Withdrawal area riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Withdrawal area riding

I read/heard anecdotes from last fall of riders being cited by Air Force authorities for riding in the withdrawal area, such as at the top of Otero canyon. Anyone know what the real deal currently is? Is that a no-go at least until the current base commander moves on?

Fragilie
    shot on sight
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member

Withdrawal area riding

Itís the Park Rangers that will cite you for going back there. Though, I donít think they can be back there often to cite people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It is not advisable to ride in that area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    It is not advisable to ride in that area.
    Can you expand on that a little bit? My understanding is that it was never really advisable to ride in that area. Have things changed for the worse?

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Can you expand on that a little bit? My understanding is that it was never really advisable to ride in that area. Have things changed for the worse?
    What's there to expand on? It wasn't advisable since they posted it and it still isn't. Why would people talk about doing unadvised activity on a public forum.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Three problems here. One is, if you going to poach sh*t don't talk about it, especially in public. Second is, if they ask you not to go there who the f*ck are you to think its OK if you go there? And third is, as Americans we're entitled to do whatever the f*ck we want. After all, its all about ME!

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    Three problems here. One is, if you going to poach sh*t don't talk about it, especially in public. Second is, if they ask you not to go there who the f*ck are you to think its OK if you go there? And third is, as Americans we're entitled to do whatever the f*ck we want. After all, its all about ME!
    You must be new to New Mexico and the internet.

I, for one, would never ride in that area. Way too dangerous since the radiation from Sandia labs awoke the zombies.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm illiterate, so I have no idea what this thread is about, but often when I'm riding my bicycle in that area I can hear Air Force commandos and mountain lions rustling around in the woods just off the trail. They'll never catch me of course, but the rest of y'all are easy pickings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy View Post
    I'm illiterate, so I have no idea what this thread is about, but often when I'm riding my bicycle in that area I can hear Air Force commandos and mountain lions rustling around in the woods just off the trail. They'll never catch me of course, but the rest of y'all are easy pickings.
    I can't speak to the commandos, but it's probably just Freddy. He's just a big ***** cat.

Withdrawal area riding-819346d1374858529-mountain-lion-sighting-otero-canyon-cat.jpg
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob View Post
    You must be new to New Mexico and the internet.

I, for one, would never ride in that area. Way too dangerous since the radiation from Sandia labs awoke the zombies.
    What do we say, "born here all my life, brah!" Of course I haven't ever lived in ABQ and wouldn't, but that is besides the point.

Trail Rider
    So, hypothetically speaking, if one were to hit Cajun Pine from 3 Bottles, then descend Drop In, you might end up at the top of Otero/West Ridge which is technically illegal. Problem is, you took legal trails to reach that point and there are no signs anywhere telling you that you have encroached upon the withdrawal area. You'd have to descend either Otero, or West Ridge for 3-4 miles before any signage would pop up.

Not that I would ever do such a thing.
    2020 SC CC Hightower

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    What's there to expand on? It wasn't advisable since they posted it and it still isn't. Why would people talk about doing unadvised activity on a public forum.
    That's different from "people have been getting arrested", which was more along the lines of what I was asking.

Inadvisable, got it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    That's different from "people have been getting arrested", which was more along the lines of what I was asking.

Inadvisable, got it.
    I guess you could say, it's the kind of thing where if you have to ask people on the internet if you should do it, then you really shouldn't do it.

High Alpine Adventure
    I guess you could say, it's the kind of thing where if you have to ask people on the internet if you should do it, then you really shouldn't do it.
    And what about building illegal stunts up there and then bitching in a huge email dis-list to just about every mountain biker in Albuquerque about the perception that some one specific was tearing out shit and needed to be stopped?

I guess that's alright?
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

What? There's more?
    It's not 'technically' illegal, it's just 'regular' illegal and has been since the 40's. And there are signs all over the place. Going from Otero to Rogue Otero you come close enough to a sign to catch a virus from it. That said, We've all ridden it, and if you think the Air Force is ambitious enough to care about this forum, you've not met them.
    If some commander has a bee in his cap about it now, just wait and he'll be promoted of retired and we can get on with our lives.
    And so much for the Unexploded Ordinance excuse; the masticators busted that myth.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    So, hypothetically speaking, if one were to hit Cajun Pine from 3 Bottles, then descend Drop In, you might end up at the top of Otero/West Ridge which is technically illegal. Problem is, you took legal trails to reach that point and there are no signs anywhere telling you that you have encroached upon the withdrawal area. You'd have to descend either Otero, or West Ridge for 3-4 miles before any signage would pop up.
    That hypothetical route has signs now. They were made obvious within the last few days.

There are too many bears and tigers around there anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aleat0ry View Post
    That hypothetical route has signs now. They were made obvious within the last few days.

There are too many bears and tigers around there anyway.
    I mean, should we be surprised that there are signs there now? After reading all this, they're probably going to start patrolling again, too. Good job guys.

Trail Rider
    The 377th has a new commander: Col. David S. Miller, last June July.

Apparently he has a bug up his @ss about the withdrawal area. They've been patrolling up there since last summer. People I know have been warned, threatened with citation.

I don't think they're reading MTBR forums.
    2020 SC CC Hightower

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I mean, should we be surprised that there are signs there now? After reading all this, they're probably going to start patrolling again, too. Good job guys.
    Surely they will read this and start patrolling again. And by that I mean, LOL.

What? There's more?
    Miller won't be the problem. June you say; he's counting days until he can leave this untidy mess. It'll be the SFG commander what causes unrest. Understandable you want to protect your perimeter. Kirtland is an anomaly, even for the Air Farce. Just wait until things get quiet, then we can ride again. Yes, this is America and we do what we want...within limits.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy View Post
    Surely they will read this and start patrolling again. And by that I mean, LOL.

So, you're saying it's just a coincidence that a sign turned up on Drop In a week after someone posted about it missing?

Also, we know for a fact that at least one of the rangers visits this forum. And now people are admitting that they ride in the withdraw area. Why would anyone do that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    So, you're saying it's just a coincidence that a sign turned up on Drop In a week after someone posted about it missing?

Also, we know for a fact that at least one of the rangers visits this forum. And now people are admitting that they ride in the withdraw area. Why would anyone do that?
    The authorities aren't idiots, they don't need to read this forum to know what's going on, and you're not going to keep it on the down low by scolding people here.

But yeah, it is a coincidence. The Air Force has hired someone specifically to patrol the area, install new signs, and put up cameras. That didn't all happen in a week in response to a thread in a mountain bike forum. Missing signs would have been noticed pretty soon even if not alerted by a forum post.

Apparently the Forest Service is pissed about a damaged archeology site too.

The cameras have opened a few eyes by putting some numbers to the amount of people who ride these trails, and they are starting to understand that signs and tickets won't solve the problem alone while the attractive nuisance remains.

It's disappointing for sure, especially since it's 99% a whimsical bureaucratic decision, but not much that can be done about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Fawk. Sorry I asked.

Bandolero

It's just our secret...

I can unequivocally vouch that nobody from the Forest Service reads this forum.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--