6 mile...- Mtbr.com

Thread: 6 mile...

mtbr member

6 mile...

After all this rain when do we think 6 mile will be in prime shape?
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Everytime im in the area it rains or we just had a lot of rain...on the nj mtb site they say a boat is the only thing u can ride on six mile. So frustrating..will have to scratch my plan again. Anywhere else on the way north near gsp or tpk heading to nyc from philly area in nj?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Lewis Morris near Morristown is an option. It may not be as technical and gnarly as Six mile but its in the area and usually can get decent riding in at any time.

mtbr member
    Yea maybe a boat would be the best bet for 6mi. I'll give LM a go this week. Unfortunately the weather looks wonderful again this week...
    Mary ss shenanigans

WooHoo Biking!!!!
    I rode Hartshorne today and it was great. Good conditions and not muddy at all.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    6MR is in perfect condition as of 2 days ago...

mtbr member
    I'm going to try to get there tomorrow morning. I'll post after the ride on conditions.
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smwill214 View Post
    Lewis Morris near Morristown is an option. It may not be as technical and gnarly as Six mile but its in the area and usually can get decent riding in at any time.
    Six Mile Run "technical and Gnarly"? It's the one place I have no qualms taking my wife for a ride. She rides a few times a season. I must say I do enjoy riding there. Love the flow. I would also like to know when it'll be ride-able. Lewis Morris is ten minutes from my garage and I ride there a lot. It's pretty rooted and has a lot of climbing.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbnj.com
    did the full loop at 6 Mile this morning on the cross bike, fast and dry. Come on out!
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Nice nice, I'm trying to get a buddy to go with me this morning.
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbnj.com
    new bridge installed this past week too, enjoy, its a ton better than what was there!
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
    new bridge installed this past week too, enjoy, its a ton better than what was there!
    Bridge is awesome. Great job. If I lived closer I'd be all over lending a hand in trail building/maintenance. Not sure when you guys work on it though. When we got to it I stopped and was like this wasn't here a week ago, lol.

Trail conditions today were seriously phenomenal. Did about 17.5 miles, my buddies were a little tired if it were just me I would have gone back out. Took a pretty good spill on the small double at the red/blue trail head by the big river crossing, bent a rail on my saddle. Overshot the landing by a few feet and a rigid bike doesn't have much give when landing on flat ground haha. Knew I should have brought the GoPro...
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I rode 6 mile run today for the first time. I parked at the route 27 lot and rode out to South Middlebush road and then back to route 27. On the return trip, I bypassed the boring as hell twisty cedar forest trail section. I could have fallen asleep riding that section. It's ok but I like Chimney Rock and Sourlands much better.

A big to the guys that maintain those trails,though. Very nice job! Nice truss type bridge,too.

Also, there are some very fun sections of trail too. Especially near the beginning.

Did I miss any good stuff by not riding on the other side of South Middlebush Road?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbeck View Post
    I rode 6 mile run today for the first time. I parked at the route 27 lot and rode out to South Middlebush road and then back to route 27. On the return trip, I bypassed the boring as hell twisty cedar forest trail section. I could have fallen asleep riding that section. It's ok but I like Chimney Rock and Sourlands much better.

Did I miss any good stuff by not riding on the other side of South Middlebush Road?
    If you were bored riding Twisties (orange) you weren't riding fast enough, I fly through that section and it's a blast. I don't know many of the road names in that area except Canal and Jacques usually park at those 2 lots. I pretty much ride Red, Blue, Orange, and White to their full lengths about 18 miles. I'd ride 6mi any day over Chimney, haven't been to Sourlands.
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    [QUOTE=rob.char;8117349 I'd ride 6mi any day over Chimney, haven't been to Sourlands.[/QUOTE]

Everybody likes something different. Sourlands has more rocks than Chimney Rock. A single speed won't work well there unless you're very strong and experienced at riding rocks. It's best to have a guide show you a loop or else you could do more pushing than riding.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Everybody likes something different. Sourlands has more rocks than Chimney Rock. A single speed won't work well there unless you're very strong and experienced at riding rocks. It's best to have a guide show you a loop or else you could do more pushing than riding.
    That is true! I went to Sourlands for the first time with my cousin and his friend Tuesday. We are all relatively new at this and we did do alot of pushing. No doubt it was tough, my cousin claims he will never go back, but i had alot of fun. It really felt like i accomplished something.

Like i have heard many many times before IT IS ROCKY AS HELL, but the down hill stuff is fun!

My friend rides there almost once a week or whenever he has time. He will be my guide when i go back, we'll have to see about my cousin.

mtbr member
    I do ride a singlespeed so I'm partial haha
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I rode 6mile again today. This time I rode the section between Canal road and South Middlebush road. I think the trail colors were white red and blue. I think these trails are much better than the section near route 27. It's a little technical and elevation changes are a little more abrupt. I wasn't disappointed this time. Although I would like to see less bridges and more stream crossings.

I ride a trail system in Maryland that has about 20 stream crossings and maybe 2 bridges. It's kind of like combining 6mile, Hartshorne and Chimney Rock. It don't get much better than that!

mtbr member
    I ride a trail system in Maryland that has about 20 stream crossings and maybe 2 bridges. It's kind of like combining 6mile, Hartshorne and Chimney Rock. It don't get much better than that!
    Near Baltimore by any chance?
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rob.char View Post
    Near Baltimore by any chance?
    Yes, Patapsco Valley State Park. I've been camping & riding there two weekends per year. For the past 8 years. Best thing about the place is the diversified trail system. It's a combination of several of the best trail systems in NJ. It's pretty big too. I've never been able to ride the whole thing in a long weekend - Fri,Sat, Sun. Of course,by the time Sunday comes around,I'm too spent and sore to ride more than 2 hours.

Are you ready to go? Got a suspension bike? If not Fair Hill,in Maryland would be better suited for SS. It's not quite as diversified or rugged as Patapsco but probably more than twice as big, 110 miles of mostly hard pack trails.

Where do you live? I'm near Trenton,NJ

mtbr member
    I have family in Baltimore County so next time I go down I will have to bring the bike. I'm in Hunterdon County, just outside Clinton.
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rob.char View Post
    I have family in Baltimore County so next time I go down I will have to bring the bike. I'm in Hunterdon County, just outside Clinton.
    Buy a map of the trails from their website. Start off at the Rolling Road trailhead. It's directly across the street from the park & ride.There's a very wide shoulder in that area where everyone parks. Best bet is to go on a weekend and ask someone if they can show you a nice loop. It's a difficult park to navigate on your own as some trails end at a road with no indication as to where it begins again. Sometimes you have to ride almost a mile on the road. A map is therefore necessary if going on your own although it won't show you the best direction to ride the trails nor does it show all of the trails in the park. The map shows elevation contours too, which is very helpful as there is 400 feet of elevation change.

Good luck......

mtbr member
    i wanna go to six mile really badly, do they have jumps there?

Ghost Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Big C View Post
    i wanna go to six mile really badly, do they have jumps there?
    Here is a video of what to expect at 6MR: http://www.videotrailreviews.com/SixMileRun

This is a video of the Alexandria Pump Track in Milford NJ which has a jump line:

For more info on the pump track go here: http://www.jorba.org/node/31

The only other option for legal jumps in NJ is Diablo Freeride park.

mtbr member
    ok, thanks. six mile looks so fun in that video

mtbr member
    i gotta find my way over there one day...how is it for riding a hardtail there? doable?
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by henry9419 View Post
    i gotta find my way over there one day...how is it for riding a hardtail there? doable?
    You can happily ride Six Mile on a rigid single speed. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun place to ride and I love the place but there is nothing difficult about it with very little climbing. It is basically fast, flowing, twisty single track. I take beginners there.

Oh! I only own a 29" hardtail.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    It is basically fast, flowing, twisty single track.
    sounds awesome i cant wait now to get down there!!!
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    i have to go sometime this summer, only thing is im not old enough to drive, neither of my parents bike, and its an hour away.

Ghost Rider
    I would suggest you go over to MTBNJ.com and post up in the "Rides, Races and Events" section that you would like to go 6MR and are looking for someone who lives close you can ride with and who can also give you a lift.

Good chance someone will respond ...great bunch of people over there.

Members who have read this thread: 0