Zuni Mountains still melting...- Mtbr.com
    saddlemeat

Zuni Mountains still melting...

I had the chance to hike the upper portions of Quaking Aspen, Broken Nose, and Turkey Nest trails yesterday. There are still melting snowbanks up there but, depending how much moisture we get in the next few days, mid April looks like a solid go. We hate to see ruts form on our trails because we rely on rolling grade dips to keep them drained and ruts just negate all that work. I repaired a few ruts left by some early season newbs... grrr
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the update, much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Heading out to our land in the Zunis this weekend. We're northeast of El Morro Nat. Mon. Been itching to explore some logging roads up from our place into the Nat. Forest land. Two loops. The bigger takes you up to the divide. Will post conditions. Two weeks ago was very little snow left near us, but ground was still soggy. Canyons still have some water running. Also hiked up to Ramah Falls north of Timberlake Ranch and it was roaring, so still plenty of snowmelt at the higher elevations it seems.

Int'l Man of Leisure
    There might be 4-6 inches of fresh pow after today...
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Was up in the Zunis last weekend (April 7/8). No biking, but I hiked around a good bit up to 8200ft. Trail conditions were great. Very minimal snow anywhere but in very small patches in the shadows on the northern slopes. But I saw nothing on any exposed areas like trails. Soil was dry on surface but packed well under foot. I think now would be the time to get out and start establishing/packing.

saddlemeat
    ^I agree, the trails are dry and waiting to be ridden in, the treads fluff up a little when the snow melts. I rode the Strawberry Canyon trail on Sunday, it was completely dry and in great condition.

Let the 2012 season commence...
    I ride with the best dogs.

Members who have read this thread: 0