Winsor Trail- Mtbr.com

Thread: Winsor Trail

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Winsor Trail

I have never ridden this trail before and have heard great things, I wanna try it before the snow starts. Give me all the details I should know before heading out there to ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    With two vehicles and people, you can self-shuttle Winsor by leaving one vehicle in Tesuque and driving the other up to the ski basin. There are two small parking areas for the Winsor trail, but they fill up quickly. Tesuque is small and easy enough to find somewhere else to park if these areas are full, though. You could also leave a car in Tesuque and then catch the blue bus from South Capitol Station (there are other stops, but the bus often fills up quickly, so get it at South Capitol to be safe). Once you are up to the ski basin, climb the road a little to the Winsor trail. It is easy to mistake Rio en Medio (a very fun, but much more technically challenging descent than Winsor) for the Winsor trail, as it starts right from the ski basin parking area. Taking REM all the way down could result in some logistical challenges if your car is in Tesuque.

As far as Winsor goes, it is usually pretty loose and dusty up top. The most technical part is at the top, but it is not severely technical, just some rocks, roots and dustiness. The trail becomes flowier in the middle, passing through nice woods and meadows. Toward the bottom, you'll start crossing the river quite a few times, you will get wet. It is a long, fast and fun trail for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I should also mention, if you want to make it a bigger day, you can park at Aspen Vista, climb up Aspen Vista (~2k feet in ~six miles on a fire road), then descend Raven's Ridge to the ski basin, then take Winsor down from there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Sounds like a great time, I am definitely going to have to do a little planning for this ride. Me and my buddy both have hard tails so I don't think we are going to be getting too crazy. I think we will park one truck in Tesuque and take the other up to the ski hill. Is it a hard trail to follow? I am concerned how clearly the trail will be marked so I don't end up far from Tesuque like at Nambe lake or something haha.

Rocks belong
    hardtail is fine on winsor
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Go early and ride on a weekday if you can. There can be a lot of hikers which will keep you from really going fast.

I honestly prefer the climb up from Tesque to the descent. But I like to climb.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by v1ru5 View Post
    Sounds like a great time, I am definitely going to have to do a little planning for this ride. Me and my buddy both have hard tails so I don't think we are going to be getting too crazy. I think we will park one truck in Tesuque and take the other up to the ski hill. Is it a hard trail to follow? I am concerned how clearly the trail will be marked so I don't end up far from Tesuque like at Nambe lake or something haha.
    I'd highly recommend using the app Trailforks for planning the ride, that will help you out a lot. Winsor is also very well marked at the trail junctions, so you should be fine. (Plus you can't end up at Nambe Lake because it's up Winsor from the ski basin and through the Wilderness Gate)

As someone suggested, I'd highly recommend the Aspen Vista -> Raven's Ridge -> Winsor loop - one of the most epic rides you can do around here. In addition, my favorite variation on Winsor is to ride down to Chamisa trail, climb that to the saddle, and then take a right and ride Saddleback. If you really want to go for it you can link that into Dale Ball.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You guys are recommending Raven's Ridge to a dude on a hard tail that doesn't want to get too crazy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    You guys are recommending Raven's Ridge to a dude on a hard tail that doesn't want to get too crazy?
    Haha was going to say the same thing. No sir, not recommended. That'd just be a hiking trip with a bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Haha was going to say the same thing. No sir, not recommended. That'd just be a hiking trip with a bike.
    My Raven's Ridge suggestion was before he mentioned having a hardtail and not wanting to get too crazy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I appreciate this, It would have been my very first ride ever all over again. First time on a bike n got taken to dale ball and almost said f this biking stuff. Gladly I stuck with it an kept at it. Ok so Ravens Ridge is definitely out of the question

Trail Rider
    Last push to the top of Raven's Ridge above 12,000 feet
    Winsor Trail-20190809_113837.jpg
    2020 SC CC Hightower

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    Last push to the top of Raven's Ridge above 12,000 feet
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190809_113837.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	260.4 KB 
ID:	1284061
    That actually looks really fun. I don't mind a lot of climbing it's just the hardcore downhill I am not confident enough yet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    Not only that, but no one's dropping Winsor after Raven's, that's what REM is for.