paterson, but since I graduated it's kind of out of my way. My GF lives in Rockaway, and I cannot find anywhere to ride there besides on the street.

Also, how long is patriot's path, and is it worth me driving to Lewis Morris (from Kinnelon) to ride it?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance,
    Steve
    When I lived in Boonton I would ride around he split rock resevoire. Fire roads if you want and other trails too. Betwen Green pond road and 511. Also some riding near Green Pond Lake. You can cross over the GP ridge and get into the a network that makes it's way to Mahlon area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailfinder
    When I lived in Boonton I would ride around he split rock resevoire. Fire roads if you want and other trails too. Betwen Green pond road and 511. Also some riding near Green Pond Lake. You can cross over the GP ridge and get into the a network that makes it's way to Mahlon area.

Thanks, I tried the Split rock trails from kinnelon rd, but I never found the lake, I ended up in a development. However, I've heard stories on trail reviews of people getting attacked by albinos. Ever hear of that?

I think the website was railstotrails.org
    Last edited by jetfan2207; 11-07-2006 at 12:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ...However, I've heard stories on trail reviews of people getting attacked by ...
    Here we go again.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by normZurawski
    Ahhh, I see. Man I never would have figured that out.

I can't believe you folks did not recognize the Gunny!! VGT, what are we going to do with these lads...

Private Pyle... what is your major malfunction, numbnuts?

What's your name, fat body?

Drop and give me 20.

This is my obstacle! Get the f- off my obstacle!

A jelly donut... in your footlocker? You paid for it, you eat it!

If you don't know G.Sgt Hartmann, you can go here for all his great lines: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jacket2.html

R. Lee Ermey deserves and Oscar for that performance, even though he was just "bein himself"

Members who have read this thread: 0