White ridge and other trail advice for Thanksgiving week..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

White ridge and other trail advice for Thanksgiving week..

I'll be passing through the state on the way to Sedona the weekend before Thanksgiving. It looks like I should stop and ride white ridge?

Is this a ride that I should be doing alone? What I should ask is, is there cell service and should someone in the state of NM know I am there.

Also what are the trails like at Top of The World area, and is it worth riding from there out to White ridge and back.

Should I be riding stairway to hell and white ridge? What are the must rides? Is it too sandy and is that why Trailforks says "fat bike"? Whats the deal?!

A little about me. I'm a cat 1 racer and can ride for hours. The more technical the trails, the more I enjoy the ride, I avoid gravel roads unless I need them to connect some goodness, but would likely ride the road to speed up the process of getting from the good stuff to the other good stuff. Currently looks like I'll be on a Top fuel, so 3 foot drops to flat are good and 5 footers with a decent transition are acceptable. It would be nice to know about any blind surprises.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    I'll be passing through the state on the way to Sedona the weekend before Thanksgiving. It looks like I should stop and ride white ridge?

Is this a ride that I should be doing alone? What I should ask is, is there cell service and should someone in the state of NM know I am there.

Also what are the trails like at Top of The World area, and is it worth riding from there out to White ridge and back.

Should I be riding stairway to hell and white ridge? What are the must rides? Is it too sandy and is that why Trailforks says "fat bike"? Whats the deal?!

A little about me. I'm a cat 1 racer and can ride for hours. The more technical the trails, the more I enjoy the ride, I avoid gravel roads unless I need them to connect some goodness, but would likely ride the road to speed up the process of getting from the good stuff to the other good stuff. Currently looks like I'll be on a Top fuel, so 3 foot drops to flat are good and 5 footers with a decent transition are acceptable. It would be nice to know about any blind surprises.
    Weather is always the variable in late November. It could be clear and dry but it could be somewhat snowy/soggy (sort of early in the season for full on winter). The higher the altitude the greater the chances of snow. Albuquerque is 5K in elevation. Santa Fe is 7K. The mountains around ABQ are at or near 11K while the mountains around SF are around 12,500 to 13K.

Sounds like you want an adventure. Not sure from what you describe if you'd find White Ridge to be that sort of place. If you are just passing through Albuquerque on I-40 on your way to AZ and don't have much time, it might be the thing to do. But if you have time, perhaps you might consider going up to Glorieta. There are trails up there of all stripes--flow, technical, full bore enduro and everything in between. If you are fit and want some technical stuff, it is low enough in elevation (about 6K at the base with climbs up to 9K or so) that it most likely won't have snow or mush, but it is a super fun place to test your abilities and capacities.

Here is a link to the camps. https://glorieta.org/tag/mountain-biking Here is another link to the trail system up there. https://www.trailforks.com/region/glorieta-camps-18407

It is about an hour north of ABQ. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    White Mesa/Ridge is a really cool and fairly adventurous ride. Its roughly a 10 mile loop, and makes you feel more remote/exposed than you really are. It is not extremely technical although there are some steep parts. You can make it as much fun as you want by going fast. You do not need a fat bike for White Mesa/Ridge. If you want steep and technical enduro style trails, go to Glorieta or climb Aspen Vista to descend Raven's Ridge to Rio en Medio in the Santa Fe National Forest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    Weather is always the variable in late November. It could be clear and dry but it could be somewhat snowy/soggy (sort of early in the season for full on winter). The higher the altitude the greater the chances of snow. Albuquerque is 5K in elevation. Santa Fe is 7K. The mountains around ABQ are at or near 11K while the mountains around SF are around 12,500 to 13K.

Sounds like you want an adventure. Not sure from what you describe if you'd find White Ridge to be that sort of place. If you are just passing through Albuquerque on I-40 on your way to AZ and don't have much time, it might be the thing to do. But if you have time, perhaps you might consider going up to Glorieta. There are trails up there of all stripes--flow, technical, full bore enduro and everything in between. If you are fit and want some technical stuff, it is low enough in elevation (about 6K at the base with climbs up to 9K or so) that it most likely won't have snow or mush, but it is a super fun place to test your abilities and capacities.

Here is a link to the camps. https://glorieta.org/tag/mountain-biking Here is another link to the trail system up there. https://www.trailforks.com/region/glorieta-camps-18407

It is about an hour north of ABQ. Have fun!
    Thanks,

Glorietta was my on my bucket list after seeing videos of chilidog.

I may have a yeti SB5.5 built up by the time I do this trip, so this could be the ticket.

Is there anywhere to sleep in Glorietta?

Option B would be to go all the way past Santa Fe and ride Gallup.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Thanks,

Glorietta was my on my bucket list after seeing videos of chilidog.

I may have a yeti SB5.5 built up by the time I do this trip, so this could be the ticket.

Is there anywhere to sleep in Glorietta?

Option B would be to go all the way past Santa Fe and ride Gallup.
    Not sure of the options in Glorieta itself, but it's only 20 minutes or so from Santa Fe, which has plenty of lodging. Gallup is about 3 hours away from Santa Fe, but I am not familiar with the trails in Gallup, so I couldn't say it they are better than Glorieta or not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Gallup has some great riding, but it cannot be compared to Glorieta for technical riding, as the camp is way better!
    There is a possibility to camp or stay in Glorieta. You will have to call them to inquire. 505-257-5216.