Beginner Trails in Bergen County- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

Beginner Trails in Bergen County

Hi All.
    New to the forum and new to Mountain biking.
    Can anyone recommend any beginner trails in Bergen County/Mahwah area?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There are some good beginner trails close to Bergen, but the only two trails in Bergen are a bit advanced. (Ringwood and Skyline)
    Check MTBNJ.com for a map of trail locations.

Here are some threads on NJ beginnerís trails:

Where to Bring A Beginner

Good Beginner trails in NNJ

New rider.. [help on NJ trails]

That said, I usually take my beginner friends to the Tourne in Boonton.

Jul 2006
    I'll check those threads. Thanks Much!

mtbr member
    Mahwah is close to the NY border, what about over there. I had a difficult time at Tourne when i first went there but i think i started off in the wrong spot, heading right up the big hill.

mtbr member

Jul 2006
    I hear there are great trails in NY up around Harriman, but It's something I'll have to take some time to explore. Kinda tough because I don't have a lot of time and I would hate to spend all my time searching for the trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    as far as i know Harrian is illegal to ride.....although ive seen some guys riding the southern end.
    You live in Mahwah.....just a hop skip and a jump and you're in Ringwood. Tons of stuff for you to ride. In Bergen Cnty there isnt much stuff. I live in Ridgewood and a little route my GF and I take along the Right-Of-Way that can put you into the Bike Path which has some a couple of flat singletrack but thats about it.
    Your best bet is Ringwood. Something like 15 minutes from you.

Jul 2006
    Hey Lawndart, Some of the threads that Clutch recomended say Ringwood is kinda technical. I'm just starting out, so I can't say I have any MTN bike skills. That said it's so close I'll have to go and check it out. That Right of way sound like a cool quick ride. I read about a "PSE&G right-of-way trail that goes from Waldwick to Glen Rock". in one of the New Rider Trails -thread. Is that the same one?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Dont get so intimidated by posts about Ringwood. There are alot of fireroads that go thru the park. Sure there are technical trails. But there are alot of tame roads as well.
    The Right of Way is that Right Of Way. Theres a way to link up some "hidden" jems of trails that dot Glen Rock and Hawthorne as well. Plus there is the Celery Farm in Allendale on the Franklin TPK. I go walking there all the time and its flat as flat can be. Bring a camara too. Im sure it gets pretty busy after work and on the weekends so pick an off time.

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    Just do it. It might hurt, but it'll hurt less and less each time you go.

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    there is a nice tame trail off 9w south past piermont - i believe it is part of Harriman (Tallman) state park, and it is legal to ride there.
    Last edited by mtnbkr0101; 08-11-2006 at 07:18 AM.

Jul 2006
    as lawn dart stated abotu ringwood and most places in the area just explore if it gets too tricky then turn around and explore somemore, eventually youll get better.. jersey is rocky and rooty so most stuff is technical but it will maek you a better rider

hartsworth (sp) in highlands is about an hour or so in highlands NJ and has alot of fun single track..

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    hartshone is nice but its far. nice hard pack and roller coaster-like. I like it there but its far. I want to take my GF there once she gets confident enough.....she's just getting over the fear of hopping off curbs. But he's a hell of a lot better climber than me so it wont be long!!! This weekend I hope to take her to Ringwood or New Paltz or Jim Thorpe, PA.

Jul 2006
    Sounds like my weekends will be busy for a while
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nismo driver
    as lawn dart stated abotu ringwood and most places in the area just explore if it gets too tricky then turn around and explore somemore, eventually youll get better.. jersey is rocky and rooty so most stuff is technical but it will maek you a better rider

hartsworth (sp) in highlands is about an hour or so in highlands NJ and has alot of fun single track..
    HartShorne woods Park,

http://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/parks/hartshorne.asp

This is my stomping ground, if your in the area or planning on being in the area, ill show you around, drop me a PM..

Later

Mike
    NMBPMIke

mtbr member
    Don't get distracted by the reviews on this site. Some people tend to get dramatic and i suspect don't like people learning on their trials. The good people, like in this thread will tell you to just get out there and ride. You'll be loving where you're living in no time. I wish i was 15 minutes from the best trail in jersey.

mtbr member
    The right-of-way trail is good with your girlfiend, thats about it. Tallman State Park in Piermont is around 15 minutes friom Mahwah and has some great trails. Tourne is good, Mahlon is very rocky but good. Hell, everywhere is good if you take your time. But on a hardtail you're gonna want rear cush real fast.

Sean, by the way, Tears and other hc bands CBs 8/20. Might even get up and play with the old band.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

meet up with Justin

Justin,
    thanks for the heads up on the CB's show but I was planning on seeing a band that i just got into thats playing at the Bloomfield Ave Cafe. The-Forecast.

Guitar Boy,
    I'd meet up with Justin if I were you. PM him or something. Hes always on here and he goes to the local trails alot plus he lives around here.

TRAILBLAZER
    lawndart, I live in Ridgewood too. There is some nice singletrack stuff right by us that starts above the Ho-Ho-Kus train station & then some cool singletrack that mirror's the saddle river starting on the other side of 17 going North thru Saddle River into Upper S.R.
    It's got some up and downhill sections for a good afternoon ride. In Mahwah there is good trails near the ski hill that go deep into the woods and actuallly over the nj/ny border nice ups and downs but watch for black bears the fuggers are over there all the time in the summer.
    Pedal Damn It !!! JORBA member

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    B-11

where in Ho Ho Kus? up by the Heights? and where are the trails on the other sie of 17? where does that begin and end? Im thinking of the little park off Hollywood Ave and East Saddle River Rd.

TRAILBLAZER
    lawndart, In the heights above the ho-ho train station going towards waldwick. first street on your right go around the guardrail and follow the trail to the left.

Exactly the park your thinkin of off Hollywood.
    Last edited by B-11; 08-18-2006 at 05:12 PM.
    Pedal Damn It !!! JORBA member

Members who have read this thread: 0