Beginner Skills Clinic- Mtbr.com
    JORBA

JORBA,ATUG Beginner Skills Clinic

We are pleased to announce that we are holding another Beginners Skills Clinic here at Allaire.If you are new to the sport or at a beginner level,come and join us on Sat. Oct. 14 2006 at 10 am.We will meet at the Hospital Rd parking lot.We will be covering the "basics" of mountain biking,coached by seasoned riders from our area.
    You will learn:

Proper shifting
    Balance skills
    Proper braking
    Trail ediquette
    Climbing
    Descending
    and even how to clear a pesky "logstacle"

This is a JORBA event and is being sponsored by The Bicycle Hub of Marlboro.This event is free of charge and is open to all riders 16 and older.
    This is a FUN event and I hope you will join us.If you are interested please rsvp at [email protected] or you can call the park office at 732-938-2003.
    Thanks and hope to see you there.
    Last edited by gt2brew; 09-07-2006 at 12:59 PM.

JORBA
    bump.............
    Last edited by gt2brew; 08-21-2006 at 11:02 AM. Reason: delete

mtbr member
    I'd definitely be interested in attending. I have to ask whether my sis and gf would like to go also, so is there a cutoff date for the rsvp?? Do you have an address this is by so I can mapquest it? Also on jorba.org it says the clinic is on the 24th, so is it the 24th or the 14th? Thanks

Wes

JORBA

thanks Wes!

WOW.....thanks for catching that.It is on Oct 14th. Here is a map to the "Villiage" enrterance.The multi-use lot is on Hospital rd. on the south east corner of the map.
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...y=US&geodiff=1
    I would like to know by the 7th of Oct. so I can plan for the amount of coaches I need.
    Thanks Wes and hope you and "the girls" can make it.

May 2006
    This is a great clinic everyone!!!

If I wasn't getting married the next day, I'd go.

JORBA
    Congrats and have a great and healthy life together.

May 2006
    Haha! Thanks Frank.

JORBA
    Don't forget that the IMBA Trail Care Crew will be visiting us on Oct 1st.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Oh Darn,

That's a race day, Frank! Wish I could be in two places at the same time. Oh well, hope to see you on the 14th of Oct for the clinic. That's the day BEFORE the All-a-muchy 50 k race, right? smiles, Jess

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Hi all

I would like to try and bring a complete novice to the clinic. Is this the appropriate venue?
    My friend is an ex roadie that is starting to mt bike after a terrible biker vs car accident.

I guess what I want to know is, is the clinic designed for some true beginners ?

Thanks,
    Ruth

JORBA
    Hi Ruth,
    The clinic IS designed for the beginner MTBer.We cover balance,braking,climbing, and other skills as well.It sounds like this might be a good thing for your friend.Intro to MTB might help your friend adapt to off-road.Bring your friend,if nothing else it WILL be fun,and it could be educational too. Should I put you on the rsvp list for 2?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

I better check

I suppose I should ask her first right?

I actually have another friend that is a beginner too, so perhaps there will be three. I will get back to you.

JORBA
    BRING 'EM ALL!!!!

JORBA
    Sorry Jess,Im too old to race so I don't know when the 50k is....I don't think I could ride 50k let alone race it. ...It's a saturday morning! Hope to see ya there.Maybe it won't rain this time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

party of three...

OK.
    My novice friend and my beginner friend both want to attend, so all three of us will be coming.

Looking forward to it.

Ruth

-Fly you fools!-
    Wish I had a bike, but I'm still broke, or else I'd try to make it out!

JORBA
    How tall are you and what's your inseam.I might have an extra bike that you can use for the event.

-Fly you fools!-
    I'm about 5'10" with about a 32" inseam...

JORBA
    Scotty I got a bike you can use for the clinic,a classic, but still a good bike.I'll bring it with me to the clinic.

-Fly you fools!-
    Hey, how late do you think this will run? I just realized I made plans for the morning of the 14th, but I'd still love to try and make it out!...

JORBA
    We'll be out until about noon.

-Fly you fools!-
    Alright, cool, I'll see what I can do!

JORBA
    You do have a helmet don't you scotty?

-Fly you fools!-
    So yeah, looks as if I'm going to have to cancel this AND my other plans on the 14th. I completely forgot I have the SAT's that day....I'm pissed to say the least!!!

JORBA

study hard

That's ok.Do well on your SAT's that's a little more important than MTBing.... what am I saying?

Trail eater

is the bike clinic still a go ahead?

Hello everyone,

I have emailed and try to call the number for the bike clinic this sat at Sewell, NJ. So far I havent had a reply. My wife and I would love to go. We are hiring a car to get out there so should we just turn up? There wouldnt be that many people going such that we would be refused to participate?
    If anyone could help out we would appreciate it alot.

cheers

Josef
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

JORBA
    So sorry....I did'nt get the e-mail....but do come on down.It will be fun.
    This clinic is in Farmingdale NJ or are you inquiring on the JAR clinic?
    Last edited by gt2brew; 10-10-2006 at 08:03 AM.

Trail eater
    Quote Originally Posted by gt2brew
    So sorry....I did'nt get the e-mail....but do come on down.It will be fun.
    This clinic is in Farmingdale NJ or are you inquiring on the JAR clinic?

Its the JAR clinic in sewell NJ. I emailed them again and still no response.

cheers
    Josef
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

JORBA
    sorry can't help you there.
    try these sources?
    http://www.jorba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=196

mtbr member
    I would love to be able to come this sat., but realized that we have the ms bike tour in nyc on sun. So I gotta switch out everyone's knobbies for slicks and plus I want fresh legs for the 60 miles of the bike tour. One question though, is this the last mtb clinic you're throwing this season or will there be possibly one more?

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    Hello everyone,

I have emailed and try to call the number for the bike clinic this sat at Sewell, NJ. So far I havent had a reply. My wife and I would love to go. We are hiring a car to get out there so should we just turn up? There wouldnt be that many people going such that we would be refused to participate?
    If anyone could help out we would appreciate it alot.

cheers

Josef
    Josef,
    The beginner skills clinic is on for Saturday at GCC in Sewell.
    No one is refused and you are welcome to participate.
    I will be out there on Saturday to help out.
    John

JORBA
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWu
    I would love to be able to come this sat., but realized that we have the ms bike tour in nyc on sun. So I gotta switch out everyone's knobbies for slicks and plus I want fresh legs for the 60 miles of the bike tour. One question though, is this the last mtb clinic you're throwing this season or will there be possibly one more?
    Sorry but this is the last of the season.Maybe we'll have one in the spring.

Apr 2006

Outstanding Event and People

I was fortunate enough to be part of this event on the 14th. Frank, Mike, Tony and the others who put this together and coached should be highly commended for their work, passion, enthusiasm and effort in passing along their joy for mountain biking. It's evident in how the Skills Clinic was organized, structured and executed that, not only were we instructed on the ideals of mountain biking, etiquette and trail maintenance but also on technique and how to maximize enjoyment.

Participants were grouped with an instructor/mentor (3-4 per coach/mentor) and we rode into the park as a big group. At each relevant skill section, Frank and the team took time to let us know what we'd be encountering, how to mentally and physically approach the obstacle or terrain and then followed up with any observations This was ideal in that we had an idea of what we needed to do without blindly speeding into an unknown section. Any one who wanted to do the skill again was encouraged to do so; no one was left behind on their own. Our mentors took time to provide tips and ideas on how we could improve our ride and enjoyment. No question was left hanging. At the "logsticle" area each participant was shown how to tackle the log and then allowed to go over as many times as one wanted. Each log had a pair of spotters giving us that element of safety.

This is just a tip of what we experienced. If the goal was to make us better aware of the trails, our equipment and safety, enjoyment of the sport, and being with others on an incredibly clear October Saturday morning..... then it was a tremendous success. I rode away with a better understanding of what I need to work on, more importantly it was a Saturday spent with a group who sincerely promotes all the positive attributes of mountain biking, JORBA and IMBA. Well done Frank and Mike. Thanks Tony for the tips...... Looking forward to the next event.
    Felipe

JORBA

NO thank you

I actually think that the coaches and I have the most fun.
    Thank you and everyone else for coming.It was a picture perfect day and it was a great time.

mtbr member
    Yo, Felipe,

I think Frank is right when He said that the coaches have more fun that the folks attending. I had a great time working with you and Sal. Hopefully I'll see both of you guys next time.
    Tony

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Hey Frank

And thanks for fixing my car key....I would have been lost without you!

Ruth

JORBA
    You CAN do almost anything with a multi-tool!
    Glad you joined us, it was fun.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey Ruth-

JORBA
    short story on Jorba.org
    http://www.jorba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=349
    checo out the gallery for more pix.More to come soon !!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Many thanks to all of those who made this day happen! This was my first time out on a trail and I defintely see why many are so enthusiastic about the sport! And special thanks to Tony for his awesome coaching and tips! BTW, I chucked my kickstand and reflectors!!

Sal

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Hey!!!!!!!!!

Who is that silly woman!!!!!!!!! Is that a new bike she is on??? Wait, you can't see the bike!!!!!

LOL

Ruth

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Greetings ALL...

Just wanted to say as an Instructor i had a blast with everyone, all the participants did an excellent job, and we had some really great weather to boot. Just wanted to say a big thanks to my best bud Frank for putting together an awsome event i believe everyone had ablast. great job SG... !!!!!

Hey ruth, it was a really nice bike i hope you were able to ride after the class..

Mike
    NMBPmike
    NMBPMIke

mtbr member
    rave reviews once again!

frank, mike, wally, frank and crew raising up the bar another notch. its impressive what you guys do down there to raise our sport to another level.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Thanks Mike!!!

She is a beauty. I got to ride her yesterday with my usual wrecking crew, so I really got a chance to get a feel for her. I had no idea that updrading could make such a dramatic difference.

it was amazing!

Ruth

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl
    She is a beauty. I got to ride her yesterday with my usual wrecking crew, so I really got a chance to get a feel for her. I had no idea that updrading could make such a dramatic difference.

it was amazing!

Ruth

In the words of the late Steve Irwin " Look at her, aint she a beauty" Glad you had fun at the event and time to ride your new Bike.

thanks

mike
    NMBPMIke

mtbnj.com

I wish my name was Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by Surfrider
    Hey Ruth-

just kidding, my hats off to all you folks who put together a great outing. I didnt participate but cruised through a few times on my mary ss to see that it was a well enjoyed event. Im glad everyone had a good time.

walter

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I really had a great time coaching my group of girls(Jason's Angels). I can't wait till next season. I hope that I was helpful. See you on the trails.

mtbr member
    Always the ladies man jay. It must be that devil may care smile.

Members who have read this thread: 0