Zuni Mountains Any Trails On East End?- Mtbr.com
    saddlemeat

New question here. Zuni Mountains Any Trails On East End?

Just wondering if anyone is riding in the Zunis in areas other than the McGaffey and Twin Springs general areas. I'm thinking areas like Zuni Canyon, Mt Sedgewick/Ojo Redondo Campground, Valle Largo, Bluewater, Whispering Cedars, Paxton Springs, Bonita Canyon, and maybe some more places in the various foothills to the south and east like Ramah, El Morro, San Rafael, Milan and others I can't name at the moment?

I'm trying to assemble a comprehensive picture of mountain biking activity in the Zuni Mountains so that we can plan for the future in terms of connectivity and the usfs designation process. As we all know, the Zuni Mountains cover a lot of land area that is broken into sub-areas by ridges, canyons, and lava flows, and parcels of private land.

Anyhow, other than giving me the guided tour (!!!!) I would appreciate any info, maps, or better yet gpx files that can be sent my way. Responses will remain annonymous unless otherwise directed. I know there are developers out there who want in on this process also, although I'm not sure how many of you frequent this forum.

Bill Siebersma
    Gallup Trails 2010
    Zuni Mountain Trail Partnership

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Bill,
    Tom Mayer mentioned he has been doing some mapping/exploring on that side. He hasn't found much singletrack, but apparently there are lots of old roads some of which have reverted to ST and of course many game/cattle trails. You can contact him through his web site: abundantadventures.com I know he'd be happy to show you what he's got.
    Richard
    Don't hate me because I'm Ti

saddlemeat

Thanks td

Quote Originally Posted by tricky dick
    Bill,
    Tom Mayer mentioned he has been doing some mapping/exploring on that side. He hasn't found much singletrack, but apparently there are lots of old roads some of which have reverted to ST and of course many game/cattle trails. You can contact him through his web site: abundantadventures.com I know he'd be happy to show you what he's got.
    Richard
    Thanks for the tip, Tom was very responsive and helpful and offered to work with me.

Anymore? Anyone?
    I ride with the best dogs.

banned
    Sep 2005
    That would have been my referral. There is also a guy who used to post here quite a bit...his handle is weasel. He and Eric B ride out there quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    i went riding in bonita canyon the other day. Im new to this and dont know much about trails. But I think we rode a 4 wheeler trail in a 2 hour loop. it was pretty good XC riding

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Zuni Mountains Any Trails On East End?

Since this thread got bumped I thought I would repost something from another forum that might get more traction here. I've been riding on the east end of the Zunis for a while now as well as out by El Malpais and chain of craters. I would love to hear from others exploring this area. It has great potential for future singletrack/trails development.

I have ridden in Bonita Canyon a few times, including a bikepacking overnighter. There are lots of side canyons to explore as well. Most trails are old logging roads but there are also some well worn singletrack/animal trail sections. Especially fun to hit heading down to SR53. Up at the northern end by FR57 there is also a large sandstone/slick rock exposure that is very fun to explore.

Here is my post from the other forum:

I have never ridden Mount Taylor, but I have done quite a bit of exploring in the southeastern end of the Zunis as well as in El Malpais National Conservation Area. Below are some links to posts about these trips. The Zuni riding is largely on old logging roads, some of which are maintained today as forest roads, but many others are not, which makes for some great exploration off the beaten path. There is a lot of old logging archaeology around Ė old cabins, sawmill ruins, decommissioned windmills, old railbeds, corrals, etc. And some amazing views.

We own some land near El Morro National Monument so that has been the impetus to explore that area of the Zunis. I still have yet to make it to McGaffey/Hilso or the High Desert Trail system around Gallup, but I hear both areas are fantastic. Which I donít doubt. The videos I have seen are just like where I have ridden, only with developed singletrack. Hoping to make it out there this summer. Or possibly the NM Endurance Series ride out there in October (there is a 50 and 100 mile option)

Also check the notes from these folks who are attempting to ride the CDT south to north. Apparently it is not legal to ride the CDT sections in the El Malpais National Conservation Area. Obviously I was not aware of this on my two trips through that area: Continental Divide Trail (not GDMBR) thru-ride - looking for local help.

You can see more pics from riding out that way at High Altitude Homestead

saddlemeat
    Here is some info and maps on proposed new trail for the east end:

Mapping the Zuni's - Zuni Mountains Trail Partnership

JXG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    Here is some info and maps on proposed new trail for the east end:

Mapping the Zuni's - Zuni Mountains Trail Partnership
    This is an amazing initiative and will be the next step towards putting NM on the mountain biking destination list.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hello, I am part of a new organization called Cycle Cibola County. We are having meetings the first Wednesday of each month starting June 3rd to discuss things like trails in the Zuni's/Mt Taylor, and making the Cibola County area more bicycle friendly.
    This is an invitation to you or anyone else who may be interested in being a part of this initiative. Please, come join us at the Double Six Art Gallery, in Grants, NM. Meeting begins at 6pm.

saddlemeat
    ^PKLA, I hope your effort goes well, lots of great trail country in your area. It is encouraging that you are working to develop an interest in bicycling, that is exactly what is needed to further the trails agenda on the east end of the mountain. Maybe we could have a strategy meeting at Twin Springs trailhead on FR50 sometime, I think that is about in the middle of the mountain, and the east end of Gallup Trails operating area.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks for the support. As far as a strategy meeting, that sounds great. I've yet to see the terrain out that way. I'm sure i have some friends who would like to come along as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0